Caledonian Sleeper

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Essexman, 10 Jan 2019.

1. Far north 37

Far north 37 Established Member

73966 and 971 doing the fort william 73969 on the aberdeen and 66733 and 73968 on the inverness tommorow morning.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2020
  2. JonathanH

JonathanH Established Member

3. BRX

BRX Established Member

Looks like an ex CS mk2 seated car has made its way into one of Network Rail's test trains - or am I jumping to conclusions?

4. InOban

InOban Established Member

Unlike the other vehicles, the toilets have retention tanks.

5. Far north 37

9806 now working on national rail test trains still in sleeper livery.

6. BRX

BRX Established Member

I didn't realise the CS mk2s had been fitted with retention tanks. I guess this is one reason they are of interest to other operators?

7. PaxVobiscum

PaxVobiscum Established Member

When arriving at Queen Street Low Level yesterday, I happened to see the Duty Manager showing a representative of Caledonian Sleeper the short extra section at the west end of P8 that will be reopening when the refurbishment is complete. Not all that much of a change, but it looks like platforms 8 & 9 will be about 1 coach length longer than they are at present, going almost up to the ramp. Hard to see in the dark with temporary lighting shining into the lens but here’s the section in question (P8 seen from the present end of P9).

EDIT: This bit is under the new station management building (under construction) which spans the west end of the Low Level station.

5D8C306E-C42A-46C1-81E2-B535597A255C.jpeg

Last edited: 9 Jan 2020
  8. InOban

InOban Established Member

Is that where there was an opening so that the fumes from the steam engines could escape?

9. PG

PG Member

By other vehicles do you mean Mk3 sleepers or vehicles in the Network Rail test train?

10. MrEd

MrEd Member

I believe the Mk2e BUOs (seated coaches) have had retention tanks ever since they were converted from Mk2e TSOs in around 2000-2001. I think the Mk3 sleepers had retention tanks since BR days; I don’t think that the Mk2 lounge cars were ever fitted with them (but then the lounge car WCs were not technically for public use, and I think were later removed from some cars). I don’t think that the BUOs as they are would be of much use to passenger TOCs in the light of their condition (they’re in no way PRM compliant, and if their reliability in their last days working for CS was anything to go by, their electrics must be gubbed), but they’d probably be of some use to NR for test trains (who still use Mk2s), or perhaps even to charter operators? I think they’d need a huge amount of work done to them if they were to be used by a passenger TOC in regular passenger service.

11. TimboM

TimboM Established Member

Network Rail are leasing 5x BUOs from Eastern Rail Services - 9801 / 9803 / 9806 / 9808 / 9810

These are to provide CET facilities for the test trains (so NR can comply with their own rules!) and also additional brake force in the rakes.

12. TimboM

Now at Doncaster Roberts Road to have its wheels sorted, then on to Brush to have its innards fixed.

13. theironroad

theironroad Established Member

Can anyone say what cabins are above the bogies?

I was on mk5 highlander last in room 7 and last week on a lowlander in room 7 too.

Last week I started in lower berth and in middle of night moved to upper to see if it would improve , but didn't help a great deal and overall it was a has night's sleep from rattling etc (though will say that the detaching at Carstairs I must have stayed asleep for and the attaching and detaching at Carstairs or Edinburgh definitely seems better). In the highlander last year I managed to get some reasonable, if not perfect sleep.

I can only book classic and from what I can see , room 7 is the nearest to the middle I can get..

Any ideas?

14. TimboM

Assuming you're in one of the standard Sleeper coaches (and not the PRM coach) there's 10 berths. 1-6 are Club rooms with en suite, 7-10 are Classic (no en-suite). The most central room is probably 5, with 4 and 6 also well away from the bogies. The furthest Classic Room away from the bogies is Room 7 as you suspect.

On the Sleeper.Scot website, there is a berth selector when you book tickets which enables you - subject to availability - to see a diagrammatic representation of each coach and select a different (available) berth, e.g. if there's one that's more central.

15. theironroad

theironroad Established Member

Yeah standard classic, I think room 7 is the best I'll get. I'll have to see how it goes as I really didn't sleep well.

16. 35B

35B Member

Where in the booking process do you get the berth selector?

17. TimboM

Chose destination/arrival stations, select passengers/railcards, choose room type, then after that.

upload_2020-1-10_22-28-41.png

upload_2020-1-10_22-29-16.png

So in this example I could stay in the ideal central berth, or move right over bogies for the Pacer Experience. Can also select the other coaches and see what's available in those too.

18. 47271

47271 Established Member

The entire coach is affected by the on and off rattling, don't get your hopes up by avoiding the bogies. Vertical juddering is slightly less amidships, but the rattle goes through the entire vehicle.

19. swapmeetpete

swapmeetpete Member

Hopefully they'll have to fix the damping before they shake themselves to bits.

20. 35B

35B Member

On my journeys, it did not bother me nearly as much as on the Mk3s. Horses for courses.

21. 35B

35B Member

Thanks

22. swapmeetpete

swapmeetpete Member

Maybe some sets are worse than others.

23. Far north 37

Looks like 1S25 was caped at perth this morning all hughland mainline services cancelled.

24. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

Looks like flooding though so at least it wasn't CS' fault.

25. Essexman

Essexman Member

I try to book Berth 5 which is definitely better than the end ones. There are still rattles but probably not as many as the Mark 3s, however now we have the water sloshing. The shunting and pulling away is however far smoother and I can sleep through Edinburgh on the Highlander now, which used to be impossible.

26. MrEd

MrEd Member

I agree with everything you say. The water sloshing is annoying, but you’re right about leaving stations and the shunting at Edinburgh- that’s so much more bearable with the Mk5s than on the old stock. I always try to get room 5 too if travelling first, and 7 if standard.

27. 47271

47271 Established Member

Having caught up with a two Highlander regulars yesterday, and my own limited experience of the new trains, I think that the two posts above have got it pretty much right. We have no technical knowledge by the way, we're just people who spend a lot of time travelling by rail and know a rough ride when we feel one.

Anything to do with couplings and connections, in other words horizontally generated movement and noise, has been improved out of recognition on the mk5s. So shunting, braking and acceleration has none of the old bangs and jiggles.

As for the knocking or rattling. Going by earlier posts on this and other threads, this is a problem with the way that the secondary air suspension fails to cope with track that's in anything other than perfect condition. The vertical motion created is causing an up and down knocking, but this is believed to be more common north of Edinburgh and large distances can be covered on the WCML at full speed with no disturbance at all. Fair enough, but a mk3 in good nick soaked up pretty much everything, so it isn't good enough.

I can't get anyone to be too upset about sloshing!

28. 43096

43096 Established Member

The Mark 3 sleepers had retention tanks from new. Even BR recognised the issue of having stock with passengers on board in stations for lengthy periods (eg train arrives 0530, passengers can remain on board until 0730).

29. MrEd

MrEd Member

That I didn’t know- makes a lot of sense in many ways.

Another point- did BR usually honour the fact that passengers were allowed to remain on board until well after arrival, or were they in practice keen to turf everyone off as soon as possible (as sometimes seems to be the case with CS’ Up Lowlander when it arrives early at Euston? The timetables seem to suggest that you’re allowed to stay in the berth until 08:00 at Euston on the up Highlander, but most crews that I’ve experienced seem to want you to vacate on arrival. The only time I ever used the northbound Lowlander into Glasgow, around a year ago, we were told to vacate on arrival just after 07:20, even though the timetable suggests that you can stay in your berth until about 07:45. Should the ’vacate cabins by’ times actually be taken with a pinch of salt? Obviously there’s no problem with the northbound Inverness or Fort William trains being ’vacate immediately on arrival’, as these arrive at very sociable times and the crews on these routes have had a long enough shift as it is!

Last edited: 12 Jan 2020
  30. Beebman

Beebman Member

Article from the Edinburgh Evening News about ‘emergency exit windows’ being locked shut:
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....ows-are-locked-caledonian-sleeper-1362590?amp

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Jan 2020