• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Northbound, should have said! For thr record, I'm on an ALR right now so i wound my way back to London today. 90042 is good news for me as a winning loco.

No idea what happened to the seats. Possibly MA issue or heating fault etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CosherB

Established Member
While most of the Mk3 stock probably won't have a long term future once replaced by the Mk5s, I wonder what will happen to the CS Mk2s? As I understand it, the 22 carriages are provided by Eversholt whereas the Mk3 stock is leased from Porterbrook.

New homes at Riviera or WCRC? Scrap?

Scotrail84

Established Member
While most of the Mk3 stock probably won't have a long term future once replaced by the Mk5s, I wonder what will happen to the CS Mk2s? As I understand it, the 22 carriages are provided by Eversholt whereas the Mk3 stock is leased from Porterbrook.

New homes at Riviera or WCRC? Scrap?

Serco own the MK2's outright, currently going through a refurb program.

BRX

Established Member
Serco own the MK2's outright, currently going through a refurb program.

What are they doing to them? Patching them up enough that they don't completely fall apart in the next 18 months?

Scotrail84

Established Member
What are they doing to them? Patching them up enough that they don't completely fall apart in the next 18 months?

Internal repairs of galley equipment, new table covers etc, eating/aircon repairs. Brodies is doing it.

fgwrich

Established Member
Internal repairs of galley equipment, new table covers etc, eating/aircon repairs. Brodies is doing it.

Eating repairs? I wouldn't have said there was anything wrong with the Caley Sleepers food :lol:

I knew what you meant though, and I'm please it's finally happening. Will coaches gain Caley Sleeper vinyls as well?

JModulo

Eating repairs? I wouldn't have said there was anything wrong with the Caley Sleepers food :lol:

I knew what you meant though, and I'm please it's finally happening. Will coaches gain Caley Sleeper vinyls as well?

Going by the one which I seen coming out of Brodies the other week it would appear not. Only some of the underside was painted and various touch ups to the ex First livery.

Scotrail84

Established Member

No coaches will receive the new vinyls. Only the new mk5s which will be individually named as well I believe.

TimboM

Established Member
Looks like two CS 92s on the northbound sleepers this evening - so 92033 back out to play? (along with 018)

87002 also back on the (Lowlander) ECS having sprung a leak on Monday night.

Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member
Berth sheets.......

Is it just me, or does anyone else have issues with the fabric of the sheets in standard berths (I'd imagine the same sheets in first)?

If sleeping without clothes on the sheet under the duvet, I've found the sheets to be extremely itchy and uncomfortable. I'm guessing it's how the sheets are washed or starched but twice in the last 10 days I've had issues on south bound lowland sleepers with sheets like this and had previous experiences of the same issue in the past.

Anyone else felt this

Clansman

Established Member
Berth sheets.......

Is it just me, or does anyone else have issues with the fabric of the sheets in standard berths (I'd imagine the same sheets in first)?

If sleeping without clothes on the sheet under the duvet, I've found the sheets to be extremely itchy and uncomfortable. I'm guessing it's how the sheets are washed or starched but twice in the last 10 days I've had issues on south bound lowland sleepers with sheets like this and had previous experiences of the same issue in the past.

Anyone else felt this

My only issue with the beds in each berth is that the mattress moves about if I change sleeping position. Other than that I don't see any issues. Would've been nice to have a blanket on the end though like they used to have in First Class under Scotrail.

TimboM

Established Member
Berth sheets.......

...Anyone else felt this

Never had that problem. My issue tends to be more the lovely warm duvet, which then gets too warm in the middle of the night - particularly with the somewhat unsophisticated heating/"air con" in the berths.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Berth sheets.......

Anyone else felt this

Never had that problem. My issue tends to be more the lovely warm duvet, which then gets too warm in the middle of the night - particularly with the somewhat unsophisticated heating/"air con" in the berths.

The itchy sheets only seems to affect certain people. Certainly an on going issue.

TimboM

Established Member
038 on 1C11.

Class 92 full-house I believe last night.

(010 on 1M11, 014 on 1M16, 018/033 working the Northbounds.)

EDIT: No idea what the angry emoji is for in the heading?! :lol:

Last edited:

Established Member
When Serco took over first the cotton bedding was an immediate and huge improvement on First's BR-era polyester.

From what I hear, that initial batch seems to have been replaced with new stuff which looks the same but is much rougher and scratchier. It's almost like it's got a finish on it that needs to be washed out, but it does seem to be making the beds less comfortable than they used to be. It's maybe been selected to be harder wearing.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Had a 67 from Stirling into Edinburgh and a 92 from there onwards. Spied the 87 sat ready to pull the Lowland empties out as we arrived in Euston; I'd gone long before the loco arrived to pick up the Highland.

It really is a heck of a walk when you alight at the rearmost door at Euston!

TimboM

Established Member
Had a 67 from Stirling into Edinburgh and a 92 from there onwards. Spied the 87 sat ready to pull the Lowland empties out as we arrived in Euston; I'd gone long before the loco arrived to pick up the Highland.

It really is a heck of a walk when you alight at the rearmost door at Euston!

Would've been 67007 and 92014 (if you didn't catch the numbers) - and 87002 of course ;)

Usually the Lowlander loco (92010 last night) is detached and stays behind at Euston to run round to take the Highlander ECS back.

I did the full walk there and back the other week to see the ECS loco and you're right - it's a long way!

TimboM

Established Member
Triple Grey 92044 making a relatively rare appearance on the Sleeper tonight (on 1S25 Northbound Highlander).

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
When Serco took over first the cotton bedding was an immediate and huge improvement on First's BR-era polyester.

From what I hear, that initial batch seems to have been replaced with new stuff which looks the same but is much rougher and scratchier. It's almost like it's got a finish on it that needs to be washed out, but it does seem to be making the beds less comfortable than they used to be. It's maybe been selected to be harder wearing.

These rougher ones... are they flannelette type cotton while the earlier ones were smooth cotton?

TimboM

Established Member
1S25 (North Highlander) seems to have had a slight issue...

It left Euston on time (2028) with 87002 leading to take it as for as Wembley for the reverse (ECML diversion tonight) - but appears it hasn't even made it to Camden Junction yet (20 mins later). Pendolinos are also heading away from Euston on the Up Fast, suggesting 1S25 is blocking the Down Fast (which it was on) - or something else is blocking the line and it's stuck behind it.

Update:
Now looks like it's back in Platform 15 at Euston (and Pendolinos etc have resumed on the Down Fast) - most likely dragged back there by the 92 on the rear (that's there ready to take the train forward from Wembley).

The poor passengers on 1S25 will be very confused tonight - Euston to Camden, wait for c.20 mins, then back to Euston; Euston to Wembley, wait for c.30 mins, then back to Camden...

Further Update:
On it's way again, this time on the Slows... 87002 leading after a short time back at Euston, so presumably not an issue with the traction - perhaps something wrong with the stock (air leak or similar), or an external factor?

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
1S25 (North Highlander) seems to have had a slight issue...

It left Euston on time (2028) with 87002 leading to take it as for as Wembley for the reverse (ECML diversion tonight) - but appears it hasn't even made it to Camden Junction yet (20 mins later). Pendolinos are also heading away from Euston on the Up Fast, suggesting 1S25 is blocking the Down Fast (which it was on) - or something else is blocking the line and it's stuck behind it.

Update:
Now looks like it's back in Platform 15 at Euston (and Pendolinos etc have resumed on the Down Fast) - most likely dragged back there by the 92 on the rear (that's there ready to take the train forward from Wembley).

The poor passengers on 1S25 will be very confused tonight - Euston to Camden, wait for c.20 mins, then back to Euston; Euston to Wembley, wait for c.30 mins, then back to Camden...

Further Update:
On it's way again, this time on the Slows... 87002 leading after a short time back at Euston, so presumably not an issue with the traction - perhaps something wrong with the stock (air leak or similar), or an external factor?

It wasn't allowed a good run up Camden Bank and was caught out by a flange lubricator, causing it to slip to a stand. Given a good run up the bank it made it fine - bearing it mind it's load 16 and with a dead 92 on the back!

Status
Not open for further replies.