• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm booking for next week and the website states "Ticket vending machines at stations may have problems printing our tickets". I've read this is due to a new design being introduced. I'm not a fan of e-tickets and like having all my tickets in one place, so would collecting from the TVM at Euston on the night navigate around this, rather than chancing getting them from my local station?
I'm not 100% but if your local station has a ticket office they would be much more likely to be able to print off the ticket with everything on it than the TVM, plus if anything does go wrong you have got a member of staff there and then to attempt to put it right.
Sam

TimboM

Established Member
Late alteration

1S25 now 92 044

033 brought the 5S95 empties in so I suspect that will be for 1S26
028's non-appearance was due to it being snookered between the red and the grey in Wembley Loco Holding Sidings: https://flic.kr/p/29GHHCy (not mine)

(DB had given it a lift from Dollands Moor on 0B08 early hours of Wednesday along with 92 042 and 92 041 which were heading to Crewe IEMD via Wembley (towed by 67 021). 028 ended up between the two DB engines, and as the DB 92s are not able to move on NR metals under their own power these days, 028 was stuck until 042 was moved off this evening and taken to Crewe. That was too late for tonight's service, though.)

Last edited:

LeylandLen

I'm booking for next week and the website states "Ticket vending machines at stations may have problems printing our tickets". I've read this is due to a new design being introduced. I'm not a fan of e-tickets and like having all my tickets in one place, so would collecting from the TVM at Euston on the night navigate around this, rather than chancing getting them from my local station?

Yes Ive found from previous experience , with Virgin WC , that it doesnt matter which station you have said you that you will collect tickets from , you can collect tickets from any TVM. Cant guarantee that of course.Ive used a TVM at a Northern station for Virgin Tickets,having indicated I would collect the tickets from Preston.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Yes Ive found from previous experience , with Virgin WC , that it doesnt matter which station you have said you that you will collect tickets from , you can collect tickets from any TVM. Cant guarantee that of course.Ive used a TVM at a Northern station for Virgin Tickets,having indicated I would collect the tickets from Preston.
When you select what station you want to pick up your tickets from it appears to be little more than just a formality and you can pick up your tickets from any ticket machine.
Sam

JModulo

Anyone know what the issue was with 1S25 at Crewe last night? Seemed to sit for around 30 minutes. Heard it was an issue with an Mk2. Can anyone confirm?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Anyone know what the issue was with 1S25 at Crewe last night? Seemed to sit for around 30 minutes. Heard it was an issue with an Mk2. Can anyone confirm?

Yes apparently an issue with the one of the seating coaches - delay while they found berths for everyone.

TimboM

Established Member
Yes apparently an issue with the one of the seating coaches - delay while they found berths for everyone.
All was good at the business end :D https://flic.kr/p/2aJbFdd

But, yes, there was a transfer of passengers further mid-way down the train and a Mk2 (ABD seats I think) in darkness as the train left. 25L having arrived 5E at Crewe, but had recovered that by Edinburgh.

Scotrail84

Established Member

All was good at the business end :D https://flic.kr/p/2aJbFdd

But, yes, there was a transfer of passengers further mid-way down the train and a Mk2 (ABD seats I think) in darkness as the train left. 25L having arrived 5E at Crewe, but had recovered that by Edinburgh.

Another seated coach having issues shocker :lol:

All incorrect but thank you for playing. Next please!

Journeyman

Established Member
When you select what station you want to pick up your tickets from it appears to be little more than just a formality and you can pick up your tickets from any ticket machine.
Sam

I think the reason it asks you to select is simply to ensure that you end up going to a station with a suitable machine, but I've usually found you can use any machine, from about two hours after you make the booking.

marks87

Established Member
I think the reason it asks you to select is simply to ensure that you end up going to a station with a suitable machine, but I've usually found you can use any machine, from about two hours after you make the booking.

You can also use any card as well; it doesn’t have to be the one used to purchase the tickets. Its purpose is just to activate the machine.

Harbon 1

That’s the impression I got. Played it safe and stopped being picky and used the e-ticket :lol:

Wouldn’t trust an EMT machine to correctly print a sleeper ticket!

Journeyman

Established Member
You can also use any card as well; it doesn’t have to be the one used to purchase the tickets. Its purpose is just to activate the machine.

That's how my company arranges to distribute train tickets for staff travelling to other offices. We just get emailed the booking code and are told to use our own card to pick things up.

GW43125

Established Member

I’ve had SWR machines get arsey about which card I use lately.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

ScotRail mahcines are configured like this, but most (all?) other TOCs in my experience require the card used for the booking.

swapmeetpete

ScotRail mahcines are configured like this, but most (all?) other TOCs in my experience require the card used for the booking.

I think the ‘right card’ requirement varies between TOCs and is under their control. I once had to collect a sleeper ticket without the correct card. It refused me. When I phoned they simply removed the requirement and two minutes later I got the ticket using a different card. Interesting eh?

route101

Established Member
There was a MK2 and something else ( could not see ) between platforms 16 and 17 at Edinburgh yesterday , ive seen a 92 there before .

cf111

Established Member
I think it depends on the site used for booking rather than who operates the machine. I can pick up a ticket bought on the ScotRail website from a ScotRail machine using any card but if I want to pick up an LNER ticket from the same machine I need to use the card I paid for the ticket with.

Last edited:

Scotrail84

Established Member
There was a MK2 and something else ( could not see ) between platforms 16 and 17 at Edinburgh yesterday , ive seen a 92 there before .

Lounge car 6706 was shunted out of 1S25 (Inv portion) at Edinburgh on the Friday morning due to a defect, it was supposed to have been transported back to Polmadie in the early hours of Saturday morning. It would have been a 73 on top of it.

EDIT. Showing up on traksy as a 5Z11 still in the mid road at Waverley. No idea why its still there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think it depends on the site used for booking rather than who operates the machine. I can pick up a ticket bought on the ScotRail website from a ScotRail machine using any card but if I want to pick up an LNER ticket from the same machine I need to use the card I paid for the ticket.

Correct. It may also depend on the method of payment, e.g. a PayPal booking will always be "any card" as the sales site doesn't get told the card number for a PayPal transaction - that's essentially the whole point of PayPal.

alistairlees

Established Member
That's not correct (as a few others have said). TVMs are not configured in any way regarding TOD collection (other than the function being present or not). It's the retailer that sets whether "same card" or "any card" collection is required; this is called the "Mailing List Indicator" and is a value set in Live Sales Management (the ToD database which TVMs are interrogating to retrieve the details of your ticket). This value can be overridden by the back office staff of the retailer (but not those of orger retailers) to allow "any card" collection when necessary. TVMs are dumb with respect to ToD collection, in other words.

JohnMcL7

I'm possibly misunderstanding how the sleeper works as I was surprised to see a 67 and what looked like a full rake of sleeper carriages sitting by Inverness maintenance depot just after midnight last night, I assumed the 67 went to Edinburgh, had its carriages detached and then picked up the London ones to bring up to Inverness but I guess that must be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.