• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge South new station construction progress.

mr_moo

I‘m confused now. o_O I thought you’d said the black waterproof coating was on the inside, so isn’t that right hand wall the back face of P4?

Sorry, I'm a twit. I meant rear face. I wrote front face. Oops. :)
You're absolutely right - that's the front face wall of P3 plus the rear of P4.

Justifiably!

I think we all appreciate being given so much insight into the work involved in bringing this project to completion - on top of your day job!
No probs. I love sharing my project and love how people are interested in what we're doing. I'm being careful what I share of course and there's some details I am not allowed to share, but I love teaching and sharing and giving talks and getting local interest etc. Assuming I stay on the project I'll be updating this post with progress photos until opening day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sorry, I'm a twit. I meant rear face. I wrote front face. Oops. :)
You're absolutely right - that's the front face wall of P3 plus the rear of P4.
Thanks. :D What I was wondering, is it intended that the new tracks will be laid directly into their final position, (ie in correct alignment with the platform wall sections or copings - if already fitted), or will there be a transitional stage to keep running trains safely clear of the work still in progress?

I suppose as it’s an electrified railway they won’t want unnecessary track slews though…

mr_moo

Thanks. :D What I was wondering, is it intended that the new tracks will be laid directly into their final position, (ie in correct alignment with the platform wall sections or copings - if already fitted), or will there be a transitional stage to keep running trains safely clear of the work still in progress?

I suppose as it’s an electrified railway they won’t want unnecessary track slews though…
Between the platform faces the tracks through platforms 3 and 4 will start to appear soonish, and they will come into use, on their final alignment, this Christmas.
Platform 4 will be the temporary Down Main, platform 3 will be the temporary Up Main. Come full comissioning these will change to Down Loop and Down Main respectively.

Naturally the alignments outside the platform area are temporary to get back into the existing tracks.

Thus, they will be in correct alignment with respect to the platform walls, but copings etc wont be fitted for quite a while yet though.

We don't want uneccesary works at all where was can help it - there's plenty or work happening to do as little temporary stuff as we can of course!

mr_moo

We're in the news again! Not quite so great this time, just the upcoming engineering works dates.

Exec summary: weekends starting September 16, September 23, October 28, November 4, November 18 and November 25 - alongside Sunday, December 3

All the weekends that trains will not run while new Cambridge station is being built this Autumn​

Rail replacement buses will lead to longer journeys

Passengers at Cambridge station will have longer journeys on rail replacement buses across September, October, November and into December. This will allow time for a new Cambridge South station to be built and old signalling equipment to be replaced.

People using Greater Anglia, Great Northern, Thameslink and Cross Country services will have to travel via rail replacement buses during the weekends starting September 16, September 23, October 28, November 4, November 18 and November 25 - alongside Sunday, December 3.

Train services to the north of Cambridge will also be impacted due to engineering work between Ely, Peterborough and Kings Lynn on the weekends starting October 7, October 14 and October 21.

Katie Frost, Network Rail’s route director for Anglia, said: “There is never a good time to close a busy railway. But, to keep our construction teams safe, we have to stop trains running so that these important works can take place.”

The re-signalling project aims to improve the reliability of trains, reduce the need for maintenance, and prepare the platform for future digital technologies. The new Cambridge South station is expected to ease congestion and provide access to employment opportunities in the southern part of the county.

Jamie Burles, Greater Anglia’s managing director, thanked customers for their patience and commented: “This improvement work is extremely important to help maintain the safe and reliable running of the railway. Passengers are advised to check before they travel and allow more time for their journey.”

Disruptions and rail replacement services can be checked via National Rail’s website - or the website of the train operator.

Jenny Saunders, customer services director for Thameslink and Great Northern, said: “Network Rail’s major investment in Cambridge will mean more reliable train services and fewer delays in the future, and we thank our passengers for their patience while this vital improvement work continues.”

mr_moo

So, this weekend sees another possession for us.

FYI it will be primarily OLE works, plus some earthworks and UTX installations, plus other less exciting stuff like surveys. Works (well, ones that are worth looking at) mostly centred around the Long road to Nine Wells area.
I'll be out there in my oranges too so I hope to share some photos next week from inside the possession.

FYI here's a few photos of progress in the last couple of weeks for you too.

Platform 1 coming on well:
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-11 at 17.10.59.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-09-11 at 17.10.59 (1).jpeg

Some more OLE masts have gone up, and these show well the change in levels that are coming:
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-13 at 19.53.14.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-09-13 at 19.53.14(1).jpeg

There's a lot of fill coming in - See mount Cambridge!
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-11 at 17.10.58.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-09-11 at 17.10.58(1).jpeg

We also have the water main diversion ongoing:
P1013194.JPGP1013199.JPGP1013206.JPG

We've been busy... :)

We also have completed the guided busway crossing. Not in use (for pedestrians) yet though.
P1013191.JPGP1013192.JPG

One more - the water main goes underneath the guided busway crossing:
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-01 at 16.29.33.jpeg

Last edited:

neill

Here is how things look right now. Lots of earthworks and a crane. Maybe @mr_moo is out there somewhere in orange!

Attachments

• IMG_4986.jpeg
    IMG_4986.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_4985.jpeg
    IMG_4985.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4983.jpeg
    IMG_4983.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_4984.jpeg
    IMG_4984.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4987.jpeg
    IMG_4987.jpeg
    691.9 KB · Views: 164

Jimcam

Here is how things look right now. Lots of earthworks and a crane. Maybe @mr_moo is out there somewhere in orange!
Was there myself this morning. As a local resident, the updates from Mr Moo and others are invaluable. Am I correct in thinking that the two long platform edges visible are the edge of the extreme eastern platform (future Up Loop?) and the western edge of the central island platform (future Down Main?)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Was there myself this morning. As a local resident, the updates from Mr Moo and others are invaluable. Am I correct in thinking that the two long platform edges visible are the edge of the extreme eastern platform (future Up Loop?) and the western edge of the central island platform (future Down Main?)
Yes, that’s right. One tip for orientation is that it is the inside faces of the various walls that have the full height black protective coatings.

The last picture in post #705 is a good example showing the rear faces of the two platforms you mentioned.

higthomas

Other than the Busway, what other buses may serve South? Will it be a worthy alternative to people in the west of Cambridge?
Quite a few, including the 1 from Cherry Hinton serve addenbrokes bus station, but that's a fair walk away. Only the A and U really get close. https://www.cuh.nhs.uk/documents/1376/CBC_map_AW_March2022.pdf is a map of the biomedical campus which shows what buses stop where nearby.

So I think it will be, but only really by bike.

neill

Other than the Busway, what other buses may serve South? Will it be a worthy alternative to people in the west of Cambridge?
I have not seen any published info on this yet, but my assumption is that there would be few buses serving the station itself given the proximity of the Addenbrookes bus station and very limited forecourt space around the new rail station for buses to stop.

Which reminds me that https://assets.nationalrail.co.uk/e...04c9c517fe08bbdbda4/TOCs_AS_v55_July_2023.pdf suggests cross country services won’t stop at Cambridge South.

Farigiraf

Quite a few, including the 1 from Cherry Hinton serve addenbrokes bus station, but that's a fair walk away. Only the A and U really get close. https://www.cuh.nhs.uk/documents/1376/CBC_map_AW_March2022.pdf is a map of the biomedical campus which shows what buses stop where nearby.

I have not seen any published info on this yet, but my assumption is that there would be few buses serving the station itself given the proximity of the Addenbrookes bus station and very limited forecourt space around the new rail station for buses to stop.
Which reminds me that https://assets.nationalrail.co.uk/e...04c9c517fe08bbdbda4/TOCs_AS_v55_July_2023.pdf suggests cross country services won’t stop at Cambridge South.
Thanks

Checking maps, cycling to Central and South is about the same distance for me, I'll probably use Central for Stansted and services north, and South to get to London. Might save me a few pounds being one stop closer :)

Magdalia

Established Member

Addenbrookes Bus Station is a long way from Cambridge South station, about 1km.

The Addenbrookes map is out of date because it does not include the autumn 2022 Stagecoach changes.

The 25 now runs between the Babraham and Trumpington Park and Rides and stops near the new station.

The 7 (to from Shelford, Sawston and Saffron Walden) still runs through the Biomedical Campus but currently does not stop between near the Rosie and the Trumpington side of Hobsons Park.

It is not clear yet what bus stop provision there will be in Francis Crick Avenue once the station is open. The bus stops in front of Papworth Hospital are protected by rising bollards and only used by busway vehicles.

Checking maps, cycling to Central and South is about the same distance for me
But there will be lots of cycle parking on both sides of the railway.

WesternBiker

Addenbrookes Bus Station is a long way from Cambridge South station, about 1km.

The Addenbrookes map is out of date because it does not include the autumn 2022 Stagecoach changes.

The 25 now runs between the Babraham and Trumpington Park and Rides and stops near the new station.

The 7 (to from Shelford, Sawston and Saffron Walden) still runs through the Biomedical Campus but currently does not stop between near the Rosie and the Trumpington side of Hobsons Park.

It is not clear yet what bus stop provision there will be in Francis Crick Avenue once the station is open. The bus stops in front of Papworth Hospital are protected by rising bollards and only used by busway vehicles.
Well, let's hope they improve signage around the campus once the station is open. At the moment it's awful (and there are no maps, which would be really useful). We walked from the Bus station to Papworth recently and we would not have got there without the map in my phone (and it was a good 10-15 minute walk). When we got to the hospital, the staff said people always getting lost trying to get there, unless they come by taxi. On the return journey, they told us how to get to the bus station by walking through the shopping and reception of Adenbrooke's. But we would never have known otherwise.

wagnaga

Thanks

Checking maps, cycling to Central and South is about the same distance for me, I'll probably use Central for Stansted and services north, and South to get to London. Might save me a few pounds being one stop closer :)
Does Cambridge North cost anymore or is it likely that the three stations will be considered a group with the same pricing?

mr_moo

Nope, missed me again! :)
I was on site, just not captured in your photos. I walked 5 miles today up and down that bit of track. Fun! Back tomorrow...

Was there myself this morning. As a local resident, the updates from Mr Moo and others are invaluable.
Thank you.:)

Interesting. Naturally, I absolutely cannot say anything about which services are likely to stop and which will not until it's officially announced (and that will be a while away yet) but interesting to note that and it's not a surprise.
To be fair, XC do focus on major stations only.

Last edited:

higthomas

Does Cambridge North cost anymore or is it likely that the three stations will be considered a group with the same pricing?
Weirdly, whilst they're not currently a station group for some reason, there is an easement that says tickets to north are valid to "central" and vice versa. I'd hope they just become a proper group once south is built

neill

A few more photos from earlier this afternoon, including a few from the Addenbrookes road bridge. A clearer view of the OLE works and possibly something being dug under the track near the station end of the site.

Attachments

• IMG_4998.jpeg
    IMG_4998.jpeg
    510.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4999.jpeg
    IMG_4999.jpeg
    573.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5001.jpeg
    IMG_5001.jpeg
    450.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5002.jpeg
    IMG_5002.jpeg
    681.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5003.jpeg
    IMG_5003.jpeg
    669.6 KB · Views: 122

mr_moo

Hi everyone.

I've got my photos from last week sorted out and have some pics to share.
@neill - Great pics as always. Nice to see the wider view while I focus on the stuff closer up. One day you'll get me in one of your photos!

Platform 1, and the base of what will eventually become the Up loop.

P1013325.JPG

Rear of front face wall of platform 3 in foreground, rear wall of platform 4 in background. This area is where the tracks will be moved to this coming Christmas.
P1013330.JPG

Just some cool pics of the site:
P1013332.JPGP1013352.JPGP1013359.JPG

Next up, here's is that thing that @neill mentioned he saw:
P1013628.JPGutx north 2.jpegutx north.jpeg
This is a future services run / UTX. We're building this section before we build the tracks on this side. After Christmas, we'll then remove the existing tracks and construct the rest. This avoids us having to dig our operational tracks at all for this one.

We built a new UTX a little south of addenbrookes road bridge:
P1013520.JPGP1013528.JPGutx done.jpeg

The water main diversion also continues:
P1013372.JPGP1013456.JPGP1013459.JPGwater.jpeg

And a big focus of the weekend was installation of large OLE structures, for which we had a crane on site. Cranes always make great photos!
P1013468.JPGP1013469.JPGP1013475.JPGP1013476.JPGP1013480.JPGP1013482.JPGP1013544.JPG

And lastly, here's some from overnight.
cranes 1.jpegcranes 2.jpegcranes 3.jpeg

I didn't take all of these photos - I wasn't living on site the whole weekend, much as I love getting on site...

I hope you enjoy the pics.

This coming weekend also sees another major possession for us. Lots more OLE works happening, plus more work on the water main diversion, and a few other bits.
I'll also be on site again, so should bring you more photos next week.

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
Hi everyone.

@neill - Great pics as always. Nice to see the wider view while I focus on the stuff closer up. One day you'll get me in one of your photos!

View attachment 143286

Rear of front face wall of platform 3 in foreground, rear wall of platform 4 in background. This area is where the tracks will be moved to this coming Christmas.
View attachment 143287

View attachment 143288View attachment 143289View attachment 143290

View attachment 143292View attachment 143293View attachment 143294
This is a future services run / UTX. We're building this section before we build the tracks on this side. After Christmas, we'll then remove the existing tracks and construct the rest. This avoids us having to dig our operational tracks at all for this one.

View attachment 143300View attachment 143301View attachment 143302

View attachment 143304View attachment 143305View attachment 143306View attachment 143307

And a big focus of the weekend was installation of large OLE structures, for which we had a crane on site. Cranes always make great photos!
View attachment 143309View attachment 143310View attachment 143311View attachment 143312View attachment 143313View attachment 143314View attachment 143315

View attachment 143316View attachment 143317View attachment 143318

I didn't take all of these photos - I wasn't living on site the whole weekend, much as I love getting on site...

This coming weekend also sees another major possession for us. Lots more OLE works happening, plus more work on the water main diversion, and a few other bits.
As someone who's worked on OLE and ancillary civils like UTXs, the scope of this is incredible!
Hats off to you for adding this all on here.

Are this weekend's OLE works located down by Shepreth Branch Jn by any chance?

mr_moo

As someone who's worked on OLE and ancillary civils like UTXs, the scope of this is incredible!
Hats off to you for adding this all on here.

Are this weekend's OLE works located down by Shepreth Branch Jn by any chance?
It's certianly keeping me very busy, and there's always plenty to do!

I'm glad you appreciate the photos. :)

Works will be focussed in the main station area again. The new OLE structures we put up last weekend will be brought into use - lots of fixings and then wire transfers, and some demolition of old OLE masts if we can.

Farigiraf

Hi everyone.

View attachment 143286

View attachment 143287

View attachment 143288View attachment 143289View attachment 143290

View attachment 143292View attachment 143293View attachment 143294

View attachment 143300View attachment 143301View attachment 143302

View attachment 143304View attachment 143305View attachment 143306View attachment 143307

View attachment 143309View attachment 143310View attachment 143311View attachment 143312View attachment 143313View attachment 143314View attachment 143315

View attachment 143316View attachment 143317View attachment 143318

Looks to be coming along very quick! Is the planned opening still late 2025?

mr_moo

Looks to be coming along very quick! Is the planned opening still late 2025?
March 2025 actually!
And yes. Whilst, like all projects I would assume, we have our issues, surprises, changes, and queries about designs etc, so far at least we're on schedule.
We have two major stages for track layout changes, namely both Christmases, which we absolutely need to achieve, but we're fine for at present, and the station building itself hasn't really started much so who knows what fun problems await us there....

All in all though, yep, good so far. :)

adamedwards

When you move the tracks this Xmas will you put the points and crossings in for the other platforms or is 2023 simply slewing the existing track and Xmas 2024 for all the points and junctions? I'm making an assumption it has to be Xmas when such big things are done.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
@mr_moo I had no idea you were one of those building the station, that’s very exciting indeed and quite far from your usual base if I’m not wrong? Many thanks for the updates

WesternBiker

March 2025 actually!
And yes. Whilst, like all projects I would assume, we have our issues, surprises, changes, and queries about designs etc, so far at least we're on schedule.
We have two major stages for track layout changes, namely both Christmases, which we absolutely need to achieve, but we're fine for at present, and the station building itself hasn't really started much so who knows what fun problems await us there....

All in all though, yep, good so far. :)
Thank you very much for the continued (and informed) updates!

I am a regular visitor to the south of Cambridge, so I'm taking a great interest in progress and it is great to see things happening on the ground.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When you move the tracks this Xmas will you put the points and crossings in for the other platforms or is 2023 simply slewing the existing track and Xmas 2024 for all the points and junctions? I'm making an assumption it has to be Xmas when such big things are done.
Post #723 replied that the alignment outside the platforms would still be temporary. I assumed that meant the full S&C would only be fitted later on.