• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper Mk5 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimboM

Established Member
Terrible photo but it's better than nowt.

Lot of Czech's keeping close tabs on this on Velim also, as well as Tam's desire to get some photos, so hopefully we'll get a proper look in soon :)

It's like the "spy shots" of new cars they try to keep under wraps/disguise on test drives you see in car mags - these first photos/videos have to be grainy/only a glimpse :lol:

That loco is certainly interesting. Not quite as aesthetically pleasing as a 92 will look on the front of the new coaches.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

goblinuser

Most new trains (whether hauled or multiple units) seem to follow this trend. I've wondered why; whether it makes maintenance easier, or faults easier to spot, perhaps.

Look at 700s, 707s, 345s. The IEP trains have more continuous cabinets but have a more utilitarian look than mk3 underframes.

It's probably cheaper. The skirting was introduced to improve aerodynamics as far as I know.

Tam

It's like the "spy shots" of new cars they try to keep under wraps/disguise on test drives you see in car mags - these first photos/videos have to be grainy/only a glimpse :lol:

I'll try to remember to set my camera to '1960s James Bond' mode :)

Velim depot has high chainlink fences, with one or two 'no photography' signs just inside, facing outwards. Last time I was there a security man (wouldn't call him a 'guard') walked past as I was taking a photo of the sign and he barely looked up. The track itself is completely open all the way around both circuits and presents few challenges to photographers (apart from lots of bushes and the sun always in the wrong place :) ).

sarahj

Established Member

Lot of Czech's keeping close tabs on this on Velim also, as well as Tam's desire to get some photos, so hopefully we'll get a proper look in soon :)

It's a terrible photo as one of the best ever locos in painted in a terrible colour (103).

It's odd seeing those pics of the coaches. Brand new, new design and yet they look so British.

Clansman

Established Member
Fair enough.

I just think there's something odd looking about the window layout and the destination board positioning that gives off quite a foreign look to it.

But they look stunning never the less

nlogax

Established Member
Fair enough.

I just think there's something odd looking about the window layout and the destination board positioning that gives off quite a foreign look to it.

But they look stunning never the less

They do. Very much looking forward to using them, brand new hauled stock is going to be quite the novelty for a while.

TimboM

Established Member
They do. Very much looking forward to using them, brand new hauled stock is going to be quite the novelty for a while.

They should stay in decent nick for a good while too.

DenmarkRail

I really like the lack of underbody on them... A clear link to the majority of European loco hauled stock.

Believe they are easier to fix a fault on journey, so something can be fixed at Crewe more easy, when on the night up... Could be wrong though.

Clansman

Established Member
Hopefully they're designed to sit right from the inside rather than the outside ;)

Indeed :)

Looks like great care has been taking to ensure all windows are at eye height in each coach, which is a great touch, as it allows passengers to be able to stand in the corridors and admire the views without having to fight for a seat in the lounge or try and tilt their head to get a decent view out of the "portholes."

Tam

I went for a wee night sortie and took a few photos in the dark. Will go back tomorrow for more during daylight. They are still parked in the siding at Velim station, at the start of the spur to the test track.

I attach a photo here (don't know how to do the url thing) and will post more in a moment if this one works.

Attachments

• Sleeper Velim 1.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:

Clansman

Established Member
I went for a wee night sortie and took a few photos in the dark Will go back tomorrow for more during daylight. They are still parked in the siding at Velim station, at the start of the spur to the test track.

I attach a photo here (don't know how to do the url thing) and will post more in a moment if this one works.

Tam you're a gem, mate :)

TimboM

Established Member
I went for a wee night sortie and took a few photos in the dark Will go back tomorrow for more during daylight. They are still parked in the siding at Velim station, at the start of the spur to the test track.

Nice work Tam, keep them coming :D

Tam

More to follow shortly...

Attachments

• Sleeper Velim 2.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 413
  • Sleeper Velim 3.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 392
  • Sleeper Velim 4.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 4.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 382
  • Sleeper Velim 5.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 5.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 378
  • Sleeper Velim 6.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 6.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 387
  • Sleeper Velim 7.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 7.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 398

Clansman

Established Member
How much does a Pint cost in the Czech Republic, Tam?

You've no idea how long I've been waiting to see close ups of these coaches. Very much appreciate your efforts, thank you :)

Last edited:

Tam

Might have some more - but a bit 'samey'.

Hand-held, poor light, 800 ISO, hence the poor, grainy quality. I guess the forum reduces the resolution during uploading too. I will get better photos in the daylight tomorrow.

Any requests for specific parts of the coaches tomorrow?

Attachments

• Sleeper Velim 8.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 8.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 311
  • Sleeper Velim 9.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 9.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 286
  • Sleeper Velim 10.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 10.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 268
  • Sleeper Velim 11.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 11.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 281
  • Sleeper Velim 12.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 12.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 309

Tam

How much does a Pint cost in the Czech Republic, Tam?

You've no idea how long I've been waiting to see close ups of these coaches. Very much appreciate your efforts, thank you :)

Actually, I don't drink the stuff, but it costs about 80p for half a litre of the strong stuff, whereas my coke costs about a quid!

I took these for my son George (if you're reading this - get to bed :lol:) who was out here in July hoping to see them.

Clansman

Established Member
Might have some more - but a bit 'samey'.

Hand-held, poor light, 800 ISO, hence the poor, grainy quality. I guess the forum reduces the resolution during uploading too. I will get better photos in the daylight tomorrow.

Any requests for specific parts of the coaches tomorrow?

If you are able to get a decent zoom into the vestibules or through the windows of the lounge/seated cars that'd be a bonus, but honestly, I can't really ask for any more than what you've posted just now. Thanks again, much appreciated :)

Actually, I don't drink the stuff, but it costs about 80p for half a litre of the strong stuff, whereas my coke costs about a quid!

I took these for my son George (if you're reading this - get to bed :lol:) who was out here in July hoping to see them.

No wonder so many Scotland fans travel there for football away days, with those prices!

Shame the schedule of the delivery was late, hopefully your son will get a wee ride on them when they get into service :)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As others have said well done Tam. Much appreciated.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
They do look quite good, even in the dark (and, let's face it, this is how most people will see them anyway). I do think they would look far better if they had the gubbins underneath enclosed. Is this likely to be done once they've done the testing, or is that it?

Tam

Well, that's the lot for tonight. Glad they seem to be going down well as the quality is not great (the James Bond 1960s spy mode again).

Ceske Drahy conspired against me and I almost gave up at Kolin on the way there when I missed the last connecting train of the night by a minute. I took a taxi the last 5 miles to Velim, which left me with about six minutes to mooch aboot the small yard and take the photos before needing to run to catch the last return train of the night by the skin of my teeth.

Worth every penny - it was good to see them up close.

Attachments

• Sleeper Velim 13.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 13.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 320
  • Sleeper Velim 14.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 14.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 319
  • Sleeper Velim 15.jpg
    Sleeper Velim 15.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 307

Tam

By the way, that's Velim station in the background of 'Sleeper Velim 13'. They are parked parallel to the local up platform (not visible in any of the photos).

Last edited:

speedy_sticks

On Moderation
Wonderful pictures, thanks so much!

Would you be able to take some pictures in daylight comparing the lower and higher window lines, also if your able to if you can capture the curvature of the coach?

Cheers

crunchie48

Is there a URL link to the 103 photo please?

Established Member
Great photos, and many thanks for posting.

You got very close to them. Let's hope they're not covered in graffiti by the morning, oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.