• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
Slightly separately, I'm in frequent touch with three of four Highlander regulars and none of them have reported the ghostly 'locked out' cabins in the mk3s. Does anyone know if these really exist? If they do then they aren't obvious since each coach is still numbered Rooms 1-12. I can't believe that they won't bring these into service at short notice subject to demand, why would they deny themselves the revenue six months ahead of the new trains starting service? Does anyone know what's going on with this?
I assume the locked out room is the extra one on the SLE vehicles? The SLEPs have a pantry in place of “room 13” and I assume the SLEDs have 12 rooms with the disabled room taking the space of two standard rooms?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gonzoiku

1M16 Highlander arrived 135 Late at Euston this morning due to OHLE issues in the Wigan area.

Presumably the same set left Euston on the northbound Highlander the same evening with the Inverness seated coach out of service. At a guess the passengers were accommodated in berths.

Same portion has terminated at Perth, with power problems (said to be no heating, and the hot water is definitely warm, with nothing on the USB sockets). Onward road transport due at 0610. Fingers crossed...

GZ

TimboM

Established Member
Presumably the same set left Euston on the northbound Highlander the same evening with the Inverness seated coach out of service. At a guess the passengers were accommodated in berths.

Same portion has terminated at Perth, with power problems (said to be no heating, and the hot water is definitely warm, with nothing on the USB sockets). Onward road transport due at 0610. Fingers crossed...

GZ
The southbound highlander usually forms the next night’s northbound Lowlander, so most likely a different set.

The major 1M16 delay yesterday was due to broken overhead wires at Golborne Jnc (near Wigan).

Gonzoiku

I guessed soon after I sent the message that would have been the case, TimboM, but in my defence, it was an unearthly hour!

Road transport duly turned up about 0620, and was on the road by the time the ECS left for Inverness, but it didn't go as smoothly as it has done in the past. 20 passengers in all, of which 1 for Kingussie and 5 for Aviemore. BUT we had to cater for the northbound day passengers, meaning we had to call also at Carrbridge for 1 passenger, as well as 1 who boarded at Kingussie. Result - arrival Inverness 0922, about 5 minutes after the ECS had arrived from Perth!

Last time it happened to me it was a taxi from Edinburgh, and it would have been far better this time to have arranged same for the passenger from Carrbridge, if not also the passenger from Kingussie - they could have avoided a 45 minute delay in departure, and the sleeper passengers could have avoided time consuming detours.

GZ

theironroad

Established Member
It was, but judging by recent comments/reply on their Twitter I think the upgrade needed to the systems has been delayed...

Anyone know if the berth selector issue is going to get sorted. I've just tried booking a lowland for this weekend and it just automatically generates a berth.

CS arent handling this transition well......

JModulo

Anyone know if the berth selector issue is going to get sorted. I've just tried booking a lowland for this weekend and it just automatically generates a berth.

CS arent handling this transition well......

I tried contacting them about this issue as I'm also travelling this weekend. Was told by customer services that all they could advise was just to book and hope that I would be able to "swap" berths on the night. They cant alter reservations apparently.

Gonzoiku

They cant alter reservations apparently.

Yes, but....

I think on all four of my trips in the past month the berth I was checked into was different from the berth I had booked (pre 25/2) or had been assigned (post 25/2)! In all cases the train was very lightly loaded, and in one of this week's trips, I understood that an entire carriage had not been fully "made up", presumably because of the light loading.

GZ

theironroad

Established Member
Yes, but....

I think on all four of my trips in the past month the berth I was checked into was different from the berth I had booked (pre 25/2) or had been assigned (post 25/2)! In all cases the train was very lightly loaded, and in one of this week's trips, I understood that an entire carriage had not been fully "made up", presumably because of the light loading.

GZ

If you were travelling standard, did you go from a situation of having the cabin to yourself to actually sharing?

It's been a while but this has happened to me before. Saves staff time having to prepare the carriage and also cleaning time the next morning as well. Conveniently, it also means the hosts don't have too walk so far to do the 'breakfast' run.

Makes a mockery of having the berth selector.

I've asked the question on twitter just now, as their previous reply to someone else seem to suggest it would be sorted last week.

Gonzoiku

No, Flexipass First - but your point about hosts not having to walk far has been admitted to me. By the hosts!

GZ

theironroad

Established Member
Well CS Twitter replied to say they don't know when the berth selector issue will be resolved but their IT are working on it!

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Intriguing evening on 1S26 so far - spent a goodly amount of time after Northampton coming to a halt in full brake; stopping; and starting again (presumably a brake issue) then sat at Colwich until 04:45 after what I take it was a loss of signalling. 1 lounge car with no heating, berth fire alarm going off every so often in a few coaches. Carstairs split has been canned as expected
Never mind, worse places to be of course

The Planner

Veteran Member
Complete loss of signalling during the night between Colwich and Armitage, not a good night and morning for the Trent Valley.

TimboM

Established Member
Intriguing evening on 1S26 so far - spent a goodly amount of time after Northampton coming to a halt in full brake; stopping; and starting again (presumably a brake issue) then sat at Colwich until 04:45 after what I take it was a loss of signalling. 1 lounge car with no heating, berth fire alarm going off every so often in a few coaches. Carstairs split has been canned as expected
Never mind, worse places to be of course
Sounds an "interesting" night/morning... perhaps the Northampton halt was an AWS application (faulty or otherwise)?

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Sounds an "interesting" night/morning... perhaps the Northampton halt was an AWS application (faulty or otherwise)?
Could well be; we were stopped at Daventry for a good long while so the driver might have been doing something with it. Nothing ended up isolated though; we were going too fast.
90016 was in charge if anyone's interested; with 86101 bringing the empties into Euston (didn't see what one was at Glasgow; sorry)

JModulo

On-board the sleeper tonight from Edinburgh. May have been mentioned but the berth number labels at the end of each coach have been replaced with "room" numbers, as has each individual door for the berths giving a coach 1 to 12. Far more paper would appear to be used aswell now instead of choosing breakfast (1st class) upon "check in" via a tablet, you have to fill out a label and hang it on your room door. There is also a "guide" for your room (bit late to introduce them?). 92018 on 1C11 for 90016 forward on 1M11.

Attachments

• 20180310_001736.jpg
    20180310_001736.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 167
  • 20180309_231308.jpg
    20180309_231308.jpg
    868.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 20180309_234651.jpg
    20180309_234651.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 167

leightonbd

On-board the sleeper tonight from Edinburgh. May have been mentioned but the berth number labels at the end of each coach have been replaced with "room" numbers, as has each individual door for the berths giving a coach 1 to 12. Far more paper would appear to be used aswell now instead of choosing breakfast (1st class) upon "check in" via a tablet, you have to fill out a label and hang it on your room door. There is also a "guide" for your room (bit late to introduce them?). 92018 on 1C11 for 90016 forward on 1M11.

Interesting changes. I suppose you could say the breakfast choice etc simplifies check-in and reduces the likelihood of queues building up on the platform waiting to board (or people going straight to cabin, with associated inconvenience for the host). Put another way, the host can get people on board quicker but then has to run around collecting breakfast choices later. You would hope this was based on their input? Or is it just a cheap way to begin making the sleeper ‘look like a hotel’ in anticipation of the new stock?

And surely breakfasts are preordered when booking? Or are the caterers able to whistle up 12 extra portions of haggis/ smoked salmon in the middle of the night, just like that?

gordonjahn

Interesting changes. I suppose you could say the breakfast choice etc simplifies check-in and reduces the likelihood of queues building up on the platform waiting to board (or people going straight to cabin, with associated inconvenience for the host). Put another way, the host can get people on board quicker but then has to run around collecting breakfast choices later. You would hope this was based on their input? Or is it just a cheap way to begin making the sleeper ‘look like a hotel’ in anticipation of the new stock?

And surely breakfasts are preordered when booking? Or are the caterers able to whistle up 12 extra portions of haggis/ smoked salmon in the middle of the night, just like that?

I thought the breakfasts were loaded en-route - Preston maybe? - so it's just a case of pulling the right amounts from stock after orders are gathered and phoned ahead

Established Member
I haven't experienced the new system myself, but I understand that they now board at originating stations by checking everyone through a single point at the head of the platform, which presumably needs several crew to carry out to avoid terrible queues - it'll be interesting to see whether this works or not. They're also supposed to be doing a preboard check in for Euston First Class lounge passengers, but I don't think that this is happening yet, that might help with queuing.

There are no hosts at the carriage doors any more, that's why they need the printed guide I suppose, you just go straight to your renumbered 'room' and fill out your breakfast order. You hang it on the door and they collect it after departure.

I further believe that there are now two crew members in both of the train's lounges ahead of departure so that they can speed up service at peak times of demand.

If it all works, then great. But knowing what a busy Euston Highlander boarding is like, I wish them well trying to funnel everyone through a single point...

boom boom

I boarded at Euston recently. It was the first night of the new system.I was on S26.I checked in at platform. I have to say there was a general air of confusion amongst the staff.
The breakfast menu was lying on my bunk. A shared standard berth.It said that a coffee was now £2.50. Previouly free. I asked a host I found,about this charge. She was unsure whether the breakfast coffee was free or not.
I did email CS to clarify this matter,but am still waiting on a reply.
I don’t know if anyone else has noticed this extra charge !!!!

pitdiver

Could someone please clarify the position regarding standard class passengers and catering on the Highland sleeper. Do I order it using the label and have it in my cabin or can I consume it in the Lounge car in the morning. I will be travelling up to Fort Bill. Then coming back a few days later on the Fort Bill to Euston service. I am not really concerned about dinner on either service as I can eat in London and Fort Bill but to have Breakfast on the train going up to FW would be nice particularly sitting in the Lounge car. I'm travelling in May so I don't envisage it being too busy.

Established Member
Could someone please clarify the position regarding standard class passengers and catering on the Highland sleeper. Do I order it using the label and have it in my cabin or can I consume it in the Lounge car in the morning. I will be travelling up to Fort Bill. Then coming back a few days later on the Fort Bill to Euston service. I am not really concerned about dinner on either service as I can eat in London and Fort Bill but to have Breakfast on the train going up to FW would be nice particularly sitting in the Lounge car. I'm travelling in May so I don't envisage it being too busy.
I can't see them stopping you from using the lounge so long as it isn't full of First Class passengers. Ask the host when you check in. Oh, wait a minute, there won't be a host when you check in...

To be serious, I'd just nip along to the lounge and have a conversation about it ahead of departure, they'll do their best to help if they can.

JModulo

Everytime Ive boarded Ive always been asked what I would like for breakfast despite selecting it when making the booking.

delt1c

Established Member
w
hat a change from the days of a proper resturaunt car attatched at queen St for the North bound Fort William service where you got one of the finest freshly cooked breakfasts on BR, OK you paid for it but was worth every penny. Not like the plastic available today. They call it progress I call it regress.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
w

hat a change from the days of a proper resturaunt car attatched at queen St for the North bound Fort William service where you got one of the finest freshly cooked breakfasts on BR, OK you paid for it but was worth every penny. Not like the plastic available today. They call it progress I call it regress.

That's why on a recent sleeper trip I headed straight for Spoons in Fort William on arrival (other breakfast selling outlets available) for a large Scottish Breakfast - I found the breakfast offering on the sleeper very poor as it was microwaved.

BRX

Established Member
Morissons cafe right round the corner from the station in fort william is also good for breakfast!

delt1c

Established Member
value for money yes, but cant compare with bygone times when you could leave your berth and enjoy a freshly cooked full breakfast whilst marveling the passing scenery. But trhat is the price we pay for progress

Status
Not open for further replies.