• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Sorry, but those cooked breakfasts in First Class are appalling. Worst thing I ever had, was like a 20p budget for those I reckon! The other food, namely the curry and brownies, and continental style breakfasts, are a lot better :D

Here's the best picture I could find, a (large) picture of the food in question. More like something you'd get on a plane.

Google 'Caledonian Sleeper continential' or similar and you'll get pictures of not only the other breakfast offering but other evening meals.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marionaki

Just a couple of more questions regarding our forth coming trip on the Fort William on the Caledonian Sleeper , on leaving your berth to visit the buffet do you have your own key to your berth ? and in the buffet do they serve draught beers or is it just bottled ? and is the buffet open all night till breakfast time ?? Thanking you all , last time I done a sleeper was 39 years ago :)
Regards Dave1954.

I was on the sleeper beginning of May to Edinburgh. It was the best train trip I ever made. Once the door of the berth closes behind you, it is locked. To open it, you need to find the sleeper attendant to unlock it. I stayed in the ever so cosy lounge car till way after one when it did close down selling drinks and food, but I guess you can still sit there. I had a very tasty game pate with oat cakes and wine. All very surprisingly reasonable prices. Callysleeper already answered your question about the beers. So, enjoy your trip!

Be3G

Established Member
Once the door of the berth closes behind you, it is locked. To open it, you need to find the sleeper attendant to unlock it.

Not strictly true: you can leave your door closed but unlocked, in which case an attendant's help isn't required to get back inside your cabin after a trip to the lounge car (or lavatories, for that matter!).

By the way (not aimed specifically at you Marionaki), I notice a lot of people call the cabin a ‘berth’, whereas the berths are the actual individual beds, either one or two, inside each cabin. I'm not being deliberately pedantic (honest :lol: ); I just thought it might be a good idea to point it out in case it causes someone confusion. (For example, I could imagine someone thinking ‘twin berths’ means two cabins, not two beds.)

Actually, coming to think of it, I'm only referring to the rooms containing the beds as cabins because that's the best word I can think of – is there an ‘official’ term?

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Sorry, but those cooked breakfasts in First Class are appalling. Worst thing I ever had, was like a 20p budget for those I reckon! The other food, namely the curry and brownies, and continental style breakfasts, are a lot better :D
Agreed, the evening food is pretty good (Another vote from me for the pate and oatcakes), and the continental breakfast is decent, but the cooked breakfast offering is utterly pointless. Cue mention of the "soggy sandwich of sadness" that was supposed to pass for a bacon roll that I, ahem, experienced/endured on my first trip on the sleeper. :|

thebass101

Hi,

I've read through this thread and found some useful advice.

I'm traveling on the sleeper train from Aberdeen to London tomorrow and had a few queries.

I booked my ticket last week and booked just a seat, I'm now thinking a berth would have been a better idea so was wondering if you get the option to or if its possible to upgrade to a berth on the day of travel if any are available. I've traveled on the Megabus from Aberdeen to London before and figure the seats can't be any worse than that but it would be nice to be able to lie down.

I have a Scotrail advance card, do I get any perks with this on the sleeper train. I've used it on Scotrail trains before and know you can sit in 1st class if there any spare seats for no extra cost.

thanks in advance for any answers

Last edited:

Marionaki

Not strictly true: you can leave your door closed but unlocked, in which case an attendant's help isn't required to get back inside your cabin after a trip to the lounge car (or lavatories, for that matter!).

By the way (not aimed specifically at you Marionaki), I notice a lot of people call the cabin a ‘berth’, whereas the berths are the actual individual beds, either one or two, inside each cabin. I'm not being deliberately pedantic (honest :lol: ); I just thought it might be a good idea to point it out in case it causes someone confusion. (For example, I could imagine someone thinking ‘twin berths’ means two cabins, not two beds.)

Actually, coming to think of it, I'm only referring to the rooms containing the beds as cabins because that's the best word I can think of – is there an ‘official’ term?

Yes, of course, you are right! I must have written too fast and not thinking. Cabin or compartment should have been said in my post. Anyway, my cabin mate did not lock the door from the inside and when I came from the lounge car, it did not open and she did not hear me knocking. I had to find the sleeper attendant to unlock it.

CallySleeper

Established Member
I booked my ticket last week and booked just a seat, I'm now thinking a berth would have been a better idea so was wondering if you get the option to or if its possible to upgrade to a berth on the day of travel if any are available.

Exactly what ticket do you hold and how much did you pay?

I have a Scotrail advance card, do I get any perks with this on the sleeper train. I've used it on Scotrail trains before and know you can sit in 1st class if there any spare seats for no extra cost.

Nope, sorry. Technically the free upgrade to 1st class on day trains is only at weekends.

thebass101

Thanks for the quick response

Exactly what ticket do you hold and how much did you pay?

It's a Sleeper Std Sgl and cost £69.85

Nope, sorry. Technically the free upgrade to 1st class on day trains is only at weekends.

Yeah I thought this might be the case but wanted to check just in case

Last edited:

CallySleeper

Established Member
You may be able to, dependant in part on space available. But I wouldn't be able to say either way, sorry.

Your best bet is to arrive early and speak to one of the platform staff checking folk in. Boarding commences from 21:15.

cjp

Hi,

I'm traveling on the sleeper train from Aberdeen to London tomorrow and had a few queries.

I booked my ticket last week and booked just a seat, I'm now thinking a berth would have been a better idea ....

thanks in advance for any answers

Too late now :( but Scotrail do make offers from time to time for Advance members that include sleepers - the current one is a first class return for £99 which compares well with the amount you paid for a seat.

thebass101

Too late now :( but Scotrail do make offers from time to time for Advance members that include sleepers - the current one is a first class return for £99 which compares well with the amount you paid for a seat.

I'll keep an eye out in the future for those deals.

Ended up in one of the cabins, asked the conductor if any were empty and there was one left. I was traveling with a friend so we decided to go for it and it cost us around £95 between us to upgrade. Ended up being an expensive single but worth it for a good nights sleep.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Ended up in one of the cabins, asked the conductor if any were empty and there was one left. I was traveling with a friend so we decided to go for it and it cost us around £95 between us to upgrade. Ended up being an expensive single but worth it for a good nights sleep.

Thanks for the report!

Dave1954

On Moderation
Massive problems last night on 1S25 I tell you more when I return meanwhile can anyone here can back track last nights problems. goin To view the southbound sleeper right now I wonder it'll will run.
Regards Dave1954.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Massive problems last night on 1S25 I tell you more when I return meanwhile can anyone here can back track last nights problems. goin To view the southbound sleeper right now I wonder it'll will run.
Regards Dave1954.

Dave,

Very sorry to hear about your disruption. Hopefully this didn't affect too much your enjoyment of the trip.

First half of the train, second half. What I understand occured was the ETH (Electric Train Heating) failed on the second coach which would unfortunately have been the one you were in I believe. After being diverted via Birmingham and then receiving attention from fitters at Crewe, I understand the affected coach was shunted out of the train and moved to the back. This obviously meant that the occupants were deturfed and moved most likely to the first coach - I hope there was room for you all.

After this, the whole train didn't reach Edinburgh until 06.36 (160L) and Fort William 12.09 (134L). The Inverness portion (which carried the aforementioned dead coach) was also terminated at Perth continued to Inverness as ECS.

The Fort William - Euston service tonight as I understand it will be made up of one sleeper car, a lounge car and a seated car. The train left Fort William on time. Again, hopefully there is room for everyone.

Last edited:

carriageline

Established Member
I heard through the grapevine it was having problems at Watford Junc, what I do not know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
I heard through the grapevine it was having problems at Watford Junc, what I do not know!

Apparently it stopped there initially due to the detection of the problem in the second coach, which had already been locked out of use at Euston. For some reason it was not possible to switch this out of the consist so the service continued (via Birmingham due to engineering possession) to Crewe where the defective coach was removed, although only after passengers in the leading coach were detrained for the move.

carriageline

Established Member
Does anyone know why there is a 66 on S96 today?

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
A sign of the times. Surely in the 'good old days' (note: these may not have actually existed), a divert along the ECML, either to Newcastle and via Hexam or all the way to London then the established diversion into Euston, or just a double-headed 67 from Edinburgh down to Carlisle would have been rustled up.

Now they just cancel the lot and stick the passengers on coaches.

carriageline

Established Member
Apparently both are cancelled tonight, with stock staying in the platform serving as hotels

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Seems a bit daft, surely they could run them to Carlisle and hope that either the wires have been fixed or at least arrange onward transport from there, rather than making people catch a morning Pendo all the way from Euston.

carriageline

Established Member
I'd hope to think this was the case, although I have information pointing to the contrary.

What do you mean? Looking on the TD at work I can't see S95, only S96. And 95 definetly hasn't returned to WICD. What information do you have?

CallySleeper

Established Member
What do you mean? Looking on the TD at work I can't see S95, only S96. And 95 definetly hasn't returned to WICD. What information do you have?

I can see 0S96 on p1 though no stock.

...it's just clicked that 'IBIS' on p15 is the sig being funny is it...?!

There is, it would appear stock in Glasgow Central and Aberdeen, though none in Edinburgh or Inverness. I understand 1B01/1Y11 should be running to Edinburgh and back.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Everything generally running OK this evening.

Spoke too soon...

carriageline

Established Member
I can see 0S96 on p1 though no stock.

...it's just clicked that 'IBIS' on p15 is the sig being funny is it...?!

There is, it would appear stock in Glasgow Central and Aberdeen, though none in Edinburgh or Inverness. I understand 1B01/1Y11 should be running to Edinburgh and back.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Spoke too soon...

That's strange, 5S96 is sitting there behind the loco (looking at the actual train Describer on the panel..), but OTT shows it as it's not.

And correct, got to have a sense of humour sometimes!

CallySleeper

Established Member
That's strange, 5S96 is sitting there behind the loco (looking at the actual train Describer on the panel..), but OTT shows it as it's not.

And correct, got to have a sense of humour sometimes!

Think there's a fault with the TDs on p1, they should be displaying 'PREM' and 'INN'.

GlosRail

I've booked myself a trip to Fort William from Crewe in September 1st Class on the sleeper. I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to be in Coach G - 7 Is this the middle of the coach away from the wheels?

My tickets arrived today and included a $2.50 voucher. Is this for use at the bar?

Also if there is a large delay like what has happened a couple of times this week what happens? Money back like on normal trains if over an hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.