• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buncefield Oil Depot Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprog

Established Member
Holland on Rail said:
I know Its A petrol depot, otherwise I would think the UK had a little Vulcanic problem :lol: :lol:

Those pictures are awsome, especially that one with the officer..... Realy one of the best photo's I have seen this year.

I agree! :!:

Even though it is quite a serious incident, the result is really awe inspiring.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
I had to fill the car up earlier as it was on red after a 270 mile trip to Kent and back. Loads of old people in the petrol station filling their cars up. I always fill mine right up as its a 45 mile round trip to work.
So i won't need petrol til Friday now {ready for EKR saturday}

richa2002

Established Member
Looks like my wish has come true. All schools closed today are now closed tomorrow.

AlexS said:
If you're not trying to be a smart (filtered) like Paul, the smoke contains some rather hazardous compounds, such as a variety of acids. A nice variety of hydrocarbons such as methane are also likely, and also poisonous. So be careful nearby and just keep doors and windows closed.

Oi ;)

richa2002

Established Member
I'm definitely lucky to live so near by but not be affected by the smoke or any structural damage. It's a miracle no-one was killed!

tramboy

Apparently, they've just withdrawn firefighters...12/20 tanks are out but there is a possibility that one can go up totally with an "extremely volatile" fuel.

Better safe than sorry is a great motto.

Dave

class 313

Established Member
*chant*blow up blow up, i missed the first big bang, i wanna actully see wat caused so much problems

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
class 313 said:
*chant*blow up blow up, i missed the first big bang, i wanna actully see wat caused so much problems

:o I wouldn't really be encouraging another explosion. Apparently the original incident was heard in France and Belgium :o

devon_metro

Established Member
laverack222 said:
class 313 said:

:shock: I wouldn't really be encouraging another explosion. Apparently the original incident was heard in France and Belgium :o

I doubt that!

Sprog

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
laverack222 said:
class 313 said:

:shock: I wouldn't really be encouraging another explosion. Apparently the original incident was heard in France and Belgium :o

I doubt that!

Actually, it was :!: ;)

Due to the atmospheric conditons it was heard in certain parts of europe..... :idea:

Tom B

Established Member
Why exactly would you be wishing for an explosion at an OIL storage location?!

I thought it was a bit stupid the environmental people whinging, "Oh, don't put the fire out, we need to check that the chemicals in AFFF don't hurt the environment" - the environment will be much more hurt if it exploded more...

Hubert_F

Cockfosters said:
Why exactly would you be wishing for an explosion at an OIL storage location?!

I thought it was a bit stupid the environmental people whinging, "Oh, don't put the fire out, we need to check that the chemicals in AFFF don't hurt the environment" - the environment will be much more hurt if it exploded more...

It was fear of contamination to groundwater as well as practical problems.

The explosions were indeed heard as afar as the Netherlands

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4518030.stm
"My wife and I live in Hook of Holland, on the south west coast of the Netherlands, approximately one mile from the shore.

"This morning, just after seven Dutch time, the roof of our house suddenly cracked. We were both awake and heard it. This alarming sound (there was no wind at all and everything was very quiet) was directly followed by two very heavy thunderlike sounds, obviously far from our home.

"After we watched Ceefax on the Dutch television we realised that we must have been witness of the shockwave and the sound of the blast of the explosions near London.

"Considering the fact that we live about a hundred miles from London we thought it might give some idea of the intensity of the explosions."

The inversion (where the temperature of the air becomes greater with increasing height) and allows sound to refract, therefore the sound can travel much further. You will notice this at some times when you can hear a nearby road but at other times you can not.

Status
Not open for further replies.