• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Broken Down Train - Haywards Heath

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardKing

1A14 came to a stand outside Haywards Heath about an hour ago, blocking one of the down lines through the station. The reason Southern gave for this was simply that the train was broken down. However, Realtime Trains states that the breakdown was due to a bird strike (with a 'V8' code). Firstly, can anyone confirm the bird strike? Secondly, if this is true, it must have been quite a hefty bird for it to bring the train to a stand for around an hour! Has anything like this happened before on that route?

The units have since been sent off to Lovers Walk under the headcode of 5A14.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCSHF007

Reportedly "came to a stand across Copyhold Junction after striking a pheasant resulting in loss of air due to damage to the main reservoir cock".

ComUtoR

Established Member
Quite a mess I imagine!

I find that birds tend to bounce. It can be quite loud. I've never had a bird cause damage to a unit and that includes when the slam into the window (I still duck)

I've seen a few caught in couplers but certainly not "messy"

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Has anything like this happened before on that route?

Regular occurrence across the network, unfortunately. That's why we've got a beautiful flow-chart with the TDA guide to use for delay attribution purposes when the delay is caused by an animal. It's one of the small flow charts though, which is nice.

V8 code is "Birds not the responsibility of Network Rail" which can only be used when the bird involved is the size of a pheasant or smaller, the train is a passenger train, and the bird hits any part of the train other than the pantograph or shoe gear.

If the bird had taken out the shoe gear, it would become attributable to Network Rail, under code X8, if the bird had been bigger than a pheasant, it also gets an X8 code, unless the bird was being carried by a passenger, then it gets a VZ code.

RichardKing

I find that birds tend to bounce. It can be quite loud. I've never had a bird cause damage to a unit and that includes when the slam into the window (I still duck)

I've seen a few caught in couplers but certainly not "messy"

I suppose it depends on the bird!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Regular occurrence across the network, unfortunately. That's why we've got a beautiful flow-chart with the TDA guide to use for delay attribution purposes when the delay is caused by an animal. It's one of the small flow charts though, which is nice.

V8 code is "Birds not the responsibility of Network Rail" which can only be used when the bird involved is the size of a pheasant or smaller, the train is a passenger train, and the bird hits any part of the train other than the pantograph or shoe gear.

If the bird had taken out the shoe gear, it would become attributable to Network Rail, under code X8, if the bird had been bigger than a pheasant, it also gets an X8 code, unless the bird was being carried by a passenger, then it gets a VZ code.

I'm assuming that 'VZ' means that neither the TOC or Network Rail are to be blamed and fined?
Also, do you have a list of the codes and their meanings?

Last edited:

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
I suppose it depends on the bird!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I'm assuming that 'VZ' means that neither the TOC or Network Rail are to be blamed and fined?
Also, do you have a list of the codes and their meanings?

The Delay Attribution Guide is available from the Delay Attribution Board's website. VZ is a passenger TOC responsibility code.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

We had escaped Ostriches on the East Suffolk Line once (genuinely).

The DA guys weren't sure what to do, so buried their heads in the sand.

Elecman

Established Member
Why should NR be liable for any bird strike? What can they reasonably do to prevent them?

Lockwood

V8 code is "Birds not the responsibility of Network Rail" which can only be used when [...] and the bird hits any part of the train other than the pantograph or shoe gear.

If the bird had taken out the shoe gear, it would become attributable to Network Rail

So, if a bird takes out the windscreen it's the TOC's fault and if it takes out the power feed it is NR's fault?

I am confuse.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Happened before in that area. Immobilisd the air pipes under / front of a 319.

Way , way back - a 37 and coal train hit a "herd" of Flamingos on the Vale of Neath line near Penscynor Wildlife Park on the approach to Neath Riverside with similar (if colourful) results. Bad luck for the birds though.

BestWestern

Established Member

Could we please open a Sticky thread entitled "Definitive Proof That Privatisation Really Is Boll*cks" and just post this in there. Should settle it once a for all; ta.

Just wow. What else is there to be said... :roll::roll::roll:

najaB

Veteran Member
Could we please open a Sticky thread entitled "Definitive Proof That Privatisation Really Is Boll*cks" and just post this in there. Should settle it once a for all; ta.

Just wow. What else is there to be said... :roll::roll::roll:
Is that a result of privatisation or vertical separation?

Indeed shades of the parliamentary enquiry into the setting up of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway. An "Honourable Member" ask the L&M's chief engineer;..... "and if a cow should happen upon the line Mr Stephenson?"

After a bit thought Mr Stephenson replied; "Be rather unfortunate for the coow, Sir." He being a Northumbrian born in Wylam, which is a few few miles up the Tyne from Newcastle.

Last edited:

westcoaster

Established Member
There is a pheasant farm between balcombe station and Ouse valley viaduct ( known as pheasant alley), the track is awash with dead birds and carcuses, I hit loads along that stretch even smashing the seconmans window screen on a 377.

6Gman

Established Member
Why should NR be liable for any bird strike? What can they reasonably do to prevent them?

Since ostriches cannot fly they must have walked onto the line - hence a fencing issue - hence NR.

(He said semi-seriously)

I was on a MkI many years ago belting along near Penkridge when a pigeon decided to fly into the side of the train, connecting with the frame of the (open) top window. Didn't cause delay, but the pigeon was terminated! The largest fragment was smaller than a currant!

Status
Not open for further replies.