• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Bus Bandits' to be banned from Birmingham City Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Same for Sunny Travel.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eybusman/5742517492/

All their buses seem to go to this strange place called Service. Yet to find it on a map.

One of their vehicles broke down outside my flat the other week, and it was parked up causing traffic congestion right at the start of rush hour. About an hour and a half later some guy turned up in a Mercedes with a handheld petrol can and started to refuel the bus. It had ran out of diesel!

How does the sign on the front of the bus work? It says Max Fare - £1.50 - surely that implies that is the maximum anyone will pay, yet a day return is £2.00 :|

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
TfGM are very quiet when it comes to Statutory Quality Partnerships of any type. Why do you think that this may be so?

There is the 192 route SQP, although that didn't get a huge amount of publicity. It effectively stops cowboy firms like the infamous UK North from competing on that route. It does seem surprising that they didn't go for a city centre SQP like in Nottingham and now Birmingham, which would cover the 192 anyway. Schoolboy error, IMO.

On the other hand, most cowboy operation in central Manchester has been virtually wiped out or bought out by the big boys so a SQP wouldn't make much difference. And of course it doesn't make any difference to the fundamental issues regarding deregulation: poor integration between different routes and modes, high fares (especially when changing buses and/or mode), overbussing on some routes while other routes are underserved etc. etc.

So it could be argued that TfGM can't really do that much about buses unless they go for a QC and of course that path is full of obstacles. So they are concentrating their efforts on things that are more in their gift and they certainly have their hands full with the Metrolink expansion.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How does the sign on the front of the bus work? It says Max Fare - £1.50 - surely that implies that is the maximum anyone will pay, yet a day return is £2.00 :|
It's the maximum single fare.

National Express have 2 fares, short hop (up to 2 fare stages) or maximum fare and other bus companies use the same fare structure. Instead of saying your destination when you get on the bus, you state your fare and are either issued with a ticket to the end of the 2nd fare stage, or a ticket printed WM MAX £1.80. Most bus routes don't do returns.

Ivo

Established Member
Looks like it's been with Sandwell for a few years, and that it used to be all-red. I waas going to ask if it *had* to be a Dart (Southend has had Darts and Lances with that body) but checking confirms "Ds Dt": Dennis Dart. I can't find any trace of it from before late 2008 though.

mbonwick

Established Member
Dennis Dart 9m. East Lancs EL2000 B34F. New to London Buses 06/1994 as DEL5.

Badger

Surely the worst bus company in the West Midlands; not sure if they go into Birmingham:

http://www.transpirebus.org.uk/imhowarth01/exile02.jpg
http://chesterfieldbus.bravehost.com/photographs/L742LWA-535-23-02-08.jpg

Appropriately named "Banga Buses".

"Traffic bosses in November 2006 found Banga vehicles were not in a fit state to carry passengers."

http://www.expressandstar.com/latest/2008/01/15/banga-buses-given-deadline/
http://www.expressandstar.com/latest/2009/01/19/hearing-to-decide-fate-of-banga-buses/
http://www.expressandstar.com/latest/2006/12/02/banga-buses-are-banned/

They, unfortunately, "won the right to stay on the road" despite all this.

"Disgrace" and "death trap" are often thrown around.

In fact you know what, just http://www.expressandstar.com/?s=banga

Schnellzug

Established Member
Surely the worst bus company in the West Midlands; not sure if they go into Birmingham:

http://www.transpirebus.org.uk/imhowarth01/exile02.jpg
http://chesterfieldbus.bravehost.com/photographs/L742LWA-535-23-02-08.jpg

"Traffic bosses in November 2006 found Banga vehicles were not in a fit state to carry passengers."

http://www.expressandstar.com/latest/2008/01/15/banga-buses-given-deadline/
http://www.expressandstar.com/latest/2009/01/19/hearing-to-decide-fate-of-banga-buses/
http://www.expressandstar.com/latest/2006/12/02/banga-buses-are-banned/

In fact you know what, just http://www.expressandstar.com/?s=banga

"Bus firm Banga looks at new name" no, really? I can't imagine why they might think that.

that second picture, the dot matrix display seems torn between "Sorry not in service" and something else, and they've given up and stuck the traditional piece of A4 paper in the Windscreen.

BestWestern

Established Member

There is absolutely no place at all for crap firms like this in a modern public transport structure. Just plain sh*te. This is the grim reality of the golden virtue of 'competition' :roll:

tbtc

Veteran Member
My favourite local "bandit" is Redline of Barnsley, who make virtually no effort to repaint/rebrand the second hand buses that they operate, meaning one was running round Barnsley recently showing "City Centre" in its blinds (not sure Barnsley will ever qualify for city status...)

But there's a difference between insisting on some of the things on the list in the OP and insisting on everything being low floor (given that step entrance buses still have a few years life left in them). Otherwise you end up dumping all step entrance buses on a town not savvy enough to have a Quality Partnership set up

SS4

Established Member
But there's a difference between insisting on some of the things on the list in the OP and insisting on everything being low floor (given that step entrance buses still have a few years life left in them). Otherwise you end up dumping all step entrance buses on a town not savvy enough to have a Quality Partnership set up

There don't seem to be that many around though, certainly not from what I've seen in town but I can see a cascade if it does happen, whether to other routes or other places remains to be seen

Badger

There are quite a few around these parts.

All Banga Buses, all Travel Express buses, and the old NX:WM Metrobuses (which are now with Thurmaston Bus and Centrebus in Leicester) to name but a few.

Edit: My mistake, forgot this was a Birmingham thread!

tbtc

Veteran Member
There don't seem to be that many around though, certainly not from what I've seen in town but I can see a cascade if it does happen, whether to other routes or other places remains to be seen

I don't remember seeing any in central Birmingham for some time, but my problem with a similar scheme we have in Sheffield (SQP around Barnsley Road) is that its meant one side of town gets dozens of low floor double deckers whilst the old step-entrance buses are forced onto other areas, meaning some places become dumping grounds.

Nym

Established Member
You mean like Kingston upon Hull is for all of Stagecoach's old *coughs*

Their 'new' frequento buses a couple of months ago where ex. Manchester T reg Dennis somthingorothers IIRC.

BestWestern

Established Member
You mean like Kingston upon Hull is for all of Stagecoach's old *coughs*

Their 'new' frequento buses a couple of months ago where ex. Manchester T reg Dennis somthingorothers IIRC.

In fairness to Slavecoach though they do seem to be able to maintain a decent standard of upkeep on their motors, even those which are somewhat long in the tooth! I'd rather a smart step entrance Olly or B10M than a shagged low floor Dart with a jerky gearbox any day of the week. Certainly down our way at least, it's very uncommon to see a genuinely tatty example, considerably better than some of their counterparts. Unless they've changed it their repainting schedule is roughly every three years, and that shows as the buses are usually clean and tidy. Some Barbie's haven't had a lick in a decade or so, literally! :o

Nym

Established Member
Oh yeah, the on Bankside does a great job, and the general public opinion is that they prefer the old Leyland ?Olympians (on an R Plate) to the new(er) stuff, and usually to the brand new EYMS Stock too...

Comfyer, more seats and more space is the general sentement, and showing my routes here, thats what I normally hear from Gratfeild & Preston Road, when I was on these buses (when they were brand new!)

SS4

Established Member
Some Barbie's haven't had a lick in a decade or so, literally! :o

I'm sure there is a cleaner alternative to what I thought upon reading this...

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the buses outside the city centre though, thankfully for NXWM the 28 (which always reeks) doesn't go into town :lol:

BestWestern

Established Member
I'm sure there is a cleaner alternative to what I thought upon reading this...

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the buses outside the city centre though, thankfully for NXWM the 28 (which always reeks) doesn't go into town :lol:

Barbie is most definitely filthy in every sense :lol:

Schnellzug

Established Member
My favourite local "bandit" is Redline of Barnsley, who make virtually no effort to repaint/rebrand the second hand buses that they operate, meaning one was running round Barnsley recently showing "City Centre" in its blinds (not sure Barnsley will ever qualify for city status...)

A well maintained step entrance bus (like a Volvo Olympian) can be much, much better quality than a rattly old Pointer Dart or early Solo, to be sure.

Badger

Yeah but there seems to be this notion of maintaining new buses better than old ones. NX:WM for example; if the bus is new it gets priority for maintenance, security, repainting; but as it gets to a few years old it eventually gets the same treatment as everything else and then when it gets to ten years old like all their Optares, they just give up completely on them.

I am sure if they kept up the maintenance properly for every bus, they wouldn't need to buy new buses. There is no reason for the ten year old optares to be in the bad state they are in right now. They were bought brand new, and highly praised, but in the space of a London bus's run, they've become so shoddy that they have trouble coping with dudley hills and appear to be held together with chewing gum...

In short if you give a branch an old bus they'll often treat it like an old bus.

tbtc

Veteran Member
A well maintained step entrance bus (like a Volvo Olympian) can be much, much better quality than a rattly old Pointer Dart or early Solo, to be sure.

Much better ride quality, but not much use when I'm trying to get a pram on board.

Whilst there will always be some areas with above/below average fleets, I don't like the idea of places becoming "dumping grounds", which is what would happen if all PTE areas insisted on only low floor machines.

anthony263

Established Member
I have to praise Stagecoach who do try to update their fleets regulary, I know they have spent a lot of money buying brand new vehicles for their south wales operations with somke cascades from other area's (Mostly because of vehicles written off in accidents or depot fires and the company having to take on more work suddenly when another operator suddently closes)

Unlike First Cymru who always seem to get the knockoffs from Slough or Bristol, even first's devon & cornwall operations have started getting some brand new vehicles how about giving us some low floor double deckers?

richw

Veteran Member
Unlike First Cymru who always seem to get the knockoffs from Slough or Bristol, even first's devon & cornwall operations have started getting some brand new vehicles how about giving us some low floor double deckers?

First devon and Cornwall have quite a modern fleet, dont remember seeing a bus older than an 05 reg for a while. (although they have some with HIG irish plates, unsure of the age of them). i must also say D&C always seem to keep their buses in good condition.

radamfi

Established Member
I would agree that Stagecoach typically have younger fleets than First. However, First buy higher specification vehicles, for example Wright Gemini bodied Volvos with double glazing on single decks. Stagecoach on the other hand buy mostly lower quality Enviro 200/400s.

BestWestern

Established Member
I would agree that Stagecoach typically have younger fleets than First. However, First buy higher specification vehicles, for example Wright Gemini bodied Volvos with double glazing on single decks. Stagecoach on the other hand buy mostly lower quality Enviro 200/400s.

This is true, but the difference in initial vehicle quality is often outweighed by different attitudes towards maintenance after a few years. And to be perfectly honest the average punter couldn't care less whether their ride is a Wright Volvo or a cheap and cheerful Enviro, so long as it's clean and it gets them there. Features like double glazing are becoming increasingly unfavourable in this age of sky high fuel prices, it's a lot of pointless extra weight. First have looked at lower cost 'budget' vehicles, hence their recent dabble with the Temsa Avenue. Fair play to Stagecoach for supporting their home market, though of course Suiter's shares in AlexD probably help to influence the buying policy! :D

It's normal practice for large national operators to have different 'tiers' of vehicle quality depending on location. The obvious example would be London, where the requirement to have newish vehicles in most cases means a regular intake of new rolling stock and the resultant cascades elsewhere when they have served their time. Buses which are no longer good enough for the capital are considered good enough for fleets elsewhere, and are then sent elsewhere to live out their days. Unfortunately the general spec for London motors is at odds with many of the places they end up going, as drivers discover to their annoyance when trying to get them up hills!

radamfi

Established Member
Features like double glazing are becoming increasingly unfavourable in this age of sky high fuel prices, it's a lot of pointless extra weight.

But it means you can actually see out of the window in winter!

BestWestern

Established Member
Then you repair the double glazing. Standard practice in countries where buses matter.

I shall have to visit said countries one day! I wonder if they also maintain the air conditioning units on the roofs of their ex-Hong Kong etc buses?!! :roll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.