• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Railways Region Colours on Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Isn't that just 50s all-over crimson? crimson & cream without the cream.

My interpretation of Parkin, which mainly deals with Mark 1 stock, is that from 1949 to 1956 just about everything on all regions was painted in the original BR crimson lake. This would include stock on the Southern Region: anything to be seen in green was in the old Southern Railway colours, possibly revarnished or touched up.

Thanks for the info.

It certainly looks very striking in the few colour photos from that time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Irascible

Established Member
Also had the advantage that if you didn't clean it, when it was dirty it looked maroon so no repainting needed! ( joking, mostly :D )

Bright red is a bit of a wierd colour for a steam railway, still.

randyrippley

Established Member
Isn't that just 50s all-over crimson? crimson & cream without the cream.
You're making the same mistake as I did earlier
Crimson lake is the same as maroon. However a different maroon than used on the LMS.............
"Blood & custard" was usually described as carmine & cream - and the old coaches at Weymouth were all-over carmine, not crimson. Even though the colour was seemingly described as maroon by BR, but that would have been before fading....At this time distance it seems hard to know just what the colour was supposed to be

some relevant comments on this thread

Last edited:

alexl92

Established Member
The green and cream livery was a BR version of the LNER Tourist livery and we had a thread on that recently:

The blood and custard livery has always intrigued me a bit because I’ve seen so many different shades of it at various preserved railways. I’d love to know what the original specifications were.
I started a thread on this a few years back as I’d noticed that for example the Bluebell B&C set was a brighter red and more of a cream colour, whereas the NYMR stock is more of a yellow-y custardy colour with what looks to me more like scarlet red. Can’t find the post yet but will report back when I do!

Status
Not open for further replies.