• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boring messrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestWestern

Established Member
I second the votes for Newport and Swindon. Swindon is woefully small and dated. Southampton I rather like, it's clean modern and comfortable.

The DBS premises in Hereford station aren't too bad, the main messroom has a rather fascinating array of photos and accompanying humourous newspaper clippings from about 30 years ago. Paddington is pretty tidy, though the only messroom I've ever known with a 'designated table' system for different depots! Bristol TM is fairly decent, if a little busy. Westbury can be crowded but has cumfy chairs :D

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southern313

Worthing - awful, awful mess room! Fortunately it's only Sundays that seem to have booked PNBs there. Few tables, hard plastic chairs and a sofa with a rip in it. Questionable kitchen facilities. I once had to work a train to Littlehampton and pass back for a minimum break. Another driver who just finishing a break had to pass to Littlehampton and work the train back and up to Vic... Needless to say we worked/passed our relevant bits on the train rather then spend any longer in Worthing!

Llama

Established Member
Manchester Oxford Road is boring as hell and a bit rancid too, surprised that hasn't had more of a mention.

sarahj

Established Member
Worthing - awful, awful mess room! Fortunately it's only Sundays that seem to have booked PNBs there. Few tables, hard plastic chairs and a sofa with a rip in it. Questionable kitchen facilities. I once had to work a train to Littlehampton and pass back for a minimum break. Another driver who just finishing a break had to pass to Littlehampton and work the train back and up to Vic... Needless to say we worked/passed our relevant bits on the train rather then spend any longer in Worthing!

Yeah, Worthing is grim. Glad its only the odd sunday we have to go there.

Brighton has differing tables for Drivers and Guards. There also are certain seats for both drivers and guards that are 'cover'. Eastbourne has differing tables for Eastbourne staff and I guess what they would call 'others'. Victoria has one side of the room for SET staff and the other for Southern. Barnham is just a case of finding a spot and sitting down. The rest are small, so you just take a seat. I just dislike the seat at the Heath next to the 'kitchen' bit that has the broken light. Makes it a bit hard to read.

WCMLaddict

Manchester Oxford Road is boring as hell and a bit rancid too, surprised that hasn't had more of a mention.

Agree, it's even more boring since they blocked off all mice holes and there's no wildlife to observe :D

LowLevel

Established Member
Are there still separate tables for guards and drivers?

Can go one further than that - Nottingham has a 'top' drivers table, a driver/depot driver table, a guards table and a 'foreigners' table. Theoretically anyway - they're not really adhered to. They couldn't be at the moment even if anyone was that interested owing to a chronic lack of serviceable chairs :)

muz379

Established Member
Agree, it's even more boring since they blocked off all mice holes and there's no wildlife to observe :D

Just go out on the platform ,its like a safari out there particularly on Friday and Saturday nights .

dk1

Veteran Member
Lowestoft. Admire the lino. Wonder when the filter in the water dispenser was last replaced, or cleaned. Marvel at the odd taste of the water.

Plus the fact its empty, cold and with dubious quality loos.

That stereo always makes me laugh. Old as the hills but still get a decent R2 signal.

At least we've got Maccy Ds & Wetherspoons across the road & it's central.

craigybagel

Established Member
That stereo always makes me laugh. Old as the hills but still get a decent R2 signal.

At least we've got Maccy Ds & Wetherspoons across the road & it's central.

Wetherspoons in railway uniform?

Status
Not open for further replies.