• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Lurcheroo

Being said online that Barmouth councillors have been told that 197’s will be on the Cambrian this year (2024).
No crew training has taken place yet and as previously mentioned the latest internally was December 2025 but perhaps they wish to speed up the introduction? We shall see.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member

Being said online that Barmouth councillors have been told that 197’s will be on the Cambrian this year (2024).
No crew training has taken place yet and as previously mentioned the latest internally was December 2025 but perhaps they wish to speed up the introduction? We shall see.
I would interpret that as start of introduction on Cambrian coast by the end of 2024 with completion by the end of 2025. Twelve months taken to get all 197s in service on Cambrian coast makes sense if TfL are also still getting the last of the non-Cambrian Coast 197s into service during the same time. So a phased introduction to cater for the promisers.

BillStampy

Any idea why a 2-197 has gone to Landore on 5Z01?
I'm unsure, supposedly some work or West Wales movements? I would've thought it would go down tomorrow morning on the schedule to do Carmarthen Sidings 3E99 tomorrow, but thats the only possible explanation I can see. I saw it pass under Llanharan bridge not too long ago though. Couldn't catch the number on it either

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
197118 is 25 minutes late arriving at Bridgend due to a fault, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they swap it at Cardiff rather than keeping it on the Manchester service. That said, they may want to get it up north first and then swap it at Crewe so it can go to Chester perhaps.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Quite a few of us booted out of “First Class” by the guard on 197115 from Lime St at 1647. Zero branding that I can see. Is this a new policy or was she in the wrong? She didn’t offer anyone the option to upgrade either.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Quite a few of us booted out of “First Class” by the guard on 197115 from Lime St at 1647. Zero branding that I can see. Is this a new policy or was she in the wrong?
Absolutely in the wrong, and please do send TfW an email with the specified service. Even more cheeky to do so on a route that doesn't offer First Class at all.

Western 52

Quite a few of us booted out of “First Class” by the guard on 197115 from Lime St at 1647. Zero branding that I can see. Is this a new policy or was she in the wrong? She didn’t offer anyone the option to upgrade either.
Yesterday I had the opposite experience on 197120. The guard was welcoming and took time to explain about Standard Plus, and that it costs no more for now. A good advert, as passengers were impressed and may well use it in future.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Yesterday I had the opposite experience on 197120. The guard was welcoming and took time to explain about Standard Plus, and that it costs no more for now. A good advert, as passengers were impressed and may well use it in future.

So the enforcement of the upgrade has come into effect today, or was the guard on my service wrong? Either way I’ll be complaining to TFW about her approach.

Anonymous10

Established Member
So the enforcement of the upgrade has come into effect today, or was the guard on my service wrong? Either way I’ll be complaining to TFW about her approach.
I'm sure either craigybagel or sd will be along shortly who can no doubt shed some light on this.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'm sure either craigybagel or sd will be along shortly who can no doubt shed some light on this.
Either way, if Standard Plus has come into effect today (No signage on 118 which I had earlier, so it certainly shouldn’t be), a guard should not be calling it First Class and turfing people out. She should be gently informing them that this is the Standard Plus area and asking if they would like to upgrade.

Nick Ashwell

Just was on 019, good to see standards of quality control
If a partially sighted person misses their stop because of this I'd hope there would be a storm for TfW, although with a head of the EHRC who doesn't care about equality one wouldn't be shocked if it was swept under the carpet

Western 52

Just was on 019, good to see standards of quality control
These buttons are not well located either, as standing passengers (very common on TfW) can obscure them. I've seen a few people struggling to open the door. On the 231s there is just a single open button located on the door, much better and obvious as to it's function. Incidentally, on the 197s the black thing between the door controls is an indicator to show the door is not in use. I saw one lit last week.

Sheridan

These buttons are not well located either, as standing passengers (very common on TfW) can obscure them. I've seen a few people struggling to open the door. On the 231s there is just a single open button located on the door, much better and obvious as to it's function. Incidentally, on the 197s the black thing between the door controls is an indicator to show the door is not in use. I saw one lit last week.

Just as in northern’s 195s, they’re linked to the ASDO and show ‘door not in use’ often on approach to a station where the door will in fact become active when the train gets nearer to the station. It can be confusing for passengers unfamiliar with how they work, especially due to their similarity to the door not in use indicators on 158s, which really do mean that the door is locked out.

GWVillager

I would also comment that they’re only located on one side of the door, and at an awkward height.

Edit: I did not intend for that to be in bold, I’m not sure why it is!

eisenach

Almost a week on, and my back is still shot to pieces after coming back to Leominster from Chester on a 197. Fine before, but I felt it as I got up to get off at Leo.

Not great.

How do I find out when it's going to be a MK4 set ? The plan is to go to Liverpool for the day at the beginning of March, and I don't think my back can stand another session on a 197.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
How do I find out when it's going to be a MK4 set ? The plan is to go to Liverpool for the day at the beginning of March, and I don't think my back can stand another session on a 197.
Same day (typically by 1am day-of, if not earlier) allocations for TfW (and many other TOCs) are on realtime trains. Further in advance than same day isn't as easy to guess.

Liverpool-Chester TfW will probably be a 197

Jez

Established Member
On 197118 this morning (0532 ex Swansea). No branding in standard plus at all. So seems very inconsistent across the 3 of them in service so far. Im.the only person sat in 'standard plus' but the guard didn't say anything about moving when my ticket was checked! lol

A nice coincidence that my booked train was a 197 that I needed. Totally unplanned.

Last edited:

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
On 197118 this morning (0532 ex Swansea). No branding in standard plus at all. So seems very inconsistent across the 3 of them in service so far. Im.the only person sat in 'standard plus' but the guard didn't say anything about moving when my ticket was checked! lol

A nice coincidence that my booked train was a 197 that I needed. Totally unplanned.

And this is exactly why I was so irritated by the guard’s attitude yesterday. Luckily 197115 is booked for my morning commute to the office today so I’ll be testing what happens.

Jez

Established Member
And this is exactly why I was so irritated by the guard’s attitude yesterday. Luckily 197115 is booked for my morning commute to the office today so I’ll be testing what happens.
It doesn't help that tfw don't seem to know what's happening on social media. I saw the posts on X/twitter and them saying ask.the guard if you want an upgrade. Well there is no upgrade yet ! It doesn't give a very good impression.

I was the only passenger in standard plus until Newport now there are quite a few.. nobody seemed put off about sitting here either.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
It doesn't help that tfw don't seem to know what's happening on social media. I saw the posts on X/twitter and them saying ask.the guard if you want an upgrade. Well there is no upgrade yet ! It doesn't give a very good impression.

I was the only passenger in standard plus until Newport now there are quite a few.. nobody seemed put off about sitting here either.

Precisely. It was the way the guard booted us out before we’d left Lime St calling it First Class, “Do any of you have First Class tickets?” Well, no, because you’re supposed to sell us the Standard Premium upgrade on board!

Jez

Established Member
Precisely. It was the way the guard booted us out before we’d left Lime St calling it First Class, “Do any of you have First Class tickets?” Well, no, because you’re supposed to sell us the Standard Premium upgrade on board!
Yes that was totally uncalled for. And I'd make a complaint as well.

Have to say this is a massive improvement on when I last got this service (05xx to Manchester) back in October and it was a pair of 153s. Slowly the improvements to this service are happening.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Yes that was totally uncalled for. And I'd make a complaint as well.

Have to say this is a massive improvement on when I last got this service (05xx to Manchester) back in October and it was a pair of 153s. Slowly the improvements to this service are happening.

Well, sat in Standard Premium seats on 197115 and the pleasant guard has come round and done a ticket check and no more has been said.

Jez

Established Member
Well, sat in Standard Premium seats on 197115 and the pleasant guard has come round and done a ticket check and no more has been said.
That's good to know. Same on 197118. Different guard after Cardiff and both guards checked tickets and didn't say anything about first class or standard plus.

eisenach

Same day (typically by 1am day-of, if not earlier) allocations for TfW (and many other TOCs) are on realtime trains. Further in advance than same day isn't as easy to guess.

Liverpool-Chester TfW will probably be a 197

Thanks.

sd0733

Established Member
That's how it should be, or just to say it will be upgrades in the future. In all honesty the internal memos have been pretty clear on it stating their declassified until told otherwise so the confusion seems a little strange particularly from Social media teams who should easily be able to check.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
That's how it should be, or just to say it will be upgrades in the future. In all honesty the internal memos have been pretty clear on it stating their declassified until told otherwise so the confusion seems a little strange particularly from Social media teams who should easily be able to check.

I chased TFW for a reply and the response I’ve been given is:

Good afternoon, our premium fares on the Class 197 were launched in December 2023 and are in effect now, a reminder will be sent to our on-board staff about this.

The saga continues!