• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boxing Day Travel Demand [2018 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

notverydeep

[Note - Split from this thread]

I posted to another thread a comment about the demand for travel on Boxing Day. As this thread is specifically about Boxing Day services, it may be worth repeating here, apologies to those who have already seen much of this.

In London at least, the number of rail passengers traveling on Boxing Day has grown dramatically from less than a quarter of the next quietest day in 2001 to comfortably exceeding the quietest day in 2017 and has been (by miles) the fastest growing traffic day. In 2017, Boxing Day was a busier day for public transport in London than Christmas Eve. It is true that with most National Rail services not operating, a number of journeys on the operating modes would be travellers who might normally have used those services, but equally some interchanging passengers will have been lost to the operating modes, who would have travelled had their National Rail service been operating.

The figures I have do not cover the whole country and I cannot post the details here, although I would certainly be interested to see how scheduled coach services (National Express, Magic Bus etc.) or domestic air services, both of which generally do operate on Boxing Day compare over the same two days in 2017. I’m sure that transport operators in London would be happy to share their data with National Rail TOCs should they be interested.

London will clearly not be an exact proxy for the whole of the UK, but it does illustrate that where the option is available, Boxing Day rail services are popular. The 'shape' of the demand on Boxing Day in London (where people travel to and from and when) is very similar to that of the other bank holidays, apart from trips that would connect with National Rail services that are absent.

Clearly there are costs associated with providing services and without franchise commitments (which cover only a small number of routes), such services would have to be commercially viable. Agreement on the basis of staff working, including bonuses would be needed. Some signalling locations remain open anyway for engineering movements so not all costs will be additional, but sufficient drivers, station staff, train maintainers and operational managers would all need to be covered by the likely revenue. This would likely mean that TOCs would start with a relatively sparse service on their key routes, expanding only once the demand patterns were proven. My sense is that the a core of key routes at least would be viable (and would not require the majority of staff to work), but without significant external pressure it seems that TOCs feel they have bigger issues to focus on, which is a shame as by and large Boxing Day end up being a big opportunity for rail’s competitors…

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
Road traffic counts can be easily downloaded from the DfT website and from some local authorities, showing that road traffic levels on main roads in particular is not insignificant on both Christmas Day and Boxing Day. So there is certainly travel demand throughout the holiday period.

Bookd

My usual annual comment regards Kempton Park racecourse which has its busiest day of the year, with special arrangements and diversions to control the traffic. This is unusual as a racecourse with its own railway station but no service on its busiest day, although there are usually special bus services to connect to LU at Richmond and Hatton Cross.

LAX54

Established Member
The Railway could indeed start running on the 26th again, it stopped of course back in the late 70's as the trains were empty !
However running a service over the Christmas period, would then defer the major blocks that take place, mind you they could move to say 1st two weeks in Feb or March :)
March being better weather maybe, those that work in London, could just have a couple of weeks off, but then it would also affect those that say the 'need' it on the 26th, no win situation for anyone really !

Ken H

On Moderation
The Railway could indeed start running on the 26th again, it stopped of course back in the late 70's as the trains were empty !
However running a service over the Christmas period, would then defer the major blocks that take place, mind you they could move to say 1st two weeks in Feb or March :)

March being better weather maybe, those that work in London, could just have a couple of weeks off, but then it would also affect those that say the 'need' it on the 26th, no win situation for anyone really !

Why not a few busier local lines under large signalling centre control with a half hour service
My suggestions:-
Why not Lichfield city - Redditch/Bromsgrove
Coventry-Brum-Wolverhampton
Leeds - Ilkley/Skipton
Leeds -York
Manchester -Bolton-Blackpool
Manchester-Liverpool

toe the water. if it works, add a few each year

hooverboy

On Moderation
Why not a few busier local lines under large signalling centre control with a half hour service
My suggestions:-
Why not Lichfield city - Redditch/Bromsgrove
Coventry-Brum-Wolverhampton
Leeds - Ilkley/Skipton
Leeds -York
Manchester -Bolton-Blackpool
Manchester-Liverpool

toe the water. if it works, add a few each year
how about a sunday service to the most popular shopping destinations...ie london, bicester etc.
All the sales start on boxing day don't they?

Iskra

Established Member
how about a sunday service to the most popular shopping destinations...ie london, bicester etc.
All the sales start on boxing day don't they?

Online shopping is affecting Boxing Day sales footfall.

There is a full football fixture list on Boxing Day, which generates a lot of traffic.

radamfi

Established Member
Most significantly, people are travelling to and from friends and family throughout the Christmas period, including 25/26 December. This huge market has been largely left to the private car due to the train shutdown, although Christmas Day coach services are gradually improving year on year. For example, this year National Express are running roughly every 1-2 hours between Birmingham, Heathrow and London. Coaches have run a near normal service on 26 December for years.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Just a shout from this end, living in Bolton but supporting Bury (dunno what I've done to be punished twice) when Bury have a Boxing-day game @ Gigg there's no public transport at all, neither buses nor trains - which means the driving and not drinking - and boy Bury supporters need their anasthetic.
Woudln't mind so much if there were football specials to get fans who want a pint - and more seriously those who can't or are too young to drive to the grounds. That's more for the clubs rather than the authorities to organise though.
But considering the number of peole these days who want to use public transport on Boxing day - surely a skeleton service and Bustitutions if the rails need maintainance?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My understanding is nothing will change re boxing day rail services until provision of such services is written into franchise agreements. I'm not holding my breath.

radamfi

Established Member
I just checked the National Express site and they actually running a full service on Boxing Day for the first time.

theblackwatch

Established Member
How are the majority of people going to get to their stations on Boxing Day? Certainly not by bus in most cases! I'm probably quite lucky where I live in that the two major routes - Leeds to Ripon via Harrogate and Harrogate to Knaresborough have a 30 min service on Boxing Day between around 09.00 to 18.00. Not that I intend going out on them - but I might go out to photograph one to try and walk off the excesses of the previous day. :)

radamfi

Established Member
How are the majority of people going to get to their stations on Boxing Day? Certainly not by bus in most cases! I'm probably quite lucky where I live in that the two major routes - Leeds to Ripon via Harrogate and Harrogate to Knaresborough have a 30 min service on Boxing Day between around 09.00 to 18.00. Not that I intend going out on them - but I might go out to photograph one to try and walk off the excesses of the previous day. :)

How do most people get to the station on any day? Bus is probably a small minority, especially outside London.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's unfortunate in that the main people who will lose out are not people working in offices or whatever but the typically lower-paid shift workers, many of whom will be working in the railway or transport industries themselves, and are expected to be at work on Boxing Day itself or in for an early turn on the 27th.

There have been major changes in demographics since the 1970s, with not only immigration having an effect, but huge growth in the number of graduates and major changes in the labour market, meaning that huge numbers of young people now work on the other side of the country from where their parents reside, typically in large cities.

trainophile

Established Member
Most families have had enough of their visitors by Boxing Day (and likewise the guests with their hosts), but are stuck with them for another night!

Joe Paxton

Established Member
The figures I have do not cover the whole country and I cannot post the details here, although I would certainly be interested to see how scheduled coach services (National Express, Magic Bus etc.) or domestic air services, both of which generally do operate on Boxing Day compare over the same two days in 2017. I’m sure that transport operators in London would be happy to share their data with National Rail TOCs should they be interested.

Minor correction, I think you mean Megabus - Magic Bus is the brandname used by Stagecoach for no-frills bus services that are intended to drive away competition, and is currently only used in Manchester. Megabus is the long distance coach operation.

Interesting info on the growth in Boxing Day travel in London.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In London at least, the number of rail passengers traveling on Boxing Day has grown dramatically from less than a quarter of the next quietest day in 2001 to comfortably exceeding the quietest day in 2017 and has been (by miles) the fastest growing traffic day. In 2017, Boxing Day was a busier day for public transport in London than Christmas Eve.
I wonder if the popularity of travel on the 24th and 26th December is dependent on what day of the week they fall? Christmas Eve this year was exceptionally quiet because it fell on a Monday and most people presumably would have taken this day as annual leave to follow on from the weekend, the same principle applied for last year where it fell on a Sunday (but without the need for normal people to take the day as A/L). I should imagine the same could easily apply the other way dependent on the day of the week the 26th should fall.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Given the fact (that in my experience at least) train services on new years day seem to for the most part carry fresh air, thought should be given to running train services on boxing day and nothing on new years day instead?

trainophile

Established Member
Given the fact (that in my experience at least) train services on new years day seem to for the most part carry fresh air, thought should be given to running train services on boxing day and nothing on new years day instead?

"Nothing" on NYD is a bit harsh, there will always be folk who have to get back for work after the celebrations. If the trains are not being fully utilised I would agree with halving the frequency but not scrapping services altogether.

nlogax

Established Member
"Nothing" on NYD is a bit harsh, there will always be folk who have to get back for work after the celebrations. If the trains are not being fully utilised I would agree with halving the frequency but not scrapping services altogether.

Heading home to London via Glasgow airport yesterday was fun. I had no idea Scotrail runs zilch on New Year's Day. Lesson learned, I guess!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I think you could get away with a 1200 or even 1400 start. Scotland is obviously different as 2nd is a public holiday too - need to get rid of the two day hangovers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.