• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Given that things seem to be getting pretty bad with the Mk2s, would it perhaps make sense, as we move into the quieter season, to shorten the trains by a sleeper coach each and stick a Mk3 FO in for the passengers instead? (The Mk2 could remain for guard use)

Won’t happen and there’s many reasons why.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

haggishunter

How come is the local football team called "Elgin City FC"?

Royal Burgh and Cathedral City, but legal status of a city is granted by letters patent as was the case of Inverness in 2000. Going with the honorific Catherdal title you have the City and Royal Burgh of Dornoch! :lol:

GW43125

Established Member
Could you please translate?

It is forum policy not to use abbreviations or acronyms without first saying what they mean.

RLO- Restaurant lounge open-lounge car
BUO-brake unclassified open-seated car

Tom m

I travelled on the southbound highlander yesterday arriving today. Was not overly impressed with the provisions to be honest, text in the morning to say there would be no hot food, no problems as I eat before I got on, the message said breakfast was unaffected. I Was greeted with a wake up to say my choice of breakfast was not available, despite having ordered it months ago with my ticket purchase and to top it off the tea and coffee was a cup of hot water and a make it yourself afair.

Really not what I expected of what is effectivly a premium service

Edited to correct spelling mistake

Last edited:

marks87

Established Member
...and to top it off the tea and coffee was a cup of hot water and a make it yourself afair.

Not really sure I see the problem with that.

If you're someone who drinks both, it means you don't need to decide in advance which you want. But even if you only drink one or the other, you have the option to make it as strong or weak as you like.

Tom m

Why offer the choice of different drinks then if all I am getting is a cup of hot water to make it myself.

Highlandspring

Established Member
If it's any consolation its the same on the Night Riviera, along with horrible room temperature UHT milk cartons.

TimboM

Established Member
Are some of them going to lose their jobs when the new stock comes in? As presumably the new couplings need less manual intervention.
You'd think they would, but in practice there's still plenty to do... the ETS load on the Mk5s is too high to go through the Dellner, so the ETS cables still need disconnecting/connecting - there's also two sets of them from what I understand. One for power and one for all the controls (doors, PA etc.)

The shunts at Carstairs and Edinburgh (as you know) involve reversing a train on to another at various points during the night - this will still need staff to supervise / advise the driver when to slow/stop etc. The Dellner coupling speed has to be below 1.5 mph; so arguably there'll be more onus on shunters to assist with the process to help ensure these tight parameters are adhered to.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not really sure I see the problem with that.

If you're someone who drinks both, it means you don't need to decide in advance which you want. But even if you only drink one or the other, you have the option to make it as strong or weak as you like.

Instant coffee is not a premium thing, even Azera etc. Premium coffee would be espresso-based, or served in a quality cafetiere (i.e. an actual Bodum).

As for tea, on a premium service that should be served in a pot.

BRX

Established Member
You'd think they would, but in practice there's still plenty to do... the ETS load on the Mk5s is too high to go through the Dellner, so the ETS cables still need disconnecting/connecting - there's also two sets of them from what I understand. One for power and one for all the controls (doors, PA etc.)

The shunts at Carstairs and Edinburgh (as you know) involve reversing a train on to another at various points during the night - this will still need staff to supervise / advise the driver when to slow/stop etc. The Dellner coupling speed has to be below 1.5 mph; so arguably there'll be more onus on shunters to assist with the process to help ensure these tight parameters are adhered to.
I was wondering whether the onboard staff could take on these roles, if heavy manual work/getting dirty/climbing on the track is no longer part of the process. Although, I think we previously speculated that connecting the cables can't be done from platform level, so it will still need people on the tracks, and I guess there needs to be someone on hand to sort things out when stuff doesn't work properly.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Instant coffee is not a premium thing, even Azera etc. Premium coffee would be espresso-based, or served in a quality cafetiere (i.e. an actual Bodum).

As for tea, on a premium service that should be served in a pot.
I'm sure when I have used the sleeper than tea and coffee has been served to me in a pot.
Sam

Scotrail84

Established Member
I was wondering whether the onboard staff could take on these roles, if heavy manual work/getting dirty/climbing on the track is no longer part of the process. Although, I think we previously speculated that connecting the cables can't be done from platform level, so it will still need people on the tracks, and I guess there needs to be someone on hand to sort things out when stuff doesn't work properly.

Are you wanting shunters made redundant? Brake tests still need to done as well as the Delner coupling on the locos need raised and lowered as per requirements, there are more than 1 jumper cable to connect.

cf111

Established Member
I'm sure when I have used the sleeper than tea and coffee has been served to me in a pot.
Sam
I've always had the hot water in the pot with the teabag/coffee in the packet. It doesn't put me up or down to be honest.

BRX

Established Member
Are you wanting shunters made redundant? Brake tests still need to done as well as the Delner coupling on the locos need raised and lowered as per requirements, there are more than 1 jumper cable to connect.
I don't want anyone made redundant - but had assumed that part of the reason for going for the automatic couplings might be to reduce in the longer term the number of staff required to operate the service. It doesn't sound like that's really going to be the case though.

What I'd really like to see would be for the sleepers to become more popular, carry more passengers and maybe even expand the operation to employ *more* people than they do now. Whilst I have my scepticisms about the new stock and don't want the service to turn into a luxury only operation, perhaps the introduction of the new stock and hopefully more attractive service is going to be well timed to take advantage of what seems to be a bit of a boom in Scottish tourism.

TimboM

Established Member
92 044 has run in 0Z11 from Mossend to Polmadie earlier and on 1M11 out of Central tonight.

Last edited:

Harbon 1

I'm booking for next week and the website states "Ticket vending machines at stations may have problems printing our tickets". I've read this is due to a new design being introduced. I'm not a fan of e-tickets and like having all my tickets in one place, so would collecting from the TVM at Euston on the night navigate around this, rather than chancing getting them from my local station?

Does anyone have any idea yet when the skip off the INV portion will be given back yet or is it there until the MK5 are in traffic, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.