• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brian Rose, London Mayor Candidate, and COVID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
Exactly that. The opposition candidates are awful.
Sian (Green) is very good on the transport front and an engineer, the problems is the the green policies won't align with more than a quarter of voters.
The Conservative Party should have put someone high profile forwards instead of someone highly divisive.
It almost looked like no good candidates wanted to stand, his opposition was even worse.

bramling

Veteran Member
I am ~500m into Surrey from the Greater London border, so I won't get a say, however Brian Rose is a lunatic. I know some people on here have very valid reasons for being anti-lockdown, but Rose goes one step further and actively spreads misinformation and conspiracies. Some politicians don't seem to realise you CAN do one without the other!

Sadiq Khan has not been the best of mayors for sure, however certain policies he has enacted have actually made a noticeable difference in people's lives - for example, the hopper fare he introduced made bus travel infinitely more attractive to me, and whilst one policy shouldn't be an election winner by itself, not many other politicians have made such a direct, visible impact on people's lives. The other reason why I think he is polling so well is again because all the other candidates, perhaps bar Stewart and Berry (although the former has dropped out), are absolute nutjobs. It will take you 30 seconds of googling to find something Shaun Bailey has said that would p*ss off half of London.

This is the thing, one has to wonder why the post seems to be attracting total lunatics. Unlike the likes of Bailey, Khan started off looking reasonably calm and measured, but this quickly turned out to be an illusion.

londonteacher

Sian (Green) is very good on the transport front and an engineer, the problems is the the green policies won't align with more than a quarter of voters.

It almost looked like no good candidates wanted to stand, his opposition was even worse.
That is a fair point. Sian is good and her work in the assembly has been excellent but you are right not enough people would vote for her.

southern442

Established Member
That is a fair point. Sian is good and her work in the assembly has been excellent but you are right not enough people would vote for her.
I do find her transport policies very exciting, even if some are quite radical, although the Greens as a whole would need all sorts of shake-ups in campaigning if they wanted her to be a serious contender.

RE Khan, I can't shake the feeling that he is following in the footsteps of Boris by having... other ambitions...

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Well the London Mayor is a supplementary vote system so you can vote for whoever you want as your first preference and then put your insurance 2nd. Reduces tactical voting (only a little). Anyway I'll be voting Lib Dem or Green as they've always had policies I tend to agree with. Probably lean more towards Lib Dem because the Greens continue with their nonsensical HS2 opposition with obviously impacts London.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Basically he is using his mayoral campaign to crowdfund donations that he will use for his personal expenses and to raise his profile so people will pay for his $3000 "business accelerator" course leadership courses this YouTube video will explain it in more detail.

I'd not heard of this guy until reading this thread, but then it's a while since I lived in London. I was trying to think who he reminded me of (the gimlet eyes, full of contempt, darting sideways all the time) then it came to me - Jimmy Savile. The conman clothing too - all for appearance, and a total fake. I'm not saying Rose shares Savile's proclivities, I'm saying he's equally phoney, and a potential threat to anyone who comes into prolonged contact with him, especially if that person tries to extricate themselves from the 'arrangement'.

johnnychips

Established Member
My friend is younger than me and convinced he will win because he ‘goes out on the streets and meets people’ on the basis of some YouTube videos he has watched. What does he think other candidates will do?

On a more serious point, the social media you watch and the friends on it you associate with reinforce your view that that is what is happening in wider society, when in fact there are many diverse views.

‘But Khan can’t win, everyone thinks he’s a disaster/ an idiot’. No, friend, that’s just your circle.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A disaster and an idiot can get elected as Mayor, then get re-elected, and, not too much later, beat allcomers to become party leader with the job of Prime Minister on the side, then preside over the catastrophe that is the government's response to a pandemic offering scattergun solutions in the hope that one of them might, just might, do the trick. By comparison, Khan is a novice, not helped by being as devoid of personality as his leader, 'Sir' Keir Starmer. One (almost, but not quite) wishes Corbyn J. was still in situ: John McDonnell, now stifled, should have had a tilt at Mayor imo.

johnnychips

Established Member
I will just add, as this is a Covid thread that he in #68 is as equally sceptical as me about the government actions. However, because all his friends agree with him, he will not accept that there is still a significant amount of the population who are really scared of the virus and will have to be won over. He is the opposite epitome of the Karens on their FB pages.

I am still very interested on London forum members’ views on how they will vote in the London election, and if Covid policies will affect their choice.

bramling

Veteran Member
A disaster and an idiot can get elected as Mayor, then get re-elected, and, not too much later, beat allcomers to become party leader with the job of Prime Minister on the side, then preside over the catastrophe that is the government's response to a pandemic offering scattergun solutions in the hope that one of them might, just might, do the trick. By comparison, Khan is a novice, not helped by being as devoid of personality as his leader, 'Sir' Keir Starmer. One (almost, but not quite) wishes Corbyn J. was still in situ: John McDonnell, now stifled, should have had a tilt at Mayor imo.

Yes Khan lacks the impact Boris had. By comparison Khan is like a totally flat and stale fizzy drink.

Yew

Established Member
A disaster and an idiot can get elected as Mayor, then get re-elected, and, not too much later, beat allcomers to become party leader with the job of Prime Minister on the side, then preside over the catastrophe that is the government's response to a pandemic offering scattergun solutions in the hope that one of them might, just might, do the trick.
Why does that sound familiar...

NorthKent1989

Established Member
I will vote for anyone who:

1: Tough on crime

2: Anti Lockdown

3: Anti Vaccine passport

4: Good for TfL

5: Can make London a world class safe city again.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

No need to make a note in your diary reminding you when it's polling day then. :lol:

NorthKent1989

Established Member
No need to make a note in your diary reminding you when it's polling day then. :lol:

;) I can’t wait to vote but I’m stuck on who to vote for, we can’t have an authoritarian mayor but we need a strong mayor to deal with crime

matt_world2004

Established Member

How does anti lockdown and anti vaccine passport make s difference when the mayor doesn't have control over these policy areas

NorthKent1989

Established Member
How does anti lockdown and anti vaccine passport make s difference when the mayor doesn't have control over these policy areas

Because it’s a start that someone wants to reject authoritarianism even if it’s only in a region, it maybe a ripple effect to other cities and regions in the country.

londonteacher

Because it’s a start that someone wants to reject authoritarianism even if it’s only in a region, it maybe a ripple effect to other cities and regions in the country.
But, unless it's the Conservative candidate the government will not listen anyway! I agree though but in the world of politics is that ever enough?

matt_world2004

Established Member
Ruling party more likely to listen to Geordie Grieg (Daily Mail editor) and Rupert Murdoch than the mayor of London.

takno

Established Member
Much as I've been pretty unimpressed by Khan, he's been stitched up like a kipper by the government. He was (wrongly in my opinion) pushing for somewhat harsher restrictions to come in earlier in the hope of avoiding worse later. He was completely ignored until the government decided to go from limited restrictions to almost-lockdown in a week, all the while suggesting that they'd done what he wanted.

In any case, given the guff that scientists were coming out with at the time, it was quite reasonable for him to believe that an earlier lockdown would actually prevent a harder lockdown later

bramling

Veteran Member
Much as I've been pretty unimpressed by Khan, he's been stitched up like a kipper by the government. He was (wrongly in my opinion) pushing for somewhat harsher restrictions to come in earlier in the hope of avoiding worse later. He was completely ignored until the government decided to go from limited restrictions to almost-lockdown in a week, all the while suggesting that they'd done what he wanted.

In any case, given the guff that scientists were coming out with at the time, it was quite reasonable for him to believe that an earlier lockdown would actually prevent a harder lockdown later

The interesting thing is that Khan has overall responsibility for bodies like TfL, yet I don’t remember much being done in the way of Covid mitigation measures being taken on the Underground nor on the buses in the lead up to the March 2020 lockdown (I presume that is what you are referring to, apologies if I’ve misinterpreted your post).

Khan has for sure made a lot of noise, but when one searches for actions there seems to be less to see.

southern442

Established Member
The interesting thing is that Khan has overall responsibility for bodies like TfL, yet I don’t remember much being done in the way of Covid mitigation measures being taken on the Underground nor on the buses in the lead up to the March 2020 lockdown (I presume that is what you are referring to, apologies if I’ve misinterpreted your post).
To be fair to him, starting an 'essential travel only' message on a whim when nobody else had done anything wouldn't have gone down well with anyone else, he probably would've been stopped.

However I think the post was referring to lockdown 2.0, November time. I'm sure that even some lockdown-haters would agree that a short one earlier on is favourable to a longer one later, and I think that was the problem that Khan found himself in, I think he was one of the ones calling for a circuit breaker around late October time.

bramling

Veteran Member
To be fair to him, starting an 'essential travel only' message on a whim when nobody else had done anything wouldn't have gone down well with anyone else, he probably would've been stopped.

However I think the post was referring to lockdown 2.0, November time. I'm sure that even some lockdown-haters would agree that a short one earlier on is favourable to a longer one later, and I think that was the problem that Khan found himself in, I think he was one of the ones calling for a circuit breaker around late October time.

I can see there’s an argument that *if* you’re going to do a lockdown, it’s probably best to do it sooner, though of course that doesn’t resolve the problem of how you exit from it. Meanwhile, Wales of course tried the circuit breaker, and it doesn’t seem to have been very effective at all.

takno

Established Member

I was Indeed referring to October.

XAM2175

Established Member
"Tough on crime" and "not an authoritarian" sound awfully close to mutually exclusive in my mind.

southern442

Established Member
"Tough on crime" and "not an authoritarian" sound awfully close to mutually exclusive in my mind.
Indeed, unless one is 'tough on crime' by fixing the societal problems that cause the crime in the first place :D
But I very much doubt anyone from this selection will be doing that.

deltic

Established Member
I will just add, as this is a Covid thread that he in #68 is as equally sceptical as me about the government actions. However, because all his friends agree with him, he will not accept that there is still a significant amount of the population who are really scared of the virus and will have to be won over. He is the opposite epitome of the Karens on their FB pages.

I am still very interested on London forum members’ views on how they will vote in the London election, and if Covid policies will affect their choice.
I will be voting for the Lib Dems, Mayoral views on Covid are irrelevant, the Mayor in reality has very limited powers in this area.

brad465

Established Member
I will be voting for the Lib Dems, Mayoral views on Covid are irrelevant, the Mayor in reality has very limited powers in this area.
I don't know if this applies to the Lib Dem Mayoral candidate, but Ed Davey the party leader ahs recently been anti-restrictions (or at least anti the Coronavirus act having spoken against it in Parliament).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Brian Rose drank his own piss, a perfect metaphor for this hell-election of weirdos and idiots.

Video footage has emerged of a London mayoral candidate drinking his own urine.

London Real candidate Brian Rose posted footage of himself describing the fluid as ‘a little salty’ in 2018.

On a separate occasion in which he drinks the liquid with free runner Timothy Shieff, former banker Mr Rose describes the glass of wee as ‘really not bad at all’.

Status
Not open for further replies.