• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buses and the coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
That’s worrying. My thoughts are with him and his family.
Truly awful.
It might increase the pressure on bus companies to scrap cash fare payments and, in effect, fares themselves for the duration. With BJ's apparent interest in bus travel, a compensation scheme for the companies might be possible to add another few 000s to the payouts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I wonder if there would be scope, with significantly reduced service in London, for the big groups to be allowed to move some of their London fleets to the provinces temporarily to allow this to be done?
That'd be a huge logistical problem though, at a time when movement of people around the country is to be discouraged. Also, groups like First and Nat Ex have no London presence.

overthewater

Established Member
Stagecoach are making more cutbacks, however most services are staying the same,

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/servi...rticle?SituationId=ID-19/03/2020-18:27:17:391
Brief description of changes
- Sunday service on all service with some enhanced services
- Service 11 will run every 30 minutes between Kilmarnock and Ardrossan
- X76 replaced with X77 every hour between Ayr, Kilmarnock and Glasgow until further notice
- X16 temporarily won't operate from Ayr to Kilmarnock please use service 4 or X77 to Kilmarnock from Ayr

Temporary changes to bus services within West Scotland are being introduced by Stagecoach, following new Government advice around social contact and non-essential travel to help combat the Coronavirus (Covid-19).

A reduced timetable will operate across the region until further notice. The timetables have been carefully created to ensure that critical routes are maintained wherever possible.

Fiona Doherty, Managing Director for Stagecoach West Scotland said:

“Along with other bus operators and key sectors, we are working hard to support the national effort to tackle the current challenging situation.

"The safety of our customers and our employees is at the heart of everything we do. We also know that our bus services play a vital role in keeping the country running and ensuring key sector personnel get to work.

“Following the latest government advice, we have reviewed our timetables and made temporary changes which reflect the reduced level of travel. Our objective has been to focus resources on where we know they are needed most at this time.

“We are working hard to best maintain essential services, safeguard jobs and ensure the long-term sustainability of a sector which is central to our economy and communities.

“We will continue to monitor the position, liaise closely with government and other authorities, and respond as appropriate to what is a dynamic situation.”

Since the impact of Coronavirus (Covid-19) in the UK, Stagecoach has implemented additional hygiene measures to protect customers, frontline bus employees and office-based employees.

In addition to well- established and rigorous cleaning regimes, there has been more frequent cleaning of main customer touch-points on buses, such as hand poles and grab rails.

We understand that there are lots of concerns about the current serious situation. Our first priority is to protect the safety of our customers and our people.

Customers can stay up to date with all the latest news from Stagecoach on Twitter @StagecoachWScot

Stagecoach West Scotland has provided an update on further changes being made to its timetables in response to government advice on avoiding non-essential travel.

More information and new Timetables can be found via the link below.

Stagecoach North Scotland ( Bluebird and Highlands ) are also making further cutbacks : https://www.stagecoachbus.com/servi...rticle?SituationId=ID-19/03/2020-17:02:51:062

Dai Corner

Established Member
The BBC are reporting the bus driver with Coronavirus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/localnews/2640194-Plymouth/0
A transport workers’ union clams a 60-year-old Plymouth-based Stagecoach bus driver has been taken to hospital seriously ill with coronavirus.

The news emerged in a social media post by the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers.

The statement on Twitter said the driver was in intensive care on a ventilator. No information was available about his condition on Friday.

The post from the South Wales and South West branch of the union questioned whether bus companies were doing all they could to safeguard employees and travellers.

You are unable to view this content because you have disabled third party cookies. If you would like to view this content, you will need to amend your cookie settings. You can change you settings at any time.

View content: https://twitter.com/RMT_SW_SWales/status/1242849283403104260

Stagecoach South West replied on Twitter that it cared for the welfare of staff and was responding to the coronavirus situation with measures in partnership with the union.

It says its priority is protecting staff and customers and it is following Government and public health advice, has increased cleaning and is urging passengers to use contactless payments.

A company spokesperson said they could not discuss personal details about employees.

They said: “Our thoughts are with the family and loved ones at this difficult time.

“Like other individuals and organisations, we are strictly following public health advice on the right steps to take, including hand washing and additional rigorous hygiene measures on our vehicles and in our workplaces.”

The Tweet

RMT said:
·
25 Mar

Are bus companies doing all that they can 2 shield vulnerable employees?
@LeemartinRundl1
How come 60 yr old Plymouth bus driver is in intensive care on ventilator?
@w4wasp
Any of our vulnerable members sufferin a reaction to SARS-Cov-2 will b referred to a personal injury lawyer

We don't know whether he caught it at work, or passed it on while at work, of course.

Last edited:

Jonny

Established Member
The economic impact is proving to be significant in many areas as well:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/north-east-bus-network-days-17996809

North East bus network days away from collapse due to coronavirus impact, Government warned

In a briefing seen by ChronicleLive, North East transport leaders say they need more money to keep buses on the road after a huge drop in the amount of people using public transport

The North East bus network is on the brink of collapse due to the Covid-19 outbreak,it has been claimed.

With the country on lockdown and people told to avoid public transport if they can, transport companies' incomes have plummeted.

After North East transport leaders were issued with a stark financial briefing, ministers were warned the region's public transport network may not exist by the time the pandemic has passed.

In a document seen by ChronicleLive, it's claimed action is needed 'in the next few days' in order to prevent bus services from going under, potentially leaving key workers stranded.

It reads: "The collapse of bus patronage is a major financial challenge to bus operators who are evaluating their individual responses. Urgent decisions are required over the next few days in order to avoid loss of accessibility for key workers, as well as long-term major damage to the bus market."

Plans are already being put in place to provide some sort of service should a private bus operator go under.

Transport North East, which oversees transport for the region, has warned the Government it may need to set aside state aid rules to rescue struggling franchises.

Gateshead MP Ian Mearns has been leading calls for the Department for Transport to provide urgent help.

In a letter seen by ChronicleLive, he warned a public transport crisis would be 'yet another potential emergency in a still lengthening string of emergencies'.

The huge drop off in fares risks leaving local authorities exposed financially. In the most recent budget, North East local authorities paid private bus firms £53m to ensure things like concessionary bus travel for children and pensioners.

Councils are expected to be told by the DfT that they must maintain these payments at pre-pandemic levels going forward, according to the document.

But even with subsidies and 'major cost-cutting', the document warns, there will still be a large gap between income and costs.

Bus usage has fallen by 80% in recent days and services have already been slashed to as little as one bus every two hours in some rural areas.

Transport North East has called on the Government to provide urgent emergency funding and change laws to allow councils and Nexus to step in and run bus services should a private operator collapse.

Mr Mearns warned ministers about the impact of potential public transport woes in a letter: "As we progress with the stay at home where possible policy, it will still be vital for essential and emergency workers to be able to get to and from their places of work, as well as those without their own transport, getting to shops, pharmacies and medical appointments.

"If the network collapses public safety and the safety and welfare of the ill, frail and vulnerable will be severely compromised."

Transport North East chair and Gateshead Council leader Martin Gannon said: "We at the North East Joint Transport Committee are deeply concerned about the viability of the local bus system.

"Bus patronage has collapsed, creating a major financial challenge. We believe that urgent decisions are required from government, urgently, in order to avoid loss of accessibility for key workers, as well as long-term major damage to the bus services."

The Department for Transport have been asked for a comment. All North East bus operators have also been approached.

As previously reported, the Metro network is also facing financial problems after experiencing a similar drop off in usage.

According to the Transport North East document, Nexus has requested £10m to cover a funding shortfall between now and July and to clarify the status of the Metro Revenue Grant which was absent from the Chancellor's budget earlier this month.

A DfT spokeswoman said: “We have put in an initial package of support to protect the bus sector for years to come and help ensure that those who absolutely need to get to work can do so, including our emergency services, NHS and other frontline sectors.”

We shall see in the days and weeks ahead; a lot of busses seemed to be carting fresh air around even last year and before Coronavirus took off.

Is this really a surprise? Rear entry might be a help but there is now way that can be sorted now. Bus companies continue to accept cash, drivers health is not a matter for concern, that's how bus companies have been run for decades and will continue to be once this is over.

Some very naive views on the industry on this forum from people I suspect have never worked in the industry and have a very rose tinted glasses view of it.

Go to Arriva North East Facebook and they are telling people drivers have access to hand gel etc, I know people who work for them and this is not the case.

Andyh82

Established Member
From this weekend Go North East are temporarily closing their depots at Washington, Percy Main and Chester le Street, with services consolidating at other depots.

harz99

In Derby, Arriva's service cuts from Monday 23rd March were pretty drastic....

Essentially no buses before 7AM and none after 7PM.

And a timetable which at best resembles a Sunday service, with some routes having up to a two hour gap in the middle of the day.

However, they've now issued an update, saying following customer feedback, a number of early morning services have been reinstated from Tuesday 24th.

Full details here: https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/coronavirus ... -midlands/

(You'll need to select Derby from the available depots).

Arriva North East in the Darlington/Bishop Auckland areas had also gone to Saturday start of service times, now from Monday coming they have reinstated an early journey on routes 1/5 which will greatly assist local key workers. The rest of the day is at most 2 or 3 pax from what i've seen, with many services being fresh air expresses.

Hophead

Established Member
Xelabus of Eastleigh are stopping all of their remaining services from today.

Established Member
Arriva North East in the Darlington/Bishop Auckland areas had also gone to Saturday start of service times, now from Monday coming they have reinstated an early journey on routes 1/5 which will greatly assist local key workers. The rest of the day is at most 2 or 3 pax from what i've seen, with many services being fresh air expresses.
I think this is the case across most of the country. Out of the few buses that I have seen this week only one had passengers on which was on Monday evening and that was a grand total of 3.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There have been reports on another forum that a driver working for Sullivan's on TfL contracted work has died from the virus.

PG

Established Member
There have been reports on another forum that a driver working for Sullivan's on TfL contracted work has died from the virus.
My sincere condolences to the family and colleagues of the driver and also thoughts to the Plymouth driver, family and colleagues.

Sadly I fear that more drivers are likely to fall ill, I just hope those that do do not pay the ultimate price for doing their job :frown:

dvboy

Established Member
NX West Midlands reducing services further from Monday. My usual route has dropped from 10 mins to 20 and will be 30 mins next week. There are posters inside asking people to sit 2m apart if possible and use the upper deck. Thankfully the drivers don't have to handle cash or tickets as they operate an exact fare policy and cash fares are put into a box and the passenger is expected to take their ticket from a seperate machine.

Dai Corner

Established Member
The Welsh Government is setting up a 'hardship fund' for bus operators.

https://gov.wales/nhs-staff-get-free-travel-part-69m-hardship-fund-deal-public-transport

Welsh Government said:
NHS staff will receive free travel on buses throughout Wales in return for hardship funding from the Welsh Government over the next three months, with free travel already available on Transport for Wales trains

Transport for Wales will receive additional funding support and a hardship fund has been set up to help bus companies as passenger numbers have fallen by up to 90% as passengers follow the stay-at-home rules in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The combined support is worth up to £69m.

Minister for Economy, Transport and North Wales Ken Skates said:

Demand for public transport has reduced significantly as people are following the new rules to stay at home to save lives and protect our NHS.

Our rail franchise provider, bus companies and community transport operators – many of which are small businesses and charities – are facing significant financial challenges.

This support will give public transport operators the initial funding they need to continue to deliver services, pay employees and sub-contractors, while we work with them to develop a comprehensive package of measures to secure an efficient, sustainable, and robust bus network.

The bus hardship fund will be paid monthly up-front for up to three months and will temporarily replace existing grant funding provided through the bus services support grant, mandatory concessionary fares and MyTravelPass in the normal course of business.

In return for financial support from the Welsh Government, bus companies will need to commit to continue to provide a timetabled service and all NHS staff will receive free travel. Transport for Wales is already offering free travel for NHS staff on its services.

The Minister has also confirmed that, while the stay-at-home rules are in place, free weekend travel on the Traws Cymru network has been suspended and the Cardiff to Anglesey Public Service Obligation (PSO) air service will also be suspended for three months.

Mr Skates added:

We are committed to creating a sustainable integrated public transport network across Wales.

But our priority at the moment is to protect the public, people working on public transport and our NHS. We must act now to ensure when the pandemic is over, we will have a bus and rail network to allow us to achieve this ambition.

Bantamzen

Established Member
FWIW, I am increasingly of the view that the Government should step in and make public transport all free of charge but only for those who can prove genuine need to use it e.g. key workers or if there is no supermarket near enough to you AND you are not a car owner (in this unusual situation if you own a car you really SHOULD use it).

Whilst I agree something needs to be done to protect transport staff, they are really in the same boat as store workers were cash is still handled. At the very least they should be issued with protective gloves (something stores round here are doing). However I'm not sure how your idea of proving need would work? As a someone who doesn't own a car, how would I go about proving it?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Whilst I agree something needs to be done to protect transport staff, they are really in the same boat as store workers were cash is still handled. At the very least they should be issued with protective gloves (something stores round here are doing). However I'm not sure how your idea of proving need would work? As a someone who doesn't own a car, how would I go about proving it?

It'd probably need to be done in the way Police are doing it already, i.e. asking people a few questions about their need.

alex397

Established Member
Independent operator Trustybus (part of Galleon Travel) in Essex have set up a petition to help save them, asking for support from local and national government. They operate a mix of commercial and Essex/Hertfordshire council contracts.

I really hope bus operators get the support they need, especially independent operators. I'm starting to wonder how many bus companies are actually going to manage to survive this.

E-Rail

Sadly, a 55 year old bus driver with First Bristol has lost his life today to Covid-19 after contracting the virus 2 weeks ago.

philthetube

Established Member
Protective gloves are at best zero benefit and at worst negative benefit

Unless you have an open wound you do not contract coronavirus through the hands, you get it from touching your face, if your hands have touched something infected then regardless of gloves you could infect yourself if you touch your face.

The additional issue with gloves is that if, when removing them you can infect yourself while doing so and think you are ok, so you still need to wash your hands immediately after removal.

There is an exeption if you have any open wounds or a condition such as eczema.

Bantamzen

Established Member
It'd probably need to be done in the way Police are doing it already, i.e. asking people a few questions about their need.

This isn't going to work is it? Buses are already scaling back to Sunday / Skeleton services for key workers, having a mini-interrogation of every single passenger is going to lead to long delays, exactly what you don't want when getting essential passengers to and from their places of employment.

Protective gloves are at best zero benefit and at worst negative benefit

Unless you have an open wound you do not contract coronavirus through the hands, you get it from touching your face, if your hands have touched something infected then regardless of gloves you could infect yourself if you touch your face.

The additional issue with gloves is that if, when removing them you can infect yourself while doing so and think you are ok, so you still need to wash your hands immediately after removal.

There is an exeption if you have any open wounds or a condition such as eczema.

Well then I don't know what the answer is, some people still choose / need to use cash. You either subsidise all services so that they are free, or you exclude those people from travelling, which would not be good because those people might rely on public transport.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Well then I don't know what the answer is, some people still choose / need to use cash. You either subsidise all services so that they are free, or you exclude those people from travelling, which would not be good because those people might rely on public transport.

In the present circumstances only "need" should be accommodated, not "choose". If you own a card and there is adequate balance on your account, use it. It's not, as the phrase goes, about you.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And I do, but what about those without a contactless card?

Those are people who "need" to pay cash, though at the moment they might be well advised to have someone order a prepaid card online and have it topped up at a local shop still taking cash.

It's the "want" that I have no truck with at the moment. I have £70 cash in my wallet, I typically draw that out once a month for places not taking card (and that usually lasts the month), and don't really have scope to spend it. It can be spent once this is over. If I'd taken my balance down to zero doing that I would "need" to spend it.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Are there really that many people without them?

There are certainly people who use cash on buses, I couldn't say if they have any contactless cards on them although there will likely be some.

Those are people who "need" to pay cash, though at the moment they might be well advised to have someone order a prepaid card online and have it topped up at a local shop still taking cash.

It's the "want" that I have no truck with at the moment. I have £70 cash in my wallet, I typically draw that out once a month for places not taking card (and that usually lasts the month), and don't really have scope to spend it. It can be spent once this is over. If I'd taken my balance down to zero doing that I would "need" to spend it.

So OK, how would you go about stopping people wanting to use cash when they may have contactless cards? Unfortunately until we have a fully cashless society, which we are still very far from, then even in exceptional situations like this some people on the front line will have to handle cash. Certainly at the stores I've been to over the last 7 days, every single one has accepted it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So OK, how would you go about stopping people wanting to use cash when they may have contactless cards?

You clearly can't, but in this situation the principle is that we are asking people, when choosing a course of action, to choose the one that reduces the risk of transmission without being selfish or shouting about their rights.

alex397

Established Member
Sadly, a 55 year old bus driver with First Bristol has lost his life today to Covid-19 after contracting the virus 2 weeks ago.

Very sad to hear. The detailed comment by MD James Freeman was really moving I think.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/first-bus-driver-coronavirus-dies-3997495

A Bristol-based First Bus driver has died with coronavirus.

Martin Egan died on Saturday, March 28 after falling ill with Covid-19 two weeks ago.

First West of England's managing director James Freeman said: “Our deepest sympathies and condolences go out to his family and friends.
“Martin was a hugely respected member of our team and I know this will be devastating news for his colleagues and customers that got to know him over the years.
“Martin last drove a bus more than two weeks ago, before he was taken ill. We have identified those that we understand had come into recent contact with him, including supervisors and drivers, and they have since been in self isolation."

Mr Freeman described Mr Egan as a "tremendously loyal employee and a great character", who worked for the business for 40 years.
"He started as a driver at our Muller Road depot in 1980 and then moved to our Lawrence Hill operation later in his career," Mr Freeman added.

“Personally, I will always remember his huge smile when we recently launched our new gas buses in Bristol. His presence around the depot will be greatly missed.”

Public Health England has been approached for further information.

The news comes after yesterday's figures for Bristol revealed there had been 65 positive tests in the city.

In South Gloucestershire, the latest update confirmed 49 cases, with 31 in North Somerset and 32 in Bath & North-East Somerset.

Mr Egan is the third person known to have died in the Bristol area having tested positive for the virus.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Perth and Kinross Council have just announced that Docherty's, Sweeneys, Buses, Elizabeth Yule and Burnbrae Garage have stopped all services for a period of two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.