• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SideshowBob

Yes. It's much easier when you live in Pollockshields. It wins hands down over getting to Dalmuir when we all know the train even stops at Queen Street. Absurd, why can't you get on the train in Queen Street?

Suspect it's to make sure there's enough room for everyone who wants to travel overnight between Glasgow and London. Rather than trying to get all the Glasgow passengers onto an already loaded train, give them a separate one so that there's enough room for everyone at all times, and make sure the rules about where you can/can't board are clear to avoid any confusion.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highland37

Established Member
Really? Taxi to the airport for £15 direct from your door or taxi to Dalmuir (£25) to get on a train that is going back in the direction you have just come from and stops where you wanted to get on but wont let you. It's easy to get into central London from most airports and it isn't central London we are going to anyway.

SideshowBob

Really? Taxi to the airport for £15 direct from your door or taxi to Dalmuir (£25) to get on a train that is going back in the direction you have just come from and stops where you wanted to get on but wont let you. It's easy to get into central London from most airports and it isn't central London we are going to anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there an Underground station in or near Pollockshields from where you can travel into town, to then take a train to Dalmuir, all for a lot less than £25?

Altnabreac

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there an Underground station in or near Pollockshields from where you can travel into town, to then take a train to Dalmuir, all for a lot less than £25?

Assuming that Highland37 means Pollokshields (there is no such place as Pollockshields) then there are at least 5 stations close to the area all of which are linked to Glasgow Central. If you want to get the Sleeper with heavy luggage then the two easiest options are going to be to go direct from Glasgow Central or to change at Central for a direct train to Dalmuir.

Wheeling your luggage across town to Glasgow Queen Street is likely to be more effort than going to Dalmuir I'd imagine?

alistairlees

Established Member
Because I want to travel from Fort William to Glasgow? Or, the timings of the train work better or you are meeting friends.
I think you've missed the point. You can travel from Fort William to Glasgow on the 19.50 Sleeper from FTW. And you can do the reverse on the 05.38 (or whatever time) sleeper from Glasgow to Fort William. So it provides an extra day time return service, in addition to ScotRail.

SideshowBob

Assuming that Highland37 means Pollokshields (there is no such place as Pollockshields) then there are at least 5 stations close to the area all of which are linked to Glasgow Central. If you want to get the Sleeper with heavy luggage then the two easiest options are going to be to go direct from Glasgow Central or to change at Central for a direct train to Dalmuir.

Wheeling your luggage across town to Glasgow Queen Street is likely to be more effort than going to Dalmuir I'd imagine?

I'd have thought so too! In this situation, if you particularly need or want to travel on the same train, rendezvous at Dalmuir. If not, then take the Lowlander to Euston and go and get breakfast and/or a coffee at any one of the numerous outlets for doing so either in or just outside Euston station while you wait 40 mins or so for the Highlander to arrive. *shrug*

InOban

Established Member
But you can travel from FW to Glasgow. As you say yourself, you can get off.

gordonjahn

Yes. It's much easier when you live in Pollockshields. It wins hands down over getting to Dalmuir when we all know the train even stops at Queen Street. Absurd, why can't you get on the train in Queen Street?

Not sure you've been at the airport at 0645 when both BA and Easyjet have departures to London Gatwick - it's more common than you might think for people to show up at the wrong gate having glanced at the screens for the 0645 to Gatwick. If CS accept bookings from either Glasgow station to Euston they then have to deal with those people who end up in the wrong station at the wrong time.

Depending on the error the customer makes, it's a quick dash to the other station, or they've missed the train - and the customer will blame CS. It's far less error-prone to just have one departure from Glasgow so the timetable search only shows one sleeper departure from "Glasgow (All Stations)" to Euston. Exactly the same argument applies to Edinburgh too.

SideshowBob

Not sure you've been at the airport at 0645 when both BA and Easyjet have departures to London Gatwick - it's more common than you might think for people to show up at the wrong gate having glanced at the screens for the 0645 to Gatwick. If CS accept bookings from either Glasgow station to Euston they then have to deal with those people who end up in the wrong station at the wrong time.

Depending on the error the customer makes, it's a quick dash to the other station, or they've missed the train - and the customer will blame CS. It's far less error-prone to just have one departure from Glasgow so the timetable search only shows one sleeper departure from "Glasgow (All Stations)" to Euston. Exactly the same argument applies to Edinburgh too.

The CS website only offers Watford Junction or Euston as possible destinations if you select Glasgow as your departure point - admittedly it doesn't specify which Glasgow station. You'd need to buy an ordinary day ticket to use the sleeper to travel between Queen St and Fort William in either direction, which AFAIK you can do through any TOC website or telesales number.

In general though, I don't see how the situation you describe differs greatly from that whereby someone books an Advance single from, say, York to Kings Cross to travel on a specific LNER train, only to either get a train at a different time, or get on a Grand Central train, and therefore have to buy a whole new ticket. In your scenario, said passenger could make a fuss at the time and blame LNER, whose fault it would hardly be. It's a pretty common error, especially the incorrect departure time aspect of the situation, despite those TOCs which sell Advance tickets for their services being at pains to stress the rules and regs pertaining to Advance tickets.

gordonjahn

The CS website only offers Watford Junction or Euston as possible destinations if you select Glasgow as your departure point - admittedly it doesn't specify which Glasgow station. You'd need to buy an ordinary day ticket to use the sleeper to travel between Queen St and Fort William in either direction, which AFAIK you can do through any TOC website or telesales number.

In general though, I don't see how the situation you describe differs greatly from that whereby someone books an Advance single from, say, York to Kings Cross to travel on a specific LNER train, only to either get a train at a different time, or get on a Grand Central train, and therefore have to buy a whole new ticket. In your scenario, said passenger could make a fuss at the time and blame LNER, whose fault it would hardly be. It's a pretty common error, especially the incorrect departure time aspect of the situation, despite those TOCs which sell Advance tickets for their services being at pains to stress the rules and regs pertaining to Advance tickets.

You're quite correct - it's exactly that. The main difference is that whilst you can usually be accommodated on a day train with hundreds of seats, CS trains are reservation only with 10s of berths and seats - if you're on the wrong train it's entirely possible that there's no where for you to go without impacting on someone else's journey.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd have thought so too! In this situation, if you particularly need or want to travel on the same train, rendezvous at Dalmuir. If not, then take the Lowlander to Euston and go and get breakfast and/or a coffee at any one of the numerous outlets for doing so either in or just outside Euston station while you wait 40 mins or so for the Highlander to arrive. *shrug*

I do see his point, but more importantly blocking up seats and berths on the short FW portion for Glasgow passengers wouldn't make sense.

OK, you can't get off the Lowlander at Preston/Crewe at some Godforesaken hour, but that really is a niche market, the vast majority are to/from London, and those who aren't can probably cope with getting to Dalmuir.

SideshowBob

I do see his point, but more importantly blocking up seats and berths on the short FW portion for Glasgow passengers wouldn't make sense.

OK, you can't get off the Lowlander at Preston/Crewe at some Godforesaken hour, but that really is a niche market, the vast majority are to/from London, and those who aren't can probably cope with getting to Dalmuir.

Absolutely.

As it happens, I personally have yet to start a sleeper journey to Scotland from anywhere other than Preston! :D It works for people starting from places like Leeds, Manchester, Lancaster and Blackpool but you're quite right - there isn't a huge amount of demand. Furthermore, given both the unattractive thought of having to be up in time to alight at 04:30 heading south, and the fact of the fare to Preston, Crewe and Euston being the same, staying on to London and heading back north on an Advance single certainly strikes me as the more civilised travel plan (which is why I did exactly that last night/this morning)!

EDIT to add: One thing I have noticed about getting the CS from Preston is that one always* gets a standard class twin cabin to oneself. Whether that's just serendipity, or CS policy in order to avoid them getting a complaint from a cabin-mate being rudely awoken at 01:00, I don't know...? Either way, it's a good thing IMO! :)

*touch wood

Last edited:

Highland37

Established Member
I think a lot of you are missing the point.

My relatives aren't interested in trains. It's getting from A to B they want and they don't care about Easyjet either.

Now, you can see my point. They can either get a taxi to Glasgow Airport and get on a plane which will probably be cheaper and less hassle.

Or they can get the Lowland sleeper and meet me there. They would get a taxi to Central.

Or, they could do the journey being suggested here which is get taxi from Matilda Road to Shields Road subway, get off at Buchanan Street, next to Queen Street, get train out to Dalmuir (7 stops?), get on the FW train to London to travel back through the place they have just come from?

Why would they do that when it is a lot more hassle and a lot more expensive?

I am getting the FW sleeper regardless so can meet them there.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
What about passengers who may be travelling from Glasgow to Preston or Crewe?

Not everybody who uses (or may consider using) the Fort William portion will necessarily be travelling all the way to London though.

Perhaps passengers for Preston and Crewe could book on the Fort William portion from Queen Street, but not London?

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
I wonder how many people use the Dalmuir call going to and from London , id imagine more people are going to and from Fort William . Does the sleeper still call at Carlisle ?

Caleb2010

It doesn't pick up southbound or set down northbound at Glasgow Queen Street for the same reasons the three portions of the Highlander don't pick up/set down in Edinburgh when splitting! The service is for through passengers. Those two cities have their own Sleeper service

The portion for Fort William forms a stopping service from Queen Street in the morning (Sunday's excepted) and to Queen Street in the evening (Saturday's excepted).

Simple!

If you wish to travel from Glasgow to London there is a dedicated service from Central. The Fort William service is Not a Glasgow Sleeper service!!

SideshowBob

They can either get a taxi to Glasgow Airport and get on a plane which will probably be cheaper and less hassle.

Depends on your point of view. Personally, getting to and from the airports at either end (possibly a long way from where I actually want to be), having to be at the airport hours before the flight, checking in, getting through security, being restricted in what size water bottle you can carry on, checking luggage weight is within allowances, waiting at baggage reclaim, etc, etc, etc......it's a "no" from me.

Alternative plan: book the train, basically take as much stuff as I want/can physically carry, travel in all likelihood a much shorter distance to the station than to any airport, get on the train within a few minutes of arriving at the station, sit back and relax, pay a smaller mark-up for food and drink (or just take my own, again as much as I want), know that I'll ultimately be taxied to my final destination almost certainly with very little fuss in the event of a severe delay, also knowing that the delay repay process is also pretty straightforward....if you (or your relatives) still think flying is less hassle, fair enough - crack on.

Or they can get the Lowland sleeper and meet me there. They would get a taxi to Central.

Or, they could do the journey being suggested here which is get taxi from Matilda Road to Shields Road subway, get off at Buchanan Street, next to Queen Street, get train out to Dalmuir (7 stops?), get on the FW train to London to travel back through the place they have just come from?

Why would they do that when it is a lot more hassle and a lot more expensive?

If that's genuinely more expensive overall than the £25 you quoted earlier, then fine. I don't know what the taxi fare from your relatives' house to the nearest Subway station might be, and I'm not being funny with you here, but if that plus the Subway fare p/p into town plus the £3.70 p/p (assuming no Railcards) for the train from Queen St to Dalmuir comes to £25 or more, I'd be very surprised.

And it depends how much they want to accompany you on the train, I s'pose. Also depends on whether they care all that much about adding approximately 30-45 minutes to their overall journey, assuming they were planning on going into the centre of Glasgow to catch the Lowlander sleeper anyway, and bearing in mind that the journey back from Dalmuir to Glasgow before proceeding on down to London would be shared with you (which I assume they want), and which could be augmented with a hot meal and/or a cold drink (beer, whisky, whatever).

I am getting the FW sleeper regardless so can meet them there.

Knock yourself out, mate. Ultimately, it was just a suggestion. I'm fed up with your unnecessary hostility and rudeness. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
Don’t think it was
It definitely was on 1S25 on Thursday night. Stepped up from planned ECS shunt duties after 033 decided it would like a breather.

014 worked 1M16 Fri night, then received some attention at Wembley over the weekend, before working 1S25 last night.

Far north 37

Established Member
Don’t think it was
Absolutely certain 92010 was on the blocks of the highlander stock at euston thursday night so that would of worked the lowlander then seen it reported in several other places that 92014 worked the highlander last thursday night.

Ianmel1969

Does anybody know roughly how many 1st class passengers would be on my sleeper train if it has been sold out. I am going to Fort William on Friday from Euston. Just wondering how they sort out the logistics of serving people breakfast in the dining car?

Far north 37

Established Member
It definitely was on 1S25 on Thursday night. Stepped up from planned ECS shunt duties after 033 decided it would like a breather.

014 worked 1M16 Fri night, then received some attention at Wembley over the weekend, before working 1S25 last night.
Has the maintenance already swapped over to wembley from willesden tim.

TimboM

Established Member
Does anybody know roughly how many 1st class passengers would be on my sleeper train if it has been sold out. I am going to Fort William on Friday from Euston. Just wondering how they sort out the logistics of serving people breakfast in the dining car?
Assuming you are also First Class, you get a form/card to fill in when you board where you select your choice and preferred time of eating brekkie. You then turn up to the lounge at the allotted time and one of the host shows you to your table which will have place-card with your name(s) / berth (s) on.

Note the FTW portion is max 4 sleeper cars, so the numbers of first class passengers on that portion will be less than the max to Inverness, Edinburgh or Glasgow.

I recently went on a full Load 6 (4 Sleepers) Fri night service to Fort Bill and there were no issues with getting seated for either dinner or brekkie (I pre-booked the dinner online).

Clip

Established Member
seemed to be sat at preston this morning as i passed through. very late indeed

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Why the change?

See the follwing GBRf Press realease dated 17th April:

http://www.gbrailfreight.com/media-centre/news-releases/

GBRf awards Alstom maintenance contract for Caledonian Sleeper Class 92 locomotives from Wembley depot
Alstom has been chosen to provide maintenance support for the Class 92 locomotives that pull the carriages of the Class 92 Caledonian Sleeper service. The locomotives will be maintained at the Alstom Wembley Depot for the next twelve years starting this year, in a contract worth around £15 million.

Alstom will provide full maintenance support for 12 Class 92 locomotives securing employment for a production team of 5 plus a number of support roles at their Wembley Depot.

This new long-term contract, awarded by GB Railfreight (GBRf), will see Alstom expanding their existing portfolio from coach maintenance to managing the maintenance of both carriages and locomotives for the Caledonian Sleeper services. This will continue once the new Sleeper carriages are introduced later this year, streamlining processes and simplifying logistics by providing Serco and GBRf a one-stop shop for maintenance of the entire train.

“It is important the Caledonian Sleeper services are well maintained so that guests can continue to enjoy a highly reliable service and all the benefits the trains offer. Our new contract with GBRf will mean we are responsible for the entire train, delivering seamless maintenance of both locomotives and coaches. It also secures important jobs at our Wembley depot, which is a key train care centre in Alstom’s UK network.” said Nick Crossfield, Managing Director, Alstom UK & Ireland

John Smith, Managing Director of GBRf commented: “The new Caledonian Sleeper service will be a world class journey experience, and the performance of the locomotives is clearly of the highest importance to delivering this service for passengers. We are delighted Alstom will be maintaining the fleet and supporting the delivery of this service.”

David Simpson, Caledonian Sleeper’s Production and Safety Director, said “We welcome this positive news which sees our key partners Alstom and GBRf working even closer together to help us provide a high quality service for our guests. Our service will be transformed later this year with the introduction of a new fleet of sleeper coaches, and this will help to deliver the highest standards of maintenance on our locomotives and coaches.”

ENDS

Ianmel1969

Assuming you are also First Class, you get a form/card to fill in when you board where you select your choice and preferred time of eating brekkie. You then turn up to the lounge at the allotted time and one of the host shows you to your table which will have place-card with your name(s) / berth (s) on.

Note the FTW portion is max 4 sleeper cars, so the numbers of first class passengers on that portion will be less than the max to Inverness, Edinburgh or Glasgow.

I recently went on a full Load 6 (4 Sleepers) Fri night service to Fort Bill and there were no issues with getting seated for either dinner or brekkie (I pre-booked the dinner online).
Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.