• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JModulo

If the t'Interwebs is to be believed, MM10 BUS is a Neoplan Tourliner, which isn't exactly lacking in comfort.

Me personally I wouldn't go near anything made by neoplan. They're as bad to travel on as they are to work on.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If the t'Interwebs is to be believed, MM10 BUS is a Neoplan Tourliner, which isn't exactly lacking in comfort.

https://www.neoplan.com/neoplan/med...lan_master/tourliner/tourliner_broschuere.pdf

I wouldn't say it's a significant downgrade on the seated coach.
The coach itself is 8 years old, not the one which you are alluding to which is the newest model which they sell. Also a brief check up on Flickr of it shows that the seats in it are not exactly the sort of ones which you would want to do an overnight coach journey up to Scotland in.
Sure Neoplan coaches/buses(:D) can be specced up to an excellent standard which would be more suitable for an overnight coach trip to Scotland in, this one however is not one of them.
Sam

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

swaldman

Seems to me that there are already night coaches between London and Edinburgh/Glasgow - so if somebody is on the seated sleeper, most likely paying more, it's because they prefer it for some reason.

Leisurefirst

If the coach in the picture is the one that they have put on then that is relatively poor. For that sort of journey you would at least want one which is relatively high specced. Would hope that if there were any punters having to use the coach that they would get their money back.
Sam

Good luck! Got bustituted from Edinburgh to Fort William a couple of years ago and wrote to them about how disappointed I was not to be able to do the train journey (was coming back via Kyle & Inverness) and attitude was very much "well we got you there".
They did indeed and quicker than the train but that wasn't the point!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Some places run 2+1 in the “luxury” road coaches, which is a lot better :)

A bit like the Megabus sleepers which didn't really work, there's only really a market for those in countries with underdeveloped rail networks (or rail networks with compulsory reservations that operate significant undercapacity vs demand).

BRX

Established Member
Going a bit off topic but I'm curious what the thinking is on why the megabus sleepers didn't really work (not that I'd ever be tempted to use one myself).

Did they find they couldn't undercut the sleeper prices by enough?

GrimShady

Established Member
Not sure if this has ever been raised

I am a user of the sleeper, typically twice a year , my colleagues are more frequent users. Over the last year we have all suffered from a dramatic skin irritation/itch from the bedding on the sleeper . 4 of us all experience it regularly and only after using the sleeper . We have concluded there is a different sheet material or detergent which is causing it . None of us are prone to an allergic reaction and its very specific to contact skin contact with the sheets . I can only liken it to when you get fibreglass wool on your skin . We all use the office shower after arriving and it seems to quickly stop the dreadful itchy irritation . One of my colleagues packs a silk sleeping bag liner to avoid contact with the bedding . Given this is now a routine experience and affects nearly all of us that use the sleeper, bar one , I assume others have experienced it but perhaps never report it ? It does put me off using the sleeper now and I was hoping the new rolling stock will use different bedding , but perhaps not . I would stress its only surfaced in the last year , never had any reaction before now in decades of using the service .

Yes iveI noticed this over the last two years!

Mingulay

Yes iveI noticed this over the last two years!

It seems a fairly common complaint. I never received a reply other than an automatic generated acknowledgment from CS. That’s Serco for you. I guess they are so thick skinned they are not bothered by itchy bedding! I can only assume the new sleeper will have the same cheap and nasty sheets . I will give it one try when the new stock actually arrive. But if it’s the same again. I’m done with the sleeper. Just pay for a hotel and flight back. No point paying for a irritable night and having to have a shower to rid yourself of the lingering itch .

Established Member
As I explained upthread, the rough surfaced bedding was replaced 6-9 months ago and a material somewhere between it and the original fine cotton used by Serco when they took over the sleeper first, is used now.

Mingulay

As I explained upthread, the rough surfaced bedding was replaced 6-9 months ago and a material somewhere between it and the original fine cotton used by Serco when they took over the sleeper first, is used now.

I wonder why CS could not have informed or replied? But good news if it’s sorted. Make a huge difference to many.

Established Member
Goodness only knows, their customer service can be a bit hit and miss - I get the impression that they have a huge backlog and sometimes things have to be chased before you get a proper answer.

My statement on the bedding is based on what I've been told by two or three ultra regulars on the Highlander, I don't use the sleeper much myself, although strangely they never reported anything other than a rough surface, I don't remember any complaints of itching.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Going a bit off topic but I'm curious what the thinking is on why the megabus sleepers didn't really work (not that I'd ever be tempted to use one myself).

Did they find they couldn't undercut the sleeper prices by enough?

I personally used it and found it to be fine, though the bunks were a little small I actually slept as reasonably as I might expect.

I think the problem was that, like poshed-up 2+1 coaches, there isn't much of a market there. People would prefer the seated Sleeper to it (because people prefer trains to buses, however nice the buses), or would fly easyJet/Ryanair instead of going overnight, leaving coach only with the bottom of the market which isn't sensitive to anything other than price.

route101

Established Member
I personally used it and found it to be fine, though the bunks were a little small I actually slept as reasonably as I might expect.

I think the problem was that, like poshed-up 2+1 coaches, there isn't much of a market there. People would prefer the seated Sleeper to it (because people prefer trains to buses, however nice the buses), or would fly easyJet/Ryanair instead of going overnight, leaving coach only with the bottom of the market which isn't sensitive to anything other than price.

The megabus sleepers were usually cheaper than the sleeper , i think around £40 was max cost . I got a £1 fare for the megabus sleeper , was the original bendy bus with cubby hole beds . I never tried the newer gold coaches , seemed to have a strange layout where some hammocks were right above others .
The overnight coach market between Glasgow/Edinburgh to London is at the bottom of the market for sure . For people that wont/cant fly and priced off the trains .

BRX

Established Member
I got the impression that it's something in the fabric, like what they clean it with, rather than the fabric itself. Because the irritation continued the day after, not just while in the bunk.

Essexman

Established Member
Aberdeen southbound delayed by issue on Tay Bridge tonight. I assume it will be diverted via Perth if necessary. I'm on the Inverness portion. Is there a set time for which the train will wait at Edinburgh if one of the portions is delayed?

Highlandspring

Established Member
The man threatening to jump off the Tay Bridge has been removed and 1B16 has run as booked (it departed Dundee 11” late) so you should be fine.

Mingulay

I got the impression that it's something in the fabric, like what they clean it with, rather than the fabric itself. Because the irritation continued the day after, not just while in the bunk.

That may well be reason. I found as do my colleagues. A shower tends to get rid of whatever it is. Fibres or chemical. But as it affects 3 out of 6 of us that use the sleeper. Then it’s clearly not that uncommon. I will report back when I next use the sleeper later this year. But if it’s no different I’m not risking another I’m a celebrity bush tucker trial! That will be my last sleeper journey

Essexman

Established Member
Arrived into Euston on time - just as Inspector Sands did actually.
92033 from Edinburgh.
Good trip -
Sleeper to Aviemore, met family there, Strathspey Railway, overnight in Perth, meeting in Glasgow, train to Pitlochry, climbed Ben Vrachie, sleeper home. You can do a lot in two full days using the sleeper.

TimboM

Established Member
Highlander 108 late into Euston today. Signalling problems in Edinburgh apparently. Was 144 late off Waverley
Almost - was at Yoker impacting the Fort Bill portion. Frazzled rodent in the junction box taking out the 650v lineside supply or something like that.

route101

Established Member
Was looking at a old High Speed Services timetable from 2002 , i think due to engineering work on some Fridays , the lowlander departed Glasgow/Edinburgh at around 8pm and got into Euston around 3 or 4am . Yikes thats early

Gonzoiku

I haven't seen anything here regarding the new fares to be introduced with the new stock. The Man in Seat61 has been briefed, here: https://www.seat61.com/CaledonianSleepers.htm

You will need to look down the page past the existing fares, to see that Classic room will be sold from £140 sole, £170 twin.

Better than I had expected, but nevertheless I have not bought what would have been my seventh Flexipass, given CS new-found approach to bustitution being an adequate substitute for a berth.
GZ

TimboM

Established Member
I haven't seen anything here regarding the new fares to be introduced with the new stock. The Man in Seat61 has been briefed, here: https://www.seat61.com/CaledonianSleepers.htm

You will need to look down the page past the existing fares, to see that Classic room will be sold from £140 sole, £170 twin.

Better than I had expected, but nevertheless I have not bought what would have been my seventh Flexipass, given CS new-found approach to bustitution being an adequate substitute for a berth.
GZ
The new fares were announced a while back at the time the Mk5s were allegedly going to start in April - there was a lot of discussion on here about them... scroll back a "few" (many many) pages and you might find it ;)

Pretty sure you can also find the prices by making a (dummy) Lowlander booking anytime after the proposed Mk5 start date in late October.

Not sure if using Search on this thread will throw up anything of note on the topic. They are what they are though - and time will tell if they've been pitched too high as ultimately if the price/volume sales mix isn't driving the maximum revenue it should (in theory) be adjusted until it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.