• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
CAF are responsible for maintenance, and will be taking over the depots at Chester and Machynlleth.

That's very interesting, I didn't know that.
So Alstom are leaving Chester, with Alstom/TfW staff transferring to CAF?
Do we know how long the contract is - presumably to cover the original W&B 15-year franchise term?
Chester is well placed to have a role with Northern's 195 fleet too, even if only for spares.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
That's very interesting, I didn't know that.
So Alstom are leaving Chester, with Alstom/TfW staff transferring to CAF?
Do we know how long the contract is - presumably to cover the original W&B 15-year franchise term?
Chester is well placed to have a role with Northern's 195 fleet too, even if only for spares.
I've no idea of the particulars to be honest - just that for the first time in the UK CAF are taking on the maintenance of the sets they build. Staff are getting TUPEd or going on secondment to CAF depending on the circumstances.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I don't think I need to ride on one to know that:
1. Fainsa Sophias are rubbish
2. They are too short/too few in number
3. CAF has a build and ride quality problem (from riding 195s)
Neither do we need to ride on them to know there are less seats than a 158, less legroom than a 175 and less toilets and table bays than either.

Or as I've already said, it means using the ERTMS fitted 2 car units in multiple, during those rare periods (ie high summer) when the Cambrian needs that kind of capacity. People are assuming that similar numbers of ERTMS fitted units are required to the amount of 158s available now, when we don't actually know how many units the Cambrian will get as we don't know the full details of the timetable yet. I see no reason for ERTMS fitted units to end up in South Wales or Holyhead as they do now - so I see no reason to worry about the Cambrian.
Aren't there only three 158 diagrams in south Wales and three fewer ETCS-fitted 197s on order than there are TfW 158s? Other routes which may see reduced capacity are Holyhead-Cardiff and Milford Haven-Swansea where I'm assuming units will not run in multiple. Admittedly those routes might be ok with reduced capacity.

Contrary to popular belief, the people who actually make these decisions aren't complete idiots.
Even clever people make idiotic decisions from time to time. In the case of the 197s, a very idiotic decision has been made largely as a result of many previous idiotic decisions made by others over many years (the previous idiotic decisions being all the occasions when proposals to electrify Britain's railways were not given the go ahead so now we are left with a high probability of having a large number of diesel-only passenger trains still running past the net-zero carbon deadline).

Established Member
(Bangs head against wall)

1: in your opinion

2: 180 vehicles replacing 122 (all the 158s, 175s and 2 150s (from Blaneau and Crewe - Chester). How much more units do you want?

3: The 195 design was finished several years ago. We have no way of knowing if the same faults will re-occur on the 197s. Yes it's a concern I'll admit, but it's way too early to declare that these units are going to be awful.

You should see his "review" of the Class 195s, which puts Jeremy Clarkson's regular criticisms of the Vauxhall Vectra to shame. High standards and nitpicking are massive understatements.

I, like many others I'm sure, will reserve my judgement on the 197s until I've actually travelled on them.

craigybagel

Established Member
Aren't there only three 158 diagrams in south Wales and three fewer ETCS-fitted 197s on order than there are TfW 158s? Other routes which may see reduced capacity are Holyhead-Cardiff and Milford Haven-Swansea where I'm assuming units will not run in multiple. Admittedly those routes might be ok with reduced capacity.
Correct about the 3 sets in South Wales, but there's also the sets you can free up if you don't need to send ERTMS fitted sets to Holyhead every 2 hours.
Almost all of the Cardiff - Holyhead route is seeing a frequency increase, and in any case I'd be very surprised if 2 car sets are routinely allocated solo to that particular run. Milford - Swansea may see a reduction in capacity but I'm not aware of the current services struggling for space (and the other services in South West Wales are seeing an increase in capacity through the arrival of the 170s).
Again, it's 180 cars replacing 122. Really hard to see much capacity cuts happening there.

Even clever people make idiotic decisions from time to time. In the case of the 197s, a very idiotic decision has been made largely as a result of many previous idiotic decisions made by others over many years (the previous idiotic decisions being all the occasions when proposals to electrify Britain's railways were not given the go ahead so now we are left with a high probability of having a large number of diesel-only passenger trains still running past the net-zero carbon deadline).
To be fair, some people would say condemning an entire fleet and the people who ordered it as idiotic before that fleet has even entered service is pretty idiotic in itself - as are my content attempts at rebuttal when I know they're only falling on deaf ears. Hopefully though I can persuade other people to at least give these trains a chance before outright condemning them.
You should see his "review" of the Class 195s, which puts Jeremy Clarkson's regular criticisms of the Vauxhall Vectra to shame. High standards and nitpicking are massive understatements.

I, like many others I'm sure, will reserve my judgement on the 197s until I've actually travelled on them.
Indeed. Plus a lot of the issues there seemed like teething issues - hopefully this will have been noticed and they won't be repeated on the 197s. I'm quite excited about them too and I'll be spending a lot more time on them then and of the negative posters here!

507 001

Established Member
Correct about the 3 sets in South Wales, but there's also the sets you can free up if you don't need to send ERTMS fitted sets to Holyhead every 2 hours.
Almost all of the Cardiff - Holyhead route is seeing a frequency increase, and in any case I'd be very surprised if 2 car sets are routinely allocated solo to that particular run. Milford - Swansea may see a reduction in capacity but I'm not aware of the current services struggling for space (and the other services in South West Wales are seeing an increase in capacity through the arrival of the 170s).
Again, it's 180 cars replacing 122. Really hard to see much capacity cuts happening there.

To be fair, some people would say condemning an entire fleet and the people who ordered it as idiotic before that fleet has even entered service is pretty idiotic in itself - as are my content attempts at rebuttal which seem to be falling on deaf ears.

Indeed. Plus a lot of the issues there seemed like teething issues - hopefully this will have been noticed and they won't be repeated on the 197s. I'm quite excited about them too and I'll be spending a lot more time on them then and of the negative posters here!

To be fair though, he’s not wrong. The Mk5s are also of poor quality, how long has it taken to get those into service?

craigybagel

Established Member
To be fair though, he’s right. The Mk5s are also of poor quality.
Some different fleets to the 197s arrived with some major teething issues. That does not mean that the same fate will befall the 197s, and even if it does it doesn't mean that they can't be fixed in the future.

It seems almost hilarious to me that these same people who are convinced the 197s are going to be a disaster are the same people extolling the virtues of the likes of the 158s, 170s and 175s, seemingly forgetting that all 3 of those fleets also had a pretty disastrous entry into service!

Were the people who ordered those units idiots as well? And should we have never ordered other fleets afterwards from the builders of those problematic units?

Established Member

Exactly. There isn't a single class of locomotive or multiple unit on the network which has been perfect straight out of the box. It's frankly ridiculous that after years of the Northern and Wales & Borders franchises not getting any new rolling stock, some people still see the need to complain.

To be fair though, he’s right. The Mk5s are also of poor quality.

Apart from the slightly rough ride (which I'll admit isn't ideal), I really don't think "poor quality" is a term I'd use describe the Nova 3 sets.

507 001

Established Member
T
Some different fleets to the 197s arrived with some major teething issues. That does not mean that the same fate will befall the 197s, and even if it does it doesn't mean that they can't be fixed in the future.

It seems almost hilarious to me that these same people who are convinced the 197s are going to be a disaster are the same people extolling the virtues of the likes of the 158s, 170s and 175s, seemingly forgetting that all 3 of those fleets also had a pretty disastrous entry into service!

Were the people who ordered those units idiots as well? And should we have never ordered other fleets afterwards from the builders of those problematic units?

I get what you’re saying, but even you have to admit that CAF’s track record isn’t a good one. Even back to the 332s and 333s, both have now had structural issues that have caused them to be grounded.

And To be fair, in the case of Alstom, we didn’t order from them again, after the various debacles with the Juniper, Coradia and Adelante fleets.

Apart from the slightly rough ride (which I'll admit isn't ideal), I really don't think "poor quality" is a term I'd use describe the Nova 3 sets.

I suspect TPE might disagree with you on that one.

507 001

Established Member
Fair enough. What do Caledonian Sleeper think of their Mark 5s?

No idea, but the technical issues with those and the resulting service disruptions have been well documented on here.

There is a reason why they are known as ‘Cheap As F***’ amongst staff.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Why shouldn't I have high standards, when units like the 350/1s meet those standards?

Established Member
No idea, but the technical issues with those and the resulting service disruptions have been well documented on here.

There is a reason why they are known as ‘Cheap As F***’ amongst staff.

Oh I get CAF stuff isn't perfect, my issue is people judging it before it's even entered service.

507 001

Established Member
Oh I get CAF stuff isn't perfect, my issue is people judging it before it's even entered service.

But that’s the point, based on previous experience, why would people expect CAF to make a sudden, miraculous change? Especially when bits are falling off the 195s and 331s that these are more or less identical to?

Not perfect is an understatement to be honest. Elsewhere they’re being compared to Ansaldo Breda, a little unfair perhaps, but it shows how highly thought of this company is.

Last edited:

Established Member
Why shouldn't I have high standards, when units like the 350/1s meet those standards?

I really don't understand why you feel the need to compare every single class of train on the network to those in your local area. Millions of us don't have the luxury of living in areas with large scale electrification and new/reasonably new, good quality regional/intercity electric trains. It says a lot when the vast majority of passengers up here in the North West are happy that the 323s, which are almost 30 years old, are set to become the mainstay EMU type in the area!

I also don't think comparing any class of DMU to a 350/1 is an even remotely fair comparison.

But that’s the point, based on previous experience, why would people expect CAF to make a sudden, miraculous change? Especially when bits are falling off the 195s and 331s that these are more or less identical to?

Not perfect is an understatement to be honest. Elsewhere they’re being compared to Ansaldo Breda, a little unfair perhaps, but it shows how highly thought of this company is.

Your point is a fair one, but personally I'd rather give these (and the 196s) a chance before casting an opinion.

If others don't want to do the same then that's their decision. I won't lose any sleep over it.

craigybagel

Established Member
I get what you’re saying, but even you have to admit that CAF’s track record isn’t a good one. Even back to the 332s and 333s, both have now had structural issues that have caused them to be grounded.

And To be fair, in the case of Alstom, we didn’t order from them again, after the various debacles with the Juniper, Coradia and Adelante fleets.
I'll admit their recent efforts haven't had a great start it's true, and I'd be lying if I said that didn't worry me. But I've also traveled many thousands of miles on CAF built fleets in Ireland and Spain where they've had notably few issues so I don't think they're incapable of building good trains.

I also note that the former Ansaldo Breda factory in which you alluded to in another post, an institution I think we'd both argue has a deservedly terrible reputation, is busy working away building class 80x units for the UK. If they can be redeemed surely anyone can!

On Moderation
Neither do we need to ride on them to know there are less seats than a 158, less legroom than a 175 and less toilets and table bays than either.
You can't help but feel TfW have procured the fleets the wrong way round and that a batch of FLIRTs of similar spec to the Greater Anglia ones would have been a genuine improvement for the 158/175 type services, with the CAF stuff used on more local services in South Wales. Still, at least there's more Mark 4s to come in, which will uplift capacity and quality.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Fair point about the frequency increase along most of the Cardiff-Holyhead route, I overlooked that in my last past. On the Holyhead-Cardiff service itself, we know about the mark 4 sets which have 2.5 coaches of standard class and I wouldn't be surprised if the other services on the route are to be formed of a 3-car first class fitted 197 which is less capacity than a 175/1 due to the first class. But yes we don't know for sure that this is what is planned and yes the new services might take enough pressure off for this not to be a problem.

More carriages in total yes, but some of these are accounted for by the new Liverpool services (frequency enhancement) so there is little left for increasing train lengths other than the annouced 5-cars on Swansea-Manchester. I'm not sure how many seats there are on a TfW 158, but I believe it is in the region of 134 compared to under 120 for a 2-car 197. They probably aren't idiots so wouldn't have ordered so many 2-car units if there weren't planned to run alone in fairly large numbers for part of a journey.

To be fair, some people would say condemning an entire fleet and the people who ordered it as idiotic before that fleet has even entered service is pretty idiotic in itself - as are my content attempts at rebuttal when I know they're only falling on deaf ears. Hopefully though I can persuade other people to at least give these trains a chance before outright condemning them.
I wasn't condemning the people who ordered them as idiotic - here's the relevant passage again:
I often hear it said that 'time is running out' in relation to climate change. After watching 'Climate Change: Ade on the Frontline' the other day I came to a different conclusion; in some respects time has already run out. That we are building more DMUs is idiotic, even though the people that made the decision are probably not idiots.

Last edited:

On Moderation
On the Holyhead-Cardiff service itself, we know about the mark 4 sets which have 2.5 coaches of standard class
TfW have taken Mark 4 TODs to supplement the fleet so they have the capacity to expand them to 3.5 standard class (formed TOE-TO-TOD-SV-POD-DVT).

Energy

Established Member
You can't help but feel TfW have procured the fleets the wrong way round and that a batch of FLIRTs of similar spec to the Greater Anglia ones would have been a genuine improvement for the 158/175 type services, with the CAF stuff used on more local services in South Wales. Still, at least there's more Mark 4s to come in, which will uplift capacity and quality.
a) Far less FLIRTs than Civitys.
b) A gangwayed FLIRT would require significant redesign of the cab. This would be expensive, TfW aren't exactly rolling in cash.
c) The no-step access is more useful for metro services in reducing time spent at stations. Extra time spent at stations is less of a problem for services with more time between stations.
d) Cost. FLIRTs are expensive, the SW Metro is going to be far more profitable than the highly subsidised routes Civitys will run on.
e) FLIRTs have a much shorter fuel range.

On Moderation
b) A gangwayed FLIRT would require significant redesign of the cab. This would be expensive, TfW aren't exactly rolling in cash.
If they're not rolling in cash, why have gangways at all, and why replace the entire fleet - could have kept 158s and/or 175s if they're that skint.
c) The no-step access is more useful for metro services in reducing time spent at stations. Extra time spent at stations is less of a problem for services with more time between stations.
No step access is useful everywhere - it should be the aim.
d) Cost. FLIRTs are expensive, the SW Metro is going to be far more profitable than the highly subsidised routes Civitys will run on.
Ah, so Civitys are cheap then... Ultimately, you get what you pay for.
Fair point. It will be interesting to see what the range of the diesel+battery versions is.

craigybagel

Established Member
Fair point about the frequency increase along most of the Cardiff-Holyhead route, I overlooked that in my last past. On the Holyhead-Cardiff service itself, we know about the mark 4 sets which have 2.5 coaches of standard class and I wouldn't be surprised if the other services on the route are to be formed of a 3-car first class fitted 197 which is less capacity than a 175/1 due to the first class. But yes we don't know for sure that this is what is planned and yes the new services might take enough pressure off for this not to be a problem.
Again we don't know the full details until we see the final timetable
More carriages in total yes, but some of these are accounted for by the new Liverpool services (frequency enhancement) so there is little left for increasing train lengths other than the annouced 5-cars on Swansea-Manchester. I'm not sure how many seats there are on a TfW 158, but I believe it is in the region of 134 compared to under 120 for a 2-car 197. They probably aren't idiots so wouldn't have ordered so many 2-car units if there weren't planned to run alone in fairly large numbers for part of a journey.
Bear in mind they're already dealing with 4 different subfleets of units. Ordering so many 2 cars, even if they're planned to work in multiple most of the time gives them a lot more flexibility. Again though, we don't know the full timetable details yet.
I wasn't condemning the people who ordered them as idiotic - here's the relevant passage again:
I often hear it said that 'time is running out' in relation to climate change. After watching 'Climate Change: Ade on the Frontline' the other day I came to a different conclusion; in some respects time has already run out. That we are building more DMUs is idiotic, even though the people that made the decision are probably not idiots.
Fair enough, I'll change my question then. Was the decision to order 158s, 170s and 175s idiotic?
TfW have taken Mark 4 TODs to supplement the fleet so they have the capacity to expand them to 3.5 standard class (formed TOE-TO-TOD-SV-POD-DVT).
For what it's worth, the current 4 car formation actually sees 1st class in the middle. It's TOE - SV - POD - TO - DVT at present.

Caaardiff

The repetitiveness of this forum is making it difficult to keep up but to pick up on a few things that's been discussed....

Capacity - There are currently only 16 3-car 175's in the fleet. There will be 26 3-c 197s. So some workings that are currently 2 car will likely be upgraded to 3 car. In fact the 26 3-car 197's almost completely replace the whole 2 & 3 car fleet of 27 175's. Secondly the proposed 5-car Swansea - Manchester services will likely take over the 3 car diagrams. And lastly, rather than looking at the capacity of each specific service, especially on the Marches route, people need to look at the overall daily capacity. With 2 hourly Cardiff - Liverpool being added there will likely be an overall increase in capacity even if the current formations on Manchester & Holyhead services are kept. With more options of services for people to choose from, this will spread out the demand.

ERTM's - It is likely that more than the original amount of 197's will now be fitted with ERTM's.

Cambrian capacity - If 4 cars can't work the coast, then i'm not entirely sure 3-cars can. It would be interesting to find out the exact reason why 4-cars can't and if 3 cars would be the same restriction. It would be good to see if extra services can be fitted in throughout the day, again to spread out the demand.

Capacity by type -
158 - 134 seats 0 tip up (Total 134) / 59 standing room
175-2 car - 118 seats 16 tip up (Total 134) / 58 standing room
175-3 car - 186 seats 20 tip up (Total 206) / 91 standing room

197-2 car - 116 seats 5 tip up (Total 121) / 79 standing room
197-3 car standard - 186 seats 8 tip up (Total 194) / 118 standing room
197-3 car with First - 158 standard 16 First 8 tip up (Total 182) / 120 standing room

So an overall drop in seating capacity of 12/13 seats by each type but more standing capacity, but likely an increase in capacity on those workings with First that will likely be 5 car for most if not all of the journey.

craigybagel

Established Member

Don't forget the Welsh angle as well - the large order helped justify CAF opening a factory in Newport. It's hard to see that happening without the big order

If they're not rolling in cash, why have gangways at all, and why replace the entire fleet - could have kept 158s and/or 175s if they're that skint.
A: A large uniform fleet with gangways is necessary for the massive timetable improvements planned.
B: You get much more efficiencies through training and maintenance with a uniform fleet
C: It's likely there was a discount for buying in bulk
D: The existing units are going to need replacing sooner rather then later, especially the 158s. Doing it now is much cheaper in the long run then kicking the can for a few more years

Energy

Established Member
The 197s have the cab developed for the 196. What I meant was its hard to justify the extra expense of FLIRTs and a new cab for FLIRTs for already heavily subsidised services compared to Civitys.
No step access is useful everywhere - it should be the aim.
It should be but its more useful for closer stops, on services with less frequent stops it is easier to make up time lost, and there are normally less services so there is a smaller knock on other services, if any.
Ah, so Civitys are cheap then... Ultimately, you get what you pay for.
They are comparatively. You get what you pay for but its difficult to spend so much on heavily subsidised services when another product is assembled in Wales and cheaper.
Fair point. It will be interesting to see what the range of the diesel+battery versions is.
Battery will be a slight increase due to conserving the energy lost to breaking, this will be more noticable on stopping services.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I also don't think comparing any class of DMU to a 350/1 is an even remotely fair comparison.

Why? DMUs and EMUs differ under the solebar. No reason for them to differ above it per-se, bar a bit of engine noise. Also the Class 185 (as others have mentioned) offers a near-identical passenger experience. I bet most people didn't, when TPE was running 350s and 185s, notice that they were substantially different bar the extra vehicle.

Comparing a 185 to a 350, or any other Desiro unit, would be like comparing Branston baked beans to the Heinz equivalent. They're pretty much the same.

So why shouldn't we use the Desiro series as an example of the sort of build quality and passenger environment we deserve to expect?

Established Member
Why? DMUs and EMUs differ under the solebar. No reason for them to differ above it per-se, bar a bit of engine noise. Also the Class 185 (as others have mentioned) offers a near-identical passenger experience. I bet most people didn't, when TPE was running 350s and 185s, notice that they were substantially different bar the extra vehicle.

Apart from the 350/4s have gangways, a higher rate of acceleration, are quieter and faster than the 185s...

They're decent, but Siemens units really aren't as good as you like to think they are.

So why shouldn't we use the Desiro series as an example of the sort of build quality and passenger environment we deserve to expect?

I really don't think you understand the fact that some areas of the network make a lot less money than others, and are unable to justify the expense of ordering the Rolls Royce standard of rolling stock which you very clearly take for granted. As much as I'd very much like Northern to have a fleet of brand new, shiny Stadler EMUs, I'm happy to accept refurbished 323s if it means getting rid of the 319s, which really are dreadful.

Personally, I'm quite happy with 101 "cheap" new trains, because I'd bet my house that if Stadler was chosen, we'd have got much less.