• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Booking a ticket for TOD when I know that the payment card won't work to collect

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
Morning all,

Bit of a quandary....

Last night I snapped my bank card. It's ok, I've ordered another one, but it will go to my registered home address which is 100 miles away (having moved around a fair bit these last 5-6 years I've kept my registered address for that sort of thing the same).

I therefore need to get home to pick up the new card, and for that, book tickets to do the journey (will travel this Friday).

Now whilst the snapped card will happily work online in the meantime, I can't imagine it working in any TVMs to collect the ticket.

I've realistically only got enough cash out to cover me the week, and any ATM which takes one look at my card will gobble it up instantly and will never be seen again.

Any advice in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Any advice in this situation?
Three possible solutions:
  • Use the card to purchase a Virgin voucher, then use the voucher to buy the ticket.
  • Use TheTrainline (yes, I know!) and pay using PayPal (assuming you have an account).
  • Buy the ticket the normal way, then call the TOC and explain the situation.
Any of these will result in the ticket being set to 'Any Card' collection.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Purchase an evoucher on the VTEC website for the value of your fare. Use the evoucher to buy your ticket. You can collect the ticket using any card. If you don't have another card then ask a friend to assist.

Your bank branch should be able to assist with a cash withdrawal.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
NajaB said:
Use TheTrainline (yes, I know!) and pay using PayPal (assuming you have an account).
London Midland and VTWC also accept PayPal, and give an 'any card' collection reference.

Taunton

Established Member
Is it not the case that any proper card will do?

My business travel is booked by our company travel department on their Amex card. I obviously don't have this when I travel. But my own card works perfectly well, insert card, key in reference, done.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Usually not.

My business travel is booked by our company travel department on their Amex card. I obviously don't have this when I travel. But my own card works perfectly well, insert card, key in reference, done.

Business travel is an exception because the use case is company buys, employee collects. PayPal is similar because the merchant doesn't get to find out what the funding card number is so they have no mechanism to require it.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor

Until about a year or so ago, yes, this was the case for almost all bookings.

Business accounts tend to be set to 'any card' collection as a default, for ease of collection by any employee.

Personal accounts tend to be set to 'payment card only'. There are exceptions; for example all of my orders through XC are 'any card' but VTWC and the majority of other TOCs enforce the requirement to use the same card.

This can be changed over the phone with the reference number.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is it not the case that any proper card will do?.
Depends on the retailer. Most set a 'same card required' flag. London Midland may not do (they didn't last time I checked). Business accounts generally don't. But most personal accounts do require the same card to be used to collect.

Purchase an evoucher on the VTEC website for the value of your fare. Use the evoucher to buy your ticket. You can collect the ticket using any card. If you don't have another card then ask a friend to assist..
Agreed, other Atos WebTIS sites also have this feature, such as TPE: https://tickets.tpexpress.co.uk/tpe/en/landing/purchasegiftvoucher and you can customise the value of the voucher to whatever you want. The voucher is issued instantly, and is usable instantly in your next transaction.

It's a useful method if you need to buy a ticket on behalf of someone else in a hurry; as long as they can insert any old card, they can get tickets you've booked for them within seconds.

Lrd

Established Member
I know for certain the London Midland app is set to any card, couldn't say for the website though.

najaB

Veteran Member
Or even simpler go to the ticket office (if there is one) to collect your ticket.
That doesn't always work - if the booking is set to require the same card then not all ticket offices are willing/able (I'm not sure which) to issue them without the card being put into the POS terminal.

Brucey

Some banks will allow a new card to be sent to a nominated branch, with collection available on production of ID.

island

Veteran Member
Some banks will produce and issue a new card on the spot in branch ;)

Brucey

Some banks will produce and issue a new card on the spot in branch ;)

Indeed. A service I have availed myself of when my card was due to be replaced when I was due to be away from home for a period of time. Very useful service and they'll even print cheque books in store on request.

takke

That doesn't always work - if the booking is set to require the same card then not all ticket offices are willing/able (I'm not sure which) to issue them without the card being put into the POS terminal.

I've had a good experience at a London Overground station (Camden Road specifically) where I could collect something booked for a specific card from the ticket office, just by showing some ID (incidentally, the name on my ID did not match the name of the booking, but he seemed to just want to make a note of my name).

father_jack

• Use the card to purchase a Virgin voucher, then use the voucher to buy the ticket.
  • Use TheTrainline (yes, I know!) and pay using PayPal (assuming you have an account).

GWR and Southern (hiss spit) web bookings are "any card" collect. You must have one friend in the world with a debit card- or you ask someone at the TVMs to activate the machine with their card for you.

CC 72100

Established Member
Some banks will allow a new card to be sent to a nominated branch, with collection available on production of ID.

Ah too late now, did debate asking for that but feared that the default option would my home branch (near my home address) which is closed on Saturdays and not too helpful!

CC 72100

Established Member

I've chosen this option in the end - sorted it out with Virgin (WC) today as they run the Booking Office + TVMs at the station - set to 'any card' and I'll be using my work card to pick up the tickets.

Thanks to all for your suggestions - I'm certainly richer in knowledge on different solutions and I only hope that someone in the same position finds this thread one day :P :)

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Paypal has a fee. Aren't us folk on here inclined towards trying to keep the fees to the minimum ?
PayPal does not have a transaction fee.
Sometimes a fee-paying service can be worth it for the convenience.
That's true.

I've only ever been charged fees by PayPal when selling on eBay or sending money abroad.

The customer isn't charged a fee for using Paypal to complete transactions but the merchant (ie the TOC) is, and it's around 2% IIRC.

Last edited:

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I've chosen this option in the end - sorted it out with Virgin (WC) today as they run the Booking Office + TVMs at the station - set to 'any card' and I'll be using my work card to pick up the tickets.

Thanks to all for your suggestions - I'm certainly richer in knowledge on different solutions and I only hope that someone in the same position finds this thread one day :P :)

Glad it's sorted

Status
Not open for further replies.