• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clansman

Established Member
But why should everyone subsidise your religion?

Likewise, why should everyone subsidise your wish of HSTs (and the 156 DVT someone else mentioned) on the West Highland line with extended waits at Rannoch and Corrour on a regular basis purely to allow "the appreciation of scenery"?

Let's be honest, what do you realistically think out of these 2 options, the public would want to subsidise...:

1) Enhanced direct overnight links from Scotland to London, catering for commuters and tourists alike, consisting of new state of the art rolling stock which will last a good 30-40 years minimum.

2) An HST with a 156 DVT on the back of it, running up and down the WHL and stopping off at Rannoch and Corrour simply for the scenery - all at the expense of not having a sleeper, but a train which would mechanically drain the budget set out and one which would only last 10 years max.

Only one of these ideas has any logic involved, in my opinion. No further words needed.

:roll:

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRX

Established Member
But why should everyone subsidise your religion?

Why not chop the FW sleeper?

Essentially the same "death by a thousand cuts" argument that I'd use to defend against cuts to rail services in general.

The same arguments you could use against the sleeper subsidy could be used against subsidising any kind of railway in the Highlands...or even nationally.

cf. Beeching.

Scotrail84

Established Member
90049 is stabled in Edinburgh too I believe, having taken up 1S25 last night, so may well be working 1M16 back tonight. Class 90s stretching their legs last few nights it seems - and a Class 92 convention at Willesden TMD (92010, 023 and 032 all there I think).

(92038 headed to Waverley earlier with the Edinburgh portion empties, so could feasibly switch with 90049 and take 1M16.)

92033 looks to be on 1M11 and 92014 on 1S26 it would appear, so the Lowlanders are 92 hauled.

It could but it takes time at Edinburgh to do all the shunts. There's only one shunter out at that time and more often than not switching engines around like that delays boarding and can lead to a late start.

Last edited:

Scotrail84

Established Member
Likewise, why should everyone subsidise your wish of HSTs (and the 156 DVT you mentioned) on the West Highland line with extended waits at Rannoch and Corrour on a regular basis purely to allow "the appreciation of scenery"?

Let's be honest, what do you realistically think out of these 2 options, the public would want to subsidise...:

1) Enhanced direct overnight links from Scotland to London, catering for commuters and tourists alike, consisting of new state of the art rolling stock which will last a good 30-40 years minimum.

2) An HST with a 156 DVT on the back of it, running up and down the WHL and stopping off at Rannoch and Corrour simply for the scenery - all at the expense of not having a sleeper, but a train which would mechanically drain the budget set out and one which would only last 10 years max.

Only one of these ideas has any logic involved, in my opinion. No further words needed.

:roll:

The bit in bold has to be one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever read on here. What a crock of s**t. :lol:

Established Member
Oi, excuse me you two, I'm quite offended by this. You're ignoring my brilliant idea for Stadler-built reproduction 27s, 37s and mk1s and mk2s for new WHL stock. I had a repro mk1 Griddle Car selling Sweetheart Stout, an actor playing a drunk 1970s Mallaig fisherman to abuse the tourists in the summer months, the lot.

Surely that's the stupidest idea ever to appear on this forum? [emoji38]

InOban

Established Member
Some of you have no sense of humour.

And I never suggested a miniHST with a156 DVT. That really is crackpot.

What I was hamfistedly suggesting was that if there is a market for prosperous tourists to enjoy glories of the WHL, wouldn't it be better in daylight?

Perhaps someone can tell me. What is the normal load on the FW sleeper? It wouldn't surprise me to discover that the 12.11 from Oban on a winter Sunday carries almost as many passengers as the sleeper does in a winter week.

Chrism20

Established Member
Oi, excuse me you two, I'm quite offended by this. You're ignoring my brilliant idea for Stadler-built reproduction 27s, 37s and mk1s and mk2s for new WHL stock. I had a repro mk1 Griddle Car selling Sweetheart Stout, an actor playing a drunk 1970s Mallaig fisherman to abuse the tourists in the summer months, the lot.

Now we are talking. Can you arrange for someone to also sit in the corner of the lounge with an out of tune accordion? That would just finish it off nicely.

Clansman

Established Member

What I was hamfistedly suggesting was that if there is a market for prosperous tourists to enjoy glories of the WHL, wouldn't it be better in daylight?

Perhaps someone can tell me. What is the normal load on the FW sleeper? It wouldn't surprise me to discover that the 12.11 from Oban on a winter Sunday carries almost as many passengers as the sleeper does in a winter week.

I apologise for the confusion aspect of it, however, this was corrected in the original post by myself before you posted.

Although the 2 ideas, 156 DVT aside, were similar.

Last edited:

CosherB

Established Member

Quite right, it wasn't you .... it was our old friend GrimShady, who has been conspicuous by his/her absence of late!

Essan

Nostalgia is big business these days! And besides, its a darned sight better than the current overcrowded, jammed with luggage, summer 156s. At least we'd be able to open a window :D

Scotrail84

Established Member

He has to stink of foosty pish as well.

paul1609

Established Member

Ive been priced off it now but Novemeber loadings were typically about half a dozen under Scotrail, having said that its also true for many of the normal services north of Crianlarich in winter- the bus from Fort William to Glasgow is about an hour quicker and serves the airport en-route. Perhaps we should look at closing the whole West Highland line and moving the subsidy to an integrated bus/air service.

InOban

Established Member
Many winter services to FW, maybe. The 12.11 on Sunday will normally carry 60+, even when leaving oban. And there are two later trains..

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Now we are talking. Can you arrange for someone to also sit in the corner of the lounge with an out of tune accordion? That would just finish it off nicely.

OT sorry, but just an observation: accordions are always out of tune; that's how they produce their distinctive timbre – with two sets of reeds one of which is deliberately tuned off pitch. :)

Marklund

Sadly, CS seem to think that the lounge car is the place for the awful folk music, further reinforcing the shortbread tin market they are aiming for.

TimboM

Established Member
It could but it takes time at Edinburgh to do all the shunts. There's only one shunter out at that time and more often than not switching engines around like that delays boarding and can lead to a late start.

Aye - makes more sense I suspect to do a switch during the course of the day (unless absolutely necessary).

e.g. it appears 90016 went back to Polmadie with 92038 and the Edinburgh portion ECS this morning having brought 1S25 up. So 90016, 92014 and 92038 are all at Polmadie and can be sent out on whatever service they're allocated to for tonight.

Established Member
Sadly, CS seem to think that the lounge car is the place for the awful folk music, further reinforcing the shortbread tin market they are aiming for.
Has anyone actually experienced this horror? I know that CS threatened it, I think alongside stand up comedy, when they started the franchise but I don't know of anyone who's been subjected to 'entertainment' yet.

Just getting sat down and served before 10pm is the main priority for most on the Inverness lounge out of Euston. The only stand up comedy is from the posh weekender numpties hanging round lounge tables like they're in a Chelsea gastropub knocked off balance by the brakes grabbing on the mk2. [emoji38]

Chrism20

Established Member
OT sorry, but just an observation: accordions are always out of tune; that's how they produce their distinctive timbre – with two sets of reeds one of which is deliberately tuned off pitch. :)

That would explain quite a bit :D

Has anyone actually experienced this horror? I know that CS threatened it, I think alongside stand up comedy, when they started the franchise but I don't know of anyone who's been subjected to 'entertainment' yet.

Just getting sat down and served before 10pm is the main priority for most on the Inverness lounge out of Euston. The only stand up comedy is from the posh weekender numpties hanging round lounge tables like they're in a Chelsea gastropub knocked off balance by the brakes grabbing on the mk2. [emoji38]

They did do a talk/sampling thing with cider IIRC - was it Thistly Cross?

I'm not sure if there has been any entertainment as such, perhaps they are waiting till the new stock arrives and there will be a farewell ceilidh

Only ever done the Inverness sleeper once in each direction and I remember it done a roaring trade in the lounge.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Aye - makes more sense I suspect to do a switch during the course of the day (unless absolutely necessary).

e.g. it appears 90016 went back to Polmadie with 92038 and the Edinburgh portion ECS this morning having brought 1S25 up. So 90016, 92014 and 92038 are all at Polmadie and can be sent out on whatever service they're allocated to for tonight.

The 90 was on on 1C11 tonight and I'm sure 92 038 worked 1M16. 5C11 came through t and t with 038 coming off at Edinburgh to work 1M16 later.

Carntyne

What happened with 5M11 last night? I saw on CCF it was running around 90 late, delaying some other stuff around the Central.

TimboM

Established Member
The 90 was on on 1C11 tonight and I'm sure 92 038 worked 1M16. 5C11 came through t and t with 038 coming off at Edinburgh to work 1M16 later.

Cheers for the info and yes, 92038 definitely worked 1M16 - saw it on its way into Euston. 90016 was the 90 on Edinburgh portion duties (90049 worked 1S25 up to Edinburgh).

TimboM

Established Member
What happened with 5M11 last night? I saw on CCF it was running around 90 late, delaying some other stuff around the Central.

Not sure of any particular reason, but it used the path that's in which took it out to Motherwell then back into Glasgow - with the 'direct' path straight into Glasgow Central cancelled. That can happen due to engineering possession or some other blockage, but may be another explanation.

It left 86L and arrived 52L, although with the ECS moves the timings (from the Sleeper's point of view) aren't so critical as long as the stock's there in good time for detaching the ECS loco/loading etc. (which it was - c.1h 45m before it needed to depart).

gsnedders

Established Member
Not sure of any particular reason, but it used the path that's in which took it out to Motherwell then back into Glasgow - with the 'direct' path straight into Glasgow Central cancelled. That can happen due to engineering possession or some other blockage, but may be another explanation.

Does that path not turn the stock? I thought that was why it is used at times?

Clansman

Established Member
Southbound Inverness has had its seated coach closed off due to an issue with the toilets which caused an unpleasant smell which plagued the entire coach before departure - as well as issues with the hot water in both the seated coach and lounge car (unsure about the sleepers). All seated passengers were given the option to share the remaining standard berths in Coach G.

TimboM

Established Member
Southbound Inverness has had its seated coach closed off due to an issue with the toilets which caused an unpleasant smell which plagued the entire coach before departure - as well as issues with the hot water in both the seated coach and lounge car (unsure about the sleepers). All seated passengers were given the option to share the remaining standard berths in Coach G.

Sounds like they could do with some new coaches...! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.