• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boris: I can cut rail fares and crowding on suburban lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Certainly the Wimbledon ten car trains is going to happen as it is mixing of the coaches within the Juniper 458's and 460's which are going to be moved from the London - Reading route with the HC capacity Desiro's in there place taking over. This has been an idea with SWT for the last two years with approval given last year for the go - ahead for those plans to take shape.

I'm well aware of the 458/460 merger plans thanks, but it seems you aren't. Those 10 car trains will all be used on the 'Windsor side', hence they will not be going through Wimbledon at all. You need to read SWT's announcment in more detail... (Incidentally the HC Desiros will be reverted to normal layout as part of the 458/460 project.)

There is as yet no confirmed rolling stock plan for the main suburban 10 car strengthening (ie routes via Wimbledon), however all the indications are that it will involve 455s & 456s in mmultiple.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
This is my problem as well, it's not very democratic! I'm all up for London Overground running to my station at Potters Bar, but I'd like to think I have as much say over that as the people living 5 miles south of me in London.

Geoff Hobbs of TfL did a very good job of addressing this point with the transport committee of the London Assembly - i cant remember his exact explanation, something to do with board members i think, but essentially there is already a mechanism for representing people using TfL services outside London. After all a fair few bus services, and even tube lines like the Met, have operated into surrounding counties since London Transport was created, so it wouldnt be a new issue.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.