• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marionaki

I booked a bargain berth (£19) midweek in May from Euston to Edinburgh. My berth is Lower 01 in Coach M. I suppose it is not very comfy over the wheels? Also, as it is midweek, maybe I have the cabin to myself? Would be great! Probably the first person who requests an upper berth, will be allocated to my cabin!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ModernRailways

Established Member
I booked a bargain berth (£19) midweek in May from Euston to Edinburgh. My berth is Lower 01 in Coach M. I suppose it is not very comfy over the wheels? Also, as it is midweek, maybe I have the cabin to myself? Would be great! Probably the first person who requests an upper berth, will be allocated to my cabin!

If I ever manage to get a bargain berth I always book two so I get the full cabin. Probably frowned upon by Scotrail but I want privacy and don't want to share with someone else who may not have high hygiene standards or are just plain weird :P

Enjoy your trip! The sleeper is one of the best ways to travel in my view - even above the wheels it's never seemed bad to me.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I booked a bargain berth (£19) midweek in May from Euston to Edinburgh. My berth is Lower 01 in Coach M. I suppose it is not very comfy over the wheels?
agreed, the ride is much smoother in the middle of the coach.
Also, as it is midweek, maybe I have the cabin to myself? Would be great! Probably the first person who requests an upper berth, will be allocated to my cabin!
Not sure about that. If you'd booked Watford Jn to Edinburgh the chances of that are much improved.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If I ever manage to get a bargain berth I always book two so I get the full cabin.
I'm sure you meant to say "I ensure a friend is with me, and my friend secures seats in the lounge car while I check us both in". Right?

kevconnor

That is a good price. In regards sleeping above the wheels I take the same approach to the night ferry as I do the sleeper and have a few wee drams before I turn in to aid my sleep.

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
agreed, the ride is much smoother in the middle of the coach.

Not sure about that. If you'd booked Watford Jn to Edinburgh the chances of that are much improved.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I'm sure you meant to say "I ensure a friend is with me, and my friend secures seats in the lounge car while I check us both in". Right?

Oh of course! My mistake! :lol:

Marionaki

Thank you all for your reply. It will also be my first time in Edinburgh, looking forward to it.

bnm

Established Member
This booking 'two berths for privacy' lark. All Sleeper passengers have to be named and a passenger list is kept. What happens if there's an emergency of some description? A 'missing' passenger is going to be a major headache for staff and/or emergency services.

Also somewhat selfish. Whilst you aren't denying ScotRail any revenue, you are potentially denying someone the opportunity of a Bargain Berth.

Want a berth to yourself? Pay the correct fare.

ModernRailways

Established Member
This booking 'two berths for privacy' lark. All Sleeper passengers have to be named and a passenger list is kept. What happens if there's an emergency of some description? A 'missing' passenger is going to be a major headache for staff and/or emergency services.

Also somewhat selfish. Whilst you aren't denying ScotRail any revenue, you are potentially denying someone the opportunity of a Bargain Berth.

Want a berth to yourself? Pay the correct fare.

Extreme, but whatever. I could always tell them someone is going to be along, but isn't here yet.

'Somewhat selfish', possibly but I don't want to be paying a fortune just for a berth to myself when I can pay for two standard tickets and get a berth to myself for a 1/4 of the price!

'Pay the correct fare' so you're saying I have to pay £200+ for First Class just for a berth to myself. I'd rather just pay £50 and get a berth to myself. Surely, you should be asking Scotrail why they don't have any single Standard class berths?

Marionaki

Hi
I am going on the Caledonian sleeper, bargain berth, in May from London to Edinburgh. I have an Advance loyalty card. Will I be able to use the First class lounge in Edinburgh on arrival in the morning?
Thanks.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Extreme, but whatever. I could always tell them someone is going to be along, but isn't here yet.

'Somewhat selfish', possibly but I don't want to be paying a fortune just for a berth to myself when I can pay for two standard tickets and get a berth to myself for a 1/4 of the price!

'Pay the correct fare' so you're saying I have to pay £200+ for First Class just for a berth to myself. I'd rather just pay £50 and get a berth to myself. Surely, you should be asking Scotrail why they don't have any single Standard class berths?

You can have solo occupancy of a twin (standard) cabin for less than £200 between London and Edinburgh. Sometimes you have to pay for the things you want, but if you like cake, you could just have an honest word with the on train staff, I'm sure they can be understanding and/or reasonable.

Marionaki

Just an update on my recent and first trip on the Caledonian Sleeper from Euston to Edinburgh. I would recommend it to anyone. What a wonderful experience! The lower berth (01) over the wheels was no problem. We took off an hour later due to a fatality somewhere, but the train made up for the lost time and we arrived in time in Edinburgh. The lounge car was superb, like a tiny pub! The man serving the food and drinks was very, very nice! The prices were surprisingly cheap. All in all, it was a trip to remember.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Good to hear :) And good to get feedback as to how the trip went :)

Yew

Established Member
Dont worry about being over the wheels, you'll get a good nights sleep. I did last time!

CallySleeper

Established Member
Just an update on my recent and first trip on the Caledonian Sleeper from Euston to Edinburgh. I would recommend it to anyone. What a wonderful experience! The lower berth (01) over the wheels was no problem. We took off an hour later due to a fatality somewhere, but the train made up for the lost time and we arrived in time in Edinburgh. The lounge car was superb, like a tiny pub! The man serving the food and drinks was very, very nice! The prices were surprisingly cheap. All in all, it was a trip to remember.

Great! Please do recommend it to others and hopefully make another trip yourself soon ;)

Dave1954

On Moderation
My Wife and I are planning a trip to Mallaig this September and will be travelling from Euston on The Caledonian Sleeper to Fort William. as its only 13 weeks away we like to book it some time this week , Which is the best way Online/ or going to your local station ? we both want a twin sleeping berth and on the return too , Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thanking you all in advance ...... Dave1954.

higthomas

Might be a good idea to try Scotrail telesales,08457 55 00 33 , they seem to know their stuff, so might be less hassle than someone who might not be very knowledgeable at your local station.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Dave, use either telesales or online. You will need to wait probably a couple of weeks at least however since bookings for sleeper services in '13 weeks time' are not currently open. You can either tell us when you're travelling or check their website here - the box on the right tells you when reservations are currently being taken until.

Dave1954

On Moderation
Thank you Higthomas and of course Cally :) I got your link saved , latest for bookings is August 24th which is way to early , so I will need to keep checking.
Thanking you both . Dave1954.

CallySleeper

Established Member
There are some standard 3-pin sockets in the lounge car. In each room there's a 2-plug shaver socket, but I'm not sure euro 2-pin plugs will fit into them.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
In each room there's a 2-plug shaver socket, but I'm not sure euro 2-pin plugs will fit into them.

They won't; Euro pins are a slightly different width apart. When I go to Paris or anywhere else in France I have to take an adapter so that my shaver fits.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
If you are travelling from Edinburgh, there are regular three-pin sockets in the first-class lounge which you can wait in, even if you are only in the seated accommodation.

Liam

Established Member
There are some standard 3-pin sockets in the lounge car.

There are, but whether they work or not is a different matter. I've never been able to charge anything on them, but my last sleeper trip was 2 or 3 years ago now.

Dave1954

On Moderation
Just to let you all know my Wife and I have brought our little break to the Highlands forward from September to July and we are fully booked on the Fort William Sleeper from Euston in the 1st week in July , looking forward to it very much :)as I have not done a sleeper since 1975 in the days of the old MK1s:) thank you for all your threads and replys regarding the Caledonian Sleeper, it has been fantastic reading . I keep you posted .
Regards Dave1954 .

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Hopefully it will be nice and warm. I have not sampled the Caledonian compartments, but the Mk2 seated car in March was inconceivably cold!

causton

Established Member
Best of luck. Now is a good time to appreciate the sleeper services as they are, as we never know what they might be like when Serco take over and get new sleeper vehicles - I hope they keep their charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.