• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper Mk5 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimboM

Established Member
They would fall down well before that - the Mk5s have Scharfenberg couplers, not the traditional drawgear that the Mk5as have.
Class 90s hauled the Mk5s (via Mk3 translator coaches) on the 110 mph test runs, so cannot be all that impossible for them to run without being connected to a loco with the right TMS/computer on board?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
I’m wondering now whether it might actually have been an ETH issue... along the lines of

No/unstable ETH supply -> TMS on coaches says ‘no’ -> brakes won’t release

But as I say I know very little about the Mk5 coaches so I can only go by what I’m told and who knows what filters that has passed through before it gets to me. In any case the ex Killy coaches are still sitting in Barassie Yard apparently with square wheels, from which you can draw your own conclusions.

gsnedders

Established Member
Class 90s hauled the Mk5s (via Mk3 translator coaches) on the 110 mph test runs, so cannot be all that impossible for them to run without being connected to a loco with the right TMS/computer on board?
What's the max speed of them, actually? 110? 125? Or was it 100 + 10% overspeed?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
100mph for the sleeper veh's. 125mph for the TPE sets.
The TPE sets have a design speed of 125mph but are only certified for 100mph in service. Largely to reduce maintenance costs seeing as they won't see those speeds for the foreseeable due to working with 68s and along routes which are 90mph max for the most part. Testing them at 125mph +10% (137.5mph) would also be complicated with few options locomotive-wise: only 91s (or 67s if they have enough mileage to get there!) could do it unless you sent a rake back to Velím and used a continental loco.

Gonzoiku

Sorry... as above a ‘swinger’ is an old railway term for an unbraked vehicle whether by design, intention or otherwise.
Cheers, I've never heard that term used before.

I have, although in an entirely different context. I wondered if this might be an indication of a new facility to be provided on introduction of the new luxury service.....

I won't say if it was an attractive proposition or not!

GZ

JohnMcL7

If only a 73 or 92 can haul these carriages, what would happen if in service the locomotive failed - would the rescue locomotive simply couple to the dead locomotive to haul the carriages?

GrimShady

Established Member
If only a 73 or 92 can haul these carriages, what would happen if in service the locomotive failed - would the rescue locomotive simply couple to the dead locomotive to haul the carriages?

It seems silly if the TMS can't be overridden.

Scotrail84

Established Member

Yes, thats all that can be done, would mean no ETH either.

TimboM

Established Member
What's the max speed of them, actually? 110? 125? Or was it 100 + 10% overspeed?
100mph for the sleeper veh's. 125mph for the TPE sets.
I'm pretty sure the Sleeper Mk5s are 110 mph stock - hence the testing at this speed with the Skodas so they could be certified to this by NR etc. should there be an opportunity in future to run them up to the speeds. For the time being they'll get nowhere near that as the 92s max speed is 87.5 mph and I doubt 73/9s on the north of Edinburgh portions will go much faster than that.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
100mph + 10% overspeed is 110mph. If I'm not mistaken, all rolling stock is tested for 10% overspeed.

Highlandspring

Established Member
The Mk5s are rated at 110mph for in service use (see the extract from the Franchise Specification below). They were subject to the 10% overspeed test during the initial testing at Velim in the Czech Republic.

FF705667-6C4F-4D8B-B599-2E0968904AE0.jpeg

TimboM

Established Member
The Mk5s are rated at 110mph for in service use (see the extract from the Franchise Specification below). They were subject to the 10% overspeed test during the initial testing at Velim in the Czech Republic.
Thanks for confirming HighlandSpring - that was my understanding, 110 mph stock; not 100 mph stock + 10% :lol:

With Class 90s being the only feasible traction for the high speed tests on the WCML and hence the requirement for Mk3s to be used as translators (specially upgraded to run at 110 mph vs their maximum 100 mph) there wasn't realistically going to be any UK testing at 121 mph...

Scotrail84

Established Member
Thanks for confirming HighlandSpring - that was my understanding, 110 mph stock; not 100 mph stock + 10% :lol:

With Class 90s being the only feasible traction for the high speed tests on the WCML and hence the requirement for Mk3s to be used as translators (specially upgraded to run at 110 mph vs their maximum 100 mph) there wasn't realistically going to be any UK testing at 121 mph...

They won't get close to 100mph in normal service either. 87mph on a 92 and 90mph hauled by a 73.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Its already been mentioned on the main Caledonian Sleeper thread but it is worth mentioning on this thread that the Mark 5 introduction has been delayed till next spring.

http://newtrains.sleeper.scot/news/update-on-the-introduction-of-the-new-caledonian-sleeper-trains/

Caledonian Sleeper is now able to confirm that its new fleet of trains will be operating from all stations by the end of May 2019, in time for the peak Summer season. The launch of the Lowland service between London, Glasgow and Edinburgh, which we had hoped to be in the Autumn of 2018, has been put back to Spring 2019, with the Highland service to Fort William, Inverness and Aberdeen following shortly after.

cj_1985

well.. I guess that means that it's much more likely that all the passenger 92s (ie. all but 032 and 044) will have been modified to be mechanically compatible with the mk5 stock

_toommm_

Established Member
How will that work then with passengers presumably being charged more for the new stock, if it's not actually being introduced on time? I thought the new stock carried a premium price for it...

TimboM

Established Member
How will that work then with passengers presumably being charged more for the new stock, if it's not actually being introduced on time? I thought the new stock carried a premium price for it...
Anyone booking Lowlander after 28 October has been offered the opportunity of a full refund.
The premium prices on the new stock are for the "Club" and "Suite" berths with en suite. As these don't exist on the current stock, guests won't be charged for them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Anyone booking Lowlander after 28 October has been offered the opportunity of a full refund.
The premium prices on the new stock are for the "Club" and "Suite" berths with en suite. As these don't exist on the current stock, guests won't be charged for them.

For those who did have them and still wish to travel, are they refunding down to the Classic prices? I guess if not the passenger could achieve the same thing by refunding and rebooking.

TimboM

Established Member
For those who did have them and still wish to travel, are they refunding down to the Classic prices? I guess if not the passenger could achieve the same thing by refunding and rebooking.
Have a look at posts from this morning on the main Sleeper thread for what’s been offered...

rossco156433

Coach 15101 has been dropped off at Brodies in Kilmarnock tonight having been brough up from Barassie yard with both inner axles on skates.

InOban

Established Member
Yes. AFAIK the Highlander was never meant to switch over before Easter anyway.

MDB1images

Noticed 92038 on the MZk5's at Polmadie today.
Also noticed the numbers on the coaching stock seemed more visible as they was in the Grey "swoop" in the livery (black writing on light grey as opposed to black on dark green)

TimboM

Established Member
Noticed 92038 on the MZk5's at Polmadie today.
Also noticed the numbers on the coaching stock seemed more visible as they was in the Grey "swoop" in the livery (black writing on light grey as opposed to black on dark green)
92038 worked a 5Z92 / 5Z93 test outing to Mossend and back this afternoon.

ScottDarg

Test/training/mileage accumulation runs look like they may be restarting. 92038 took a set down to Carlisle last week and there's been a few runs out to Mossend recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

TBSchenker

There was a rake of CS Mk5s in Carlisle platform 3 at 2340 last night with a 90 running around them. They had London Euston on the external displays, though clearly ECS heading back north.

Status
Not open for further replies.