• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge South new station construction progress.

mr_moo

Some photos from earlier today. The edge for platform 3 has been extended and the OLE to the north of the busway bridge is now partially wired up. There was lots more activity down by Addenbrookes road but I did not have time to go have a look there today.

Anyone have any ideas what the blue pipes are for?

Great pics as always neill! Lots of OLE works this weekend indeec. We're making some great progress.

Blue pipes - these are for the diversion of a water main. There's an existing main across the site that gets destroyed by the new station building, so this is the replacement.

Question for people who know more: Are we going to continue having bus replacement most weekends for the whole of the next 3(?) Years whilst they build this? ( + Possibly another X years as they rip it all up again to build EWR!)

Getting pretty b****** annoying not have a weekend train service on either line most of the time.

Yeah, sorry, we have been quite busy!
There's another possession next weekend and then we let you take some trains again for many weeks. We've got a lot to do but I appreciate the disruption is annoying.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWM

Established Member
Won't just be Cambridge South construction but re-signalling for Cambridge PSB (and someother bits) in that area as well.

That's making it even more disruptive for those of us north of Cambridge, as the weekends over the past few months that south of Cambridge has been running, Ely-Cambridge has been blocked instead. We've also not had any London services from Ely on all five of the April/May bank holidays, which is quite frustrating.

All that being said, being able to get a train to Addenbrookes wil be incredibly useful, so this will be great when it opens. But its a shame the work hasn't been a bit more distributed to allow the occasional weekend travel to London.

higthomas

That's making it even more disruptive for those of us north of Cambridge, as the weekends over the past few months that south of Cambridge has been running, Ely-Cambridge has been blocked instead. We've also not had any London services from Ely on all five of the April/May bank holidays, which is quite frustrating.
Luckily we haven't suffered that, but it does sound immensely frustrating.

I'd have licked them to have done a few longer block possessions rather than every weekend, a la BML. But perhaps that's because I don't commute by train...

Snow1964

Established Member
DfT have formally launched start of construction of new Cambridge Biomedical campus station 5th June
Rail passengers are set to benefit from a new station in Cambridge, offering quick, easy and accessible links to its world-leading biomedical campus, thanks to government support announced by Rail Minister Huw Merriman today (5 June 2023).

Spades are in the ground to deliver a new, 4-platform, fully accessible station at Cambridge Biomedical Campus in the south of the city by 2025, offering easier access to Europe’s largest centre of medical research and health science.

With around £200 million government funding earmarked for the build, the new station will bring together world-leading academics and back the government’s ambition for the UK to become a science superpower by 2030. It will also support rapid growth in the area, which is expected to welcome 27,000 jobs and 4,000 new homes by 2031.

zwk500

Veteran Member
DfT have formally launched start of construction of new Cambridge Biomedical campus station 5th June

Laughably, there is not a single mention - bar the tiny photo accompanying the press release - that the station's name is Cambridge South not Cambridge Biomedial Campus.

James Finch

DfT have formally launched start of construction of new South Cambridge station

I also find it concerning that the government can't spell Stansted right (they wrote Stanstead Airport!)

Also curious that it will link to Eurostar, which almost certainly confirms (all?) Thameslink services are to stop there, as well as the said link to Stansted implying the SSD-NRW service (and XC?) will stop too. By this information, it'll get (at least) 5tph:

2tph Thameslink
1tph GA (SSD-NRW)
1tp2h XC
1tph GA slow (to LST)

mr_moo

Further to the above, the rail minister visited the site this morning as part of the government announcment.

It's interesting to see the announcement being made on a site with the front face wall of platform 3 in the background!
They are standing at the North end of the site, where the tracks for platforms 3 and 4 will eventually be.

Here's the BBC article:

Government agrees to fund £200m Cambridge South station​

• Published
    • 2 hours ago

Rail minister Huw Merriman with a construction worker during his visit to the site where the station is being built
Image source, Andrew Sinclair/BBC
Image caption,
Rail minister Huw Merriman said it was an "incredibly ambitious" project
By Andrew Sinclair and Kate Scotter
BBC News, Cambridgeshire

The government has agreed to fully fund a new £200m railway station.
Work has already begun on the Cambridge South station, next to the city's Biomedical Campus.
It is expected to serve 1.8 million passengers a year, making it easier for people to get to the research site from the main Cambridge station and as part of the new East-West Rail line.
Visiting the site, rail minister Huw Merriman said it was an "incredibly ambitious" project.
"But it's something that we want to do. This will help deliver the workforce for Cambridge," he added.
The station, which will be Cambridge's third with its central station and Cambridge North, is expected to be open within two years.
Construction of the site is said to have created 300 new jobs.
Construction work to build the Cambridge South railway station
Image source, Andrew Sinclair/BBC
Image caption,
Work has already begun on the £200m scheme
Like East-West Rail, for which the proposed route of the final stretch was recently announced, the government is funding infrastructure projects which could encourage greater investment in science.
It said it saw Cambridge as a key part of its aim to make Britain a "science superpower by 2030".
Katie Frost, Network Rail's route director for East Anglia, said: "Rail continues to be an environmentally sustainable form of transport and I know the minister's announcement will be welcomed by the customers and communities we serve across Cambridgeshire and beyond."
Indicative visualisation of Cambridge South station from the east
Image source, Network Rail
Image caption,
The Cambridge South station is being built next to the city's Biomedical Campus
How station may look from Hobson's Park
Image source, Network Rail
Image caption,
Once open, it is expected to serve 1.8 million passengers a year
Kristin-Anne Rutter, executive director at Cambridge Biomedical Campus Ltd, added: "We are delighted that the Cambridge Biomedical Campus is to get its own railway station in less than two years' time.
"Better public transport links will be critical in fulfilling our vision of a more sustainable campus."

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s all about the spin isn’t it - apparently this is an “incredibly ambitious project”. o_O

No DfT, that would be something like HS2 - building a new station on an existing line has been a routine undertaking ever since we’ve had railways... :rolleyes:

Magdalia

Established Member
Further to the above, the rail minister visited the site this morning as part of the government announcment.
Is this announcement any more than a ministerial photo opportunity, timed to follow on from the East West Rail announcement?

Interesting to see from the BBC piece that The Rail Minister broke with the Johnson/Sunak tradition and has appeared without a hard hat or an orange jacket.

mr_moo

Is this announcement any more than a ministerial photo opportunity, timed to follow on from the East West Rail announcement?
Yes, very much so. It's the formal announcement of commitment of full funding from the government to the project. I think the East-West rail timing was more of a coincidence personally, but who ever really knows in the world of politics!

Interesting to see from the BBC piece that The Rail Minister broke with the Johnson/Sunak tradition and has appeared without a hard hat or an orange jacket.
Quite! That first picture is quite the contrast with our Murphy lead in oranges and hard hat and the minister in a suit!

D365

Veteran Member
It’s all about the spin isn’t it - apparently this is an “incredibly ambitious project”. o_O
Ambitious by Cambridgeshire standards, in so far as that the scope of work does not include vast amounts of bus infrastructure!

Magdalia

Established Member

This has just been the lead story on BBC Look East. This included an interview with Mr Merriman and lots of nice footage of the construction work and the Biomedical Campus.

And Andrew Sinclair didn't miss the opportunity to also ask Mr Merriman about Ely and Haughley, which got a suitably non-committal response.

I don't look myself but I understand that local TV news programmes can be viewed on iplayer for up to 24 hours.

dk1

Veteran Member
I am convinced that the 1.8m passengers per annum will be easily surpassed within a couple of years.

cle

Established Member
I would think both GA Liverpool St services would call, no?

mr_moo

This has just been the lead story on BBC Look East. This included an interview with Mr Merriman and lots of nice footage of the construction work and the Biomedical Campus.

And Andrew Sinclair didn't miss the opportunity to also ask Mr Merriman about Ely and Haughley, which got a suitably non-committal response.

I don't look myself but I understand that local TV news programmes can be viewed on iplayer for up to 24 hours.
Thanks for pointing out.

Here's the direct link for anyone who wants to watch it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001mql1/look-east-evening-news-05062023
The clip will expire at 6:57PM tomorrow (6th).

Note that station opening was stated as hopefully being in "early 2025" and if you looked at the construction schedule which was shown briefly along the bottom of the animation it ends in March 2025...

Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member
Those in the East who tune into BBC1 now may get some of this repeated on the late local news in a few minutes time!

sharpener

I also find it concerning that the government can't spell Stansted right (they wrote Stanstead Airport!)

Also curious that it will link to Eurostar, which almost certainly confirms (all?) Thameslink services are to stop there, as well as the said link to Stansted implying the SSD-NRW service (and XC?) will stop too. By this information, it'll get (at least) 5tph:

2tph Thameslink
1tph GA (SSD-NRW)
1tp2h XC
1tph GA slow (to LST)

Yes, watched it last night. Just a political photo-op; with the work already well under way the "announcement" clearly serves no other purpose.

With this mix and frequency are we going to have a DDUU track arrangement, so that ppl travelling to Cambridge Central can wait on the one platform and don't have to cross the bridge? Since they may well not care who the operator of the next train is.

In an ideal world there would be a flyover S of the station to accomplish this cf Wimbledon - Earlsfield. No doubt been discussed extensively in the past. The piecemeal development of Cambridge S/EWR shows just how rubbish we are at infrastructure planning!

mr_moo

With this mix and frequency are we going to have a DDUU track arrangement, so that ppl travelling to Cambridge Central can wait on the one platform and don't have to cross the bridge? Since they may well not care who the operator of the next train is.

In an ideal world there would be a flyover S of the station to accomplish this cf Wimbledon - Earlsfield. No doubt been discussed extensively in the past. The piecemeal development of Cambridge S/EWR shows just how rubbish we are at infrastructure planning!

As per the plans, it will indeed be DDUU as the outer two platforms are simply loops off the two main lines.

When (If?) East West rail comes you'll note significant changes in the area again, so after that who knows, but given the platform arrangements are two outer platforms and an island platform in the middle there will always be an element of 'which platform do I head down the steps for the next train' regardless of what you do with the tracks.

sharpener

As per the plans, it will indeed be DDUU as the outer two platforms are simply loops off the two main lines.

When (If?) East West rail comes you'll note significant changes in the area again, so after that who knows, but given the platform arrangements are two outer platforms and an island platform in the middle there will always be an element of 'which platform do I head down the steps for the next train' regardless of what you do with the tracks.
Sorry, I was under the mistaken impression there were going to be two island platforms, and four tracks into Cambridge Central. I now see the track arrangements are described in post #605 upthread. So AIUI there won't be more tracks either N or S of Cambridge S until EWR arrives.

A while back I had a good nosey around near Long Road bridge and it looked to me that you could get two more OHLE tracks through the side spans, is that definitely not the case?

camflyer

I am convinced that the 1.8m passengers per annum will be easily surpassed within a couple of years.

With two brand new hospitals proposed for the site, several other R&D buildings going up and a proposed hotel that is very possible.

A lot of thought needs to be put into how people get around the site. The new station is on the opposite side of the Biomedical Campus to the outpatients dept and it's quite a long walk.

James Finch

A lot of thought needs to be put into how people get around the site. The new station is on the opposite side of the Biomedical Campus to the outpatients dept and it's quite a long walk.
I'm sure with a bit of decent investment, the existing bus network could be beefed up to solve this.

Is there anything in the design for new stops on the busway, or for existing services?

neill

Some photos from this morning. Not a politician in sight :).

Busway crossing has made good progress since last week. Maybe it will reopen soon, although looks like there is work starting on laying water pipe through the ‘active recreation area’ beyond the crossing so could be a while yet.

Didn’t spot any major updates to the station itself, although more platform edge blocks were being delivered to the eastern side of the site as I went past. You don’t appreciate how big they are until you see how few fit on on an HGV!

Attachments

• IMG_4026.jpeg
    IMG_4026.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4027.jpeg
    IMG_4027.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4030.jpeg
    IMG_4030.jpeg
    476.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4031.jpeg
    IMG_4031.jpeg
    617.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4032.jpeg
    IMG_4032.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4033.jpeg
    IMG_4033.jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 103

mr_moo

Series 1 OLE haters...I'm afraid that looks like one of the beefy anchor portals from the GWML - bring them on I say! <D<D<D

(Meant to reply to this one before but forgot - sorry)

Correct. Series 1. :)

Sorry, I was under the mistaken impression there were going to be two island platforms, and four tracks into Cambridge Central. I now see the track arrangements are described in post #605 upthread. So AIUI there won't be more tracks either N or S of Cambridge S until EWR arrives.

A while back I had a good nosey around near Long Road bridge and it looked to me that you could get two more OHLE tracks through the side spans, is that definitely not the case?
Indeed, just the loops. EWR will change all that, but that's nothing to do with the Cambridge South project.

Long road - I did wonder myself if it used to be 4-tracks through here. I have no idea. It does look like there might be space for them.
For CSIE that was never the intention so we haven't looked at that at all, but EWR will undoubtedly have a look to see if it could work.
It does look very much like there should be space for 4 tracks.
Here's a better picture for you:
1686142983268.png

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That bridge photo suggests to me it’s been strengthened retrospectively by additional steelwork. So perhaps it ‘just’ needs a new continuous deck on the existing wider abutments? I think one of the EWR documents produced a couple of years ago suggested that bridge needed ‘lengthening’.

zwk500

Veteran Member
That bridge photo suggests to me it’s been strengthened retrospectively by additional steelwork. So perhaps it ‘just’ needs a new continuous deck on the existing wider abutments? I think one of the EWR documents produced a couple of years ago suggested that bridge needed ‘lengthening’.
The spans next to each abutment look wide enough for a train to physically fit through - although the dynamic profile may limit the speed available through the bridge. It depends what's on the other side of the fence and whether that needs to stay on that rough line or if it could be moved completely.

a good off

(Meant to reply to this one before but forgot - sorry)

Correct. Series 1. :)

Indeed, just the loops. EWR will change all that, but that's nothing to do with the Cambridge South project.

Long road - I did wonder myself if it used to be 4-tracks through here. I have no idea. It does look like there might be space for them.
For CSIE that was never the intention so we haven't looked at that at all, but EWR will undoubtedly have a look to see if it could work.
Here's a better picture for you:
View attachment 136807
There was an Up loop which pretty much mirrored the formation of the Down. This was removed in the early 70s when Trumpington signal box closed. Never 4 tracks under the bridge.

tspaul26

Established Member

The spans next to each abutment look wide enough for a train to physically fit through - although the dynamic profile may limit the speed available through the bridge. It depends what's on the other side of the fence and whether that needs to stay on that rough line or if it could be moved completely.
EWR Co currently anticipates that bridge widening will be required in order to accommodate four-tracking.

Magdalia

Established Member
There was an Up loop which pretty much mirrored the formation of the Down. This was removed in the early 70s when Trumpington signal box closed. Never 4 tracks under the bridge.
This is correct. I hope that this link will work to demonstrate.

LMS 2MT 2-6-0 No 46467 with an up freight leaving the up goods loop south of Cambridge at Trumpington on Friday 7 July 1961. The photographer is on Long Road bridge with Trumpington signal box just out of shot on the down side of the line. The Bedford line is far side of the sidings on the left and in the extreme distance is the LNWR signal box

For CSIE that was never the intention
But this isn't. The original Cambridge South proposal did include 4 tracks between Shepreth Branch Junction and Cambridge. It was descoped between the first and second consultations.

I suspect that one of the main reasons for that was the cost of dealing with Long Road bridge.