• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Airways

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Today's public service announcement; the BA lounge at GLA is closed until Sunday. Couple of folks outside giving £30 food and drink vouchers which I have just discovered are only valid at Starbucks, BK and the Bird & Signet

Any idea why it was closed - staff shortages ?

jagardner1984

It was looking a bit tired the last time I was in there. It seems odd that central pier is so unused at GLA, with many of the gates empty for much of the day, sending passengers all the way to the end for the BA gates.

Flew with them at the weekend - and must say despite decent onboard service (nothing fancy) the Heathrow experience is just really laughable - particularly for a flag carrier.

Honestly think the ground time from touch down to walking through the Elizabeth line gate line must have been not dissimilar to the flight. Remote stand, multiple waits for multiple buses, bus offload point some distance from the stand. I think if I’d have had a terminal transfer it would have been very stressful.

The “large airport experience” at Schipol, Dubai or JFK was unrecognisable, to me.

Some kind of Rottweiler on the Elizabeth line Gate line barking at people who didn’t have their contactless ready didn’t exactly enhance my view of the whole saga ! (still don’t think the distinction between HEx and Crossrail is particularly well defined or segregated, and noticeable anxiety amongst some overseas passengers to the auto announcements telling them how “X Y Z was not valid, train would not be stopping at A B C,” competing with the platform staff member shouting into the mic over the top. Think the signage and announcements should be much more basic and stripped down “Train is for LONDON” - flashing next departure arrow highlighting which train to get there soonest.

Made me wonder how many major hub airports have multi price point non interchangeable tickets on the same mode of transport from the same airport terminal. It really is a mess of ticketing and implementation.

RailWonderer

Established Member
They've changed the snack on short hall flights. Its now a chocolate bar or graze snacks
It's random. You always get the Harrogate Spring but I have had a 50g Kellogg's cereal bar on a morning service to Sweden and a 20g flapjack in the evening, and pretzels both ways to Ireland. There doesn't seem to be a rule on which flights. On a five hour long flight to Jordan you can get a tiny bag of peanuts.

Butts

Veteran Member
It's random. You always get the Harrogate Spring but I have had a 50g Kellogg's cereal bar on a morning service to Sweden and a 20g flapjack in the evening, and pretzels both ways to Ireland. There doesn't seem to be a rule on which flights. On a five hour long flight to Jordan you can get a tiny bag of peanuts.

That really is pretty poor for that duration, plus you can't rely on BOB being available.

In those circumstances I'd deviate from Buy on Board to Bring on Board from The Lounge.

najaB

Veteran Member
That really is pretty poor for that duration, plus you can't rely on BOB being available.
Anything over four hours should be a sandwich at least, considering that between boarding process and time spent getting through immigration and customs, etc. at the other end and you'd be looking at six hours total, which is a bit over the typical time between meals for most people.

Butts

Veteran Member
Anything over four hours should be a sandwich at least, considering that between boarding process and time spent getting through immigration and customs, etc. at the other end and you'd be looking at six hours total, which is a bit over the typical time between meals for most people.

Another benefit of BA Silver - pre-boarding picnic provision in the Lounge.

RailWonderer

Established Member
It was controversial when BA downgraded Moscow, Cairo and Ammam flights to short haul when the 747s and 767s were retired. Tel Aviv, before the conflict with Hamas, was still served with long haul planes and a meal, largely because Virgin were doing the same on that route.

In those circumstances I'd deviate from Buy on Board to Bring on Board from The Lounge.
They have, from September, improved that offer, but for a while it was that bad.

najaB

Veteran Member
It was controversial when BA downgraded Moscow, Cairo and Ammam flights to short haul when the 747s and 767s were retired. Tel Aviv, before the conflict with Hamas, was still served with long haul planes and a meal, largely because Virgin were doing the same on that route.
I have no issue with flights up to say five hours being served by single-aisle aircraft.

Longer than that can be problematic, though, that said, I flew Edinburgh to New York on a 757 and it was quite a nice experience. They did, however, cater it as you'd expect for a long-haul flight.

Much less enjoyable was Toronto to Barbados on board an A320, despite it being a shorter flight.

route101

Established Member
I have had cereal bar with Harrogate spring water on morning flights. On evening I had the water and pretzels and Tyrells crisps on another.

Do the London City flights get a different offering?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I have had cereal bar with Harrogate spring water on morning flights. On evening I had the water and pretzels and Tyrells crisps on another.

Yes, Cityflyer have a more generous offering with a pretty comprehensive bar service available for free on all flights (including alcoholic drinks) and sandwiches etc. for the longer flights.

The logic behind this has historically been that it allowed Cityflyer to operate with just two cabin crew as it was deemed that a third would be needed to enact "buy on board".

However with the E190s now in the process of being 'densified', they will exceed 100 seats and thus legally require a third member of cabin crew (1 is required for every 50 installed seats). It remains to be seen whether the catering will move to BoB.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Yes, Cityflyer have a more generous offering with a pretty comprehensive bar service available for free on all flights (including alcoholic drinks) and sandwiches etc. for the longer flights.

The logic behind this has historically been that it allowed Cityflyer to operate with just two cabin crew as it was deemed that a third would be needed to enact "buy on board".

However with the E190s now in the process of being 'densified', they will exceed 100 seats and thus legally require a third member of cabin crew (1 is required for every 50 installed seats). It remains to be seen whether the catering will move to BoB.
Aren't Cityflyer services to LCY more expensive? Wouldn't this be an incentive to keep the included refreshments?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Aren't Cityflyer services to LCY more expensive? Wouldn't this be an incentive to keep the included refreshments?
Typically yes, but it does vary based on day of the week, time of day etc. Worth noting that the airport departure charges for City are really quite expensive - at £42 per passenger they make Heathrow look cheap!

I also doubt that the popularity of Cityflyer has any significant correlation with the availability of free drinks & snacks. In the eyes of BA management, that's an untapped revenue stream; sadly there's little evidence of strategic or long-term thinking in terms of the reputation/impression you give off.

Personally speaking I can't see how the revenue from BoB and a couple of extra seats on Cityflyer's generally short flights can offset the cost of an extra member of cabin crew. But I haven't had sight of the figures.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Typically yes, but it does vary based on day of the week, time of day etc. Worth noting that the airport departure charges for City are really quite expensive - at £42 per passenger they make Heathrow look cheap!

I also doubt that the popularity of Cityflyer has any significant correlation with the availability of free drinks & snacks. In the eyes of BA management, that's an untapped revenue stream; sadly there's little evidence of strategic or long-term thinking in terms of the reputation/impression you give off.

Personally speaking I can't see how the revenue from BoB and a couple of extra seats on Cityflyer's generally short flights can offset the cost of an extra member of cabin crew. But I haven't had sight of the figures.
Hmm, I guess we'll see what happens.

Butts

Veteran Member

Not always as stated, sometimes they can be cheaper.

The Aircraft are top notch Embraer's with 2x2 Seating hence no piggy in the middle and better standard legroom than any of the Heathrow Domestic Fleet.

Landing at LCY is also a joy as you are off the plane in minutes.

jagardner1984

As much commented above, it is hard to judge whether the success of city is just because it is such an obviously more pleasant experience, or because Heathrow is so utterly dreadful, or a mixture of both, but it seems a shame for them to compromise a currently very good product for the sake of an extra row and the price of some very basic food.

Seems an awfully short term view.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Not always as stated, sometimes they can be cheaper.

The Aircraft are top notch Embraer's with 2x2 Seating hence no piggy in the middle and better standard legroom than any of the Heathrow Domestic Fleet.

There's definitely those incentives, but I understand it's a market that has a significant business customer component, and it would be best for BA to keep refreshments on board free, rather than incentivise them to meet virtually or use other services to get to their meeting.

Jamiescott1

No snack on tonights short haul (1hr 45min) flight to lhr. Just the Harrogate spring

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No snack on tonights short haul (1hr 45min) flight to lhr. Just the Harrogate spring
I've heard that complaints about such "lack of catering" have attracted considerable amounts of Avios in compensation. Just saying... ;)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not much use for UK Domestic or European jaunts though ?:?:

Agreed. The main benefit of status for me is on short haul trips where I often don’t feel it’s worth paying for business class.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Yes experienced that today - and yet again they were very generous with the Scotch. ;)