• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool Tramway updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There were quite a number of threads in the past on various matters and I wondered, like the master Manchester Metrolink existing master thread, that one master Blackpool Tramway thread should be on the forum now to cover all queries and aspects.

There was some comment made some time ago that there was not an up-to-date list of all the stops that are now served by the refurbished tramway. I noticed that Blackpool Transport's website under its tramway section does have a list. Is that list the up-to-date one ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

If you see the list of tram stops on the Blackpool Transport "Tramway" section of their website, there seems to be more stops shown on there than in the link that you were so kind as to submit.

I remember seeing a comment being made on another forum to this many months ago that the list on "TheTrams.co.uk" website showed certain differences to the stops on the then-projected newly-reopened system .

Tramfan

The list of stops on the Blackpool Transport website is up to date and (almost) correct, except that Burlington Road is actually called Burlington Road West, and West Pleasure Beach is actually just Pleasure Beach - someone's made a bit of typo there.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The list of stops on the Blackpool Transport website is up to date and (almost) correct, except that Burlington Road is actually called Burlington Road West, and West Pleasure Beach is actually just Pleasure Beach - someone's made a bit of typo there.

I have sent an e-mail to Blackpool Transport with regard to the point you have just made.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
UPDATE ON THE ABOVE

I have just received an e-mail back from Blackpool Transport to apologise for their two mistakes on the list of tram stops and that their IT Department has been informed to correct matters.

Established Member
Was in Blackpool earlier in the year, impressed by the new trams but not many people using them.

Gazette Article
Heritage trams service cut back
Published on 06/04/2013 11:00
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/n...ews/heritage-trams-service-cut-back-1-5561010
BLACKPOOL’S heritage tram service is to be scaled back over the summer season because of poor passenger numbers.
But Blackpool Transport today announced it hopes to deliver improved service levels and increased reliability on the new tramway, 12 months after it was introduced.
A total of 3.7m passengers have set foot on the new trams since April last year – but the heritage service is being scaled back due to relatively low uptake during last summer’s school holidays.
It will now run over bank holiday weekends and during a special heritage tram week set to be announced later this summer, although service levels during the Illuminations period will remain unchanged.
Blackpool Transport’s director of delivery, Bob Mason, said: “We’re trying to run it more as an attraction.
“It’s about trying to make it special rather than the norm.
“We ran it in the school holidays last year and the patronage was very low, so we’ve taken the decision this year to up our operation over bank holidays but to run it on fewer days.”
However, Mr Mason has described the number of passengers using the new trams as “outstanding”.
He said: “It’s been a very big learning curve for us and as a result of that we’ve made changes to the timetable and service levels as we’ve gone along.
“We operated a much improved service over Easter this year compared to what we did last year.
“We must not underplay the role that the drivers, conductors and engineering staff have had in making it such a success.”
Keep our heritage trams
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/n...al-business/keep-our-heritage-trams-1-5565278
Published on 09/04/2013 12:26

TRAM enthusiasts and political figures are appealing to Blackpool Transport to retain a more regular heritage service this summer.
The company announced last week it would be restricting its heritage tram timetable this coming season because of poor uptake during school holidays in 2012.
But Coun Tony Williams, leader of the opposition on Blackpool Council, says he hopes the company will review its decision.
He said: “I was disappointed to hear the heritage trams would only be brought out on Bank Holidays.
“I understand Blackpool Transport has had some concerns in regard to disruption of the regular service due to old vehicles and also as to how popular they really are.
“While the heritage fleet is most certainly a valuable tourist attraction, there has to be a balance between old and new.
“I do hope Blackpool Transport might be able to review this decision and find a way to make these important heritage trams a regular feature along the Prom.”
The heritage fleet will now run over bank holiday weekends and during a special heritage tram week set to be announced later this summer, although service levels during the Illuminations period will remain unchanged.
Almost four million passengers used the new trams in the past 12 months.
John Garnham, of Cherry Tree Road, Marton, has previously expressed concerns the heritage trams would be sidelined once the new Supertram fleet was introduced in April last year.
He said: “They are important in keeping things visitor friendly and have been one of the key icons of Blackpool.
“Visitors in the main are going to arrive in the summer and just aren’t going to see the old trams at all, and they’ve had no say in it.
“We seem to have lost sight of the fact we are a tourist destination.”
But Bob Mason, Blackpool Transport’s director of 
delivery, said: “What’s important is when we operated last year we were operating at weekends and through the summer holidays.
“We only had two trams out each day, so this year what we’ve taken the decision to do is on bank holidays we’re putting four out each day and we’re also going to do that for a late August week.
“So I personally don’t 
believe the level of service with the heritage trams is worse than last year.”

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Keep our heritage trams
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/n...al-business/keep-our-heritage-trams-1-5565278

But Bob Mason, Blackpool Transport’s director of 
delivery, said: “What’s important is when we operated last year we were operating at weekends and through the summer holidays.
“We only had two trams out each day, so this year what we’ve taken the decision to do is on bank holidays we’re putting four out each day and we’re also going to do that for a late August week.

Only two out? I'm not surprised ridership was low.

As a tourist family rather than tram enthusiasts we'd let a tram or two go past to get a heritage one, but how long might you have to hang around for if there's only two out?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Whilst Bank Holidays are seen as an ideal period to run the heritage trams, would it cause much in the way of operational matters to programme other batches of time slots for extra running times for them, as happens with some of the heritage railways.

TrainfanBen

Hope this is ok here (move if necessary) :)

I was just wondering if Blackpool Transport would have a higher patronage on tram services if they cancelled the duplicating bus service (1)

They'd save themselves money in terms of fuel, staff, plus free up a vehicle for other duties. With that in mind the bus service seems a bit... Pointless.

I know there are more complex issues at hand, and I'm no expert so please feel free to share your thoughts, thanks :)

Last edited:
Hope this is ok here (move if necessary) :)

I was just wondering if Blackpool Transport would have a higher patronage on tram services if they cancelled the duplicating bus service (1)

They'd save themselves money in terms of fuel, staff, plus free up a vehicle for other duties. With that in mind the bus service seems a bit... Pointless.

I know there are more complex issues at hand, and I'm no expert so please feel free to share your thoughts, thanks :)

Imo there are a few differences between the No 1 bus and the LRT tram.
The No 1 bus continues to Fleetwood Freeport.
The bus has far more stops, and also taking into consideration may stops on the LRT have been removed, the bus is a lot more convenient to the elderly etc.
Last Season I traveled on a LRT tram at 16.45, both the bus and the tram were packed!
(The bus off peak can be faster!!)

martinsh

Established Member

I think part of the reason for the bus service is to stop other operators running the service.

Also, are ENCTS passes valid on the tram ? They certainly didn't used to be when the bus service started.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think part of the reason for the bus service is to stop other operators running the service. Also, are ENCTS passes valid on the tram ? They certainly didn't used to be when the bus service started.

Many of the elderly holidaymakers in Blackpool have been amazed by this generosity, as in areas such as Greater Manchester, only holders of an ENCTS pass issued by TfGM are allowed free travel on the Manchester Metrolink system in the hours of validity of such passes..

BestWestern

Established Member
Hardly surprising to hear that the heritage run didn't do terribly well, bearing in mind the prices and the tactic of effctively barring 'normal' passengers from making casual journeys on them. Was it ever anything other than totally unrealistic to expect that enough tram enthusiasts would turn up every day to make it profitable? Using cars still carrying last season's allover ads hardly makes the concept appealing to the wider public, most probably wouldn't even acknowledge the difference between those and the 'normal' trams, and even as a gricer myself I'm unlikely to spend a fortune to spend all day sat on a tram with an East Lancs body! Perhaps if they'd left 700 alone and turned her out for service in full regalia, complete with bunting and costumed crew, they might have had some takers willing to part with their wedge. Shame the opportunities were (deliberately?) missed.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Blackpool Transport seemed to run these special events with more of an eye on hard financial commercial returns rather than having someone to plan the events who would have been mindful of the possibilities that existed as a tourist potential to add to the other resort attractions.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Not much of a fanfare or send off considering it was the demise of the UK's last regular service double deck trams. I believe this only leaves Alexandria (some) and Hong Kong left in the world.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Not much of a fanfare or send off considering it was the demise of the UK's last regular service double deck trams. I believe this only leaves Alexandria (some) and Hong Kong left in the world.

Actually, quite a lot was made of the old trams stopping back in November 2011, when that actually happened, with numerous tours and farewells being made by the huge amount of enthusiasts who were in the resort that weekend.

Quite a lot is also being made of the remaining Balloons in the fleet on the rare occasions that they do still run; namely, all serviceable Balloons are expected to operate over the coming Bank Holiday weekend, although I'll make a separate post about that this evening.

Regards,

Jack

Actually, quite a lot was made of the old trams stopping back in November 2011, when that actually happened, with numerous tours and farewells being made by the huge amount of enthusiasts who were in the resort that weekend.

Quite a lot is also being made of the remaining Balloons in the fleet on the rare occasions that they do still run; namely, all serviceable Balloons are expected to operate over the coming Bank Holiday weekend, although I'll make a separate post about that this evening.

Regards,

Jack

Imo a missed opportunity for Blackpool.
If only the old depot was turned into a tram museum.
The old trams could have been out in force on several summer Sundays.
There are only a handful of stops for Heritage trams.
Pleasure Beach North Pier Cabin Bispham
Plus New - Cleveleys Fleetwood Ferry
http://www.blackpooltransport.com/HeritageTickets.aspx

May Bank Holiday and May Half Term Bank Holiday weekends
“Balloonatic Bank Holiday Weekends in May”!
B fleet balloons on loan to Heritage Tram Tours for the first time for both May Bank Holidays!
http://www.blackpooltransport.com/HeritageUpcoming.aspx

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Imo a missed opportunity for Blackpool.
If only the old depot was turned into a tram museum.
The old trams could have been out in force on several summer Sundays.

But who would have run such a Museum? Indeed, if we consider the issues that the heritage trams are having being run by BTS how could a Museum even be financially viable - there would be far more costs incurred than those that BTS are incurring as it is, and I doubt we would have seen so many heritage vehicles returned to service so quickly.

May Bank Holiday and May Half Term Bank Holiday weekends
“Balloonatic Bank Holiday Weekends in May”!
B fleet balloons on loan to Heritage Tram Tours for the first time for both May Bank Holidays!
http://www.blackpooltransport.com/HeritageUpcoming.aspx

Yep, as I mentioned above, here's a little more detail on the upcoming Bank Holiday weekends, with tram allocations as currently known. These are, as ever, subject to change as operational requirements dictate.

Balloonatic Weekend 4/5/6th May
Saturday 4th May
*Heritage Cars
**Brush 631
**Balloon 717 or Balloon 706
*Widened Balloons
**Balloon 700
**Balloon 719 swapping with Balloon 711
Sunday 5th May
*Heritage Cars
**Box 40 or a Boat (Weather dependant)
**Balloon 701
*Widened Balloons
**Balloon 707
**Balloon 718 swapping with Balloon 713
Monday 6th May
*Heritage Cars
**Balloon 701
**Brush 631
*Widened Balloons
**Balloon 709
**Balloon 724 swapping with Balloon 719

On all three days heritage cars could be replaced by Boats if the weather is suitable. There are currently two serviceable Boats, 600 and 604/230.

Over the course of all three days all serviceable Balloons will operate, leaving widened car 720 (door faults) and unmodified car 723 out of use.

Centenary Car Weekend 25/26/27th May
Full details are still to be announced, but the following is confirmed.
Saturday 25th May
*Heritage Cars
**Centenary 648
Sunday 26th May
*Heritage Cars
**Centenary 642 - for one day only prior to final withdrawal

Balloon 723 will also return to use as part of the heritage fleet during this weekend, although which days are still to be confirmed, along with the other operating vehicles.

Other heritage operating days confirmed for 2013 include Tram Sunday on July 21st between Fleetwood (Ash Street/Fisherman's Walk) and Thornton Gate and the August Bank Holiday from August 24th to 26th. There is also expected to be a summer Heritage Tram Week prior to the Illuminations when more regular running will commence.

HTH,

Jack

WatcherZero

Established Member
Not sure if the link will stay working, but first of Blackpools sisters off to the sunny Gold Coast.

tn_au-gold_coast_flexity_tram.jpg

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Not sure if the link will stay working, but first of Blackpools sisters off to the sunny Gold Coast.

tn_au-gold_coast_flexity_tram.jpg

Reminds me more of Croydon's Variotrams than the Flexity 2s from the front end, although of course it is a module design.

Anyway, more information has now been released about the late August Bank Holiday weekend. Same caveats as above, and once a confirmation is made about the Sunday/Monday allocations I'll be sure to update.

Centenary Car Weekend 25/26/27th May
Saturday 25th May
*Heritage Cars
**Centenary 648 debuting in a new green & cream livery
**Balloon 717 or Balloon 706
*Widened Balloons
**Balloon 718
**Balloon 711 swapping with Balloon 700
Sunday 5th May
*Heritage Cars
**Centenary 642 for the last time ever
**Balloon 701 or Balloon 723
*Widened Balloons
**Balloon 713
**Balloon 707 swapping with Balloon 709
Monday 6th May
*Heritage Cars
**Centenary 648
**Balloon 701 or 723 (whichever isn't used the previous day)
*Widened Balloons
**Balloon 719
**Balloon 718 swapping with Balloon 724

Again, the Boats will be on standby in the event of good weather, and all operational Balloons with the exception of Balloon 720 will be in operation.

HTH,

J

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I hope that the coming summer season period may see more postings on this master thread with forum members commenting on operational matters amongst other things. Photographs are also welcomed, similar to those that are sometimes submitted by the more photographically gifted of us, on the Manchester Metrolink master thread.

davetheguard

Established Member
Was in Blackpool earlier in the year, impressed by the new trams but not many people using them.

Sorry to hear this, but my experience last July was completely different. Every modern tram I saw was completely heaving right up to Fleetwood.

The Conductor said it was regularly like this on the new vehicles, which were proving to be extremely popular, and difficult to get all the fares in as a result. It also caused the journey to the end of the line to be rather slow, perhaps as a result of overtime spent at stops.

Locals and regulars will know if my, or the previous poster's, experience is more typical.....

theblackwatch

Established Member
The Heritage trams were popular over the Bank Holiday weekend. I gather that on the Sunday, the 10.36 North Pier-Fleetwood Heritage service actually left some people behind.

Balloon 701 was packed when I saw it in Fleetwood on Bank Holiday Monday.

Attachments

• 701.jpg
    701.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 34

Tramfan

Why is it in the NetworkRail livery? That's hideous!

It was painted yellow in 2005 as the basis for an all over vinyl advert for Palm Beach Hotel. When the advert expired (after the 2008 season I think) the vinyls were removed and it has remained in this undercoat livery ever since.

Darren R

Established Member
It was painted yellow in 2005 as the basis for an all over vinyl advert for Palm Beach Hotel. When the advert expired (after the 2008 season I think) the vinyls were removed and it has remained in this undercoat livery ever since.

That certainly explains the rather sorry-looking state it's in - needs a bit of tlc! Are the remaining heritage vehicles also at the new Starr Gate depot? What are the arrangements for them now?

Status
Not open for further replies.