• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

craigybagel

Established Member
Believe one was on it yesterday too. It should now happen (crew knowledge permitting) more and more frequently on the shuttle now they're cleared. Helps keep a lot of depots 197 competent on that route.

Yesterday was the first full day of it, although I heard they could have started as early as last Monday crew permitting. Hopefully we'll see them slowly expand to the Manchester services now.
It's going to be a big challenge getting them on the Crewe - Chester shuttle on weekdays; it uses several different Crewe drivers at various times throughout the day, and also a Shrewsbury driver in the morning. Unless the stars align so that all the drivers involve sign 197s (which is statistically very unlikely at the moment) or you happen to have spare drivers on hand who do sign them to cover the gaps, you're going to need a different unit. Which might explain the single 153 that's on the shuttle today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rftorf

I managed to catch 197 007/021/013 on their trip back to Chester from Cardiff Canton yesterday.

Attachments

• DSCF6501s.jpg
    DSCF6501s.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
  • DSCF6507s.jpg
    DSCF6507s.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 110

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

This video suggests running to Cardiff in summer rather than May.

I managed to catch 197 007/021/013 on their trip back to Chester from Cardiff Canton yesterday.
Great shots, and I think they look absolutely fantastic there, so modern and shiny alongside the tatty fading green decor of Central station. The white and red is really smart.

They seem fairly well received anyway, apart from I noted a heavily biased video made by a YouTube rail review account called “Midland London,” which gave a somewhat one sided rant about TfW “ruining their express services.” Not a very balanced representation of the trains at all. Other than that, they seem to have gone down quite well.

Last edited:

Jez

Established Member

This video suggests running to Cardiff in summer rather than May.

Great shots, and I think they look absolutely fantastic there, so modern and shiny alongside the tatty fading green decor of Central station. The white and red is really smart.

They seem fairly well received anyway, apart from I noted a heavily biased video made by a YouTube rail review account called “Midland London,” which gave a somewhat one sided rant about TfW “ruining their express services.” Not a very balanced representation of the trains at all. Other than that, they seem to have gone down quite well.
Hopefully they will start to appear from May. Even if its during the Summer that could be June so it would only be a few more weeks longer to wait maybe.

St. Paddy

By my reckoning, it’s 2 months today since the last new one entered passenger service. Is this part of the plan or are there problems with them preventing acceptance?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
By my reckoning, it’s 2 months today since the last new one entered passenger service. Is this part of the plan or are there problems with them preventing acceptance?
Unit acceptance has significantly reduced for some reason. I think they were trying to get the first 3 car units accepted but that seems to have gone completely quiet. Some 2 cars are out on fault free running now so hopefully we'll see a few more start soon.

craigybagel

Established Member
Whilst training at other depots is ongoing, there's not a lot of extra services the 197s can work that they're not already working, so increasing the number of accepted units isn't going to make much difference.

Incidentally 046 is currently sitting in the loop at Crewe on a drag move.

GalaxyDog

RE slow down of acceptance. [Speculation]

Wonder if TfW have taken a gander out the window at Shrewsbury and seen the absolute circus that the CAF 196s have proven...?

Caaardiff

There's been issues with reliability in a few different aspects but on the whole they're doing pretty good.
They are certainly keeping North Wales running better than things in the south (Borderlands excluded)

The next hurdle is getting them introduced on routes further south, which is dependant on training.

craigybagel

Established Member
Has this only surfaced recently?

Edit: Clearly not as I have now found photo's of it from January haha
I've no idea as to the status of the unit itself, I was more referring to the fact you won't see any 197s in passenger service between Crewe and Shrewsbury for a while yet.

The_Train

Established Member
I've no idea as to the status of the unit itself, I was more referring to the fact you won't see any 197s in passenger service between Crewe and Shrewsbury for a while yet.
Yeah it was photted a couple of weeks back working a Shrewsbury to Crewe under a class 3 headcode whilst on test

SeaKing

How many have now operated revenue services, i know what has began this year but not sure what was accepted in 2022.

Jez

Established Member
How many of the 15 are generally booked into service each day? 6 on Manchester to Llandudno? 1 on Liverpool and 1 on Conwy Branch line? Im surprised they havent increased the Liverpool service to hourly again given they have 197s they can use now. I dont think its even returning to hourly from the May timetable change.

Caaardiff

How many of the 15 are generally booked into service each day? 6 on Manchester to Llandudno? 1 on Liverpool and 1 on Conwy Branch line? Im surprised they havent increased the Liverpool service to hourly again given they have 197s they can use now. I dont think its even returning to hourly from the May timetable change.
Too much training going on still to free up train crew and too many 2 cars rolling around North Wales, so some of the Manchester Llandudno services are doubled up to 4 car.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Usually between 8 and 10.

Philip

On Moderation
Is July/August currently a realistic date for introduction of 197s onto the first Manchester-South Wales diagram?

berneyarms

Established Member
Is July/August currently a realistic date for introduction of 197s onto the first Manchester-South Wales diagram?
This sort of question is pointless at the moment really - as the answer is frankly along the lines of "how long is a piece of string?"

sd0733

Established Member
No! Almost Definitely not.
September is the earliest you're likely to see a 197 in service on Manchester-South Wales ones.
Should them on late evening Cardiff-Crewes soon but not to Manchester

Jez

Established Member
No! Almost Definitely not.
September is the earliest you're likely to see a 197 in service on Manchester-South Wales ones.
Should them on late evening Cardiff-Crewes soon but not to Manchester
Id imagine December for a full service on the Manchester to South/West Wales.

sd0733

Established Member
Id imagine December for a full service on the Manchester to South/West Wales.
I wouldn't really put money on anything that far away. It'll depend on lots of things and getting the full service is a big step.

berneyarms

Established Member
There are so many elements to this that need to fall into place before it can happen, none of which anyone can determine when with any certainty - why do people keep asking these sort of questions on this thread?

It will happen when it happens is the only answer that anyone can give.