• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

BRX

Established Member
I’m guessing this has been asked about and answered many times, but

On sleeper services in Britain (Caledonian and Night Riviera), if you are travelling in seated accomodation and alighting at an intermediate point, what is the best way to wake up? Is there someone who walks through the train at the appropriate times or is there no option but to set an alarm and annoy the entire carriage?
I wouldn't rely on staff waking you.

What I'd do is set an alarm on my phone that started quietly, with vibrate, and gradually increased in volume.

If you manage to sleep soundly enough in a seat that it has to get to a significant volume to wake you... consider yourself lucky.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It’s not just the couplers between the 67 and mk5 sleepers though is it!

Can a 67 provide the same power to the carriages as a 73/9 or would there need to be some sort of an upgrade! ?
73/9s have an ETS index of 38, 67s have an index of 66

JonathanH

Veteran Member
On sleeper services in Britain (Caledonian and Night Riviera), if you are travelling in seated accomodation and alighting at an intermediate point, what is the best way to wake up? Is there someone who walks through the train at the appropriate times or is there no option but to set an alarm and annoy the entire carriage?
Fort William passengers get woken at Edinburgh.

In my experience no other waking up of seated passengers is done. In practice, going northbound, the tunnels at Edinburgh will always wake you up. If travelling to Stirling or Dunblane you don't really go back to sleep. Somewhere like Aviemore is later on so less risk of oversleeping.

HST43257

Established Member
Fort William passengers get woken at Edinburgh.

In my experience no other waking up of seated passengers is done. In practice, going northbound, the tunnels at Edinburgh will always wake you up. If travelling to Stirling or Dunblane you don't really go back to sleep. Somewhere like Aviemore is later on so less risk of oversleeping.
I’m aware this is a CS thread, but the one I’m most worried about is 0625 alighting at Bodmin. Am I relying on the alarm for this one?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I’m aware this is a CS thread, but the one I’m most worried about is 0625 alighting at Bodmin. Am I relying on the alarm for this one?
There is a long dwell at Plymouth that should help with stirring. Point on all of the sleepers are that some features of the route are near guaranteed to wake most people up.

Wrightc41

Apparently yesterdays Inverness to Euston was over three hours later arriving in Edinburgh where it was terminated so assume the stock never made it down.

JModulo

Apparently yesterdays Inverness to Euston was over three hours later arriving in Edinburgh where it was terminated so assume the stock never made it down.
Correct. Anyone on tonights Euston - Glasgow its basically tough luck.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Perhaps they have sufficient capacity on the Edinburgh service to accommodate Glasgow passengers who are unable to alter their plans and these will then catch a ScotRail service onwards, always assuming of course that they can find one and get on it if they do

Sleepy

Established Member
Perhaps they have sufficient capacity on the Edinburgh service to accommodate Glasgow passengers who are unable to alter their plans and these will then catch a ScotRail service onwards, always assuming of course that they can find one and get on it if they do
Given tonight will be as busy a Friday night as before the double bank hols. I wouldn't fancy the chances of many/any spare berths on Edinburgh portion sadly.

JModulo

No.

Gonzoiku

RTT suggests "person hit by train" between Dalwhinnie and Blair Atholl.

:(

GZ

Essexman

Established Member
I’m on the southbound Highlander. Boarded at Dundee. We left Crewe almost an hour late and are expected to arrive at Euston about 50 minutes late. Seem to have been held up for more than an hour north of Carlisle.

InOban

Established Member
A truck had gone on fire and somehow came to a stop on an overbridge, dumping its load on to the railway below.

Essexman

Established Member
A truck had gone on fire and somehow came to a stop on an overbridge, dumping its load on to the railway below.

Fortunate trains were stopped then.

I hope my delay repay claim will be covered by his / her’s insurance company.

kentrailman

I have a couple of sleeper trips booked a day either side of strike dates just announced. e.g. one is on 26th. I wonder what people think about what days the sleeper might not run because of the strikes. Presumably they will have stock at each end of the run so could resume the day after a strike ?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I have a couple of sleeper trips booked a day either side of strike dates just announced. e.g. one is on 26th. I wonder what people think about what days the sleeper might not run because of the strikes. Presumably they will have stock at each end of the run so could resume the day after a strike ?

Can‘t see them running at all that week other than the Sundays.

Essexman

Established Member
Last week CS said they expected to run if there were strikes as they’ve already agreed a pay deal with their staff but today they don’t seem so sure.

I have a booking that week but will probably cancel it.
I’ve already cancelled a trip to Fort William as reduced Scotrail timetable means its not possible to do trips from there that I’d hoped to do.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Last week CS said they expected to run if there were strikes as they’ve already agreed a pay deal with their staff but today they don’t seem so sure.
It isn't in their hands if Network Rail signallers are on strike. The Caledonian Sleeper staff and GBRf drivers would turn up for work but not be able to take their train anywhere.

The Prisoner

There is an update on their site https://www.sleeper.scot/service-alterations/

Basically says they plan to run, but if they can't they will let you know ASAP.

it actually says they expect disruption, but don’t know what will happen. It doesn’t say anywhere that hey plan to run.
A course of action that affects West of Scotland, Carlisle and Preston signalling centres would give a good number of miles from Scotland to Preston and South of Preston. Effectively closing the West Coast Main Line. Noises have already been made about Avanti services. So the sleeper would be no better.

Similar noises have also been made about LNER services. So no alternative for the sleeper on the East Coast. That would effectively be the Edinburgh and Tyne signalling centres.

Guess we need to wait and see what is affected, but the outcome does not look good.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
A course of action that affects West of Scotland, Carlisle and Preston signalling centres would give a good number of miles from Scotland to Preston and South of Preston. Effectively closing the West Coast Main Line. Noises have already been made about Avanti services. So the sleeper would be no better.

Similar noises have also been made about LNER services. So no alternative for the sleeper on the East Coast. That would effectively be the Edinburgh and Tyne signalling centres.

Guess we need to wait and see what is affected, but the outcome does not look good.

WCML and ECML will be open, just not overnight.