Caledonian Sleeper

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Essexman, 10 Jan 2019.

1. Mainliner

Mainliner Member

Coincidentally, the latest Tripadvisor review includes a reference to this: “Going to bed the fun started. We didn’t sleep at all during the trip. There was a loud never ending noise from the window. It was like going with high speed through a windtunnel. At first we thought it would be simply dealt with by just closing the window but that was impossible.

A member of staff apologised profoundly and told us that this complaint was a daily fact. It would never be solved since it was a well known design fault, since the windows were doubling as emergency exits”

2. John Bishop

John Bishop Member

Transport Secretary was getting a grilling in Scottish Parliament yesterday over the poor performance of CS. Not quite sure what the end result was, it apparently he was refusing to apologise over the debacle.

3. 47271

47271 Established Member

Possible, but I haven't heard that one before. Noise around the window is more likely to be caused by the aircon outlet which is located bizarrely on the bottom sill. This is is also the cause of a separate complaint from seated passengers who find one arm or another frozen during the journey.

In the mk3s, cold air was pumped in silently via the ceiling. I can only assume that it was cheaper to build with the duct running just below the windows.

4. OvergroundMatt

OvergroundMatt Member

The managing director of Caledonian Sleeper is out, reports Richard Clinnick.

5. Goldfish62

Goldfish62 Established Member

The aircon vents on the bottom sill has been pretty much the default location on European rolling stock since aircon started being fitted. It's also present on the Eurostar Class 373.

6. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

I doubt it was cheaper. It is very common practice on mainland European coaches, possibly because in a larger UIC coach the ceiling is far further away. It's probably just because that's what CAF LHCS does - the interior of the Mk5 does have a very European look to it unlike all the CAF DMUs and EMUs which look more British.

7. BRX

BRX Established Member

It may be less of an issue in UIC stock because of the extra width. With some UK stock, you end up with the windowsill being used as a kind of armrest, because the actual armrest has been squeezed away to nothing due to overall width obstructions. And if the windowsill becomes an armrest by default, then it's obviously not a great location to have pumping out cold (or hot) air.

8. mde

mde Member

Here's an extract from the Official Report (it's a bit lengthy) detailing the exchanges in question:

9. Bletchleyite

Though that doesn't really apply to the Caledonian Sleeper seated coaches as they are basically all First Class.

10. Struner

Struner Member

The Sleeper’s Ross Flaherty has resigned. Not sure if it will help tho? https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-boss-to-quit-post-at-much-criticised-service

11. 47271

47271 Established Member

Fair enough, I'd never thought about it much when I've been on trains in Europe.

Anyway, if it's making a level of noise that's keeping people awake or freezing their arms then it's an unsuitable design.

12. alangla

alangla Member

I don’t think Nightstar stock had aircon under the window. It’s been a while since I was last on one (Quebec City to Montreal) but I certainly don’t remember anything like that & the lounge car photo here- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_(railcar) doesn’t seem to show vents there.

13. Flying Snail

Flying Snail Member

"The cars were built by Metro Cammell in the mid-1990s... They are based on the British Rail Mark 4 design"

So no reason they would have continental style window AC vents then.

The overhead vents can be clearly seen in some of those photos.

Prior to the CAF Mk5 the only stock in the UK built with window ledge vents was the original Eurostar sets and the Irish Rail/NIR Enterprise stock.

The Irish Rail CAF built coach sets used on Dublin - Cork also have window vents. They also had lousy ride quality when first introduced and despite remedial work never came close to matching the ride quality of the BR Mk3 coches they replaced.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2020
  14. 47271

47271 Established Member

So the moral is, don't buy stock from CAF, it's rickety and is generally built to standards totally unsuited to UK or Irish use.

Too late.

15. Bletchleyite

I've been on a TPE Mk5a (admittedly in 1st) and I think it's possibly the nicest thing on the UK rails, if that helps. The ride and build quality are poor, though.

And I'm not a loco nut.

16. Flying Snail

Flying Snail Member

So poor ride, build quality and some of the most uncomfortable seats installed on any long distance train anywhere; how the hell is it "the nicest"?

17. Taunton

Taunton Established Member

Probably the lowest bid though. Is anything else important to UK purchasers?

18. 87electric

87electric Member

Anyone know the current 1M11 loco, attached to 1C11 right now?

19. TimboM

TimboM Established Member

92043 is on 1M11 tonight

20. TimboM

TimboM Established Member

Lowest or only? There were very few companies from what I recall prepared to even bid for such a low-volume, highly bespoke production run.

I wouldn't describe still being employed by Serco Group and moving to another area of the business to be nearer his family as "resigning"??

21. adrock1976

adrock1976 Established Member

1M16 Inverness - Euston was double headed by 66706+73968 as far as Edinburgh Waverley.

The loco from Edinburgh to London was 92010.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2020
  22. 87electric

87electric Member

Thank you for that.

23. LeylandLen

LeylandLen Member

1S25 Euston Scotland being diverted via ECML tonight due to WCML closed near Lancaster , OHLE probs.

24. Tom Maddox

Tom Maddox Member

25. 6Z09

6Z09 Member

All the rest going WCML, waiting on the line being opened!
    Currently predicted for 0500.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2020
  26. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

Last I heard they had found more issues so that time was likely to slip...
    Sam

27. BRX

BRX Established Member

Interesting/surprising that it was possible to arrange this at such short notice.

28. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

07:00 at this point; although I'm sure that will get pushed back once there's first daylight.

29. side effect

side effect Member

1m11 still at Oxenholme and 1s26 stuck in Barton and Broughton lay by if that's what you call it.

30. marks87

marks87 Established Member

The Northbound Highlander hasn't fared too bad, all things considered - diverting via the ECML has left it "only" around an hour late into all three destinations.

The Lowlander not so good. Running only to Glasgow, and currently 178L around Beattock.