• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes - which is what firms who take carbon accounting seriously are starting to do. There's a lot of averaging involved, and quite a few assumptions required to make the data manageable, but it's an activity that is already well underway.

This strikes me as needing a good bit of "de minimis non curat lex" applying to it.

But then of course people want to create jobs for themselves...

35B

Established Member
This strikes me as needing a good bit of "de minimis non curat lex" applying to it.

But then of course people want to create jobs for themselves...
I'd say that de minimis non curat lex is already being applied, in what I see at my employer - precisely because drilling down into ever finer detail is counterproductive. But when businesses are having to account not just for their carbon consumption, but also for the role of carbon in their supply chain, being able to have a view does matter.

HST274

No. That isn't possible. Aberdeen empties didn't run.

RTT shows
66740+73967 to Fort William
66789+73971 to Inverness
Aberdeen cancelled
That explains why the guard on mine yesterday said they had two extra coaches, looks like the Aberdeen beds tagged on the FW portion and just seen the FW portion with 8 coaches going southbound as well today so i guess they're taking them back south.

ScottDarg

Received a text and email this morning to advise that the Glasgow portion of the lowlander will be terminating at and starting from Edinburgh between 29/08 and 03/09 due to continued staff absence. The service disruption page has been updated to reflect:

Sunday 22nd August to Friday 3rd September
Northbound Lowland
London Euston to Glasgow

Due to increased absences of safety critical staff scheduled to operate our train service’s we have had to make amendments to our timetables from Sunday 22nd August to Friday 3rd September 2021. To keep as many of our guests moving as possible in these challenging times, we have taken the decision to join our Glasgow and Edinburgh service’s with a joint termination at Edinburgh Waverly only and not Glasgow Central as booked originally.

Please note that your departure time from London Euston will be 2340 with a planned boarding time of 2230. Your new arrival time into Edinburgh Waverly will be 0722 with rooms available until 0800 – there are no changes to your coach or room number.

There is a very frequent train service between Edinburgh Waverly to Glasgow Central or Queen Street and we have ticket acceptance in place until 0900. ScotRail staff will be aware of these arrangements and your Caledonian Sleeper ticket to travel will be accepted without any additional charge. Glasgow Queen Street station is a 6-minute walk from Glasgow Central and is located on N Hanover Street, G1 2AF.

We are making contact with all guests who have booked directly with us.

Southbound Lowland
Glasgow Central to London Euston

Due to increased absences of safety critical staff scheduled to operate our train service’s we have had to make amendments to our timetables from Sunday 22nd August to Friday 3rd September 2021. To keep as many of our guests moving as possible in these challenging times we have taken the decision to join our Glasgow and Edinburgh service’s with a departure from Edinburgh Waverly only and not Glasgow Central as booked originally.

Sunday 30th August departure time from Edinburgh Waverly will be 2315 with a planned boarding time of 2300 – your arrival time into London Euston remains the same and there are no changes to your coach or room number.

Monday 23rd August to Friday 3rd September departure time from Edinburgh Waverly will be 2340 with a planned boarding time of 2300 – your arrival time into London Euston remains the same and there are no changes to your coach or room number.

For bookings Monday 23rd August to Friday 27th August we have arranged rail travel from Glasgow to Edinburgh on ScotRail services* for the following train services:

• 21:05 Crosscountry Service from Glasgow Central, arrives Edinburgh at 22:22
  • 21:23 ScotRail Service from Glasgow Central, arrives Edinburgh at 22:50
  • 21:45 ScotRail Service from Glasgow Queen Street, arrives Edinburgh at 22:34
  • 22:15 ScotRail Service from Glasgow Queen Street, arrives Edinburgh at 23:09
*ScotRail have been made aware of these arrangements and your Caledonian Sleeper ticket will be valid to travel on the services stated above without any additional charge. Glasgow Queen Street station is a 6minute walk from Glasgow Central Station and is located on North Hanover Street, G1 2AF.

Unsure if this has already been posted - have lost track of what's been said over the last few pages!

alex397

Established Member
I travelled on the 20.45 from Inverness to Euston on the evening of Tuesday 24th, for my first ever sleeper train experience. The Fort William portion was delayed as another poster has said by 74 mins, but we left Edinburgh 44 late and arrived only 18 late. It didn’t bother me as it gave me more time in the cabin, but good that we made up time so well.

I must say I was really impressed with the service. I was worried it wouldn’t go well seeing as they have mixed reviews. The lady at the Inverness lounge (located in a separate building across the road from Inverness station) was so good I have sent CS a compliment.
All other staff were really good too, and everything on the journey went smoothly (apart from the delay).
I had the en-suite room, and I found the bed and pillow really comfortable, which I must say I wasn’t expecting at all. I’m not a good sleeper, so I appreciated it, and it helped me get at least 5 hours sleep (I wasn’t expecting to get any as usually I need almost complete silence).
I used the Club Car car too, which I thought was good. They didn’t have everything on the menu, but tried their best to get as close as they could to what we wanted. Pretty much all the things I wanted were available anyway.
I found the carriages had a good luxury feel to them.

I get the impression that when things go to plan, it’s a really good service. In terms of customer service, they seemed really good to me. Hopefully they will become more reliable, as reading through this thread it doesn’t seem they are.

Bill57p9

I take it on Sunday 29th you need to walk to Waverley then…
ScotRail trains are running between Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh Waverley via Bathgate on Sundays, but obviously this assumes ticket acceptance in place and customers guests have been informed. (And it also takes a while!)

Edit: I just checked and the last ScotRail Sunday service from Glasgow to Edinburgh is at 1945, which is rather early. There is an XC at 2058 from Glasgow Central though.

Last edited:

RT4038

Established Member
Most likely not a saturated fatty acid, but the first word is something similar, possibly 'sweet', and the last likely to be 'all', and I think you can probably guess the middle one!
'Sweet Fanny Adams' , i.e. nothing?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Received a text and email this morning to advise that the Glasgow portion of the lowlander will be terminating at and starting from Edinburgh between 29/08 and 03/09 due to continued staff absence. The service disruption page has been updated to reflect:

Unsure if this has already been posted - have lost track of what's been said over the last few pages!
Presumably Edinburgh has been chosen instead of Glasgow because the platforms at Glasgow Central cannot accommodate a complete train,whilst Edinburgh obviously can be cause it does so every night with the Highlander. When running complete to Edinburgh, does it it still reverse at Carstairs or is that call omitted?

I take it on Sunday 29th you need to walk to Waverley then…
Curiously the message refers to Sunday 30th. Whoever proof read it has also left in a couple of greengrocers' apostrophes

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I wonder if they would accept a delay repay claim for any of these nights from Glasgow passengers due to the fact that their evening was curtailed by the need to travel to Edinburgh on a number of alternative services, some of which are quite slow plus the inconvenience of changing trains and hanging around Edinburgh especially on the Sunday night and also the potential horror of having to ride in a 385? I am only joking I might add

But I have to say in terms of disruption handling it's fullmarx to Caledonian Sleeper this time as not only have they taken an operational decision that covers an entire weeks worth of services but they've gone to the trouble of communicating it and at least putting some arrangements albeit less than ideal in place

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I wonder if they would accept a delay repay claim for any of these nights from Glasgow passengers
Perhaps not delay repay unless they arrive late in London, though I’ve found their customer service to be excellent and I imagine anyone inconvenienced would be lent an ear if they wrote.
But I have to say in terms of disruption handling it's fullmarx to Caledonian Sleeper this time as not only have they taken an operational decision that covers an entire weeks worth of services but they've gone to the trouble of communicating it and at least putting some arrangements albeit less than ideal in place
Agreed. Besides running the actual trains in question, it’s hard to see how they could have handled this any better than they have.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
We did try to get compensation for a very delayed departure from Cologne on an overnight train (after midnight instead of 9pm so a shorter time in bed than expected), but as we arrived in Innsbruck on time weren't successful. Conversely the following year our Cologne-Vienna train was delayed by several hours, and we did get compensation although in fact we bailed out at Wels (the junction for Salzburg) instead of doubling back via Vienna, and connected with the train we would have got anyway, saving us the Vienna-Wels fare as well.

flitwickbeds

Perhaps not delay repay unless they arrive late in London...
Although it's an interesting debate. If the passenger has to spend an extra 2 hours on trains BEFORE their planned train departed (to get to Edinburgh), it may potentially be as, or MORE, inconvenient to said passenger than spending 2 hours EXTRA on the train because it's late.

In my view Delay Repay would apply.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Although it's an interesting debate. If the passenger has to spend an extra 2 hours on trains BEFORE their planned train departed (to get to Edinburgh), it may potentially be as, or MORE, inconvenient to said passenger than spending 2 hours EXTRA on the train because it's late.

It doesn't. It probably should, but it doesn't. Just like it doesn't if you choose to leave earlier to avoid a cancelled train.

One assumes CS are offering full refunds if it no longer suits peoples' purpose, though?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You can argue that it should apply but if you arrive at or around the time you were supposed to then you weren't, by the way that words work, delayed.

I don't see how they could legally refuse to.

Indeed.

It would of course apply in the other direction because in that case you do arrive later than booked.

Bill57p9

Presumably Edinburgh has been chosen instead of Glasgow because the platforms at Glasgow Central cannot accommodate a complete train,whilst Edinburgh obviously can be cause it does so every night with the Highlander. When running complete to Edinburgh, does it it still reverse at Carstairs or is that call omitted?
There is also the advantage that Edinburgh involves one less locomotive and presumably driver than Glasgow Central as the loco runs around the train.

If running to/from Edinburgh only, the Lowlander avoids Carstairs and runs direct.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
There is also the advantage that Edinburgh involves one less locomotive and presumably driver than Glasgow Central as the loco runs around the train.

If running to/from Edinburgh only, the Lowlander avoids Carstairs and runs direct.
Is there a connection back to Carstairs for anyone who actually wanted to go there?

najaB

Veteran Member
I'd imagine they would put a taxi on in the extremely unlikely event of anyone actually wanting to get off there. As reservations are compulsory they know where everyone is going.
I was thinking the same thing. The likelihood that someone wants to get to Carstairs at that time in the morning is remote.

STINT47

What is SFA?
The first word is sweet, the last is all and the middle word rhymes with duck.

I don't think it would apply as you were not late arriving. What should apply is some firm of compensation,/gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience it causes. As a luxury hotel on wheels that offers a magical journey I hope they give something automatically.

Last edited:

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I was thinking the same thing. The likelihood that someone wants to get to Carstairs at that time in the morning is remote.
Useful if the purpose of your visit to Scotland is track-bashing and your to-do list includes the Wishaw to Holytown spur, as the sleeper connects with the 0737 Carstairs to Garscadden, one of only six daily services to use the spur.

alangla

Useful if the purpose of your visit to Scotland is track-bashing and your to-do list includes the Wishaw to Holytown spur, as the sleeper connects with the 0737 Carstairs to Garscadden, one of only six daily services to use the spur.
Off topic, but there used to be an hourly service over that from Lanark to somewhere on the Argyle line via Hamilton. There was also talk of the Whifflet terminators being extended in service to Wishaw but that hasn’t happened. Some do, however, do the move empty, e.g. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W96411/2021-08-28/detailed#allox_id=0

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

How often does someone travel there on the Sleeper to do that? Once every couple of years? :)

I wonder what the usage to Carstairs is? Must be very low. If it's one or two a day if that, as I would suspect it is, then putting people in a taxi from either Carlisle or Edinburgh (depending if they prefer losing sleep or arriving later) would deal with it fine.