• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Reservations for a through trip shouldnt require any fiddling surely? It just allocates you the same seat throughout as the system thinks that its a through service and even if it does recognise the changeover in Edinburgh it surely assumes that the same kind of seating configuration is present in the coach transfered onto so no I dont see how this is relevant.

On the points that Serco dont give a flying whatsit about day pax and may or may not try to further complicate matters post MK5 introduction I agree totally.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail84

Established Member
Another loco failure tonight. This time 90 046. Luckily 92 010 was DIT so that was panned up at used and the 90 was punted off at haymarket and collected by 86 101 which I'm assuming dragged it to mossend. 1M16 now around 110 late.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Things happen I guess, 110 late not brilluaiant but a bit of that at least should be clawed back.

Not with a 92 on. Only made up 3 minutes between haymarket and beattock. Cal sleeper coaches now back on ft willy after a coach move last night.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Reservations for a through trip shouldnt require any fiddling surely? It just allocates you the same seat throughout as the system thinks that its a through service and even if it does recognise the changeover in Edinburgh it surely assumes that the same kind of seating configuration is present in the coach transfered onto so no I dont see how this is relevant.

The problem is that Aberdeen passengers are also present in the coach beyond Edinburgh.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Perhaps incase the Inverness portion needs to divert via Aberdeen? Has been done on a few occasions when the HML has been choked with snow.

1A25 will continue to be worked by ScotRail guards on rolling 4 weekly contract basis until further notice. Probably around august/September time. This is to allow for the training of a few extra bodies.

All other sleeper services are now worked by Serco's own guards.

TimboM

Established Member
Another loco failure tonight. This time 90 046. Luckily 92 010 was DIT so that was panned up at used and the 90 was punted off at haymarket and collected by 86 101 which I'm assuming dragged it to mossend. 1M16 now around 110 late.

You wonder how 'match fit' 90046 was as it had been restricted to ECS duties since it arrived at Willesden on Saturday on the latest F/L 90 rotation and only stepped in last minute when 92033 failed on Wed night as really the only option available.

Sorry for being a pedant but it was 86401 (unless 86101 nipped up from Barrow Hill ;)). The working (VSTP 5B11) appears to have gone straight to Polmadie with no apparent stop-offs, so looks like that's where 90046 has gone.

Return VSTP working have gone in for later this morning to Mossend and back to Polmadie, so possibility that's to take 90046 and maybe bring back a working 90? 47749 is at Polmadie to assist if required.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O05125/2017/06/16/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O05126/2017/06/16/advanced

Not with a 92 on. Only made up 3 minutes between haymarket and beattock. Cal sleeper coaches now back on ft willy after a coach move last night.

It's clawed back 33 mins by Stafford, but doubt it'll make up much more as there's less slack in the timetable I think from there into Euston, and possibility of getting put on the Slows etc. at various points now its lost its path. Likely to be over an hour late, unless it can recover another 18 mins and save a chunk of Delay Repay.

Still, the 92's top speed is 87.5 mph faster than the 90's for tonight at least :lol:

Last edited:

Scotrail84

Established Member
You wonder how 'match fit' 90046 was as it had been restricted to ECS duties since it arrived at Willesden on Saturday on the latest F/L 90 rotation and only stepped in last minute when 92033 failed on Wed night as really the only option available.

Sorry for being a pedant but it was 86401 (unless 86101 nipped up from Barrow Hill ;)). The working (VSTP 5B11) appears to have gone straight to Polmadie with no apparent stop-offs, so looks like that's where 90046 has gone.

Return VSTP working have gone in for later this morning to Mossend and back to Polmadie, so possibility that's to take 90046 and maybe bring back a working 90? 47749 is at Polmadie to assist if required.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O05125/2017/06/16/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O05126/2017/06/16/advanced

It's clawed back 33 mins by Stafford, but doubt it'll make up much more as there's less slack in the timetable I think from there into Euston, and possibility of getting put on the Slows etc. at various points now its lost its path. Likely to be over an hour late, unless it can recover another 18 mins and save a chunk of Delay Repay.

Still, the 92's top speed is 87.5 mph faster than the 90's for tonight at least :lol:

The 90 worked 1S25 up on Wednesday night at 100mph no problem. Failed last night with a TM fault. Unable to get over 10mph without the brakes coming on. Luckily 92 010 was DIT on a positiong move or we were looking at a certain cancellation.

77 late now at Brinklow

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And tonight's loco failure will be (puts hand into bowl with four balls with loco numbers on them and picks one out).

;)

TimboM

Established Member
The 90 worked 1S25 up on Wednesday night at 100mph no problem. Failed last night with a TM fault. Unable to get over 10mph without the brakes coming on. Luckily 92 010 was DIT on a positiong move or we were looking at a certain cancellation.

77 late now at Brinklow

I take it TM = Traction Motor?

Very lucky having 92010 - loco moves like that happen once in a blue moon. Hypothetical now, but I guess the only other option would've been getting 92014 in from Carstairs and then using something else (47749?) for the Edinburgh portion in the morning, but that would've needed drivers in the right place etc. etc. and taken even longer.

There's a distinct irony in a 92 having to take over from a failed 90.

It's pretty much flat-lined at 77 Late now, can't see it gaining much more. Full refunds on the way...

TimboM

Established Member
And tonight's loco failure will be (puts hand into bowl with four balls with loco numbers on them and picks one out).

;)

The balls with the 90s on are now in the bowl too!

Don't forget the balls for the Edinburgh portion loco and ECS locos. 92044 worked the Lowlander ECS into Euston last night and most probably will do the 5M11 return working shortly.

Scotrail84

Established Member
I take it TM = Traction Motor?

Very lucky having 92010 - loco moves like that happen once in a blue moon. Hypothetical now, but I guess the only other option would've been getting 92014 in from Carstairs and then using something else (47749?) for the Edinburgh portion in the morning, but that would've needed drivers in the right place etc. etc. and taken even longer.

There's a distinct irony in a 92 having to take over from a failed 90.

It's pretty much flat-lined at 77 Late now, can't see it gaining much more. Full refunds on the way...

Yes it's traction motor. If they had drivers they could have used the carstairs recess loco then used the S25 loco for B26 in the morning.

1M16 routed via Northampton so that's the made up time goosed.

TimboM

Established Member
Yes it's traction motor. If they had drivers they could have used the carstairs recess loco then used the S25 loco for B26 in the morning.

1M16 routed via Northampton so that's the made up time goosed.

Aye, 85L now...

louis97

Established Member
Perhaps incase the Inverness portion needs to divert via Aberdeen? Has been done on a few occasions when the HML has been choked with snow.

From what I have heard its more to do with some new recruits are still in training. Scotrail chose that service as it fits best with them I believe.

BRX

Established Member
It most certainly is if doing it as a through journey.

Did you actually read all of the previous post?

Yes, the discussion was about difficulties booking on the day service north of edinburgh, not the seated overnight service from london. Booking for that is included in the options on the sleeper.scot site.

Highland37

Established Member
"Another" yes, but that's two in a week having hardly had any in the past few months, so again there's a perception that isn't actually backed up by the facts.

Yes but what percentage of the runs have been 92 hauled during that time?

Some facts would be handy.

1. What percentage of runs have been 92 hauled?
2. What percentage of those runs have been on time?
3. What percentage of planned 92 runs have used alternative traction, for whatever reason?

Etc

CosherB

Established Member
Yes but what percentage of the runs have been 92 hauled during that time?

1. What percentage of runs have been 92 hauled?
3. What percentage of planned 92 runs have used alternative traction, for whatever reason?

Etc

For the interests of balanced reporting, in light of 90046:

What percentage of the runs have been 90 hauled during that time?

1. What percentage of runs have been 90 hauled?
3. What percentage of planned 90 runs have used alternative traction, for whatever reason?

;)

Highland37

Established Member
Yes that would be handy also. As would a direct comparison with the 67s and 73s.

All of those facts may reveal some uncomfortable realities.

Highland37

Established Member
Yes that would be handy also. As would a direct comparison with the 67s and 73s.

TimboM

Established Member

I can provide a fair bit of the info on the A/C traction, less so on the 73s/67s.

Regarding the 92s, the reality is not uncomfortable though. I'll sort some more specific info out later, but over the last c.3 months the main runs under the wires have been c.75% 92 hauled and there have been as far as I can recall 3x 92 failures which have impacted the services to any significant degree, resulting in: one cancellation (92044 on Sunday night), one delay (at final destination) of c.45 mins and then Wed night when the train was 88 Late at Edinburgh (98 late at Inverness). That's 3 out of approx. 260 workings done by 92s, or c.1%. Or, conversely, the 92s are not causing any major issues 99% of the time.

For balance, there's been a 90 failure (last night - resulting in 97 Late arrival) and the 87 failed the other week (I think the delay was all but recovered).

I doubt this is particularly worse than other locos/stock and certainly a world away from Spring 2015 when the 92s were having major failures mid-journey on a regular basis and there were all manner of cancellations, severe delays, rescues by 66s etc.

They were a reliability nightmare (that's why they got pulled in summer 2015 and had all the work done on them at Loughborough). They're significantly improved now, but they're never going to be 100% as nothing ever is.

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
92 033 on 1S25

92 044 on 1S26

90 042 came of the wires at Wembley today.

Could be interesting again with the two 'failure culprits' from the last week on...

I'd have thought 92010 would be used ahead of one of those having come south from Scotland yesterday. Not sure what 033's issue was Wed night and if it was easily fixable?

For the uninformed of us, what does "coming off the wires" exactly mean and why does this stop it from running tonight (if it indeed has)?

Scotrail84

Established Member
Could be interesting again with the two 'failure culprits' from the last week on...

I'd have thought 92010 would be used ahead of one of those having come south from Scotland yesterday. Not sure what 033's issue was Wed night and if it was easily fixable?

For the uninformed of us, what does "coming off the wires" exactly mean and why does this stop it from running tonight (if it indeed has)?

92 010 a victim of the wires issue as well. Both became seperated from the overheads in the depot. Can't tell you any more.

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
92 010 a victim of the wires issue as well. Both became sprayed from the overheads in the depot. Can't tell you any more.

Ah OK, fair enough - hence left with 92044 and 92033.

1S25 left Euston 35 mins late. Heard that Coach F has failed so not sure if that's why there was a delay, or 92033 is misbehaving again... or both.

If 90046 and 92010 have been caught up in wires issues (pardon the pun) there isn't really any back-up is there...!? (87002 on the buffers having brought in ECS).

Last edited:

Scotrail84

Established Member
Ah OK, fair enough - hence left with 92044 and 92033.

1S25 left Euston 35 mins late. Heard that Coach F has failed so not sure if that's why there was a delay, or 92033 is misbehaving again... or both.

If 90046 and 92010 have been caught up in wires issues (pardon the pun) there isn't really any back-up is there...!? (87002 on the buffers having brought in ECS).

Where are you getting your info from mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.