• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Got my first seated sleeper experience this friday from Glasgow to London , noticed when booking there was 2 seated coaches of which to select seats , hardly anything booked by seat map so hopefully its quiet . Is the buffet in the seated coach?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Got my first seated sleeper experience this friday from Glasgow to London , noticed when booking there was 2 seated coaches of which to select seats , hardly anything booked by seat map so hopefully its quiet . Is the buffet in the seated coach?
No, the lounge car is the next one along.

applepie2100

I take it that CS are still using Rivera hire in's for seated and lounge cars? The late running Fort William portion has passed me a couple of times in the last couple of weeks and both times it's been Virgin liveried seated and lounge cars on the back.

Coolzac

I take it that CS are still using Rivera hire in's for seated and lounge cars? The late running Fort William portion has passed me a couple of times in the last couple of weeks and both times it's been Virgin liveried seated and lounge cars on the back.

I travelled on 20th/21st December and they were using the Virgin coaches then. I thought they might be sweating all the old assets to the bone before the new sleeper trains arrive in a couple of years!

Airline Man

Is there any more news on what the new Sleeper carriages are going to look like?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What are the busiest destinations for the Caledonian Sleeper, excluding London and on what destination are the First Class loads the highest?

Julian G

Established Member
FL Grey 90+FL new livery 90+87 passed Camden Jn at 1730 on 0A25 Willesden-Euston.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Is there any more news on what the new Sleeper carriages are going to look like?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What are the busiest destinations for the Caledonian Sleeper, excluding London and on what destination are the First Class loads the highest?

From conversations with Scotrail chaps - the Aberdeen service was a good earner back in the day....

Julian G

Established Member
Ooh, thanks for posting that. 002 allocated 5S25 so might have to wander back to the Cross for a phot later

Appears that 87002+90049 left 90048 at Euston Middle Siding and worked as 0S95 to Wembley. In the end it was 86101 taking the Highland to King's X and 87002 taking the Lowland to Euston.

LeylandLen

So what happened to last nights Highland Sleeper 2120 from Kings Cross? It disappears from RTT at Sandy, Beds at 2156 , the Aberdeen portion reappears arriving Aberdeen 0747 6 mins late ?

route101

Established Member
Took seated sleeper from Glasgow to London Euston on friday night , train was 14 coaches long i think and was diverted via GSW with two class 47s on the front .
Train had 2 lounge cars and were busy with people eating even in Glasgow Central ! Train had 2 sseated cars though it looked like coach h was out of use leaving coach A the sole seated carriage at the very rear of the train .
Train takes around same time via the GSW as it does via carstairs !!
Interesting someone got off at Carlisle and Preston from our carriage . After Preston i felt the speed a lot more and the sway with being in last carriage .

Does the lounge car open all night does it close at a certain time?

Mainliner

Last time I used the up Lowland about 6 weeks ago, the last 3 or 4 people in the lounge car, including myself, were asked to leave (can't remember exact time), between 2 & 3am I think.

leomartin125

Took seated sleeper from Glasgow to London Euston on friday night , train was 14 coaches long i think and was diverted via GSW with two class 47s on the front .
Train had 2 lounge cars and were busy with people eating even in Glasgow Central ! Train had 2 sseated cars though it looked like coach h was out of use leaving coach A the sole seated carriage at the very rear of the train .
Train takes around same time via the GSW as it does via carstairs !!
Interesting someone got off at Carlisle and Preston from our carriage . After Preston i felt the speed a lot more and the sway with being in last carriage .

Does the lounge car open all night does it close at a certain time?

The lounge car is available all night long, all the way to Euston. CS are using 47's to haul the Glasgow to Carlisle stretch of the journey, with a change of traction to 90 usually at Carlisle. But with the derailment at Kilmarnock recently, that could have caused a lot of issue for sleeper services.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I've heard tales that on some nights it's been a 66+47 and there's been the odd incident on those night with upset bashers acting stupidly?

Established Member
The lounge car is available all night long, all the way to Euston.
Certainly can not be, depends entirely on whim of staff and if they want to get their head down. Roused around Carlisle going south nearly every time on M16 last year when I was on it for the seven. Thats when the barcars were actually in use and not "defect"...

The lounge car is available all night long, all the way to Euston. CS are using 47's to haul the Glasgow to Carlisle stretch of the journey, with a change of traction to 90 usually at Carlisle. But with the derailment at Kilmarnock recently, that could have caused a lot of issue for sleeper services.

Trains were back running on the GSW yesterday by 1500hrs. Was a very minor derailment at a set of points outside Kirkconnel signal box. So the sleeper would not have been affected.

CosherB

Established Member
Out of curiosity, and I'm sure Serco has had more important things to worry about, but how many of the Mk2 and Mk3 carriages have received the teal CS livery? Can't be that many?

scotsman

Established Member
Out of curiosity, and I'm sure Serco has had more important things to worry about, but how many of the Mk2 and Mk3 carriages have received the teal CS livery? Can't be that many?

Two. And it's part of their contract that a percentage will be reliveried by a certain date. Not certain of the percentage or the deadline, however.

CosherB

Established Member
Only two in 10 months?! So that'll be the two carriages prepared for the first Serco operated sleeper from Fort William on 31 March 2015. Makes me wonder why they are bothering at all. OK, 300 references to First and ScotRail have been removed from the carriages, but with the new Mk5s on the way, I'd have thought a more modest rebranding of the existing stock would have been in order.

fgwrich

Established Member
Only two in 10 months?! So that'll be the two carriages prepared for the first Serco operated sleeper from Fort William on 31 March 2015. Makes me wonder why they are bothering at all. OK, 300 references to First and ScotRail have been removed from the carriages, but with the new Mk5s on the way, I'd have thought a more modest rebranding of the existing stock would have been in order.

That reminds me, Serco have operated it for 10 months now. Have we actually heard any further news on these Mk5 carriages from CAF or not? There was, it seems, a rumor going round around Christmas time that Serco still hadn't ordered these, with the rumor citing the power supply vs what Features Serco wants to install in them. I'd have expected to have heard a little more since it's Serco's 'Flagship' operation - and with their reputation, something I'd expect them to try and impress with!

capital12

Two. And it's part of their contract that a percentage will be reliveried by a certain date. Not certain of the percentage or the deadline, however.

I think it's actually 4 - wasn't it the Fort Wiiliam set for launch day (or night!) so two sleepers plus a lounge car and seated coach?

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
There was, it seems, a rumor going round around Christmas time that Serco still hadn't ordered these.

Serco haven't ordered the new Sleeper coaches.

Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc through their Lombard North Central plc subsidiary, and the special purpose vehicle, Caledonian Sleepers Rail Leasing Limited have placed an order, valued at £136.8m. The lease agreement, which Serco has signed, runs through to 2030.

LeylandLen

I see that timings on RTT take the northbound Euston Glasgow on Fri Feb 26th over the direct WCML once again from Carlisle to Glasgow via Lamington whereas the southbound is operating as of now via Kilmarnock. Does this imply the WCML is being reopened a few days earlier than planned with maybe single line working?...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.