• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying an All Line Rover - clerk can't find it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

philjo

Established Member
Has the "Lakes Day Ranger" product been discontinued?
That ticket normally includes a boat trip on Windermere and discount on the Ullswater steamers. Both boat services are Currently requiring compulsory reservatiIons in advance on specific sailings. The Winndermere boats are also operating as 60 Minute circular cruises from Ambleside, Bowness, or Lakeside returning To the boarding point. So it is not currently possible so use the boat for example to get from Ambleside to Bowness or Lakeside. It looks like they are not accepting other passes normally valid at the moment so I suspect the Day ranger would not be valid on the boats at the moment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not actually used the Lakes Day Ranger for a trip on the boats previously. Bit of a faff working it into the day's itinerary.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In my experience the ALR AM peak restrictions were not known about/enforced so it makes little difference!

Similarly I used East Midlands Flexi Rovers very regularly in my Loughborough commuting days and was never challenged for showing it at the barriers at St Pancras or on fast London - Leicester services without any supporting tickets!

It's also been pointed out to me that the restriction on NRE has been updated to the correct TOC names, so BRFares is probably just out of date as it sometimes is. So most likely it's not an actual loophole anyway.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
It's also been pointed out to me that the restriction on NRE has been updated to the correct TOC names, so BRFares is probably just out of date as it sometimes is. So most likely it's not an actual loophole anyway.
I still see the old names when I go to nre.co.uk/AL.

RJ

Established Member
Remember the RDG and people who feed back to them do read this forum and anything identified as ambiguous or resembling a loophole will be rectified as soon as reasonably practicable!

Isn't that the nub of the problem? Why do you need multiple systems? Is it for resilience in case one supplier goes bust? Can a national organisation (is it RDG?) devise a new system which all TOCs could buy into over the next few years, i.e. when a TOC's system needs replacing, they opt in to the national system.

Maybe, but is it in anyone's interest for there to be a monopoly on this sort of thing? That may go hand in hand with less efficiency, more downtime and higher expense.

robbeech

Established Member
Remember the RDG and people who feed back to them do read this forum and anything identified as ambiguous or resembling a loophole will be rectified as soon as reasonably practicable!

Anything in the passenger’s favour. Anything unreasonable that is there In the railway’s favour tends to hang around a bit longer.

MotCO

Established Member

Maybe, but is it in anyone's interest for there to be a monopoly on this sort of thing? That may go hand in hand with less efficiency, more downtime and higher expense.

I recognise there is a trade-off. However, I can't believe Tesco's or Amazon use multiple systems from different providers for similar cashtill software, so why should the railways.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I recognise there is a trade-off. However, I can't believe Tesco's or Amazon use multiple systems from different providers for similar cashtill software, so why should the railways.

You'd be amazed, systems in large retailers are often not a slick as you might think.

RJ

Established Member
You'd be amazed, systems in large retailers are often not a slick as you might think.

Indeed - and I make it my business to learn about them where there's an opportunity to get some value!

RJ

Established Member
Anything in the passenger’s favour. Anything unreasonable that is there In the railway’s favour tends to hang around a bit longer.

Like any business the railways don't want "sharp" customers getting the better of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.