• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradford Interchange Bus Station closed until further notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

noddingdonkey

I imagine they are keeping public statements low on detail because of the possibility of this ending up in legal action, if the view is that a contractor's negligence has caused the damage.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roilshead

My understanding is that when the Interchange was built the bus carriageways were supposed to be sealed by a high-tech membrane to prevent water ingress into the bus garage below, but that the membrane was severely damaged during the surfacing of the carriageways (by movement of equipment/contractors) and that it was never waterproof despite attempts at repair. One can imagine how this affected the concrete structure beneath. Then consider the consequences of the later removal of the overall roof exposing the carriageway surface to the elements, and all the relaying/repairs to the carriageway that have taken place since.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I knew the bus station was higher up, but I hadn't appreciated it was on a raised platform. That eould make things difficult.

Leeds1970

My understanding is that when the Interchange was built the bus carriageways were supposed to be sealed by a high-tech membrane to prevent water ingress into the bus garage below, but that the membrane was severely damaged during the surfacing of the carriageways (by movement of equipment/contractors) and that it was never waterproof despite attempts at repair. One can imagine how this affected the concrete structure beneath. Then consider the consequences of the later removal of the overall roof exposing the carriageway surface to the elements, and all the relaying/repairs to the carriageway that have taken place since.
Plus, when the concrete slab was built it was for buses weighing around 10 tons and had maybe 200 vehicles a day spread out across the entire site. Now buses are around 13 tons and about 500 a day using only a third of the original site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Here, by Flickr user Bradford Timeline, is a brochure showing the previous (1977) interchange with plans showing the much large public area and the garage underneath.

The document can be downloaded from Flickr as a zip file containing 36 images rather than a single pdf so I haven't attached them.

syorksdeano

Well the reason has finally been released, and apparently a load of concrete has fallen into the basement from the roof (the old bus depot).

So we all know what's going to get pulled down along with the car park. Suppose you could say it's a coincidence

The report says the concrete caused safety issues “in the basement area” of the city centre station.
“Contractors have begun work onsite to establish the extent of the damage and what remedial works are required before it can be safely reopened. It is anticipated that these surveys could take several weeks to complete and the bus station will remain closed throughout this period.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andyh82

Established Member
I knew it would have been the 1970s building at fault rather than anything to do with the 2000s building

The contractors for the road resurfacing will be holding their breath that shoddy work hasn’t caused it although it’s a bit of a coincidence it has happened now and not 2, 4, 10 years ago.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Looking at the booklet, the Santander office block was built on part of the 1977 facility, what was done with / to the basement (bus garage) underneath that part?
Also I note that the maintenance area was lit naturally by sky-lights, again now built over by 1 The Interchange, what was done there, does the maintenance part still exist underneath?
Basically how much of the basement depot remains and in what condition, just the bingo car park?

Looking at the booklet, the Santander office block was built on part of the 1977 facility, what was done with / to the basement (bus garage) underneath that part?
Also I note that the maintenance area was lit naturally by sky-lights, again now built over by 1 The Interchange, what was done there, does the maintenance part still exist underneath?
Basically how much of the basement depot remains and in what condition, just the bingo car park?
I've been wondering the same thing. One of the staircases that used to link the concourse to the old bus station level still provides access to the Santander area. What I don't know is whether the Santander building goes right down to basement level or is in some way pinned to the columns supporting the bus depot roof, and which used to have bus station roof columns mounted on them.

Andyh82

Established Member
The part sold to Santander (Abbey National at the time) was bricked up at basement level.

Santander have an underground car park below their office building but I’d assume it was newly built rather than reusing anything, considering they built a 4 storey office block on top. Santander are still using the office, indeed their staff are the only people allowed past the security staff at the Nelson Street entrance, so you can assume their building is uneffected.

I’m not sure about the No. 1 The Interchange office block but in any case it’s not really a basement at that side, it’s basically ground level, and the building goes all the way to the ground.

Of the remaining part, about a quarter became the bingo hall, the remainder of the former bus depot was the bingo hall car park. It still looked pretty similar to how you’d expect a disused bus depot to look, they’d hadn’t done much to it.

Last edited:

busesrusuk

Looking at google maps, am I right in thinking that when they rebuilt the interchange they changed its orientation from roughly north to south to east to west?

I didn't realise that the "new interchange was a shadow of its former self when originally built. Ii remember reading about the interchange/bus garage on Buses magazine at the time of its opening - I even managed a couple of visits in the early 80's when it was in its original condition and thought that it was very impressive place.

It seems the rebuild made the place worse in terms of space available resulting in all coaches now being shunted into the side street by the new office block (1 Interchange). Was there only one way in/out of the bus garage when built - through what is now the entrance to Bingo hall car park? Was there an entrance in Bridge street? There seems to be curved ramps leading underground to the side of the main bus entrance from Bridge street -- did that give access to the garage to?

Thanks in advance

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Looking at google maps, am I right in thinking that when they rebuilt the interchange they changed its orientation from roughly north to south to east to west?

I didn't realise that the "new interchange was a shadow of its former self when originally built. Ii remember reading about the interchange/bus garage on Buses magazine at the time of its opening - I even managed a couple of visits in the early 80's when it was in its original condition and thought that it was very impressive place.

It seems the rebuild made the place worse in terms of space available resulting in all coaches now being shunted into the side street by the new office block (1 Interchange). Was there only one way in/out of the bus garage when built - through what is now the entrance to Bingo hall car park? Was there an entrance in Bridge street? There seems to be curved ramps leading underground to the side of the main bus entrance from Bridge street -- did that give access to the garage to?

Thanks in advance
There was a ramp from the interchange level down to the bus garage level at the north side, visible on Google Satellite view.
Plus as you say the 'bingo' entrance from Nelson Street.
Finally an emergency exit ramp from the south-east corner.

Image is an extract from the brochure linked to previously, uploaded to Flickr by Bradford Timeline, and showing the garage basement level. Note north is to the right not top!

Attachments

• 21 bus garage workshops_33548660151_o - Copy.jpg
    21 bus garage workshops_33548660151_o - Copy.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 60

Andyh82

Established Member

Thanks in advance
Coaches were only moved outside when the resurfacing works were taking place (you can see on Google earth the large amount of patching the bus carriageway and bays had before it was done), in normal circumstances they used the bus station.

There was allegedly an underground car park underneath the taxi rank like you say, although it’s been out of use probably since the 80s, if it was ever used at all.

It’s quite an interesting building really, I almost think it’s a shame it didn’t stay fully unchanged and then get the Preston treatment. It would have been awful for security now though having all the different separate platforms.

busesrusuk

Thanks for the replies - another look and the ramp from the main bus station is now obvious to me(!). The emergency exit ramp has presumably gone as I cant see anything obvious on google maps.

Not sure why it would be awful from a security point if view, assuming you mean people getting from one island to another then most people these days are still capable of crossing a road without to much trouble. They manage it in Sheffield bus station (to name but one!) unless of course you mean some other form of security?

I also agree that, in its original state, it would still look a modern and well designed bus station.

dedomenici

Thanks for the replies - another look and the ramp from the main bus station is now obvious to me(!). The emergency exit ramp has presumably gone as I cant see anything obvious on google maps.

Not sure why it would be awful from a security point if view, assuming you mean people getting from one island to another then most people these days are still capable of crossing a road without to much trouble. They manage it in Sheffield bus station (to name but one!) unless of course you mean some other form of security?

I also agree that, in its original state, it would still look a modern and well designed bus station.
The emergency exit ramp can be seen on Google Street View here.

M60lad

Considering First have got a canteen in Interchange what are their drivers doing at the moment during their meal breaks?

Also am I right in thinking in that it could be months now before the Bus Station opens (indeed if it ever does)?

Where is this current temporary Bus Station that they're on about?

SLC001

Given that cash strapped Nottingham City Council are seriously considering closing the Victoria Bus Station in Nottingham, a city that is very much pro public transport, I wonder if repairs can be justified or are affordable? Many other councils are struggling to balance the books with hard and unpopular decisions having to be made. We shall see.

thejuggler

Given that cash strapped Nottingham City Council are seriously considering closing the Victoria Bus Station in Nottingham, a city that is very much pro public transport, I wonder if repairs can be justified or are affordable? Many other councils are struggling to balance the books with hard and unpopular decisions having to be made. We shall see.
Bus stations in West Yorkshire are still owned and operated by the old Passenger Transport Executive which is part of the West Yorkshire Mayor's office, not the individual Councils.

SLC001

Still public money whoever owns it and there is a question of whether you should throw new money after old. Sad really because when I first visited Bradford for a University Open Day I was impressed with the interchange and indeed it resonated with my ordered mind. Mind you I liked Birmingham's Bull Ring bus station but that was far from ideal!
If I recall, the interchange cost £16m to build and initially £2.5m to run annually.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Given West Yorkshire are on a bus station frenzy, there will almost certainly be a bus station built. They built the bus station in Heckmondwike to replace the bus shelters. Dewsbury is getting a refurb, Halifax is just reopening after a rebuild. West Yorkshire love their bus stations too much.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Given West Yorkshire are on a bus station frenzy, there will almost certainly be a bus station built. They built the bus station in Heckmondwike to replace the bus shelters. Dewsbury is getting a refurb, Halifax is just reopening after a rebuild. West Yorkshire love their bus stations too much.

While if they had to knock it down and rebuild they could no doubt do a cheaper ground level job (you'd not build Preston as it is now for instance, seeing as it was mentioned above), the need for a bus station has more to do with how the service pattern works than whether you might happen to want one or how extravagant you want it to be. Towns without tend to have "cross city" services which lay over at the outer ends of routes, but the interconnected nature of the area might preclude going that way as there are fewer outer ends to do that - a lot of routes connect to other towns nearby via residential areas, so they need to terminate and lay over. Sure you could save a bit of money doing that on-street, but it's still taking up the same amount of space.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Bus stations in West Yorkshire are still owned and operated by the old Passenger Transport Executive which is part of the West Yorkshire Mayor's office, not the individual Councils.
The exception (I believe) is Wakefield which is owned and managed by Arriva. Hence it being decked out in their colour scheme rather than the standard Metro Red.

Not yet they haven't. Heckmondwike "Hub" is still as it was, just an open square with bus stops round the edge. The plan for a proper bus station is going ahead though, it just hasn't started construction yet.

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
The Interchange being closed for a while might actually be a blessing in disguise. Away from it the stop layouts can be chaotic at times, with some stops having too many services from them especially on Market Street. Hopefully some thought will go into throwing up a few more covered stops around the centre to ease some of the rucks that form when two or three buses are due at the same time.

Andyh82

Established Member
The Interchange being closed for a while might actually be a blessing in disguise. Away from it the stop layouts can be chaotic at times, with some stops having too many services from them especially on Market Street. Hopefully some thought will go into throwing up a few more covered stops around the centre to ease some of the rucks that form when two or three buses are due at the same time.
Bear in mind Market Street is being pedestrianised later this year, so city centre stops will be changing anyway

The plans have ‘bus hubs’ or whatever they are calling them

Bantamzen

Established Member
Bear in mind Market Street is being pedestrianised later this year, so city centre stops will be changing anyway

The plans have ‘bus hubs’ or whatever they are calling them
Actually that is true, I'd forgotten about that. So let's hope these "hubs" are more than just shuffling stops around and actually improve service & connectivity whilst the Interchange is closed.

Andyh82

Established Member
Considering First have got a canteen in Interchange what are their drivers doing at the moment during their meal breaks?
First’s drivers facility is technically in the railway station building so I think it is unaffected

Ianigsy

The exception (I believe) is Wakefield which is owned and managed by Arriva. Hence it being decked out in their colour scheme rather than the standard Metro Red.

Not yet they haven't. Heckmondwike "Hub" is still as it was, just an open square with bus stops round the edge. The plan for a proper bus station is going ahead though, it just hasn't started construction yet.
Otley is owned by First - I belong to an organisation which funded some planters in the bus station about 15 years ago and it was definitely First that we (and Otley Town Council) dealt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.