• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying Cheshire Day Ranger at Glasgow Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Got a tight connection tomorrow , has anyone had experience of buying English day rangers at Glasgow Central?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You’ve got two opportunities at Glasgow Central. The Avanti office and the Scotrail one. I think there’s also a Scotrail ticket office by the low level platforms as well, if I remember correctly.

If these fail then the guard on the train should be able to sell it to you.

boyaloud

Scotrail office at low level is woeful, imo so try and avoid! They seem to think they can't sell any tickets travelling to anywhere not within Scotland.

Established Member
Scotrail office at low level is woeful, imo so try and avoid! They seem to think they can't sell any tickets travelling to anywhere not within Scotland.
Which is correct. The ScotRail ticket offices at Glasgow Central only sell tickets to Scottish destinations so you need to go to the Avanti Travel centre.

D.K.TAYLOR

Should be ok at the Avanti desk the code is CHESHIRE DAY RGR /CED/1351 CHESHIRE DAY RGR is they ask sometimes they can't be bothered searching but the code will speed things up

_toommm_

Established Member
Doesnt Avanti now only do the bog roll tickets? Might be a pain for you to have to carry that around though as it won’t easily fit in and be easily presentable in a ticket wallet

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Doesnt Avanti now only do the bog roll tickets? Might be a pain for you to have to carry that around though as it won’t easily fit in and be easily presentable in a ticket wallet
Maybe there will be a nationwide shortage of bog rolls!

route101

Established Member

I got it as a normal ticket .

route101

Established Member
Should be ok at the Avanti desk the code is CHESHIRE DAY RGR /CED/1351 CHESHIRE DAY RGR is they ask sometimes they can't be bothered searching but the code will speed things up

I got it with no problems and on proper ticket stock too. Was worth it as only had a few mins at Liverpool Lime St to catch next train

Established Member

No they have both systems in all Avanti ticket offices , credit card stock is primarily reserved for London travelcards (can't remember what else?) but i've had the odd standard train ticket and plusbus' on it, one very recently at Manchester Piccadilly.

route101

Established Member
Didnt know Glasgow Central , had the receipt style tickets. When ive bought rangers at Preston the QR code never works . The Cheshire Day ranger worked in the barriers at Victoria , often even in normal stock , dont always work.

_toommm_

Established Member
Didnt know Glasgow Central , had the receipt style tickets. When ive bought rangers at Preston the QR code never works . The Cheshire Day ranger worked in the barriers at Victoria , often even in normal stock , dont always work.

As far as I know all Avanti offices have the bog-roll tickets. They do still have the ability to print the CCST tickets though as they still issue railcards/GM Countycards on CCST special stock etc.

plugwash

Established Member
As far as I know all Avanti offices have the bog-roll tickets. They do still have the ability to print the CCST tickets though as they still issue railcards/GM Countycards on CCST special stock etc.
and of course tickets valid via london, which given aventi's route map I suspect they sell quite a few of.

Status
Not open for further replies.