• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Passenger Rights - Stranded If Last Bus Cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When I mentioned this to one of the drivers, they admitted that since there's nobody to check on a Sunday night, it's a pretty much free for all Sunday nights, sometimes you'll even get two drivers doing the two circulars seeing who can beat one another back to the bus station.

That makes me angry. Silly games result in taxi costs for passengers missing out. And no doubt reckless and aggressive driving, too.

The bus company involved needs to introduce GPS tracking with automatic monitoring. Those drivers could then rein in such practices or get the sack. (In MK, early running on evening services used to be endemic - one particular service I used to use was supposed to depart the station at xx:26 and used to frequently do so at xx:15 or earlier despite this being a timing point with plenty of space for safe layover - but the day GPS tracking started the early running stopped and never came back.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

175mph

On Moderation
That makes me angry. Silly games result in taxi costs for passengers missing out. And no doubt reckless and aggressive driving, too.

The bus company involved needs to introduce GPS tracking with automatic monitoring. Those drivers could then rein in such practices or get the sack. (In MK, early running on evening services used to be endemic - one particular service I used to use was supposed to depart the station at xx:26 and used to frequently do so at xx:15 or earlier despite this being a timing point with plenty of space for safe layover - but the day GPS tracking started the early running stopped and never came back.)
They most likely do have the tracking in place, it's Stagecoach I'm talking about, just nobody can be bothered to check when people complain, when I made a complaint about early running, I was told the driver who I reported would never run early and to stop making false aligations against them or I'd be banned from every single service and they wouldn't be investigating any further.

Mwanesh

One thing most people tend to forget is GPS is not always acuurate.A few days ago i was on a coach to London and the call came through .They wanted to know why the driver was parked up at Membury services.They first asked if the driver was ok.According to operations the coach had been stationary for too long .We were actually on the Hammersmith stop by then

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They most likely do have the tracking in place, it's Stagecoach I'm talking about, just nobody can be bothered to check when people complain, when I made a complaint about early running, I was told the driver who I reported would never run early and to stop making false aligations against them or I'd be banned from every single service and they wouldn't be investigating any further.

I don't know about your case, but it should not require a complaint, such an IT system should be looking for and automatically flagging up non-incidental early running (i.e. early running that is neither very occasional nor very minor) and automatically producing paperwork to kick off the formal disciplinary process about it. And of course staff should be made well aware of this being the case, and required in mitigation to proactively report any instances where they are aware of having run early with an explanation as to why (as in some very occasional cases there is a valid reason, e.g. the stop scheduled to wait time was blocked with a parked car, in which case time should be waited at the next safe and legal location).

Maybe if the operators are not responsible enough to do this properly, it's time for the Traffic Commissioner to require the provision of the data so they can do it and impose fines and other sanctions against the operators to concentrate minds?

There really is no excuse for this to carry on any more.

mark-h

Maybe if the operators are not responsible enough to do this properly, it's time for the Traffic Commissioner to require the provision of the data so they can do it and impose fines and other sanctions against the operators to concentrate minds?

Ideally there would be a requirement for buses to be fitted with GPS tracking and for the data to be shared with passenger information apps and the Traffic Commissioner. If the drivers display shows how early/late the bus is running then there is very little excuse for the driver to run early.

In Edinburgh Google Maps is able to show whether Lothian Buses services are running early or late (screenshot attached)- if all buses had this equipment then automated monitoring would be very easy.

Attachments

• Google_LB_Tracking.png
    Google_LB_Tracking.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 21

Mwanesh

The Stagecoach AVL system automatically does a report when you run early .Next time when i see a friendly driver i will do a screen shot .

175mph

On Moderation
The Stagecoach AVL system automatically does a report when you run early .Next time when i see a friendly driver i will do a screen shot .
At the Scunthorpe depot, they must be turning a blind eye to those reports then. <(

robk23oxf

Never heard of the Stagecoach AVL system generating reports for early running. I do notice the system isn't completely accurate though (e.g. running two minutes late and the ticket machine showing as one minute early).

Mwanesh

It does tend to give leeway though.It does but management generally look at some at it in a favourable way.If you do it too many times you normally get a letter advising you to stick to timing points.

philthetube

Established Member

If you have that in writing then straight to the top with it. Letters to traffic commissioners, stagecoach head office, local and county councils, especially if the routh is supported, and ensure that all recipients are aware of who all other recipients are, to prevent attempts to sweep your complaing under the carpet.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
When I was a driver at Stagecoach Manchester, manglement once posted a notice saying that they couldn't/wouldn't use AVL data as evidence of early running, but that the system generates a weekly report of top 10 drivers for early running, that the same names consistently topped the lists, and that they could be used to identify patterns for further investigation

philthetube

Established Member
they would say this, and probably not use as evidence, however they would probably initiate other checks if the felt it was needed.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When I was a driver at Stagecoach Manchester, manglement once posted a notice saying that they couldn't/wouldn't use AVL data as evidence of early running, but that the system generates a weekly report of top 10 drivers for early running, that the same names consistently topped the lists, and that they could be used to identify patterns for further investigation

That probably makes sense as GPS isn't completely accurate and software can have bugs. But yes, it definitely should be used to flag up ANY early running and have it investigated and disciplined by sending plain-clothes inspectors out. Starting with the top 10 probably makes sense if they are always the same drivers, as those drivers clearly don't want their jobs.

Of course if they did their jobs properly in the first place there would be no need.

Status
Not open for further replies.