• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boris Johnson Admitted to Hospital - Out of Intensive Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think they should have been more honest earlier on. I've got sick of the press, particularly the BBC going on about "person X having mild symptoms" as some kind of badge of honour...
I don't see how stating the facts at the time is in any way dishonest.
While not good for Boris in the short term thank heavens we're allowed to see and appreciate how devastating this illness can be.
I don't think anyone has tried to pretend it can be devastating, though it remains a fact that most people who get it will have mild symptoms.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Typhoon

Established Member
On a side note there are people on twitter (and I think many other forms of social media) who will not be respecting him and hoping he gets well to that I say what they are doing is sick and mean
You think right. I read a comment elsewhere where the poster had a list of people that they wished would catch the virus. It is probably still there. One of the reasons why I read and contribute to this site is that, while people may disagree with one another, no-one wishes ill upon another.

Thank you for all your measured responses to this and other threads. Happiness for me would be waking up tomorrow and finding no-one, no matter who, had died from this virus. Hopefully the Prime Minister's current situation is down to the medical staff being extra cautious. Get well soon, Prime Minister.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Well, if anyone was in any doubt about how dangerous this COVID-19 is then I hope they realise now.

I worked out once that if you get admitted to hospital with COVID-19 then you have about 66% recovery rate. Early on I worked out 1% of those found to have it were dying. That eventually drifted towards 5%. It is a lower percentage in other countries where more testing is done of people not so obviously ill.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
.... I worked out 1% of those found to have it were dying. That eventually drifted towards 5%.....
No it's not 5%. It's closer to 1% than 5% but factors will include the age of the population and, for those that do require intensive care treatment, the availability of that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...virus-and-what-is-the-mortality-rate-covid-19
It is probably about or a bit less than 1%. Much higher figures have been flying about, but the UK’s chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, is one of those who believes it will prove to be 1% or lower. The World Health Organization’s director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, talked of 3.4%, but his figure was calculated by dividing the number of deaths by the number of officially confirmed cases. We know there are many more mild cases that do not get to hospital and are not being counted, which would bring the mortality rate significantly down.

Deaths are highest in the elderly, with very low rates among younger people, although medical staff who treat patients and get exposed to a lot of virus are thought to be more at risk. But even among the over-80s, 90% will recover.
As for that last line; don't forget my post of yesterday.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
On a side note there are people on twitter (and I think many other forms of social media) who will not be respecting him and hoping he gets well to that I say what they are doing is sick and mean

One does not have to vote for a politician to wish a fellow human well for their recovery.

thejuggler

I think it is easier not to believe anything the press (aka 10 press machine) say when it is released as it is unbelievable once you analyse what is said.

As soon as he was sent to hospital it was a serious matter. The tests were as a result of an emergency, the part about being taken in a car to make it sound like a routine appointment. He had a doctor with him and its a few hundred metres so a car makes sense. I'm sure they called beforehand.

Then the talk of him still being in control of Government and Tweets supposedly from him saying all is well. Its 'stiff upper lip' Britishness as its worse, Monty Python 'mere flesh wound' stuff.

Now the intensive care situation is purely "as a precaution", it isn't. It is because it has been deemed necessary because of the seriousness of the situation.

Hopefully the care he gets sees him get through and maybe then the truth will out.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I hope this is just a precaution and he recovers. It sounds terrible. My spidey senses went off when Raab finally admitted the last time he talked to the PM was Saturday but i didn't expect this

I think the vast majority of these abhorrent posts will definitely be getting the criticism they rightly deserve, and I fully expect them to be taken down quickly. The behaviour of those who are wishing death upon him is utterly disgusting.

As a question - what has been the typical survival rate for someone being admitted into the ICU? I presume the PM will be admitted there as a precautionary measure (although who knows given how vague the official comments have been) but how realistic is it that the PM will pull through?

You don’t get admitted to an ICU as a precaution. It’s likely that the PM is now on a ventilator.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
This stage sadly gives him about a 50% chance of survival :(

I suspect his chance of survival is higher than 50 / 50 - he, as far as we know, doesn't have material underlying health conditions and is only 55 - the 50% figure is presumably of all people who go into ICU, including those with little chance of recovery. I'd imagine it closer to 75% - still pretty bad.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
You don’t get admitted to an ICU as a precaution. It’s likely that the PM is now on a ventilator.

Indeed. My sarcasm was not evident. It is obviously as very serious situation. I don't know anyone who goes into hospital for "routine" tests at 2100 on a Sunday evening.

Last edited:

JamesT

Established Member

The BBC news just now were saying that he’s not on a ventilator currently, but will be in ICU in case he needs to be at some point.

I really do believe we’re about 12 hours behind what’s really happening with Boris.

Dominic Raab looked tearful in his latest interview. Almost as if he’s had some really bad news. I really hope I’m wrong but he looked shocked to the core.

Downing Street will always try to play anything like this down as to not cause panic. However the face of Raab tonight worries me a great deal.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I suspect his chance of survival is higher than 50 / 50 - he, as far as we know, doesn't have material underlying health conditions and is only 55 - the 50% figure is presumably of all people who go into ICU, including those with little chance of recovery. I'd imagine it closer to 75% - still pretty bad.

Yes think that’s correct. Imperial College research estimates for 50-59 year olds - 10.2% of symptomatic cases require hospitalisation, 12.2% of hospitalised cases require critical care, and overall infection fatality ratio is 0.6%.

Harvey B

One does not have to vote for a politician to wish a fellow human well for their recovery.
I never said that you had to vote for him.

What I meant was that there are people who won't be respecting him tonight and won't be hoping that he gets better. And frankly those people are sick.
Maybe the post that I posted didn't translate well?

Last edited by a moderator:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Dominic Raab looked tearful in his latest interview. Almost as if he’s had some really bad news. I really hope I’m wrong but he looked shocked to the core.

Downing Street will always try to play anything like this down as to not cause panic. However the face of Raab tonight worries me a great deal.

Which interview? On what station?

JonathanH

Veteran Member

Which interview? On what station?

BBC interview shown on 10pm news and Newsnight - even Boris Johnson going to hospital is a shock, he doesn't need to be in a really critical state for his friends and colleagues to be tearful.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
BBC interview shown on 10pm news and Newsnight - even Boris Johnson going to hospital is a shock, he doesn't need to be in a really critical state for his friends and colleagues to be tearful.

thanks - lost track of time so i will have a look on iplayer.

EDIT - that might just be the face of a man who has just had the full power of the UK nuclear deterrent and the responsibility for the deployment of that power explained to him along with the stunning realisation that HE is now responsible and accountable to millions of people for keeping their loved ones alive AND having just realised his mate (?) is in a bad way AND had the risk and impact of this virus made very real. I think you are entitled to look a bit shocked in those circumstances.

And it is Dominic Raab.................

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I never said that you had to vote for him.

What I meant was that there are people who won't be respecting him tonight and won't be hoping that he gets better. And frankly those people are sick.
Maybe the post that I posted didn't translate well?

No, I was agreeing with you. Whether you like him or not, he's a fellow human and we shouldn't wish him ill in that way. I personally hope he survives and gets well in order to lose the next General Election in person :D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed. My sarcasm was not evident. It is obviously as very serious situation. I don't know anyone who goes into hospital for "routine" tests at 2100 on a Sunday evening.

I suspect it was a bit of a play in words, in the sense that the tests were the ones that would routinely be completed in the event of serious CV symptoms requiring hospital admission, i.e. the same as anyone else being admitted. However, just like the tendency of British people to say they're fine even if they are on their death bed, it is usual to understate health issues of people in Government until the point death is reported - they did it with the Queen Mother too, and everybody knows they do.

That said, if it does "kick off" you degenerate very, very quickly, it can only take a few hours.

Jozhua

Established Member
I really hope the PM goes onto make a full recovery. It is important to have stable leadership at this time and he has a kid on the way with carrie.

Those people wishing him bad luck, not only are being insensitive, but also perhaps missing the point that his opinions on healthcare provision may change after an experience like this...

Harvey B

I really hope the PM goes onto make a full recovery. It is important to have stable leadership at this time and he has a kid on the way with carrie.

Those people wishing him bad luck, not only are being insensitive, but also perhaps missing the point that his opinions on healthcare provision may change after an experience like this...
Agreed

philthetube

Established Member
I think they should have been more honest earlier on. I've got sick of the press, particularly the BBC going on about "person X having mild symptoms" as some kind of badge of honour. While not good for Boris in the short term thank heavens we're allowed to see and appreciate how devastating this illness can be.

I don't think they know, you get fever and a cough, after a week it gets better or doesn't, if it doesn't after 10 days you are in hospital, what we know seems to go along with how it happens.

Jozhua

Established Member
In regards to the ICU news, yeah I definitely think that it is unlikely he is in there as a 'precaution', although none of us truly know how the situation will evolve.

He has been making noticeably less appearance, even on video, so maybe he has been worse than they let on. I wonder wether they were trying to maximise the treatment they could do at home as well, before transferring him to hospital as a last resort.

Honestly though, there is probably no way of knowing how this situation will evolve. Only time will tell, a very tense waiting game, both for those close to him and an uncertain nation.

TheEdge

Established Member
I must admit I was starting to get a bit suspicious of how quiet Boris had gone over the last few days and how Dominic Raab was suddenly a lot more prominent.

As a person, like every other case I hope he survives but I fear there is sadly a fairly high chance we might be about to witness the first PM death in office since the 19th century. That'll be a almighty challenge for our unwritten constitution to work out.

Smidster

Obviously wishing him the best - Nobody deserves this.

I do think some of the messaging yesterday was poor - Going into hospital late on a Sunday night can never be "routine" and then playing it down throughout the day makes the shock of the 8pm announcement more profound.

Moderator note: Discussion of Trump and Hydroxychloroquine has been moved to: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...loroquine-as-a-treatment-for-covid-19.203178/

Last edited by a moderator:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Obviously wishing him the best - Nobody deserves this.

I do think some of the messaging yesterday was poor - Going into hospital late on a Sunday night can never be "routine" and then playing it down throughout the day makes the shock of the 8pm announcement more profound.

It's fairly standard to downplay this kind of thing, it happened with the Queen Mother too. After all, how many British people have said "fine thank" when asked how they were by someone phoning to see, knowing they had a nasty bout of Coronavirus themselves.

hooverboy

On Moderation
It's fairly standard to downplay this kind of thing, it happened with the Queen Mother too. After all, how many British people have said "fine thank" when asked how they were by someone phoning to see, knowing they had a nasty bout of Coronavirus themselves.
of course, we are masters of understatement in this country.

woe betide anyone who gets the british "a bit cross"!

Status
Not open for further replies.