• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Waterloo (but that is nonsense).

It's the only one I can think of...St Pancras hasn't got a connection from the HS lines onto the WCML, has it?

I know there was a theory about moving it to a different terminus so as to allow for the Euston redevelopment work (then probably move it back so it connects with HS2)...but there aren't a lot of options!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
New menu perhaps for the catering? Introduction of advance purchase bargain berths as previously seen on the old ScotRail operated service on limited trains in limited numbers
It is doing quite well without the need for bargain berths judging by nights it is shown as sold out.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'm sort of deriving from that that it isn't Euston either, possibly related to the loss of P16 for HS2? Intriguing. What London terminus can get you onto the WCML and has platforms long enough?

it will surely be staying at Euston, at least for now.

It's the only one I can think of...St Pancras hasn't got a connection from the HS lines onto the WCML, has it?

it does. Albeit not commissioned.

No, neither does it have long enough platforms nor constant electrification from Nuneaton.

it does have long enough platforms - 400m is plenty

xotGD

Established Member
Introduction of 67s for the Inverness portion?

Station calls at Birmingham New Street?

james_the_xv

Station calls at Birmingham New Street?
Coventry and New Street both have facilities for the sleeper iirc (I believe Coventry has a sleeper stop board and new street is definitely long enough)

A longshot would be CS being relieved of the sleeper by ScotGov.
Surely something like that would be just straight announced rather than building hype over it

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not that it would be exactly simple to change the livery...

A longshot would be CS being relieved of the sleeper by ScotGov.

I should elaborate by explaining I meant 'simple' as in nothing terribly exciting. Right now, it seems like hype is being built up to produce a news item that will leave us saying "Oh, is that it?"

As I read the other replies, funnily enough I also thought that about CS no longer running things as such. It seems a weird way to go into such a drastic change, but it could happen.

Waiting until 7th March to find out the answer is going to drive me nuts! If it is a terminal change, albeit temporary, then it could lead to some interesting track being covered. Perhaps it's a change of diesel locomotive operations, or it could just be something like extending the Aberdeen portion to Dyce? I really don't know, but I am keen to find out.

najaB

Veteran Member
I can't see it being timetable related. There is nothing exciting about the timetable (and unlike e.g. Avanti West Coast or LNER, speeding it up wouldn't be exciting).
What's more, if it was timetable related we'd probably already see signs of it in the data feed.

najaB

Veteran Member
I really wouldn't be surprised if the announcement was something along the lines of "To help the railway recover in the post-Covid environment Transport Scotland and Serco have agreed to bring Caledonian Sleeper back to it's historic home alongside all other Scottish routes. This consolidation will give Caledonian Sleeper more flexibility to integrate with Scotrail services, giving our guests a wider range of travel opportunities."

Or something similar.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Could anyone post a screenshot of the email please?
1645654225689.png
[Screenshot from email from Caledonian Sleeper showing a person in casual clothes walking through a lounge car with comment "Something exciting is happening..." "We are working on something exciting and we can't wait to share it with you. Keep your eyes open on 7th March..."]

6Z09

Big announcement?
Water coming out of the shower head will no longer be cold??

Seriously, must be Menu related.

Last edited:

Probably a seated passenger having to walk through the club car looking for a working toilet after the toilet in the seated car locked itself out of use :lol:
My god how often does that happen... lots and lots of times

AberdeenBill

Maybe something simple like being able to book a time slot in the lounge car in advance. Perhaps free for Club passengers and a booking fee if you are in Classic

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I should elaborate by explaining I meant 'simple' as in nothing terribly exciting. Right now, it seems like hype is being built up to produce a news item that will leave us saying "Oh, is that it?"

Waiting until 7th March to find out the answer is going to drive me nuts! If it is a terminal change, albeit temporary, then it could lead to some interesting track being covered. Perhaps it's a change of diesel locomotive operations

I doubt if CSs publicity department would think a change of traction would be thought of as of great interest to most of the public. I would be surprised if most users of the Highlander even notice the locomotive has morphed overnight.