• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Jez

Established Member
So far ive only got 2 - 197012 and 197021! :D

But I've not been to Cardiff since they were introduced onto the Cardiff-Holyhead's. Be a lot easier once they go to Swansea/Carmarthen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It was naughty of me to use this thread as one for reporting haulages. I’ll stick to that appropriate thread!

I’ll be interested to know how many CDF HHD will remain using /0 (whether in single or double formation) when the /1 come into use, as the documentation released not that long ago suggested 3 cars alongside the MK4s.

JetStream

Sorry to hijack, but the toilets on the 197s keep failing. What legislation/aspect of the franchise agreement covers accessible toilets (I vaguely remember them not being required, but also that on shorter journeys it's definitely allowed?)?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Sorry to hijack, but the toilets on the 197s keep failing. What legislation/aspect of the franchise agreement covers accessible toilets (I vaguely remember them not being required, but also that on shorter journeys it's definitely allowed?)?
There’s only one toilet on the currently serviceable 197s, disabled or otherwise, so if it breaks everyone is inconvenienced and there is no specific inconvenience for disabled people.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Well, so long as the disability does not affect toilet requirements.
Well yes, rather I mean “people who specifically require the use of the accessible toilet” rather than “disabled people.” What I’m saying is, if the accessible toilet breaks no one can use the toilet, as opposed to only those that can use the small toilet can, which would be unintentionally discriminatory.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
It was naughty of me to use this thread as one for reporting haulages. I’ll stick to that appropriate thread!

I’ll be interested to know how many CDF HHD will remain using /0 (whether in single or double formation) when the /1 come into use, as the documentation released not that long ago suggested 3 cars alongside the MK4s.
LTP, the 06:24 Holyhead to Cardiff is booked a 3 from Holyhead, then 3+2 to Cardiff, splitting and forming different services later in the day. This obviously hasn't yet happened and I don't know what the STP diagrams are for when the next unit batch is accepted.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well you’d have bumped into me boarding it at Newport ahahaha.
As it stands I’m going back to London for my birthday so the nine 197s I’ve got is all I’ll have for now, but hopefully next week I can get up to double figures :lol:

You'd have found me warming up for some athletic activity I suspect, so probably just as well because by Newport I'd have been all focused on getting moving :lol:

Your 197 total is better than mine, which stands at just 1 so far. I will be changing that soon of course!

I see that RTT was reporting it to be a pair of 197/0s on the 1323 Cardiff-Holyhead earlier, and I nearly organised some moves around getting 197006 and 197011 in the book, instead I'm on the way to Birmingham!

Plasmanoodle

Not yet I asked yesterday on the class 197 Facebook group. Wont bother asking again after responses I got

Pop down to Cardiff and you’ll have two a day to try if you like :) I got 006 and 012 today.

I saw those! (Mortified to be on a train FB group but I joined for this info :lol:) Somewhat hostile.
I have also experienced the ‘warm welcome’ of that group. I must say the members here are much more friendly, and understanding if you make a mistake with your gen, which I do frequently!

Anyway, will the 6 car runs down to Cardiff become a regular thing from now on? I’d probably make a special trip down to Central to take a look. Unless they plan on testing some west of Cardiff in the near future.
Are the SwanLine platforms capable of accommodating a 6 car class 197?

craigybagel

Established Member
Anyway, will the 6 car runs down to Cardiff become a regular thing from now on? I’d probably make a special trip down to Central to take a look. Unless they plan on testing some west of Cardiff in the near future.
As per the original plans, Birmingham was the only route expected to see regular 6 car services (as now). That's not to say there won't be adhoc strengthening on other routes as required - it's a lot easier to do so with a uniform fleet fitted with ASDO than on a mixed fleet that struggles to deal with long platforms. Most intermediate stations on the Marches are 4 or 5 car max.

Swanline is 4 car max.

Plasmanoodle

As per the original plans, Birmingham was the only route expected to see regular 6 car services (as now). That's not to say there won't be adhoc strengthening on other routes as required - it's a lot easier to do so with a uniform fleet fitted with ASDO than on a mixed fleet that struggles to deal with long platforms. Most intermediate stations on the Marches are 4 or 5 car max.

Swanline is 4 car max.
Thanks for that. I don’t know how many carriages the dedicated Swansea - Cardiff Swanline services will have, but I know some west Wales to Manchester services stop at the Swanline stations, and if some of those are 5 carriages from Swansea as originally planned, then that will be a great capacity boost for those intermediate stations.
I will be happier to use those services instead of going out of my way to wait for the hourly IET, as well.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I might have to start getting serious about having a TfW 175 farewell journey soon!
As will I. Are there any routes/diagrams where one can still be fairly confident of having a 175 to ride on or is finding one going to be difficult if I want to have a last ride?

Anonymous10

Established Member
As will I. Are there any routes/diagrams where one can still be fairly confident of having a 175 to ride on or is finding one going to be difficult if I want to have a last ride?
They seem quite variable further south east the better I think, round cardiff is probably a safe bet.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

I think the only route you won't normally find one now is Manchester Airport to North Wales. I never did do Piccadilly to Airport or Oxford Road to Chester on a 175!

From what I hear, 175103 was in a spot of bother today on the 1256 from Hereford to Manchester, failed AC.

Jez

Established Member
I think the only route you won't normally find one now is Manchester Airport to North Wales. I never did do Piccadilly to Airport or Oxford Road to Chester on a 175!

From what I hear, 175103 was in a spot of bother today on the 1256 from Hereford to Manchester, failed AC.
I think they still turn up on Llandudno/Chester-Manchester Airport now and again. I seem to remember there was one last week. So you may still be able to do it before they go. Ive done Manchester Piccadilly o Llandudno on a 175 but never to Holyhead. I have also never been to Manchester Airport on a 175, only a 197!

But yes 99% of the time the Manchester to Llandudno's are 197s now.

Swanline is 4 car max.
When Swanline eventually switches to 197s I think the plan is to have 2 carriages?

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
I think they still turn up on Llandudno/Chester-Manchester Airport now and again. I seem to remember there was one last week. So you may still be able to do it before they go. Ive done Manchester Piccadilly o Llandudno on a 175 but never to Holyhead. I have also never been to Manchester Airport on a 175, only a 197!

When Swanline eventually switches to 197s I think the plan is to have 2 carriages?
I believe that is the plan yes - but there will still be a capacity increase with the service being doubled to run hourly.

childwallblues

Established Member
175102/105/110 have all been on Chester-Liverpool at varying times this week instead of the usual 197.

anthony263

Established Member
I have also experienced the ‘warm welcome’ of that group. I must say the members here are much more friendly, and understanding if you make a mistake with your gen, which I do frequently!

At best I think you'd fit 4 maybe 5 23m carriages at a push. I think 4.5 might be better

2 carriages on Swanline I think.

Bevan Price

Established Member
RTT reports that 197.043 is to take over the Chester / Liverpool service this afternoon, starting with the 14:43 off Chester, after another unit (197.018) "had a problem". If correct, this must be the first unit to enter service for a couple of months.

Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member
RTT reports that 197.043 is to take over the Chester / Liverpool service this afternoon, starting with the 14:43 off Chester, after another unit (197.018) "had a problem". If correct, this much be the first unit to enter service for a couple of months.
Confirmed 197043 entered service this afternoon driver posted a photo of it on Facebookat Chester, photos on the class 197 group . 1st of the next batch of 197s to enter service