• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Camera eating Batteries too quickly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

I have the Megxon S307 camera, and ever since I got it...if I put two AAA batteries in it, they will be dead in 5-7 minutes...from new. Obviously not ideal for taking pictures of trains.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

JsT and Seth recommend I take a look at rechargeables, will this help me?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kris

I found that with my first Fuji ...... gobbled the batteries up unless you used rechargable.

Next Fuji though with an XD card - they'd last for quite a while

Hmm, seems like alot of people cured it with re-chargeables...

It's hard to find a cheap charger and a cheap set of AAA's though.

Dennis

Established Member
Sounds obvious, but make sure the batteries are the same 'age' (with the same amount of charge), otherwise they will simply work against each other and that the contacts are perfectly clean.

Established Member
Hmm, seems like alot of people cured it with re-chargeables...

Ive got some mine last 2 or 3 hours in my old camera! New camera is AAx2 lasts about a day on all the time , and a week in on and off

Jordy

Established Member

A 'cheap' set may defeat the object, they would soon experiance memory loss and be un-useable. Get a decent make like uniross, and get batteries that don't suffer from memory effect, then they'll last much longer :)

Jordy

Darandio

Established Member
When I first started taking photographs I tried Duracell but the 2 AAA's only lasted for no more than 18 pictures. I then saw some batteries in 'Poundland', Memorex energy+ Alkaline and when I put them in my camera a couple of weeks ago, have taken 120+ photographs, viewed them etc and they are still in the camera. Quite unbelievable really and you get 6 for a pound.

Bill EWS

The best way to use Rechargeables is to keep them in the same set, whether using two or four at a time. Mark them 1,2,3,4 or a,b,c,d and keep them together with an elastic band as soon as you remove them from the equipment and until next use.

As has been mentioned above, it isn't a good idea to mix these batteries and have them at different charge levels. The stronger one(s) will try to charge the weaker ones and can easily get very hot or even catch fire. Always charge the set together. This method also extends the battery's useful life.

If you have to replace a failed battery of a set, either dispose of them all, split a set of four into two, or if keeping a set of four charge the new battery on it's own first, then charge it again with the set of four. Most modern chargers carry out a 'discharge' prior to charging and this will balance all four batteries. From this you will understand why it's not a good idea to leave batteries in the equipment for long periods of unuse. Always remove them. Better safe than sorry.

I find our local weekly market the cheapest place for rechargeables and buy them as a set of four. The make I have been using for a long time now is the Uniross 1800 maH. The 'maH is important (whichever brand name) as these are the strongest for using in digital equipment such as cameras, portable radio/tape and DVD players. They always last a reasonable time, even when using flash.

I trust that this is of some interest.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

Kris

The stronger one(s) will try to charge the weaker ones and can easily get very hot or even catch fire. Always charge the set together. This method also extends the battery's useful life.

BillEWS.

Forgot about that - it's a scary thought your camera going up in flames whilst you're out and burning the place down.

And don't try and fix them yourself! I dropped one and tried to fix it myself - no batteries in but somwhere it retains a charge. I got a belting shock - Tasered by a camera :shock:

Is there some sort of residual power supply in them?

Darandio

Established Member
Won't there be some sort of power supply to keep the internal memory?

Bill EWS

If a bettery fails quite suddenly and you don't know why, dump it. Its not worth taking a chance with them. Older batteries held a certain charge otherwise they couldn't be recharged. Some more modern batteries can be dropped to zero. It's something to do with the type of metal used, and do doubt more modern technology. I'm not that technical. But it means that you can recharge them at any stage of useage. The battery for my 350D is one of these.

When a battery shows recharging is required it doesn't mean the battery is dead, just low enough to stop the equipment from working. The 'red' light indication is set to that point, or higher if it gives prewarning.

In the case of the camera itself, I would imagine that there us some form of capacitor used to store a voltage and assist in battery life by simply taking the amount of power required at that particular moment. I once had a nasty shock from an old valve radio after it being removed from the mains over 15 minutes. Thankfully, the screwdriver took the jolt and the point was completely melted. I would think most radios, TV etc will hold a charge for a time after being switched off, the batteries being removed or unplugged from the mains. Capacitors, in the case of TV's can be in the 1000's of volts.

Overhead and third rails will also retain voltage after switch off, which is why they must be completely earthed before and during any work carried out on or near them. Just a break in the wire or rail won't fully discharge the voltage and you will be in danger until it is fully discharged or earthed. The simple answer is just to keep away from them unless you have authority and training to be there. Anyone getting within 9 feet of live overhead wires will probably not remember the outcome.

Whatever, from all this chat I think we can take it that you just don't mess about with these things, not even the common or garden battery!

Cheers.

BillEWS.

devon_metro

Established Member
Use rechargables. They come in different strengths (if that makes sence!)

2500 is good. I have never yet seen the Battery Low icon on my camera!

Thanks to Bill EWS and everyone who posted...my camera only takes two AAA's so, could I charge two AAA's use them with my camera, then charge the other two AAA's and have them on standby?

Bill EWS

Yes, that's correct. Keep the two sets separate from each other so that you always know which set is which. Good luck.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

Kris

Must admit - they did tell us about residual current on my traction course . Didn't expect to find it in a little camera though.

Bill EWS

Darandio,You are right! I don't know about all digital cameras but the Canon 350D has a separate lithinium battery, in it's own storage compartment. This battery has a 5 year life and is for keeping the time, date etc. Just as your PC has.

I forgot to mention Poundland. This is where I purchased the Duracell batteries that you described ,for my photo shoot with the new FinePix 2600. At £1 for two batteries they work out very economic and have a very reasonable life span. I required four batteries but even at £2 was still a bargain.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

Craig

Established Member
Get yourself a decent set of Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) rechargeable batteries from someone like Uniross - the higher the mAh rating the better. It may seem like a bit much to spend, but you'll end up saving money in the long run.

You can also do other things to save your battery life such as using the viewfinder rather than the screen for taking shots.

Hi Craig, my camera takes AAA's so I got some Uniross 1000 mAh batteries with a Uniross charger.. 1000 was the best I could find.

As my camera is a domestic digicam, it doesn't have a viewfinder, so it will be hit & miss with the screen off..

Craig

Established Member
I think 1000 mAh are the highest Uniross do in AAA, they should be fine. Although it you plan to use your camera a lot it might be worth picking up a spare set of batteries.

If you only have a screen then you better use that. I'd rather see 1 well framed shot rather than 10 dodgy ones :lol:

I was flicking through the various screen options, and it has the normal screen with the zoom toolbar and all the gadgets on, the next one had a grid , the next had just what the camera could see and the next setting was off.

Thanks for your help chaps, I hope it works!

Nathan

The temperature can shag a pair of batteries quite easily. So if its cold keep them in a coat pocket nearest you body.

Definatly, on boxing day last year i had battery problems because each set lasted little over a minute! Don't find a problem with hot temperatures, its only cold that effects its power isnt it?

Darandio

Established Member
Definatly, on boxing day last year i had battery problems because each set lasted little over a minute! Don't find a problem with hot temperatures, its only cold that effects its power isnt it?

Extreme hot will affect power but we don't have to worry about that in this country.

Nathan

Extreme hot will affect power but we don't have to worry about that in this country.

Thank goodness for that, i always make the most of summer at least then my rechargables last a day of photing. In winter i need more batteries than them alone :(

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks to Bill EWS and everyone who posted...my camera only takes two AAA's so, could I charge two AAA's use them with my camera, then charge the other two AAA's and have them on standby?
Yes but if they're Nickel metal hydride they won't keep their charge for a long time, for example, charging a spare set and not using it for a week and then trying to use it will not give you the full amount of capacity, due to self-discharge.

By contrast, Lithium ion batteries will last ages (although performance degrades after a few years when they need to be replaced). They're expensive though, this is the sort of battery you'll get with a SLR.

I find that, by combining the fact that my SLR has a viewfinder (much better than using a screen!), with it's lithium ion battery, I rarely have to charge my camera, and it lasts for many, many shots before needing to be recharged.

Andy

Yes but if they're Nickel metal hydride they won't keep their charge for a long time, for example, charging a spare set and not using it for a week and then trying to use it will not give you the full amount of capacity, due to self-discharge.

By contrast, Lithium ion batteries will last ages (although performance degrades after a few years when they need to be replaced). They're expensive though, this is the sort of battery you'll get with a SLR.

I find that, by combining the fact that my SLR has a viewfinder (much better than using a screen!), with it's lithium ion battery, I rarely have to charge my camera, and it lasts for many, many shots before needing to be recharged.

That would be 1100 shots as it says in the book yorkie ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.