• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

MrEd

If you’re referring to the ban on carrying alcohol visibly on trains between 2100-1000, that is a ScotRail policy so would not apply on CS.
I thought alcohol was banned from all trains in Scotland during the pandemic? It is certainly still banned on all Scotrail services currently (and LNER too I think). I believe that CS have also currently banned it in the seated coach - although this may change.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I thought alcohol was banned from all trains in Scotland during the pandemic? It is certainly still banned on all Scotrail services currently (and LNER too I think). I believe that CS have also currently banned it in the seated coach - although this may change.
As far as I know alcohol may still be consumed on Avanti, XC and TPE. (Edit: Avanti are serving me wine right now on the ex-GLC)

Yes, there is a complete ban on consumption on Scotrail services, but in all practicality, if you’re discreet about it & it’s a sensible time nobody seems to care.

Bringing it back on topic, I’ve not heard anything from CS regarding an alcohol ban & I’ve a booking with them next week.

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
I purchased a can of beer from the buffet - and started to consume it before crossing the border - on the 13 30 LNER service from Edinburgh the day before yesterday, with no issues.

Established Member
I purchased a can of beer from the buffet - and started to consume it before crossing the border - on the 13 30 LNER service from Edinburgh the day before yesterday, with no issues.
I purchased a beer on a CrossCountry train just after Motherwell and drank it between there and Edinburgh, where I alighted.

najaB

Veteran Member
Yes, there is a complete ban on consumption on Scotrail services, but in all practicality, if you’re discreet about it & it’s a sensible time nobody seems to care.
Indeed. This time last year they were policing it quite strictly, but now you just need to not be too obvious about it. That said, I rarely drink alcohol on trains so it's not really affected me one way or the other.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Indeed. This time last year they were policing it quite strictly, but now you just need to not be too obvious about it. That said, I rarely drink alcohol on trains so it's not really affected me one way or the other.

Sounds like a stiff whisky is needed as a minimum before embarking on a CS adventure?

fgwrich

Established Member
If you want whiskey onboard, take your own!

CS is a whisky joint.

Thank you, nice to see the correct term for Scotch being mentioned. If you want the stuff with an E, you'll need to turn left at the border and cross the Irish Sea for that!

Now, I'll take a Tomatin or a Highland Park please! (Both served on the sleeper by the way) :lol:

Though of course SRPS railtours are operated by West Coast Railways, so technically the TOC is English.
The Railtours are planned, marketed and sold by SRPS using their rolling stock and volunteers. West Coast Railways provide the loco, driver and guard. Does that then make them the operator?

_toommm_

Established Member
The Glasgow service is starting from Watford tonight due to an issue with a coupler on a coach, with the Edinburgh service starting from Euston with a delay.

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you want whiskey onboard, take your own!

CS is a whisky joint.
Having looked up the difference (ignorant me!), it appears you’re spot on! I’ve always found they’ve had a good selection available, though I didn’t travel during the height of the pandemic.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Now, I'll take a Tomatin or a Highland Park please! (Both served on the sleeper by the way) :lol:

Tomatin is, at least, very local to the Highlander. Although I’d say that Dalwhinnie edges it on the ‘whisky distilled within a mile of the route of the Caley’

The Glasgow service is starting from Watford tonight due to an issue with a couple on a coach,

Second time tonight I’ve read the first half of a post out of context. I read that as a stroppy pair of passengers, and had visions of the Krankies having had too much Buckie and wrestling in the club car.

_toommm_

Established Member
Tomatin is, at least, very local to the Highlander. Although I’d say that Dalwhinnie edges it on the ‘whisky distilled within a mile of the route of the Caley’

Second time tonight I’ve read the first half of a post out of context. I read that as a stroppy pair of passengers, and had visions of the Krankies having had too much Buckie and wrestling in the club car.

Autocorrect on iOS will be the death of me - it’s absolutely awful!

Original post corrected to coupler.

fgwrich

Established Member

Lounge car re-opened with tonights entertainment?

As for the Tomatin, it is probably the closest to the route of the Caley - the Distillery edges the Highland Mainline, while Dalwhinnie is also very very close. Auchentoshan is probably the third closest at Dalmuir, while Edradour is within 2 miles of the HML at Pitlochry.

As you might have guessed, I am rather a fan of a Single Malt or two! Speaking of which, are they supplying the miniatures with the room service?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
6 hours and 46 minutes of sleep for their guests, at most. I’d imagine most of them will get about 4 hours sleep max.

Again, it comes back to the earlier POV that even if not delayed at final destination, compensation should nonetheless be in order.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
6 hours and 46 minutes of sleep for their guests, at most. I’d imagine most of them will get about 4 hours sleep max.

Again, it comes back to the earlier POV that even if not delayed at final destination, compensation should nonetheless be in order.

The stock is due in to Watford just before midnight (although whether that happens or not, who knows), so one imagines a good 7 hours in bed is doable.

Update, it arrived Watford 2350.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I'd happily accept a few miniatures as discussed above. As to the couple or coupler error comment, I was conjuring up visions of a pair of randy teenagers who had somehow infiltrated the depot and decided to spend the day doing the coupling thing in one of the club double rooms

alangla

As in the two portions are running separately? Unusual!
This does appear to be what has happened. Traksy is currently showing 1B26 sitting in the platform at Carstairs, 1Z11 in the loop and 0S26 approaching Motherwell. RealTimeTrains shows 1S26 as running from Euston to Carstairs and terminating there due to a train fault and an additional VSTP 1Z11 from Watford to Motherwell. Looks like 1Z11 is being held to time, so an 0745 kick-out time at Motherwell. The thing I’m most surprised at in all this is that despite their staffing issues, they’ve found the additional guards needed to make 1Z11 happen.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This does appear to be what has happened. Traksy is currently showing 1B26 sitting in the platform at Carstairs, 1Z11 in the loop and 0S26 approaching Motherwell. RealTimeTrains shows 1S26 as running from Euston to Carstairs and terminating there due to a train fault and an additional VSTP 1Z11 from Watford to Motherwell. Looks like 1Z11 is being held to time, so an 0745 kick-out time at Motherwell. The thing I’m most surprised at in all this is that despite their staffing issues, they’ve found the additional guards needed to make 1Z11 happen.

Strikes me as quite a good piece of operations vs cancelling outright, and 0745 is not too bad if they were told in advance.

alangla

Strikes me as quite a good piece of operations vs cancelling outright, and 0745 is not too bad if they were told in advance.
Looks like it was an 0723 arrival at Motherwell in the end, 0732 departure of the empties. Units to Glasgow left at 0728 via Whifflet (cross platform change) or 0745 direct from the same platform, both would have got into central about 0800-0810. Hard to see how it could have been done better in the circumstances really.

CW2

Established Member
Looks like it was an 0723 arrival at Motherwell in the end, 0732 departure of the empties. Units to Glasgow left at 0728 via Whifflet (cross platform change) or 0745 direct from the same platform, both would have got into central about 0800-0810. Hard to see how it could have been done better in the circumstances really.
Agreed. I've been critical of Caledonian Sleepers in the past, but in this instance I think they've done well to come up with these very short notice alterations to minimise the inconvenience to the passengers / guests. Well done!