• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge South new station construction progress.

Alfie1014

Who decides if a station will be written as 'Cambridge South' or 'BRENT CROSS WEST' on the building exterior? I thought there were now recognised style guides on type faces, text sizes etc?

(I think upper and lower case is far neater FWIW).
The guidance (not legislation) is that lower case should always be used because all the evidence is that it’s easier to read for those who may have problems reading as the ascenders and descenders (I think these are the right terms) on the individual letters help some recognise the shape of words. I wish it was more rigorously enforced as at times we seem to have a hotch-potch of styles and fonts!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

camflyer

Hopefully some thought it being put into route-finding around the Biomedical Campus. It is going to be quite a hike from the new station to most of the Addenbrookes departments, especially Outpatients. Plus there's the new Children's and Cancer hospitals being planned which will only add to the number of people wandering around the site.

neill

Couple of photos from earlier this afternoon showing progress during the possession this weekend. I hadn’t appreciated the conductors are actually made of copper (coated?) wire.

Attachments

• IMG_5424.jpeg
    IMG_5424.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 263
  • IMG_5426.jpeg
    IMG_5426.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 266

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Couple of photos from earlier this afternoon showing progress during the possession this weekend. I hadn’t appreciated the conductors are actually made of copper (coated?) wire.
Good to see a project making rapid progress unlike some others.

snowball

Established Member
Indeed I think contact wire gets worn down (or rather up) substantially over time, so any coating might not last long.

vic-rijrode

Perhaps of there was a kiss and ride site in Haverhill it might take quite a lot of traffic off the A1307 reducing congestion and pollution.
If it ever opens, I want to be one of the first to use the kiss and ride site - sounds intriguing if rather too energetic for me these days.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Wasn't Kiss + ride a bit of a publicity gimmick somewhere that renamed their drop-off points for Valentines?

Not sure about that. The term has been in use for at least 30-40 years to my knowledge.

stuu

Established Member
Not sure about that. The term has been in use for at least 30-40 years to my knowledge.
It was used by BART in San Francisco in the late 60s - my dad had a "Future of Rail" or similar titled book from around then which included a diagram of a station next to a freeway - I remember being horrified as a child that you had to kiss someone to get on the train

Magdalia

Established Member
Will the existing tracks need to be moved to make way for the edge of platform 2 to be possible
My understanding is that is what is going to be happening in the Christmas/New Year block. On 2 January 2024 the trains should be running on the tracks through platforms 3 and 4.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Will the existing tracks need to be moved to make way for the edge of platform 2 to be possible
Definitely, the tracks currently in use are roughly where the future P2/3 island will be.

I think, (estimating from the first image in post #784), that the levelled base for the P2 wall will overlap the left hand ends of the current up line’s sleepers.

Last edited:

bspahh

Established Member
If there is will it be occupied? Only the Costa at Cambridge North has being taken. The convenience store is still vacant though I think the wider area if coming along and that might go into a unit opposite the station and hotel.
There is a Co-op open at Cambridge North, in the ground floor of the building opposite the station and hotel. It has quite wide ailses, a couple of Costa coffee machines, and 3 other machines for various drinks/milkshakes/ice creams. It open from 6am to 11pm Monday to Saturday, 7am-10pm on Sunday.

The unit in the station itself is still empty.

MikeWM

Established Member
There is a Co-op open at Cambridge North, in the ground floor of the building opposite the station and hotel. It has quite wide ailses, a couple of Costa coffee machines, and 3 other machines for various drinks/milkshakes/ice creams. It open from 6am to 11pm Monday to Saturday, 7am-10pm on Sunday.

Thanks - I'd entirely missed that this has opened, which doesn't say much for my observation skills :-/ I'll take a look tomorrow.

Edit : it is now tomorrow, I took a look when passing and saw it :) I was expecting it to be in the unit closest to the station - which is still empty - so that's my excuse for missing the obvious!

Last edited:

neill

Here is how things were looking this morning. Looks like the foundations for the west side of the station building have been poured.

Attachments

• IMG_5493.jpeg
    IMG_5493.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_5496.jpeg
    IMG_5496.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_5495.jpeg
    IMG_5495.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 212

TheDavibob

Is there likely to be much in the way of weekend closures in the New Year? Nothing showing for Jan/Feb, which surprised me a bit but that might be me being overly pessimistic

Class 170101

Established Member
Is there likely to be much in the way of weekend closures in the New Year? Nothing showing for Jan/Feb, which surprised me a bit but that might be me being overly pessimistic
Have a look here its probably further ahead than looking at Real Time Tains and the like but won't have exact timing details

TheDavibob

Interesting, thanks - I'd been looking at Great Northern's equivalent which is not as complete (e.g. 3/4th Feb isn't on theirs).

Skimble19

Established Member
Interesting, thanks - I'd been looking at Great Northern's equivalent which is not as complete (e.g. 3/4th Feb isn't on theirs).
Saturday 3 / Sunday 4 February and Saturday 2 / Sunday 3 March are both no trains between Royston and Cambridge.

neill

Here is a new view for the thread - north from the Long Road bridge. Showing some new OLE bases/mast which I assume are for the station work as well as a new foundation just to left of shot which may not be related.

Work continues on the station site but not much visual change so no photos.

Attachments

• IMG_5542.jpeg
    IMG_5542.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 146

59CosG95

Established Member
Here is a new view for the thread - north from the Long Road bridge. Showing some new OLE bases/mast which I assume are for the station work as well as a new foundation just to left of shot which may not be related.

Work continues on the station site but not much visual change so no photos.
The mast on the Up side looks like it'll be for a cross-track feed (XTF); in that case, the foundation to left of shot (on the Down side) is very much related!

neill

Here is the view of the station this morning. More concrete going in for the station building, some wires in the ducting under P4, and a big pile of earth has appeared where the forecourt will go.

Attachments

• IMG_5568.jpeg
    IMG_5568.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_5569.jpeg
    IMG_5569.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_5570.jpeg
    IMG_5570.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_5571.jpeg
    IMG_5571.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 181

Netwrox

View of the new (temporary?) track layout looking north from Addenbrookes road bridge. Station site in the distance.

Attachments

• IMG_3280.jpeg
    IMG_3280.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 171
30.12.23 Cambridge South

20231230_112025.jpg
Looking towards Cambridge
20231230_112030.jpg

20231230_112102.jpg
New track passing platforms 3 and 4
20231230_112139.jpg
Station area...

20231230_113231.jpg 20231230_113302.jpg Old track

Attachments

• 20231230_112129.jpg
    20231230_112129.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 122
  • 20231230_112129.jpg
    20231230_112129.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:

neill

Are the new lines temporary or final?
My understanding is a bit of both; the lines through the new platforms are final, but the lines that slew across are temporary and will be replaced by a final layout next December which allows access to all four platforms.