• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR ticket: second class single Leeds to Menston 70p

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingqueen

This British Rail ticket was being used as a bookmark in a book donated to the charity shop in which I work.
A second class single from Leeds to Menton was 70p. The equivalent ticket today is £4.60.
There's no year on this ticket.
Anybody hazard a guess?
BpKrDy9_d.jpg

0IZxkZL_d.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
This British Rail ticket was being used as a bookmark in a book donated to the charity shop in which I work.
A second class single from Leeds to Menton was 70p. The equivalent ticket today is £4.60.
There's no year on this ticket.
Anybody hazard a guess?
BpKrDy9_d.jpg

0IZxkZL_d.jpg
I remember these being used at Leeds. They had huge racks of pre printed tickets with just destination on. Think they came into use when the new ticket office was opened when leeds station was rebuilt in the late 1960's
(Bit of a problem here. i dont know if these tickets pre-date decimalisation (1974) but Leeds station opened 1967. maybe the new ticket hall opened with card tickets.)

The top right corner has been removed because its a single. They used scissors.

the 643 is the station number, pre-printed at the top, and printed by the ticket machine next to the price

This one is unusual because Menston isnt printed in red - its been overprinted later. Rare stations could use one with a blank destination at the top and the clerk would write the station in.

The ticket machines were like massive cash registers.

The audit roll was supposed to be machine readable so statistics for rail use could be done by computer. The number next to the price is supposed to be machine readable.

The clerk would find a ticket blank from a rack, insert it in the machine, press keys for the ticket type, price, date, class etc.
With each lot tickets for a station there would be a card with the prices to that station. If no blank for that station, he would use the national fares manual. The page for Menston would have 643 on it so he could type it in the machine.

Veteran Member
Well after 1971. IIRC Shipley to Leeds was only about 1.60 in 1997 when I moved there - Metro fares were cheap then! And still aren't bad...

Ken H

On Moderation
I remember these being used at Leeds. They had huge racks of pre printed tickets with just destination on. Think they came into use when the new ticket office was opened when leeds station was rebuilt in the late 1960's
(Bit of a problem here. i dont know if these tickets pre-date decimalisation (1974) but Leeds station opened 1967. maybe the new ticket hall opened with card tickets.)

The top right corner has been removed because its a single. They used scissors.

the 643 is the station number, pre-printed at the top, and printed by the ticket machine next to the price

This one is unusual because Menston isnt printed in red - its been overprinted later. Rare stations could use one with a blank destination at the top and the clerk would write the station in.

The audit roll was supposed to be machine readable so statistics for rail use could be done by computer. The number next to the price is supposed to be machine readable.

The clerk would find a ticket blank from a rack, insert it in the machine, press keys for the ticket type, price, date, class etc.
With each lot tickets for a station there would be a card with the prices to that station. If no blank for that station, he would use the national fares manual. The page for Menston would have 643 on it so he could type it in the machine.

Note also the punch bottom right made by a guard/ticket man. There were loads of different patterns. dont know the significance. If it was a return the guard would have clipped it top right on the but thats been cut off.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Note also the punch bottom right made by a guard/ticket man. There were loads of different patterns. dont know the significance. If it was a return the guard would have clipped it top right on the but thats been cut off.

I think it may possibly be an old (obsolete) ticket punch used to indicate 3rd Class travel.
I seem to recall also seeing "2" shaped punch marks, used for 2nd Class travel.

Established Member
I've consulted with someone who knows about BR in the 80s (okay, my Dad) and their view is that it could be as recent as 1986, he's pretty certain is that's when the current orange credit card sized stock started to appear.

On the basis of the antiques dealer rule that when you turn up something old it's probably newer than you think and worth less than you'd hope, I'd guess at 1984, but that's totally on a hunch and I've got absolutely no evidence to back that up.

Lemmy99uk

Indeed, the machines were actually built by the American company ‘National Cash Registers’.

The machines survived in use into the late 80s

martinsh

Established Member
Indeed, the machines were actually built by the American company ‘National Cash Registers’.

The machines survived in use into the late 80s

Yes the ticket machine type was the NCR51, used on Eastern, Western and Scottish regions. Looked like a glorified cash register. From the fare, I'm guessing about 1980 for this ticket.

davetheguard

Established Member
I think it may possibly be an old (obsolete) ticket punch used to indicate 3rd Class travel.

On the Western Region, there were "5" shaped punch marks, which indicated that it had been clipped by a Western Region Guards' punch. Different geographical areas had different marks, different grades -e.g. Travelling Ticket Inspectors- also had there own identifying punch marks.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Of course it was. remember it well. Still mourn getting a Milky Way for a thruppeny bit.

iu

Thanks for correction.

But that (your milky way for 3d) would have been well before 1971, surely? I think they were 3d in about 1962 or so. (Cadbury's had a 3d bar of chocolate too, for those of us on hard times. Thin and long, unlike the chunky 6d bar :) )

Going even more OT, did the thruppeny bit last till the end of old money? I have a feeling they withdrew it earlier - not that I can see any logic as to why they would do that. So maybe I've just got that wrong.

Ken H

On Moderation
Off topic but I prefer the older silver ones!

Anyway, to the ticket I'm guessing 1971 to about early 1980s when I think they brought in the current style or similar one.
there was APTIS, but there was INTIS first
But that (your milky way for 3d) would have been well before 1971, surely? I think they were 3d in about 1962 or so. (Cadbury's had a 3d bar of chocolate too, for those of us on hard times. Thin and long, unlike the chunky 6d bar :) )

Going even more OT, did the thruppeny bit last till the end of old money? I have a feeling they withdrew it earlier - not that I can see any logic as to why they would do that. So maybe I've just got that wrong.
lasted till 31 December 1971

The old money went very quickly. There was supposed to be a period when shops could retain the old money but I think they all converted within a few days.
Once you had spent your pennies and thrupenny bits you never got them again. Shops didnt give them in change - they paid the old money into the bank.

tanners (6d 2.5p) lasted longer as did shillings (5p) and two bob bits (10p) lasted longer.

3d milky way was probably 1969 ish

xotGD

Established Member
The missing top right corner of the ticket indicates that this is a single. The missing piece carried the word 'Return' and would be removed with a pair of scissors if you were buying a single.

Taunton

Established Member
Taunton was one of the very first to have such ticket machines installed, late 1960s. It may have just been first in the South-West, it was featured on the television news (possibly only Points South-West on Westward TV), and being aware we all in the town tuned in for a couple of fleeting shots of staff we knew selling the tickets on the first day. Being on TV was a Big Thing in those days.

Passengers used to Edmonson-sized tickets going in their wallet or pocket were shown being perplexed over where to put them.

It seemed extraordinary that for such a ticket issuing modernisation, instead of taking a Single from the old rack, the clerk now had to produce a large pair of what looked like kitchen scissors and snip a corner off. This was not shown on the television!

NCR were market leaders in 1950s-80s mechanised accounting machines, far beyond just cash registers, and were quite successful with early computers as well. They sold vast numbers to banks, major businesses, etc, and the railway. Although ultimately US-owned they were effectively a major UK business in its own right, rather like Ford cars of the era, the machines were made in a large series of factories they had in Dundee, where they were long the largest employer in the city. Their head office was on Marylebone Road in London, just by Marylebone station, almost next door to the BR HQ at number 222.

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
tanners (6d 2.5p) lasted longer as did shillings (5p) and two bob bits (10p) lasted longer.
I recall seeing the latter two in circulation into the 1990s, because their decimal equivalents were the same size. They only went altogether when the 5p and 10p pieces were replaced with the smaller versions we use today (1990 and 1992/3 respectively).

ag51ruk

That's an E I think (for Eastern Region) - there was a contract document which had pictures of all of the different shaped punches available in the late 80s, there were lots of them but I don't still have a copy.

There are a few things that help date the ticket - it is pre-1987 because it still shows Second Class rather than Standard - but by then most of those machines were being replaced by APTIS anyway. The ticket types mention Savers, and they weren't introduced until the 80s (although the codes on the machines weren't updated - W for Savers was originally used for Weekend Returns, and P was for Priv tickets). So I would guess 83 or 84.

It's unusual not to have the year shown after the date, I have a number of examples of NCR tickets and they do all include the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.