• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridge Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainbloke

Hi Group,
I am posting here for the first time, so hello. I currently use a non digital SLR (eos50), but want to start doing digital things. I can't afford the DSLR I want, so I wondered if anyone has any experience of the Panasonic DMC FZ8 or any similar bridge camera with a full manual mode?

Thanks in advance ....... Martin Angel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Hi Group,
I am posting here for the first time, so hello. I currently use a non digital SLR (eos50), but want to start doing digital things. I can't afford the DSLR I want, so I wondered if anyone has any experience of the Panasonic DMC FZ8 or any similar bridge camera with a full manual mode?

Well Fuji do a good line of Cameras, Most of Panasonic are not Batteries, its best to get a camera that takes batteries, what kind of zoom do you want? 10x optical or somthing higher?, as I have the Fuji S5700 as so do about 6 or 7 other people on this forum, it has full Manual modes and the other Exposure Modes and has 10x optical with decent-ish video!, PM me If you need more information on cameras!

carlwestwood

i use a fuji S9600, which has all the functions of the 5700 plus barrel zoom and fully manual if you want it to be
I know one of my mates got rid of his 5700 in favour of a 9600 because he thought it was too light and flimsy.
it of course depends on what you want to achieve and what you use your photography for.

Established Member
i use a fuji S9600, which has all the functions of the 5700 plus barrel zoom and fully manual if you want it to be
I know one of my mates got rid of his 5700 in favour of a 9600 because he thought it was too light and flimsy.
it of course depends on what you want to achieve and what you use your photography for.

:|, got rid of it because it was light and filmsy?!?!?!, thats insane, the camera is fine and does the job with added video zoom, whats weight got to do with anything?:-?.

Mine has done its job well, the battery lasts centurys...

devon_metro

Established Member
If you are going to get a decent camera you might as well ditch the motor as it drains battery, could break is is probably slow and not as controlled as using the hand.

But what do I know, Fred is the photography expert.

Mintona

Established Member
:|, got rid of it because it was light and filmsy?!?!?!, thats insane, the camera is fine and does the job with added video zoom, whats weight got to do with anything?:-?.

Mine has done its job well, the battery lasts centurys...

Different people have different opinions Fred..;)

P156KWJ

Established Member
I'd keep on using my SLR, I have a Nikon FM2 and it still goes on and on! Truprint do dirt cheap processing too, from £1.49

Muppet

Anything Fuji Works well if you have the money invest in a SLR, if not a s9600 is a good alternative

Snapper

Established Member
Hi Group,

Hi Martin,

I've just done a quick trawl of various reviews, and the results all seem pretty favourable. It would appear to be one of the leaders in its class.

But before you splash out on one I'd seriously recommend that you actually visit a shop like Jessops so that you can get your hands on one and see how it feels. The way a camera handles is pretty important. If it doesn't feel right you may not enjoy using it or find that you can get the best out of it (buttons to small for fingers etc).

As for the comment earlier about why does weight matter. It's very simple: stability. If a camera is too light you'll have problems with slow shutter speeds as the thing will flop around in your hand - especially if it's windy.

Hope this helps.

alex57601

Bridge cameras, as we all know, are perfect for those who want to take their photography to the next level/want more features, but can't afford SLR prices (and I haven't mentioned lenses yet).

I used a Fuji S5500 before upgrading to a Canon EOS 40D last year, and I couldn't fault it much after 2 years of using it so therefore I fully recommended Fuji for a bridge camera, with the S9600 being the smart choice from what I've read.

Stay away from the S8000fd though as I've heard of some unfavourable reviews from other forums (one guy ended up exchanged it for the S9600) and a few customers writing reviews on Amazon regretting ever buying it. Issues raised in reviews include grainy photos, slow start up, build quality in comparison to other Fuji's, and an apparent compromise of picture quality when zooming in.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
To be completely honest the only good thing about the Fuji bridge cameras is the video/audio quality totally rocks. My S5600 did take a few decent photos but I was otherwise disappointed in the jpeg compression and image noise/grain.

Since buying my 400D I've not looked back on upgrading, it truely is an awesome camera. I just need to add the 50mm f/1.8, 24-105mm f/2.8L IS and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS to my lens arsenal and I'll have a force to be reckoned with 8-)

kestrel

To be completely honest the only good thing about the Fuji bridge cameras is the video/audio quality totally rocks. My S5600 did take a few decent photos but I was otherwise disappointed in the jpeg compression and image noise/grain.

Since buying my 400D I've not looked back on upgrading, it truely is an awesome camera. I just need to add the 50mm f/1.8, 24-105mm f/2.8L IS and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS to my lens arsenal and I'll have a force to be reckoned with 8-)

Hows yer battery life? those canon's like to eat batts:shock:

Mintona

Established Member

The ONLY good thing? I think that's a bit harsh, I've been using an S9600 for over a year now, and it is a fantastic camera, serves it's purpose wonderfully. My shots have definitely got better since I have had it, and now I'm really quite proud of a lot of them. :D

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Its widely known that the Fuji bridge cameras haven't exactly got the best quality when you look at the pics close up. All of the pics taken by my s5600 had alot of fringing and colour merging which is all down to the small sensor and jpeg compression. Not to mention the over-grain-iness wasn't helpful
I don't get that with my 400D, which is why I opted to not get another bridge camera and go straight to the DSLR end of the spectrum.

Kestel, the battery life is alot better now I use two ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.