• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calder Valley permitted routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosscity

I recently needed to go from Birmingham to Halifax. This is a journey I have been making since the late 70s. Then, an 'Any Valid Route' Saver allowed you to travel via Sheffield or via Manchester and because in general there were fewer trains there were fewer routes. I've tried to work out the current Permitted Routes using the ATOC routing points and maps, assuming I have a Birmingham to Halifax Off-Peak Return ticket costing £55.20.

Birmingham and Halifax are Routing Points, and as far as I can see following routes are included:
Via Crewe/Stoke, Manchester, Rochdale
Via Crewe/Stoke, Manchester, Huddersfield
Via Sheffield, Penistone, Huddersfield
Via Sheffield, Wakefield, Huddersfield
Via Sheffield, Leeds, Bradford
Via Leicester, Derby, Wakefield, Huddersfield
Via Leicester, Derby, Leeds, Bradford.

I noticed that the Birmingham to Hebden Bridge Off-Peak return also costs £55.20. Here the routing points are Birmingham, Halifax, Manchester and Blackburn, so working out the permitted routes is a whole lot more complicated. I have three questions relating to if I had a Birmingham-Hebden Bridge ticket: 1) Are all the Halifax routes above still permitted? 2) could I travel via Preston too? 3) Are there any other routes I could use (eg via Manchester-Blackburn)?

I still would travel to Halifax, and would pay from/to Hebden Bridge if I was travelling via Lancashire, but am I right in thinking that a ticket to Hebden Bridge gives me more route options than one to Halifax?

I won't be going again until 2012.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Easy question first, since the fares to Hebden Bridge are the same, then it passes the fares check for Halifax and so has at least the same route availability.

Since Blackburn also passes the fares check and travel to Blackburn from Birmingham is permitted via Preston then this route is also valid BUT you would need an extra ticket for Hebden Bridge to Halifax since you reach Hebden Bridge first. Also, splitting can save you a fair bit if you want to travel out/return the same way.

Valid Routes from Birmingham New Street [BHM] to Hebden Bridge [HBD]:
  1. Direct trains from Birmingham New Street to Hebden Bridge
  2. Shortest Route: 109.25 miles
  3. Mapped Routes (subject to fares check):
    BIRMINGHAM GROUP - Blackburn:
    BIRMINGHAM GROUP - HALIFAX GROUP:
    BIRMINGHAM GROUP - MANCHESTER GROUP:

Last edited:

button_boxer

Established Member
Easy question first, since the fares to Hebden Bridge are the same, then it passes the fares check for Halifax and so has at least the same route availability.

Since Blackburn also passes the fares check and travel to Blackburn from Birmingham is permitted via Preston then this route is also valid BUT you would need an extra ticket for Hebden Bridge to Halifax since you reach Hebden Bridge first.

Only if you wanted to come back via Hebden Bridge too - if you were happy to come back via Sheffield, for example, then you could switch from the outward to the return portion of your ticket at Hebden Bridge, then break your return journey at Halifax.

crosscity

Thank you to both of you for your replies, they make perfect sense and I may even book to Hebden Bridge the next time. I understand that I can pay less by splitting, but then the flexibility of using different routes is lost. As I now have a 'Two Together Railcard' I can justify paying the higher price.

Travelling via Preston would be a first and would bring back happy memories from the sixties when as a child I used to go on holiday on a through train from Halifax to Blackpool Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.