• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Transport Police investigating Bird Box challenge on live railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ben Glasgow

I can’t help but laugh at the Darwin Award worthyness of this. OBVIOUSLY I don’t condone nore would want a driver to go through this should it go horribly wrong but natural selection my friends. If you’re stupid enough to think it’s worth doing for banter, they should be having serious words with themselves...

J-Rod

This is what happens when you give the kids access to too much tech and too much time on their hands. Daftness.

(Personally, I can't wait for this fad of YouTubers to pass over. As someone said earlier, very little of it is of any substance. In my day job, I deal with people Wot Do Perform Stuff and recently, we've had alot of folks offering their services to us on the basis that they 'have X-thousand amount of subscribers on YouTube' and are therefore legit. My university lecturer had a phrase: "Eat s**t, 5 zillion flies can't be wrong...")

Muzer

Established Member
This is what happens when you give the kids access to too much tech and too much time on their hands. Daftness.

(Personally, I can't wait for this fad of YouTubers to pass over. As someone said earlier, very little of it is of any substance. In my day job, I deal with people Wot Do Perform Stuff and recently, we've had alot of folks offering their services to us on the basis that they 'have X-thousand amount of subscribers on YouTube' and are therefore legit. My university lecturer had a phrase: "Eat s**t, 5 zillion flies can't be wrong...")
Funny how it was thought necessary to produce films such as The Finishing Line in 1977. All of that new technology like Pong and colour television must have been making them go crazy. It's almost as if having technology to keep them occupied keeps kids from getting bored and doing daft things these days...

Gostav

When l was a child l also have many free time and walked on the mainline or station or visited the yard and engine shed (of course in Mainland),but l never thought about doing these things such as climb the roof; torch stealing detonator (and put it on fire); Bird Box challenge;Graffiti on train. etc
Sadly idiots also happen in my country, thank for those guys many shed and yard no longer fully open for public.

Ben Glasgow

Funny how it was thought necessary to produce films such as The Finishing Line in 1977. All of that new technology like Pong and colour television must have been making them go crazy. It's almost as if having technology to keep them occupied keeps kids from getting bored and doing daft things these days...

Is this the one that’s on YouTube and has kids essentially having sports day on what’s made out to be a live line?

It’s an incredibly bizarre film but it’s great at getting the message across albeit in a very abstract way. Definitely has that 70s charm considering it’s all shot on film.

Ben Glasgow

Is this the one that’s on YouTube and has kids essentially having sports day on what’s made out to be a live line?

It’s an incredibly bizarre film but it’s great at getting the message across albeit in a very abstract way. Definitely has that 70s charm considering it’s all shot on film.

Just to clarify, managed to have a google there and it’s exactly the film I thought you meant.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
What would be the most serious charges and the maximum penalty the law could impose?

The youth having all his / her equiptment removed and barred from having a computer, smartphone or any other recording device so that'd be their facebook, twitter and any other sites they use out of the window through taking part in a stupid stunt such as this birdbox challenge. I would say five years inprisonment, but as with a suggestion on another thread I don't think it would be effective enough for the youth involved to see the seriousness of their careless actions.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The youth having all his / her equiptment removed and barred from having a computer, smartphone or any other recording device so that'd be their facebook, twitter and any other sites they use out of the window through taking part in a stupid stunt such as this birdbox challenge. I would say five years inprisonment, but as with a suggestion on another thread I don't think it would be effective enough for the youth involved to see the seriousness of their careless actions.

He asked what are the highest possible penalties, not what do you think they should be.

The offence being committed is trespass on the Railway (gross stupidity/negligence is not in itself an offence). What's the present maximum penalty for that? The classic BR signs are £1000 but I suspect it's gone up.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

genius. Superb comedy - put a big smile on my face.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

deltic1989

Established Member
What would be the most serious charges and the maximum penalty the law could impose?
According to the byelaws, they can only be subject to a fine "not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.
Level 3 being £1000.
Weather that's per offence, or as a whole, I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer.

From watching this idiots click baitey channel though it would appear that £1000 would be a slap on the wrist.
The guy seems to rent office space in a swanky business park, drive a top of the line Range Rover, and live in a mansion that could fit my entire house in the living room.

whhistle

On Moderation
It's a shame as the film was really good - especially when you consider the somewhat hidden message behind it.

But I don't see why people feel the need to copy.

There's plenty of films that people don't copy but could, so why this one?

Muzer

Established Member
It's a shame as the film was really good - especially when you consider the somewhat hidden message behind it.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one ;)

But I don't see why people feel the need to copy.

There's plenty of films that people don't copy but could, so why this one?
It's a powerful image from the film and something people wonder whether or not they can do. And doing it around your own house/garden/in public areas where you're not inconveniencing people and where you have someone supervising you to make sure you don't hurt yourself, I don't see why not, sure, knock yourself out. It's not the sort of thing I'd want to do, but I don't mind about that. It's where it starts getting dangerous and involves committing crimes... some people just feel the need to take things to far, perhaps in search of that YouTube advertising revenue...

From watching this idiots click baitey channel though it would appear that £1000 would be a slap on the wrist.
The guy seems to rent office space in a swanky business park, drive a top of the line Range Rover, and live in a mansion that could fit my entire house in the living room.
Maybe now, but businesses linked to what's currently popular are never a long term proposition. The fad will pass and as soon as people start to get bored of this stuff, their advertisers will drop them quicker than a lead balloon and they'll be left wondering where it all went wrong. At which point many of us who bothered to learn a proper trade will be feeling a degree of schadenfreude...

Also 'seems to' may well be the most telling words in your post ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.