• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambrian hourly service consultation

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I have just been told when the Cambrian liaison group met the Minister last week,she was unable to give them a timetable as expected,The Minister told the delegation who had traveled to see what was on offer,"The timetable is still being worked on"

An interesting state of affairs:) has the meeting was supposed to view the polished timetable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The infrastructure with regards to Machynlleth is part of the discussion on the hourly service which is one reason why they are installing a lift at Machynlleth.
The whole upgrading of the Cambrian line has been to do with the hourly service. Aren't they related?

I think they are, that's why your posts have been approved. I'm trying to ensure we don't go too far off topic inadvertently.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
It is still 6-car then? Gareth Marston was mistaken?

Only 4 cars come past my office window on a daily basis @ 1040.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have just been told when the Cambrian liaison group met the Minister last week,she was unable to give them a timetable as expected,The Minister told the delegation who had traveled to see what was on offer,"The timetable is still being worked on"

An interesting state of affairs:) has the meeting was supposed to view the polished timetable.

Yet in the minutes of the line liaison committee meeting on the 6th after meeting the Minister members of the delegation are quoted as saying the tt is similar to what's doing rounds on internet I.e open train times.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yet in the minutes of the line liaison committee meeting on the 6th after meeting the Minister members of the delegation are quoted as saying the tt is similar to what's doing rounds on internet I.e open train times.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps they are still trying to fit the 07 47 ex Wrexham in somewhere !!!

The timetable apart from odd shunt moves should be finalised and published and accessible through RTT by next week to meet the 12 week deadline required for booking.

Last edited:

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Yet in the minutes of the line liaison committee meeting on the 6th after meeting the Minister members of the delegation are quoted as saying the tt is similar to what's doing rounds on internet I.e open train times.

The timetable apart from odd shunt moves should be finalised and published and accessible through RTT by next week to meet the 12 week deadline required for booking.[/QUOTE]

RTT is up to 12 May tonight so not long now.

merlodlliw

Established Member

The timetable apart from odd shunt moves should be finalised and published and accessible through RTT by next week to meet the 12 week deadline required for booking.

RTT is up to 12 May tonight so not long now.
[/QUOTE]

I have no doubt they are looking at juggling,it now looks like "Saving the 0747" is one of the best organised save a service fights ATW have had to put up with so far. We hope for the best.

Gareth Marston

Established Member

I have no doubt they are looking at juggling,it now looks like "Saving the 0747" is one of the best organised save a service fights ATW have had to put up with so far. We hope for the best.[/QUOTE]

Having actually been involved in an actual save of service. The 0810 Machynlleth to Aberystwyth back in 2005 ill reserve judgement on that statement for now!

They'll be he'll to pay if there isn't an enhanced Cambrian service come May 18th.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Last edited:

merlodlliw

Established Member
I have been sent the latest edition of SARPA newsletter,with new timings and comment,link below

http://sarpa.info/news.html

This obviously went to press before The WG Rail Minister announced the 0747 ex Wrexham to Birmingham was saved and its 158 stock would not be used on the early morning Shrewsbury to Aberyswyth service, we await info what stock will now be used and from where.

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
I note the 2130 from Mach to Pwllheli means passengers will have a wait of 45 minutes off the train from Shrewsbury?

I asked that question in post #933 above, and didn't really receive a satisfactory explanation.

I suspect it may have something to do with crew hours.
Good job you weren't trying to book on HOWL as there a couple of trains missing. Obviously not in RTT either.

More than a couple!

The following trains are missing off RTT:
10:09 Shrewsbury-Swansea (starts at Crewe, Crewe-Shrewsbury portion also missing)
18:25 Shrewsbury-Swansea (starts at Crewe, Crewe-Shrewsbury portion also missing)
18:21 Swansea - Shrewsbury

Also, the 06:18 Llandrindod - Crewe (per consultation timetable) is shown as leaving at 06:13 on RTT.

dave_wm

Is there any explanation for why 2J23 1900 Machynlleth to Pwllheli doesn't call at Penrhyndeudraeth or Minffordd? It seems to stop at all the non-request stops apart from these two, along with a few other lightly used stations along the coast...

EDIT: Ah - it crosses 2G80, the 2012 Pwllheli to Machynlleth at Porthmadog, which then crosses 2J27 2130 Machynlleth to Pwllheli at Tywyn. Looks like both of those are having to run a few minutes later due to the addition of 2J23 to the timetable.

Last edited:

merlodlliw

Established Member
Is there any explanation for why 2J23 1900 Machynlleth to Pwllheli doesn't call at Penrhyndeudraeth or Minffordd? It seems to stop at all the non-request stops apart from these two, along with a few other lightly used stations along the coast...

EDIT: Ah - it crosses 2G80, the 2012 Pwllheli to Machynlleth at Porthmadog, which then crosses 2J27 2130 Machynlleth to Pwllheli at Tywyn. Looks like both of those are having to run a few minutes later due to the addition of 2J23 to the timetable.

On all other services other than the 1900 both stations are not request stops. so I guess this needs pointing out to ATW, under consultation

Last edited:

Gareth Marston

Established Member
And a final question - why does the last northbound coastal train from Machynlleth leave there at 21:30, 44 minutes after the "connecting" service from Birmingham has continued on its way to Aberystwyth? Why cannot it leave directly after it, like all the other trains during the day?

Could it to be waiting for a unit being available after fuelling due to the current one running ECS for additional ex Aberystwyth after working into Machynlleth from Pwllheli. ATW might wish to be quiet on this.[/QUOTE]

Comes down from Shrewsbury as a 4 car 1809 ex INTL. Rear unit goes on shed at Mach at moment. 1737 ex Pwllheli terminates at Mach so choice of units.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Could it to be waiting for a unit being available after fuelling due to the current one running ECS for additional ex Aberystwyth after working into Machynlleth from Pwllheli. ATW might wish to be quiet on this.

Comes down from Shrewsbury as a 4 car 1809 ex INTL. Rear unit goes on shed at Mach at moment. 1737 ex Pwllheli terminates at Mach so choice of units.[/QUOTE]

Would appear to be unit off 17 37 ex Pwllheli, as the unit coming down ex Birmingham could require fuelling, whereas a fuelled up unit would be required at Pwllheli (no facilities there) prior to flowing days work.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Comes down from Shrewsbury as a 4 car 1809 ex INTL. Rear unit goes on shed at Mach at moment. 1737 ex Pwllheli terminates at Mach so choice of units.

Would appear to be unit off 17 37 ex Pwllheli, as the unit coming down ex Birmingham could require fuelling, whereas a fuelled up unit would be required at Pwllheli (no facilities there) prior to flowing days work.[/QUOTE]

The 1737 ex Pwllheli is the rear unit off the 1209 ex International which has come down ex Holyhead c 0830 ish so has clocked some miles up.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Would appear to be unit off 17 37 ex Pwllheli, as the unit coming down ex Birmingham could require fuelling, whereas a fuelled up unit would be required at Pwllheli (no facilities there) prior to flowing days work.

The 1737 ex Pwllheli is the rear unit off the 1209 ex International which has come down ex Holyhead c 0830 ish so has clocked some miles up.

Upon further recalling and checking through, I think now that the front unit from Birmingham will come off at Shrewsbury to work 19 24 Shrewsbury to Chester (see my post #974). Don't take all this re last Pwllheli as gospel. Gareth, but just an idea. Seems ATW reluctant to give a full answer.

I have been looking at National Rail Journey Planner for the May Timetable and have discovered that all the Coast Trains indicate passengers should change at Machynlleth onto the Aberystwyth service eastwards, whereas we all know that they are almost all through portions. This occurs in the reverse direction also. The current details are showing no change but through train.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.