• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blood Pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
A lower reading of 90 is not normal range,as I pointed out above,its just entering hypertension territory and,as such,needs monitoring at best.

I know what i'm talking about.

Just entering yes, but medically is not classed as high.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SWTH

The GP's opinion is that based on previous results and current stress levels there is nothing to worry about, and is prepared to write a letter confirming that if necessary.

Whilst I appreciate what you are saying hughavinalaf, you will I'm sure appreciate that what the doctor said who actually saw and checked me over is what I'll stick to for now, until proven otherwise. That said, I'm now being even more careful with what I eat and drink, and I'm going to have to squeeze in a few more trips to the swimming pool (currently I manage to go once or twice a week).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Are you in Truro as per your profile? I moved to Redruth as couldn't afford to live there any longer, it's cheaper to drive and pay my rent here than to live in truro and walk to work.
Our wages are well publicised as amongst the lowest and living costs amongst the highest in the country down here.
I used to do those kind of hours when I worked at McDs, I now get similar income to that you mention but only doing 37.5 hours a week.

Near Perranporth, need to be near here for family reasons (childcare etc).

If we moved to Redruth we'd probably burn as much money in fuel as we'd save on rent trekking up to the inlaws/friends/family/etc.

richw

Veteran Member
Near Perranporth, need to be near here for family reasons (childcare etc).

If we moved to Redruth we'd probably burn as much money in fuel as we'd save on rent trekking up to the inlaws/friends/family/etc.

Fair enough, our families are so spread out it doesn't make any difference. My rent here is £200 cheaper than when we were in Truro, for a bigger house in Redruth. I use about £20-30 a week in diesel, so I'm marginally better off.

Don't even get me started on childcare, it would cost more than my wife would earn if she worked.

bigbear

Drink SKIMMED MILK, it brings yr blood pressure down, that is a fact, a year ago my bp was 139/95 now its 110/68....and my bmi is 35....trust me you start drinking o skimmed milk then in time it will come down, obviously green veggies like spinach, broccoli will help too as do kidney beans and also bananas, but no more than 2 bananas a day....you start that and it will come down...

Theurbanjedi

Simply eat sensibly, and commit to undertaking some sort of exercise at least 5 times a week, which could include simply walking as opposed to driving. 20 minutes will do.

Nutrition wise, you may find it advantageous to invest in some sort of nutrition programme - NOT a diet - which provides all you need. I am on one and have lost over a stone in 6 weeks, with a marked reduction in BMI, from 29 to 27, almost at my ideal. I have done nothing overly strenuous, and believe me, it works like a charm.

PM me for more, as I'm not gonna start advertising in a thread!!

UJ

SWTH

I've done Nutrition Plans before and found it a total waste of time and money. Partly because I can't stick to it because of work (breaks taken at odd times and in places with no facilities), and I've found the meals leave me wanting more. I appreciate they work for some, but there is no substitute for good old fashioned exercise combined with eating sensibly. Unfortunately in my current situation neither are easy to do.

rr203

I've done Nutrition Plans before and found it a total waste of time and money. Partly because I can't stick to it because of work (breaks taken at odd times and in places with no facilities), and I've found the meals leave me wanting more. I appreciate they work for some, but there is no substitute for good old fashioned exercise combined with eating sensibly. Unfortunately in my current situation neither are easy to do.
I agree with you, and I know it is not easy, especially if really busy at work and with a young family. I managed to lose 2 stones already, and still losing now. No fad diets, just cutting out unhealthy snacks in front of tv late at night, and sensible homecooked food. Also walking 30 mins each day. Oh, and stick to water instead of juices/fizzy drinks. Well done on the bp test, and good luck for the rest :)

richw

Veteran Member

Many of the nutrition plans have more negatives than positives, losing too much weight too quickly is far worse medically than being obese. Losing weight too quickly can cause cardiac problems.

I agree with you, and I know it is not easy, especially if really busy at work and with a young family. I managed to lose 2 stones already, and still losing now. No fad diets, just cutting out unhealthy snacks in front of tv late at night, and sensible homecooked food. Also walking 30 mins each day. Oh, and stick to water instead of juices/fizzy drinks. Well done on the bp test, and good luck for the rest :)

I was around 20 stone at Christmas, I'm now 17st 9, I have really tried but I've cut out snacking in front of the TV in the evenings, having my evening meal earlier at say 6 instead of 9 or 10, as going to bed full Is bad. I'm also spending time standing instead of sitting at my desk in my office which apparently burns more calories. I've completely cut juice and fizzy drinks only drinking water now and 4-5 litres a day at the moment!

SWTH

That's pretty much what I'm doing. Plus the odd spell throwing lumps of carbonised dinosaur into a big hot kettle.

No snacks, lots of water, and of course, portion control. I do about an hour of walking a day with my Labrador (split am/pm), and have managed to average at least two hours a week swimming, but it's not enough. I do lose far more weight far quicker when I'm firing, mainly because I'm left to my own devices as regards food, and I'm doing a far more physical role. Of course, being voluntary I can't do it all that often.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Many of the nutrition plans have more negatives than positives, losing too much weight too quickly is far worse medically than being obese. Losing weight too quickly can cause cardiac problems.

I find it hard to believe that following an approved nutrition plan will cause an individual to enter catabolysis.

richw

Veteran Member
I find it hard to believe that following an approved nutrition plan will cause an individual to enter catabolysis.

The problem is many of the nutritional plans about are not approved, and cause too much weight to be lost too quick.
The juicing plans on the internet being one of the main culprits, (I'm not referring to juice plus which I understand not to be so bad.) where they just drink juices for weeks on end with no solid food, and is all fruit and veg so no other key nutrition.

Theurbanjedi

nutrition plans are not neccessarily about losing the flab, just about eating correctly, giving your body all it needs, and combining that with appropriate exercise. A nutrition plan is a lot different to a diet!!

I tried the juice diet. I lasted 2 days before I became nauseous and constantly felt starving. Awful.

Shimmer

It could be white coat syndrome as a previous answer said. I have a BMI of 28 and I recently had a random blood pressure check at the docs. It was high, and after going back 3 weeks in a row to get it re checked it was getting progressively higher. My doc was considering medication and then decided i should wear a blood pressure monitor for 24 hrs to get a real picture and this included sleeping and a full working day.
Well, over the 24 hrs the result was bang in the middle of normal for my age. It never went into 'high' readings. He then suggested i have white coat syndrome; my blood pressure goes up whenever i am in a medical situation.
If i get through to a medical with the TOC that i am applying to then this does concern me. I would have to ask them to confirm with my doc about this white coat syndrome should i get a high reading!
If getting the job depends on your bp reading then i would suggest you at least ask your own doctors advice and see if you can try the 24hr monitor. My understanding from my doc is that a lot of surgeries do have them now.

Welshman

Established Member
Not only be aware of "white coat syndrome" but also ask for your checks to be made in the old-fashioned way manually with a stethoscope and mercury sphygmomanometer.

Some of these battery-powered machines can be inaccurate - in my experience two consecutive readings in quick succession can be remarkably different.

Shimmer

It could be white coat syndrome as a previous answer said. I have a BMI of 28 and I recently had a random blood pressure check at the docs. It was high, and after going back 3 weeks in a row to get it re checked it was getting progressively higher. My doc was considering medication and then decided i should wear a blood pressure monitor for 24 hrs to get a real picture and this included sleeping and a full working day.
Well, over the 24 hrs the result was bang in the middle of normal for my age. It never went into 'high' readings. He then suggested i have white coat syndrome; my blood pressure goes up whenever i am in a medical situation.
If i get through to a medical with the TOC that i am applying to then this does concern me. I would have to ask them to confirm with my doc about this white coat syndrome should i get a high reading!
If getting the job depends on your bp reading then i would suggest you at least ask your own doctors advice and see if you can try the 24hr monitor. My understanding from my doc is that a lot of surgeries do have them now.

Not only be aware of "white coat syndrome" but also ask for your checks to be made in the old-fashioned way manually with a stethoscope and mercury sphygmomanometer.

Some of these battery-powered machines can be inaccurate - in my experience two consecutive readings in quick succession can be remarkably different.
Good to know. Thank you.

Welshman

Established Member
My pleasure.
I've had one or two alarms [which, incidentally, did nothing for my blood pressure], and then the nurse did it manually.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member

Some cheap machines can (especially the ones that measure around the wrist) be horribly inaccurate but they are usually the consumer level. However, some machines aren't inaccurate. In my experience (using a £25k machine) it is only inaccurate at the extremes of blood pressure or pulse rate. Any result which doesn't fit with the clinical picture should be an indication for a manual blood pressure being taken.

That being said, the gold standard is listening for Korotkoff sounds with a stethoscope.

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
However, some machines aren't inaccurate. In my experience (using a £25k machine) it is only inaccurate at the extremes of blood pressure or pulse rate.

I should hope a £25k machine could be trusted!!
The one my GP lent me after my heart op was more in the £60-£70 bracket, and I changed the batteries!!

Last edited:

hughavinalaf

Some cheap machines can (especially the ones that measure around the wrist) be horribly inaccurate but they are usually the consumer level. However, some machines aren't inaccurate. In my experience (using a £25k machine) it is only inaccurate at the extremes of blood pressure or pulse rate. Any result which doesn't fit with the clinical picture should be an indication for a manual blood pressure being taken.

That being said, the gold standard is listening for Korotkoff sounds with a stethoscope.

Someone has some experience/training......;) good post:)

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I should hope a £25k machine could be trusted!!
The one my GP lent me after my heart op was more in the £60-£70 bracket, and I changed the batteries!!

Well, it can mostly be trusted for blood pressures. Some of the other stuff it does can be way out!

SWTH

To update on this, rechecked my BP on Wednesday at GP, no issues. Saw Occupational Health Thursday who recorded a BP reading similar to the day before, around 120/80.

OH doc has stated he has no issue with me working on the railway, so hopefully that removes any medical restrictions.

Thanks again for the advice!

455driver

Veteran Member
Excellent news, I bet you are relieved!

Oh and to all the doubters see post 7 on this thread, 455driver for the win oh yes! ;) :lol:

Thanks for letting us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.